New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    There was a huge stockpile of wooden bolts when I started. I was already in the process of switching to bone for training due to the legendary bonecarver, but that didn't get as far as I would have liked. Most of the metal availiable on my turn was very poor for weapons, except for the silver. Silver only makes good hammers. Copper isn't all that good for bolts.

That alternate path to the trade depot should be left closed except in the human and dwarf trading seasons. Wagons apparently can't cross traps or something. The floodgate lever is just above the goods stockpile on the other side of the wall from the depot.
    ...****, it had a lever? I assumed it was just an opening someone dug...
    That one hadn't been labeled, and I assumed it was waiting to be linked to the bridge.

Well, those deaths were worthless. Just three militiamen, but still. At least it took a bunch of Zorvins out, and now we can regain full access to the fort.

And Kpenguin, any specifications for your Dwarf?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-04 at 05:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the FBs in the caverns?

And have we reclaimed all the stocks left outside? Or has the continual sieges/ambushes prevented that? Should be a fair amount of metal to melt least.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Everything that was outside when I started was brought in on my turn, and mass melting had begun. I also ordered iron and steel anvils from the dwarven caravan for melting purposes, along with every ore and metal.

Sorry about not labeling the floodgate lever to protect the depot. It's the bottom of those two levers next to the depot.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

The perpetual sieges have been stopping any operations outside; I thought I had a window after the first one, and wound up with dead dwarves. We'll hopefully be clear after this one.

I've begun to move stuff into the undercity, carving out rooms down there.

There are still the two FBs in the caves. I was beginning work to kill them with cave-ins when the siege struck; I'm not risking any more guys to go in and kill them. One breathes fire. I want to clear them out to make a well for the hospital, though.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-04 at 05:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    The perpetual sieges have been stopping any operations outside; I thought I had a window after the first one, and wound up with dead dwarves. We'll hopefully be clear after this one.

I've begun to move stuff into the undercity, carving out rooms down there.

There are still the two FBs in the caves. I was beginning work to kill them with cave-ins when the siege struck; I'm not risking any more guys to go in and kill them. One breathes fire. I want to clear them out to make a well for the hospital, though.
    Hm, would it be better to leave the hospital on the floor above the aquifer instead? I did dig a well there.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Hm, would it be better to leave the hospital on the floor above the aquifer instead? I did dig a well there.
    Eh, It's personal preference. I like the look of the stone smoothed as opposed to the plants and stuff in the dirt layers. Plus it's closer to the rest of the stone fort and further removed from fighting. Once I get the well there's no problem, I just need to kill the beasts first.

I've already begun moving workshops and stockpiles down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mayor's Log, 14th Malachite 116:

The child has finished a stone boat artifact, and is now a Legendary Stonecrafter. Damned little prodigy refuses to work, though.

Also, I have banned the export of giant axe blades, for obvious reasons. We need an extra supply of trap bits to ward off the siege. Plus, it'd be a shame to sell that kind of wonderful, shiny technology to the humans.

As it turns out, because I was too slow making the giant axe blade I had mandated, punishments were due. As a result, our mason has been lightly beaten, though he seems fine.

It's not up to me to judge our ancient and honored justice system, but it seems a bit foolish.

2nd Galena 116:

Not much to report. The fortress is cleaning itself up while we wait out this siege and make preparations to strike back. The Copper bridge over the river has been linked up, and the floodgate wall around the Depot has been repaired. Now we'll be able to strike the goblins from across the river. It's a shame we appear to be low on leather. We could use more quivers.

17th Galena 116: Another siege has arrived. Great. The first one hasn't even left yet!

Now they have both sides of the stream.

Well, apparently the remaining Zorvins have retreated. Perhap they fear the true Goblins?
    Luckily, the Goblins have arrived with only a small group. We should manage to cleanse the valley of their filth.

2nd Limestone 116:

The hail of bolts has killed a couple of the invaders, and the rest are now fleeing the field.

The long siege is lifted. We gather the dead.

In less militant news, a fish dissector has withdrawn from society.

In sad news, our swordsdwarf Tectonic is very unhappy. Partially from a long patrol during the siege, but mostly because he lost a few comrades. Schylerwalker had made another kill, a surviving Troll, and has gained a military title. Unfortunately, the thing is so damned long that I can't read it.

Our fishedwarf has carved an artifact figuring of a Night Creature slaying a dwarf. This place seems to be getting to people...

16th Limestone 116:

We've engaged one of the Beasts in the depths. Sadly, Schyler has lost his sword hand to the monster. We lost two soldiers to the monster, but it was finally felled by the savage shield-bashings of Schylerwalker. And the good news is, he appears to be able to hold his sword and still use a shield! However, poor Tectonic has thrown a tantrum, though his mood is slowly improving with his new, larger room.

And to end this log for the time being, the Chief Medical Dwarf has taken the name Kpenguin.

Spoiler
    Show

(If you want something else tell me. We've got a couple more diagnosticians, though she is the best.)

28th Limestone 116:

Well, the statue I made to cheer up Tectonic appears to depict myself...

I think I'll keep this. Or set it up some where public.

9th Sandstone 116:

Migrants! Hopefully we'll get a caravan this year, though it is looking more and more unlikely.

We have a new marksdwarf, a peasant whom I have assigned as a miner, another useless dwarf, conscripted to smoothing duty, a promising macewoman, an axedwarf, and a couple more marksdwarves.

2th Sandstone116:

No! The fire-spitting beast has found its way between the cavern layers and has snuck into the fort! The army is mobilizing, but this could get bloody. Most of the military looks to be on fire.

