New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Go for it! You can't do any worse than me at this point

On a more serious note, the best way I've found to learn how to play DF is by doing. I've learned a lot about military and farming in the past two forts that I didn't know before, and with any luck I'll eventually get trade figured out properly.

Also losing is Fun, so join in and have some Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Plus, if you post often enough, we'll see your errors and yell at you about how to fix them.
    But... if someone who literally doesn't know how to play tries to take up the reigns, won't they, like... destroy the fort out of simply not doing anything? Ack. But it looks so interesting.

I think I'm going to take a long look at the wiki.

Edit: Giant Sponges are effectively immortal? That's hilarious. xD
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2012-11-14 at 12:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to volunteer Tectonic Robot for the next year. With any luck it'll help increase my chances of adding to my list of fortalities
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

No volunteering others.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    But... if someone who literally doesn't know how to play tries to take up the reigns, won't they, like... destroy the fort out of simply not doing anything? Ack. But it looks so interesting.

I think I'm going to take a long look at the wiki.

Edit: Giant Sponges are effectively immortal? That's hilarious. xD
    Well, since we don't seem to have many players interested this time around, I'd encourage you to try for a year. If you use the wiki while playing, you shouldn't have any trouble with the basic mechanics.

EDIT: Extending applications for the next turn for a couple hours. If no-one is interested in playing the next year by 10:00, I'll take it.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, alright, I'll take the next year. @_@

now how do I get the fortress? >.o

7. - Top - End - #337
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

There's a link to the save at the bottom of my last journal entry. There's also a link to a map of the fortress, which you might find useful.

Go to where in your folders you have dwarf fortress. Go to data. Go to save. Unzip the save there.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, good luck Tectonic! Be sure to post something if you have any issues.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-14 at 09:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright... this afternoon... Dwarf Fortress! And learning how to play!

Kippy, if you see me on the IRC, feel free to bully me into Dwarf Fortress. >.o

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Booting up the game... looking at save... observing the fortress...

Realizing I have NO idea how to play. Bad feeling, that one. >_<

Right, expect some update logs today! Well, more likely tomorrow evening, but I'm working on it!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

When I first played, it was the control of menus that gave me the most trouble.

First off, "d" is designations, which are used to mark various things for doing. One option in the menu will be to mine a highlighted area, another to chop trees, etc.

Another important one is "b" for buildings, which allows you to construct various buildings for your dwarves to use. Under "b," "w" will bring up the workshops, which are the most important buildings, and "e" brings up various furnaces for metal processing.

"i" allows you to designate permanent activity zones, and "p" allows you to make stockpiles, which can then be assigned to hold various types of goods.

"q" is extremely important, and allows you to order dwarves to use buildings to do things when the building is selected.

That's most of the important ones; the others you can probably experiment to find.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

When I first played, it was the control of menus that gave me the most trouble.

First off, "d" is designations, which are used to mark various things for doing. One option in the menu will be to mine a highlighted area, another to chop trees, etc.

Another important one is "b" for buildings, which allows you to construct various buildings for your dwarves to use. Under "b," "w" will bring up the workshops, which are the most important buildings, and "e" brings up various furnaces for metal processing.

"i" allows you to designate permanent activity zones, and "p" allows you to make stockpiles, which can then be assigned to hold various types of goods.

"q" is extremely important, and allows you to order dwarves to use buildings to do things when the building is selected.

That's most of the important ones; the others you can probably experiment to find.
    Currently, I've spent most of time ogling the map while paused, and then letting it run by itself for awhile. Now there's a Kea Woman flapping around, and I had to ask Kippy how to get rid of it. >.<

I'm taking a break from experiments for the rest of tonight... sorry if my year takes awhile. This will probs be slow going. >_<

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'm half-way through Autumn, I think. Don't expect screenshots. >_>;;

I've recorded most of my misadventures... I'll make a post about what's been going down in a few hours.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

You can do it!

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, cheers. Was worried you hadn't managed to get as far as you did. Looking forward to the antics.

If you can't manage screens, don't worry about it. I'm sure the next round can take pictures of the constructions to post.

Or I'll just go in and grab some.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-19 at 01:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Posting to say that I might be up for taking the year after Tectonic.

Cleaning up is going to be so fun.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Posting to say that I might be up for taking the year after Tectonic.

Cleaning up is going to be so fun.

It always is.

Just be sure to post after I call for entries for the next turn, or I'll probably assume you reconsidered.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-19 at 03:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

*Refresh*

*Refresh*

...Nope...

*Continues waiting with great anticipation*

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

>_>;;;

Like... six hours, guys. Just six hours.

Then you can read about the amazing disappearing stairs, the terrible river almost-starvation, and the heroism of Miner Minerson.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

>_>;;;

Then you can read about the amazing disappearing stairs, the terrible river almost-starvation, and the heroism of Miner Minerson.
    YAY!

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope we're not all dead!

