New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Wow, what exactly are you doing to cause all of these cave-ins?
    I don't think I've ever had a cave-in death apart from a couple of aquifer breeches being unlucky. I assume it's part of the modifications to the entrance?

However, I'm liking the military situation. Be sure to sell anything we can spare for some weaponry and armor.

Oh, and what's the happiness status? Are most of our dwarves at least not unhappy? Or are we still in a bit of a tantrum spiral?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-29 at 06:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Wow, what exactly are you doing to cause all of these cave-ins?
    I don't think I've ever had a cave-in death apart from a couple of aquifer breeches being unlucky. I assume it's part of the modifications to the entrance?

However, I'm liking the military situation. Be sure to sell anything we can spare for some weaponry and armor.

Oh, and what's the happiness status? Are most of our dwarves at least not unhappy? Or are we still in a bit of a tantrum spiral?
    Well, I did what I normally do to save my fortress, assigining a large space to dig ramp and then build a bridge up there. Don't know why the ramps are falling down, maybe because there were still trees up there and they dug the ramp under the tree and it fell down.
    However, now I'm carving channels, they still collapse from time to time but the miners get bruised instead of dying instantly.

From my point of view the tantrum spiral ended with the death of most of the dwarves who came here first. Now I have only one unhappy dwarf, that's the husband of the cook who died because she couldn't find a shop where she could create her legendary item. And their baby died, too, so this dwarf is quite unhappy. All others are mostly neutral.

I got a bit surprised that the wife of my overseer was elected as mayor, didn't realise exactly when that happened but it's quite funny

I bought mostly food from the human merchants but I will buy weapons and armor when the dwarves come through. But now that I have a Leather workshop and a wife who might be a quite competent leather worker I could sew some leather armor together untill we find iron.

And the forgotten beasts are all sealed away in inaccessible caves. I recommend opening these only after we have at least one full squad with fully armed dwarves.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

It sounds like we still have migrants then.

Poor sods. They never knew what they're in for.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yeah, the ramp thing is likely caused by stupid AI then. They dig in bad patterns and cause cave-ins. Channeling ensures they're above it most likely.

5. - Top - End - #425

And this is autum and winter (Autum was pretty uneventfully):

5th Limestone: A broglin snatcher! Let's see if our one man army is fast enough to kill him.

6th Lomestone
    : Nope.

9th Limestone
    : Another snatcher. This time the human merchants were fast enough.

19th Limestone
    : We got migrants again! 13 people arrived im Likotavuz despite the danger. Mostly farmer, trapper and fisherman but we got one blacksmith and one mechanic. And two of them know on which end to hold a weapon. They are assigned in the army before they got a bed in the bedroom... which reminds me, when the diggers finished the entrance we need to build some rooms again.

We got a talented broker. Now we can really begin trading.

1st Sandstone: A Kobold thief appeared. And disappeared as fast as his legs could take him.

3rd Sandstone: And now our engineer got a baby! The whole fortress celebrates, it's a new beginning!

1st Timber: The first entrance bridge is constructed. We are linking it to a lever and are designing the second bridge. Everything is working out fine. And our new bedroom is constructed, too. My wife will get a dining room and I will get a workroom for my bookkeeping. I'm pleased.

10th Timber: And now a kid has grown up to be a peasant! I will assign her to be our stone detailer. Our bedroom need some ornaments.

18th Timber: We caught a snatcher! The broglin just walked into our entrance traps. And the caravan from the mountain homes arrived. Maybe I can sell them our cought prisoners for some armor and weapons.

20th Timber: An ambush! I hope our mountainhome friends have brought military. This time the broglins are attacking again.

23rd Timber: Yes, they did. Bring an army I mean. One of the sefending dwarves is injured but all broglins are dead. We are now collecting their weapons and clothes.

6th Moonstone: We traded! Now we have weapons, armor and cheese. Yes, I like cheese.

13th Opal: Our rooms have been smoothed and the first image is engraved. It shows some cut gems. I love it and Urist, my wife, is pleased, too.
    The second image shows a dwarf named kpenguin who's surrounded by rats and is terrified. It's a bit creepy but we still love it. It reminds us that there must have been inhabitants in this fortress before we came.

