New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Under Esc.

To upload, you just take the whole region file in save, compress it into a .zip, and upload to the site where you got the first one.

And children don't matter, they can't work.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-21 at 06:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Timber 25: Sofipu the Broglin Snatcher! A dangerous criminal attempting to sneak into our fortress. He's shoved out with no worries. Couldn't catch him, though.

Moonstone 1: Winter is upon us! The river has partially frozen. Thank Armok we are a sturdy race.

Moonstone 2: Two more Broglin snatchers, in rapid succession! The brothers Anaro and Ost. They escaped, sadly.

Moonstone 13: Qz the Zorblin snatcher! A dangerous felon. He escaped too, however.

Opal 12: We have been quiet and industrious. Today, Kolad the Zorvin snatcher attacked, but ran before we could destroy him. We have a lot of pregnant dwarves sitting around...

Opal 16: OH DEAR ARMOK THERE ARE BABIES EVERYWHERE

Obsidian 20: Stasost, a goblin snatcher. Our ultimate enemies make their appearance. Stasost is no fool, however, and upon seeing our mighty militia commander, he flees without a second thought.

Obsidian 24: Today, a great deed has been accomplished. Our rangers were roaming when the terrible zorvin master thief, Luror, was spotted with a wiggling sack on his back! He loped away, laughing, dodging past dwarfs.... but our militia leader was faster! She caught up to Luror, and ruthlessly beat him into a fine paste! Truly a day to celebrate.

Granite 1: I hereby resign as leader of the fortress to pursue farming. I have gray hair where there was once only brown. To my successor: The fort is disorganized, our military is small, we lack bedrooms and recreation areas, and only one floor deep in the mine is smoothed. We are a bit of a fixer-upper, I'll admit.

Please ignore the grif bit, if he isn't chosen to go next!

And that is my turn. Yay~ @_@

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok!

To apply for the next turn of the fort, please post here within 24 hours.

I'll assume Grif is available, unless he specifies otherwise.

Nice work by the way Tectonic, hopefully you're feeling a bit better about your ability to play. I'm glad to see my second year difficulty theory working.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-21 at 07:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for pushing me to try, Luzahn.

And thank you for twisting my arm, Kippy. ^_^

And thanks for the support, wookietank! :D

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

I am available.

Already loaded the save.

Screenshots to follow shortly, since I think y'all would be curious on the state of the fort.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, you guys could just add a new map of the fort to the map I uploaded last time? At DFMA?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    You know, you guys could just add a new map of the fort to the map I uploaded last time? At DFMA?
    Now, now. What's the fun in that?

Here's a few screenies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    An overview of the fort.

The (poorly defended) entrance

Second floor

Meeting hall and stuff

The only entrance (so far) through the aquifier

And the new living quarters we're apparently digging about 15 Z-levels below the initial fort.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

*Shames into the corner*

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Grif, looks like you've got the turn!

Ensure that our deaths are funny!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the delay. I'm afraid things got a little busy on this side, so you guys might have to wait for a little longer.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK. I just actually started playing fortress mode.

I have no clue what I am doing. All that I know is that I want 2 miners on my next expedition; one isn't cutting it at the speed I want (yes, I went with the default).

Also, how the heck does one deal with the first migrant wave when you're already low on food? My first fort just starved to freaking death.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out farming. Food no longer a problem. Now I learn why you settle near a river, and not on a mountain (oops). Thirst die-off beginning about now.

Also, haven't found any metal or wood. Just rock and gems. And noone's come to trade.
    Last edited by McDouggal; 2012-11-26 at 05:53 AM.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Thank you for pushing me to try, Luzahn.

And thank you for twisting my arm, Kippy. ^_^

And thanks for the support, wookietank! :D
    Anytime! And congrats on doing better than I have so far in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    OK. I just actually started playing fortress mode.

I have no clue what I am doing. All that I know is that I want 2 miners on my next expedition; one isn't cutting it at the speed I want (yes, I went with the default).

Also, how the heck does one deal with the first migrant wave when you're already low on food? My first fort just starved to freaking death.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out farming. Food no longer a problem. Now I learn why you settle near a river, and not on a mountain (oops). Thirst die-off beginning about now.

Also, haven't found any metal or wood. Just rock and gems. And noone's come to trade.
    Wood will be in caves underground and only on the surface if you embarked somewhere with trees. Metal is also only present if it was on your embark screen. Also keep in mind dwarves are well-suited to underground farms, which just require being dug in a soil layer, or in the caves again.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrm... do we have a general thread for Dwarf Fortress? Or is this it?

In other news, I was inspired to create my own fortress. Mid winter of the first year! Started out on a big, empty plain. Everything is a glorious, unorganized jumble. Nearly did of starvation, then of thirst, before I traded all the bone crafts for booze. Good times, good times...

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Hrm... do we have a general thread for Dwarf Fortress? Or is this it?

In other news, I was inspired to create my own fortress. Mid winter of the first year! Started out on a big, empty plain. Everything is a glorious, unorganized jumble. Nearly did of starvation, then of thirst, before I traded all the bone crafts for booze. Good times, good times...
    We had one, but it fell off the page. I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss stuff, but if it overwhelms the succession game we may want to make another general discussion thread.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp.

We have a full-blown tantrum spiral on hand.

EDIT: kippy just went insane, and punched the brains out of three people before another brained him in the head with a timely fist.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-26 at 01:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Welp.

We have a full-blown tantrum spiral on hand.

EDIT: kippy just went insane, and punched the brains out of three people before another brained him in the head with a timely fist.
    Quick save the fort and post it. Then I can take over and you can keep your reputation unsullied and I can add to my infamy!
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Quick save the fort and post it. Then I can take over and you can keep your reputation unsullied and I can add to my infamy!
    Now where's the Fun in that?