22. - Top - End - #352
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

>_>;;;

This was five and a half hours ago.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite 1: For some odd reason, the previous chieftain of the fortress, the great and noble Kpenguin, has seemed fit to entrust me with directing the fortress for the next year. I have no idea how to run a fortress. I have no idea how to organize a military. I barely even know how to farm, and that's my consarned profession. Yet, here I am, running a fort. Ah, well, it's only the second year. I can't demolish this place too badly in that time, can I? The drawbridge has been completed as ordered.

Granite 11: Tonight I had an awful nightmare. I had ordered the miner corp. to tunnel further into the mountain, and proceeded to flood the living crap out of the fortress. Thank Armok himself that none of that actually happened.

(Noobs get one free take back, right? Right? >_>;; Seriously. Tunneled five feet further in. Water everywhere. T~T)

Granite 16: I couldn't help but overhearing from our esteemed doctor, Kpenguin, that the supply of clean cloth was dwindling low. Gathering my wits, I made my first great dwarfish mandate: There would be a loom! I can see it from where I'm writing. It's a rather spiffy structure, if I say so myself. I ordered some mining to take place under the aquafier, and told the head of the engineers to build a lever to connect to the drawbridge in the caverns.

Granite 21: I saw my first birth as commander of the fortress tonight. Labilash has created new, beautifully dwarfy life.

Felsite 15: No one is mining out the underground. No matter how I bluster and shake my hands at them, they stay in the statuary and just... vegetate. I have no idea why they aren't listening to me. I must just be an awful failure-leader. Oh, and some elves showed up. Squatting on our front door. Dirty, crazy, hippie weirdos...

Felsite 27: I can ignore it no longer. Cattan Datashis, who was struck down by the dread minotaur, has risen up as a ghost. His corpse had been sitting in the hallway so long, we had forgotten it existed...

Hematite 7: Do you remember the time that no one would go down to mine, or even connect the drawbridge to the mechanism? I figured out why they weren't doing that. The staircase melted. Literally melted. Apparently they had made it out of ice. I ordered a new staircase built. Hopefully nothing as idiotic as this will happen again.

Malachite 5: I heard it mentioned offhand that one of the dwarfs was seen running around for rats on the other side of the river. I went outside, and observed a small crowd of citizens apparently trapped on the other side, panickedly hunting rats. Dumbstruck, I ordered a bridge made to allow them to simply walk back. However, the first bridge was too short to cover the river, so I ordered a second one made. To our craftsdwarf's shame, this one was also too short. Third time was the charm, though. Oh, and the commander of the militia gave birth. (How was I supposed to know you had to manually change the length and width of the bridges? @n@)

Malachite 9: A certain Reg gave birth as well!

Malachite 18: Nomal Ushatsemor, our metalcraftsdwarf, has gone completely bonkers. This is a bitter loss to us all. Her ability to craft metal will be missed deeply.

Malachite 17: A kea woman thief has stolen from us! The dastardly thief got away with some fish. If she comes again, we'll beat her to pieces. In less unfortunate news, migrants came! Our population is now at a burgeoning seventy one.

Limestone 14: Nomal Ushatsemor has died of thirst. Our sorrow is palpable. We made her a little coffin on the side.

Limestone 16: Today I heard a tale of deep bravery. Miner Minerson had gotten himself trapped at the bottom of a mineshaft. He was slowly dying from hunger and thirst, and had no way of calling for help. Then, suddenly, with a burst of strength, he built himself a staircase made of the stone he had been hewing and climbed to safety! He is a model for us all.

Limestone 18: Sibrek Cattanmozeb died mysteriously. It was either old age... or VAMPIRES.

Sandstone 26: Our fisherdwarf just ran into a workshop, mumbling madly!

Timber 6: Claspedhammer the Jungle of Fellowships! Elk Bone leggings, encircled with bands of oval gabbro cabochons. This object menaces with spikes of elk bones. On the item is the image of the Wasp of Blots in Giant Olm Bone. I am so, so proud.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Filthy, traitorous Ice. Never trust it.

So is that a full list of casualties so far? If somebody with a name dies, be sure to note their heroic / hilarious demise.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Filthy, traitorous Ice. Never trust it.

So is that a full list of casualties so far? If somebody with a name dies, be sure to note their heroic / hilarious demise.
    We lost the speardwarf, who was put to rest. Didn't note that down. >.>

Two dead bodies were found. It didn't mention they were drained of blood, but I might just be doing it wrong. Either we have a bunch of old dwarfs, or vampire dwarf!

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

...stuff, things and greatly amusing dwarven antics...
    (TO BE CONTINUED)
    Well done! I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how the rest of the year went for you. *goes prepares some popcorn in anticipation*

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone know what Broglins and Zoglins are? @_@

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

I think they're supposed to be goblins. My only contact with them though has been losing our desert fort to them, so I can't say for certain.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

They are clones of goblins edited in by Shpadoinkle to give us more enemies to fight.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I think they're supposed to be goblins. My only contact with them though has been losing our desert fort to them, so I can't say for certain.
    They are clones of goblins edited in by Shpadoinkle to give us more enemies to fight.
    They should each have their own quirks! @.@

I miiiight have lost some children to snatchers. I don't know. >_>;; the only one I caught dropped a baby out of a sack or something.

Spring is here! Just need to figure out how to save...