16th Opal: The entrance bridges are build! I'm linking the microcline bridge to the lever and then we are secure. I'm thinking if we should build the walls at the other entrance only in case of emergency.
    I build doors there, if there is an ambush we can easily barr the doors and build a wall on the other side.

And another snatcher is found in the cages.

6th Obsidian: Kivish, our Carpenter and Trader, has given birth to a girl! Normality has got us. It's the first baby girl that was born since I'm bookkeeper.

11th Obsidian: Our flat is getting nearly done. And the new engraver is making progress. At first she only engraved pictures of a dwarf. Now we found her engraving pictures of two dwarves!
    And it's very nice from the engravers that they made a picture of the naked mole dog leather leggings my wife made in our bedroom. Very stimulating.

13th Obsidian
    : Just noticed my wife mandated something. Must have overheard it when she told me her wishes in the morning. Ah well, at least she had some sense to demand something useful. We are making wooden bolts now. I hope she will be happy.

18th Obsidian: A Zorvin ambush! I l rang the alert and let the doors close. Hopefully they get caught in the traps. Oh, and it's a good opportunity to test the bridges.

21th Obsidian: One of the Zorvins got into the fortress but a dog and a hunter killed him. Sadly there is another ambush and two fisherman didn't get into the fortress in time. I fear there is no hope for them.

And thus ends my mandate as overseer. I will stay bookkeeper and help my wife mayoring as good as I can but now another dwarf will see what he can do out of the mess.

Here is the link to the download

Well, thank you for messing around with this fortress, again I learned new things (Never used the alert method but it seems quite usefull).

The doors are currently closed and there are Zoblins outside so look out before you open them again. One of the bridges is down, the lever is in the lever room, press F5 and search for levers, the north bridge is named "Entrance bridge up" and the south bridge "Entrance bridge south". I just realized I could have named them north and south but where's the fun in that?

The glass industry is currently producing green glass sarcophagi (at least that's what I told them to do, don't know if the lazy dorfs made anything) and maybe I forgot to assign sand collecting areas.

In the end I wondered why the wood in the storage is so low when there is so much wood lying outside but then I recogniced that all of this wood is forbidden. I don't know how to unforbid all wood at once and didn't want to click on every single wood so the next overseer can take care of it.

So good luck to the next one who gets the fortress, we have 40 dwarves now and they seem to be quite happy. Currently.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    And this is autum and winter (Autum was pretty uneventfully):

5th Limestone: A broglin snatcher! Let's see if our one man army is fast enough to kill him.

6th Lomestone
    : Nope.

9th Limestone
    : Another snatcher. This time the human merchants were fast enough.

19th Limestone
    : We got migrants again! 13 people arrived im Likotavuz despite the danger. Mostly farmer, trapper and fisherman but we got one blacksmith and one mechanic. And two of them know on which end to hold a weapon. They are assigned in the army before they got a bed in the bedroom... which reminds me, when the diggers finished the entrance we need to build some rooms again.

We got a talented broker. Now we can really begin trading.

1st Sandstone: A Kobold thief appeared. And disappeared as fast as his legs could take him.

3rd Sandstone: And now our engineer got a baby! The whole fortress celebrates, it's a new beginning!

1st Timber: The first entrance bridge is constructed. We are linking it to a lever and are designing the second bridge. Everything is working out fine. And our new bedroom is constructed, too. My wife will get a dining room and I will get a workroom for my bookkeeping. I'm pleased.

10th Timber: And now a kid has grown up to be a peasant! I will assign her to be our stone detailer. Our bedroom need some ornaments.

18th Timber: We caught a snatcher! The broglin just walked into our entrance traps. And the caravan from the mountain homes arrived. Maybe I can sell them our cought prisoners for some armor and weapons.

20th Timber: An ambush! I hope our mountainhome friends have brought military. This time the broglins are attacking again.