Sorry Schylerwalker, you're now dead too.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly! Make a Dwarf Ark in the deep tunnels! Seal me inside! I will rule the darkness until the migrants come!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

(Note, I'm going to do an entry for each season, so you guys won't have to wait so long for the updates. Without further ado, let us begin.)

Journal of Trisit "Grif" Lisidreg, resident Miller
    1st Granite
    Well now. Since the previous leader made a right mess of things, the loonies of this place decided that I would make a better one.

The irony. *sigh*

Anyway, let's have a look of--

By the beard of Armok, we ran out of rum. All the rum! This must be rectified at once.

3rd Granite
    I don't like that big gaping hole we have in the middle of the fort. I'd asked those freeloaders to cover them.

Never know when someone might trip and fall. Huh. That was quick. I already started thinking like a proper overseer.

Also, one of the weavers got into a strange mood or something. I better keep an eye on him.

4th Granite
    Accursed thieves!

6th Granite
    So much for that. Our militia commander bashed the impudent whelp's skull in. Her mouth was also bloody for some reason. I decided not to ask too many questions.

7th Granite
    A casual inspection of the fort's entrance revealed one glaring flaw. We have no defenses at all. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Hell, a herd of elephant could stampede through the fort and we'd nothing but bad language to beat them back. I have already asked my advisors to draw up some sort of plan. Maybe we can use all those sand...

14th Granite
    These snatchers and thieves are driving me up the wall. There's only so much our commander could do. A poor child was lost to these good-for-nothing snatchers.

I have ordered the placement of cage traps. That should slow them. In the meantime, I assigned a few more warm bodies to the militia: those who know which one is the sharp end has been drafted.

27th Granite
    One of our babies drowned in a personal mishap. Meanwhile, the production of some actual dwarven rum continues to be held up because our damnable brewers can't find a single barrel to put them in. What a load of bull.

28th Granite
    Another found drowned at the river. I think the lack of drink is starting to drive us crazy...

15th Slate
    By Armok, someone actually went stark raving mad. The weaver suddenly flung herself at the nearest dwarf and starting biting and chewing. Fortunately our loyal dogs quickly surrounded her and chewed her head off before she could do more than make angry noises.

Also. Why is there a body in the middle of the dining room... I think I'm going to go and barf now.

24th Slate
    There are a lot of miserable faces in the fort... This can be bad. That ranger has been looking at people funny.

25th Slate
    And he gone berserk. Again, our faithful dogs put him down, but I wonder how much longer before the entire fort goes mad.

26th Slate
    Amidst the tantrums everyone is throwing now, I received news that some twenty-five migrants has arrived. I wonder just which who misled these poor sods into finding their way here.

6th Felsite
    The lye maker has been found dead in the common dorm this morning. His death however, was a mystery. No doubt our current lunacy has something to do with it though.

8th Felsite
    Another fisherman has been found de-- What is that? Someone has gone berserk!

30th Felsite
    So many deaths... I can only list them down here. There's just too many to describe. The whole place is falling apart...

Spoiler
    Show

A sample of the state of the fort

(OOCly, this probably will result in the loss of half of the population of the fort. We should be able to survive, as migrants just came in and they all are for most part, seem unfazed by the current tantrums. We are going to be very vulnerable to any goblin ambush/siege though.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-26 at 01:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that's good. If I may ask, what is the status of my dwarf?

Also, I'd recommend setting up a small corridor into the fort and lining it with stonefall and cage traps, or just sealing up entirely if we're attacked.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Ah, that's good. If I may ask, what is the status of my dwarf?

Also, I'd recommend setting up a small corridor into the fort and lining it with stonefall and cage traps, or just sealing up entirely if we're attacked.
    You, Miner McMinerson and Tectonic are alive for most part. I'm not how long that'll last with all the tantrums and berserking going on.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, excellent. Hopefully I'm not throwing tantrums / sad.

I'd recommend starting to churn our wooden and stone coffins, if you aren't already. Drafting some of the migrants to those jobs should ensure that they get done.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-26 at 03:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Ah, excellent. Hopefully I'm not throwing tantrums / sad.

I'd recommend starting to churn our wooden and stone coffins, if you aren't already. Drafting some of the migrants to those jobs should ensure that they get done.
    Already two mason's workshop dedicated to this. Don't think I'll be resorting to... wood coffins yet.

You know it's bad when I have to do that though.

EDIT: Fort reduced to 27 dorfs now. Fun. I have sealed up the entrances. You probably won't get a detailed account of the blow-by-blow, seeing how everyone is now dead.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-27 at 03:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    EDIT: Fort reduced to 27 dorfs now. Fun. I have sealed up the entrances. You probably won't get a detailed account of the blow-by-blow, seeing how everyone is now dead.
    *checks back a bit* Down this far from 82? Yikes!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    *checks back a bit* Down this far from 82? Yikes!
    Yeah. Between a goblin ambush, tantrum spirals and what I think is a vampire loose, we lost almost 2/3 of the fort over the course of summer.

EDIT: And now we have a siege.

At this point, I can either hilariously play out our deaths, or we can restart with a new fort.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-11-27 at 09:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll put my vote in for Hilarity. Sounds more Fun than starting a new fort right away. With any luck the fort will make it to the end of the year and then I can do what I do best with the fort.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

We're fiiine. Sealed up we're invincible. Just wait for the siege to end or build a safe marksdwarf area and shoot at will.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

I destroyed the fort guys

It was me

I'm the source

;_____________________________________________;

30. - Top - End - #390
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Nah, nah. I should have thought to set up defenses in year one. Blame it on me
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)