23rd Timber: Yes, they did. Bring an army I mean. One of the sefending dwarves is injured but all broglins are dead. We are now collecting their weapons and clothes.

6th Moonstone: We traded! Now we have weapons, armor and cheese. Yes, I like cheese.

13th Opal: Our rooms have been smoothed and the first image is engraved. It shows some cut gems. I love it and Urist, my wife, is pleased, too.
    The second image shows a dwarf named kpenguin who's surrounded by rats and is terrified. It's a bit creepy but we still love it. It reminds us that there must have been inhabitants in this fortress before we came.

16th Opal: The entrance bridges are build! I'm linking the microcline bridge to the lever and then we are secure. I'm thinking if we should build the walls at the other entrance only in case of emergency.
    I build doors there, if there is an ambush we can easily barr the doors and build a wall on the other side.

And another snatcher is found in the cages.

6th Obsidian: Kivish, our Carpenter and Trader, has given birth to a girl! Normality has got us. It's the first baby girl that was born since I'm bookkeeper.

11th Obsidian: Our flat is getting nearly done. And the new engraver is making progress. At first she only engraved pictures of a dwarf. Now we found her engraving pictures of two dwarves!
    And it's very nice from the engravers that they made a picture of the naked mole dog leather leggings my wife made in our bedroom. Very stimulating.

13th Obsidian
    : Just noticed my wife mandated something. Must have overheard it when she told me her wishes in the morning. Ah well, at least she had some sense to demand something useful. We are making wooden bolts now. I hope she will be happy.

18th Obsidian: A Zorvin ambush! I l rang the alert and let the doors close. Hopefully they get caught in the traps. Oh, and it's a good opportunity to test the bridges.

21th Obsidian: One of the Zorvins got into the fortress but a dog and a hunter killed him. Sadly there is another ambush and two fisherman didn't get into the fortress in time. I fear there is no hope for them.

And thus ends my mandate as overseer. I will stay bookkeeper and help my wife mayoring as good as I can but now another dwarf will see what he can do out of the mess.

Here is the link to the download

Well, thank you for messing around with this fortress, again I learned new things (Never used the alert method but it seems quite usefull).

The doors are currently closed and there are Zoblins outside so look out before you open them again. One of the bridges is down, the lever is in the lever room, press F5 and search for levers, the north bridge is named "Entrance bridge up" and the south bridge "Entrance bridge south". I just realized I could have named them north and south but where's the fun in that?

The glass industry is currently producing green glass sarcophagi (at least that's what I told them to do, don't know if the lazy dorfs made anything) and maybe I forgot to assign sand collecting areas.

In the end I wondered why the wood in the storage is so low when there is so much wood lying outside but then I recogniced that all of this wood is forbidden. I don't know how to unforbid all wood at once and didn't want to click on every single wood so the next overseer can take care of it.

So good luck to the next one who gets the fortress, we have 40 dwarves now and they seem to be quite happy. Currently.
    Yes, the forbidden wood thing would be my doing. It was initially done to have the dorfs not go out when I was still debating to seal the fort. But I sealed it up anyway as you guys know. Just mass designate to reclaim the items outside.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Mine now? Or is there someone else in the queue?

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Ah, all right. I'll give priority to Zar then. But if noone else new shows up you should have precedence for the next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Mine now? Or is there someone else in the queue?
    I think that means it's your turn unless someone completely new shows up in the next 24 hours and signs up. I think it's a save bet to take it. Good luck!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, technically we'd need to do the 24-hour period, though to keep things going smoothly, I think I'll start taking signups for the next turn while turns are going, if no-one objects. We'll do the 24-hour period if nobody else is in line. That should speed things up a bit.

Gnoman, I'd say you're free to do the next turn, but to accommodate for the change in rules I'll give people 12 hours to sign up. If anyone shows up, we'll roll for it. You'd probably be safe starting now though, just keep in mind that you could end up losing the turn to someone else.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind being reDorfed as any male smith, if the next player gets a chance.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-30 at 06:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't do it for a few hours anyway, so that's fine.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Mass designation or using the stocks screen should clear this right up.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm assuming it's my turn, since there's been no other candidates.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Granite, 115
    So the loony running this fort up and quits, and sets me in charge. There's still hostiles running around out there, and he just quits. Well, now that I'm in charge, I shall make bags no longer. From this day forward, my entire industry will be devoted to the making of glorious, glorious bolts.
    OOC: Our only legendary craftsdwarf was working to pound out bags at a dabbling level of skill. I've drafted the carptenter as a jeweler and the ranger to clothesmaking.
    9 Granite
    Our manager has been struck by a mood!
    19 Granite
    Not having done much hauling, I decided to take a close look at the way stockpiles were set up. I was not pleased. There was a large everything stockpile, a finished goods pile that also accepted stone, the gems were stocked next to the old forge, and there was a literal nothing stockpile next to the forge that I can only assume was intended for occasions when a specific metal was desired. I have begun reworking these stockpiles, aside from the ones by the forge. Those have been removed because we are relocating metalworking to the magma sea.
    21 Granite
    Our warriors have engaged the enemy. The ambush squad blundered into our traps, which crippled two of them. This evened the odds enough that I felt it prudent to engage.
    26 Granite
    We are victorious, though at a terrible cost. Three of our warriors fell in battle this day, and another was badly maimed, losing an arm and a foot. I suspect he will never work or fight again.
    1 Slate
    Going over the inventories, I noticed that we now have many many barrels of blood. I don't know why.
    12 Slate
    MIgrants have arrived, despite the danger. This was badly needed. Nearly all were immediately drafted into the militia, though there were a few that had useful skills. We now number 63 doomed souls, and have two full squads of militia, with a second archery squad in progress.
    24 Slate
    With the additional labour provided by the migrants, the cleanup from the recent battles is going well. I have turned my thoughts toward future battles, and have ordered a bridge built at the entrance hall. In battle, we can retract this to can gain time to reload our traps, or we can trap small groups of enemies in that corridor and deal with them easily. I was quite wrong about our wounded hero. She can't move very fast, but proved quite willing to work once she was given a crutch. I've removed her from the mining corps, and set her to work in the smelter.
    19 Felsite
    Elven merchants have arrived. I'll load them down with as much goblin crap as they can carry.
    An ambush squad seems to have followed them in. It is time to see what these new troops can do.
    3 Hematite
    The goblins have been repelled, with one of them slain and others badly wounded. The cost was high, however, with two soldiers and a peasant killed, and one soldier losing a hand. Annoyingly, the elves now refuse to trade, despite clogging the depot.
    13 Hematite
    Due to poor judgment in setting up the magma operations. the hero has beem killed by a magma man.
    OOC note: The way that the magma was run didn't do a thing to prevent magma creatures from getting out. I'll redesign the furnaces so that this won't happen again.
    10 Malachite
    The renovations in the magma metalworking area are complete, and production resumes. I've ordered much of our large stock of weapons melted. Except for the silver hammers, most were quite subpar, and we will be able to get more use out of them if we forge better ones.
    15 Malachite
    An engineer has been taken by a mood!

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, it is absolutely your turn now. Sorry for not mentioning it; I assumed it was implied.

I like this, the fortress is doing well. Do we have any marksdwarves, by they way? They'd be invaluable against enemies crippled by traps, no sense in risking troops in melee there.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-01 at 07:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Squad and a half, though there's been some losses. Whoever comes after me should really consider breaching the aquifer again. It's turned into a huge bottleneck.

Edit: And I'm done.

Spoiler
    Show
    25 Malachite
    The engineer has created an artifact mechanism. I've used it to build a trap in the entryway out of the many wooden weapons we have.

22 Galena
    An ambush has come, close on the heels of a human caravan. A kobold ambush. They were easily killed, although one archer was killed by a kobold, while another drowned in a pool after a careless dodge.
    22 Limestone
    More Migrants have arrived. There are now 85 of us. For some reason, this fills me with dread. I've prepared a secondary entrance, blocked with floodgates, for the use of wagons.

22 Sandstone
    I noticed that a fallen warrior had been left to rot on the battlefield. As I unleashed my fury on the nearest peasant, it explained that we're out of coffins. Wonderful. I've started a production run on coffins.

12 Timber
    The caravan has arrived. Five wagons, plus six pack mules. All soldiers are on high alert.
    14 Timber
    The bookkeeper that used to rule this place has been taken by a mood.
    22 Timber
    I knew it. An ambush. Five Broglin lashers and one dwarf.
    23 Timber
    Five broglin bowmen and an elf lasher have joined the enemy.
    26 Timber
    The elf, the dwarf, three lashers and four bowmen lie dead, along with four of our soldiers. Due to a design flaw, the bridge that I intended as a gate did not block the entrance, and our troops poured out instead of remaining safe behind the traps. Still, the cost was not so great as to be unbearable.
    21 Opal
    A second forgotten beast now roams the caverns. A shelled, firebreathing cricket.

18 Obsidian
    We are besieged.
    1 Granite
    I have decided that this is too much to deal with. I'm going to retire and just make bolts from now on. Someone else can deal with this ruling nonsense.

Save:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/GITPDF/regionGITP.zip

We're in pretty good shape. The invaders already lost a lot of their animals, which were shot down from behind fortifications. It shouldn't take much to get them to flee if they come back toward the gates. I unstationed the military so that they could get food and water, so the next player will have to reactivate them. I built a very nice dormitory and dining room, which should go a long way toward keeping dwarves happy.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2012-12-01 at 10:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like we're doing well, great job there.

Please post within 24 hours if you would want the next turn.

As usual, I will be available should no new players be.

16. - Top - End - #436

My bookkeeper got into a mood but did he create anything? Or is his mind already gone to where no dwarf is supposed to go?

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

He made an artifact mechanism. Which isn't very interesting, and I was too busy to care at the time.

18. - Top - End - #438

Well, at least he's alive and a legendary mechanic now. Thank you!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, unless we get someone new within the next two minutes, it looks like I have this turn.

If you are interested in playing the next turn, please post during the time I am taking mine. Anyone is welcome to apply; Decisions will be made based on the recency of your last turn; new players will be rolled between each other for priority.

A bit of play, just to check out the situation:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mayor's Log, 1st Granite 116

Having recovered from that nasty knock on the head*, I awoke to find myself elected Mayor, in addition to my usual smithly duties.
    Unfortunately for the fort, it seems we are besieged by those blasted not-goblins again. And they're riding bloody dragons. Wonderful.
    With all the disorder around here, I can't even make out whether the fortress is actually sealed or not. All of this living in the soil is damned irritating; I shall begin efforts to relocate fully under the aquifer line.

2nd Granite 116

Bah, this place is a mess! Previous oversees seem to have taken special efforts to make everything in the stone layer completely asymmetrical. And we seem to just craft in the middle of the floor.

No, this won't do at all. However, the military situation is far more pressing. We're dealing with 45 active goblins from the looks of it, each riding its own beast of war. We'd be doomed if the damned fools knew how to dig.

3rd Granite 116

Before any work goes into this place, we'll need to deal with those goblins. I am sending our marskdwarves into that center structure of the map. The plan is to rain bolts down on the lashers, retreating when their own crossbowmen retaliate.

Hopefully this lot can follow orders better than most.

4th Granite 116

Bwahaha! Look at those fool goblins run!

Sadly, these fools seem to be using wooden bolts, but progress is progress. At least the enemy is scattering. We've got a bit of metal out there; just enough that the goblins know to flee.

And it's always good training. Unless one of the fools manages to fall. Wouldn't put it past this lot.

15th Granite 116

We kept the barrage up for a couple of weeks; No goblins have been slain, but a good number have been driven off, and the remains of the organized force are organized across the river.

I am ordering a tunnel dug to the opposite mountain, from where we will either set up an archery emplacement, or just collapse the tunnels beneath the army.

Bah, nothing is close enough. Once this situation is over with, I'm going to begin construction of various guard towers surrounding the fort. That should allow us to mobilize archers anywhere safely.

For now, the Skybridge will be extended from our aboveground fortification, and will allow our marksdwarves to rain death.

* Death and subsequent suspicious reincarnation

20. - Top - End - #440
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

*catches up on thread*

Looks like Fun has been had :)

And again, if you could Dorf me as a dabbles-in-everything-but-legendary-at-nothing guy at some point I'd be happy :) (sounds like that's all you had after the insanity outbreak!)

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Its looking that way. Anyone who wants a Dorfing, please post. I think all of the previous ones have been murdered horribly; a quick look showed only Zar and Gnoman alive.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to be redorfed. Make me the greatest warrior we have left! Ahahahaha~!

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll take the hapless carpenter which I made my last post with, if he's still alive. (Tulon Otsusdomas was the name.)

EDIT: Can we have an updated map as well?
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-03 at 01:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't exactly know how to do that; Have some screens!

First, the new Dwarfees. Tectonic has been made Commander, by the way.

Spoiler
    Show

A map of the Fortress:

Spoiler
    Show

You can see the building where I was posting marksdwarves here.

Urgh, I hate engravings without texture packs.

Zar's Artifact:
    Spoiler
    Show

Filthy Goblins (Mounts shown for clarity):
    Spoiler
    Show

As a bonus, what little play I did before hate for the marksdwarves got the better of me:

18th Granite 116:

I have ordered the construction of a pair of siege workshops. The plan is to set up a ballista emplacement and bombard the goblins at range. That'll teach them to group up.

25th Granite 116:

Aha! The river has thawed. Now to find the controls to that bridge, and we can take out those lashers.

27th Granite 116:

Aargh! There is a werechameleon in the fort!

Well, next to the fort. He's in the locked trade depot with that goblin cave dragon that's been lying there.

If we're lucky, he'll take care of that problem. If we're not, at least being a werechameleon doesn't make a dragon any stronger.

The dragon won. I'm scared of that dragon. I am now sending in the militia to deal with it; Once our halls are clear, we can begin to retake the surface. Damn whoever left that bridge unlinked; It could be the death of us all. But probably not.

Success. The dragon dies, though one of our recruits has lost an arm. Remind me to commission Trapmaster Zar to construct a mechanical limb for her. And to make a decent hospital in the depths.

With its death, I've ordered the destruction of the river bridge. Once it is down, we will be able to deploy archers with ease.

6th Slate 116:

These incompetent fools can't even manage to tear down a bridge. Apparently shifting food from one pot to another is higher priority.

Finally, Grif is moving to the bridge.

18th Slate 116:

The siege is broken; The goblins ran in fear after the barrage slew several of their mounts. The heavy forests were their greatest ally; We may be forced to fell the trees to remove this advantage in the future.

19th Slate 116: A ranger apparently leaked out to hunt while the bridge was being demolished. He encountered a small force of Broglins who did not flee with their comrades, and was slain. It is time for another hail of bolts.

It also appears that one of our marksdwarves had crossed to fish. She has been critically injured, but managed to slay one of the four, and is now awaiting rescue. Hopefully we reach her before the goblin's comrades return.

These damned stupid archers have lost four of their number now. They've managed to sneak across the river at a low point, and engaged the goblins one at a time. However, their sacrifice has ended the siege, and shown a dire weak point in the river. Of course, the main problem there was that they had all been equipped with wooden bolts. No stopping power there.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-03 at 05:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd like a redorfing, preferably as a sword dwarf!
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

26. - Top - End - #446

Why wood bolts? With the magma access, we should be rollin in metal by now. Are we lacking ore? At the very least, slaughtering those dead mounts should upgrade us to bone.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

How do magma forges work with rolling in metal? Also, thank you! My dorf looks competent. ^_^

And the fort has gotten big. :O

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Plenty of metal; the previous overseers hadn't restricted military to metal bolts, and I didn't think to check. I wasn't expecting the dwarves to be able to cross at the river's entrance to the map, but apprently it dropped to four occasionally.

Luckily we've still got plenty of military, I drafted replacements from markssquad 2. Magma forges are doing great, churning out more cheap copper bolts now. And Tectonic, you're looking to become one of our miners at this rate. Need to shore up the supply after Gnoman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mayor's Log, 15th Felsite 116:

The Elves have arrived. A perfect chance to obtain some cloth for our hospital.

16th Felsite 116:

A child has withdrawn from society. I guess we have a prodigy on our hands, though at his age he's likely to make some useless figurine. At least his works will sell well enough.

18th Felsite 116:

Another bloody siege has arrived. Why must we live in a world with three hostile goblin civilizations?!
    I haven't even put up the new defensive structures!

...Or linked the new river bridge. Unfortunate. It looks like it's the Zorvins this time. Well, thank Armok they have no archers this time. Sadly, we're going to lose quite a few dwarves who were out in the field at the time. With any luck, the lone archer out with the garbage detail can buy the civilians time.

The Zorvins have cut them off. I have ordered the sealing of the fort, leaving two farmers, the broker, a mechanic, a carpenter, a smith, and a legendary stonecrafter to their fates, alongside two brave marksdwarves. They will be avenged.

(No named dwarves, luckily. Damned Olms are fast.)

Accursed fools! Somebody dug a path to the trade depot which bypasses our front gate and traps! We're completely undefended!
    We fight for our lives. While commander Tectonic sleeps.

21st Felsite 116:

Casualties outside are unknown, but after a brawl in the Trade Depot between the 1st Melee Squadron and one wing of the enemy forces, we have slain this group with two military casualties. Some of those trapped outside have made it in, but another group has been cut off by a wave of trolls entering the map. The doors partitioning the Depot from the fort have been blocked by Zorvin corpses, so I have ordered the sealing of the interior of the fort. Hopefully we manage this before the Trolls reach us, or the military will be lost.

26th Felsite 116:

The fort is secured, though I have been forced to abandon the upper levels. The Trolls don't seem all that inclined to break down the open door; Perhaps the bodies block it effectively? Regarless, the military made it inside.

I am also beginning efforts to secure the upper levels again by walling off their entrances, though I may wait until the Trolls are eliminated.

A carpenter stuck outside was lucky enough to be holding a steel battle axe. He has been drafted into a suicide squadron, which with luck will allow him to kill his pursuers and survive.

He has managed to kill a troll with no injuries. I am deploying an archery squad to assist him from above. We are now down to 72, with six military casualties and an unknown number of civilians.
    (Still no named people as far as I'm aware.)

Bah, the Carpenter is dead, though the trolls were wounded enough that this barrage should eliminate them.

9th Hematite 116:

Lost another recruit. The fool wandered past that door which inexplicably blocks the trolls and was killed.

I have begun forging some copper trap components and bolts to supply the men. We'll need them

12th Hematite 116:

Somehow, a single fisherdwarf defied the lockdown and wandered off to go fishing while I was sealing the fort. He's not worth opening back up for.

I have ordered a tunnel to the opposite end of the river, where a large force of Zorvins is camped. If they wish to engage our marksdwarves, they will need to travel far to cross the bridge. The tunnel will also be lined with traps, which the marksdwarves will retreat down.

The hero of the Battle of the Trade Depot has taken the name “Schylerwalker” for himself, which is good. Dwarf needs a title.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-04 at 01:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449

Oh, can I be redorfed as well, by the way?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Why wood bolts? With the magma access, we should be rollin in metal by now. Are we lacking ore? At the very least, slaughtering those dead mounts should upgrade us to bone.
    There was a huge stockpile of wooden bolts when I started. I was already in the process of switching to bone for training due to the legendary bonecarver, but that didn't get as far as I would have liked. Most of the metal availiable on my turn was very poor for weapons, except for the silver. Silver only makes good hammers. Copper isn't all that good for bolts.

That alternate path to the trade depot should be left closed except in the human and dwarf trading seasons. Wagons apparently can't cross traps or something. The floodgate lever is just above the goods stockpile on the other side of the wall from the depot.