A Blind Cave Ogre! It has friends!

Gnoman has been slain, along with most of the military. And most of the fort. We're down to 58. The beast has finally fallen, with Gnoman and Schyler slain out of the named dwarves.

Further causalties. The poison beast escaped not long after the fire-spitter, and its glass form has proven near impossible to destroy. Tectonic fought bravely and gravely injured the beast, but suffocated due to its lung-destroying poison, along with the rest of the militia. We've also lost Kpenguin to an ogre, which followed the beasts up.

I managed to finish off the Ogre, with my silver hammer. That bastard was damn near invincible. We have paid dearly for them, but for now, the caverns are ours. We stand at 46 now, though a rotting plague spread by the beast seems to be beginning.

15th Timber 116:

We are besieged again. Why must these fortresses always be hells on earth?

They've made it inside. I've given a final order for survivors to barricade themselves into the lower levels. Perhaps some can survive.

*This journal lies in a pool of blood, a broken silver hammer lying beside it*

We've got about 20 dwarves lock inside one fortress level. We can survive this, many of them are happy, but it is very bad. Those damn forgotten beasts were extremely powerful, and waited weeks after I opened the seemingly cleared cavern level to attack. Must've been connections between them somewhere. There's still about a season left; Any opinions on how to proceed? Never thought I'd be the one to lose the fortress, but multiple sieges in a year does that, I guess.

That, and an idiotically reckless opening of the caverns; I just wanted to regain access to everything.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-05 at 02:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

It sounds like Luzhan dorf has a thing for Tectonic dorf? :O

Also, is Tectonic dorf still alive? D:

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated the post with the last horrible hours. All names dwarves are dead except for Turbo.

Well, technically Zar is alive, but he's hiding in a corner from the 30 + Elk Bird cavalry.

You can see Tectonic's final act up there, he suffocated from poisoning after severely wounding the poison beast.

Well, post if you want post-apocalyptic redorfing.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-05 at 02:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free to redorf me as the first unnamed dorf you find next time you're playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

I think, given the state of the fort, I'll give you whatever leader they select.

Give you a chance to stave off your destiny.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

Please tell me that was a biting poison, and not a spray or dust. If it's a contaminant, we may be royally screwed.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, technically Zar is alive, but he's hiding in a corner from the 30 + Elk Bird cavalry.

I like my dwarf...

But he propably lost wife and kids so he may not be amused to be still alive, even if he survives the Elk Birds.

If an able Mechanic arrives I would like to be redorfed, when the old one is dead.

And just make sure that at least one dwarf survive till Spring so Wookietank can take the fortress next round
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

So far we've only got one necrotic dwarf, which I've sealed up in the hospital. It could have been bitten by the beast. The dead military seemed to get massive doses of the spray while fighting, which initially caused sluggishness, but with enough of it seemed to shut off the lungs.

I don't think the necrosis is part of that syndrome, but I'm not sure. But what's an isolated pocket of survivors without a little horrible plague, eh?

And I think we'll make it, once i seal off the doors around the stairway. Once the goblins leave, we can expand back into the main fortress.

I'll try to micromanage you Zar, but outside the stone layer there's not much I can use to wall you off.

EDIT: Well, this is terrible. I tried to take out the stairway to avoid the trapped dwarves starving/dehydrating to death, but the goblins managed to slip in first. The survivors are a child locked in his room, a grown dwarf locked in another room, a few people locked in the hospital too injured to move much, and Zar Peter, who has been locked in a small passage in the fort with water and grass. So he could live, if he doesn't go insane from the misery. He's also slightly injured from beating up his one goblin pursuer.

EDIT 2: Bah, we're dead. New fort time! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7198

Please post withing 24 hours if you are available for the next fort. Anyone who has already played is free to take another turn with the fresh fort.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-05 at 06:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    And just make sure that at least one dwarf survive till Spring so Wookietank can take the fortress next round
    I'm totally okay with this!

...stuff and such...

EDIT 2: Bah, we're dead. New fort time! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7198

Please post withing 24 hours if you are available for the next fort. Anyone who has already played is free to take another turn with the fresh fort.
    But... But... That was my job....

Dibs on next turn regardless! I'ma thinking of doing a seaside fort, since I've never done one of those before.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I'm totally okay with this!

But... But... That was my job....

Dibs on next turn regardless! I'ma thinking of doing a seaside fort, since I've never done one of those before.
    Seaside forts are fun. You get stone and aquifer.

Also bonus points for taming a sea creature. I've always wanted to do that.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Will have an update sometime this afternoon once I get home and actually have acess to DF, let the Fun begin! (again, or still? Don't care! )

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Will have an update sometime this afternoon once I get home and actually have acess to DF, let the Fun begin! (again, or still? Don't care! )
    You may want to wait for others to have a chance to apply for a turn. You're free to search for a site to propose though, or to start play if you feel confident that you'll wind up with the turn and want a head start.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I won't have acess to DF for another 7 hours or thereabouts, so no worries on getting too ahead of myself.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Looks like wookietank is getting first run at this fort. Better gear up for the next one
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I don't remember if we got the statue of me up before the last fort was destroyed...I know either Gnoman or Grif has a silver one up in the main hall, for the admiration of future explorers.

This new fort will be eaten by giant sea slugs within the first two months. Either that or we'll flood.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 04:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm available for a turn. I suggest that the new site have no aquifer, at least on part of the map.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, excellent. Looks like we'll actually have some competition.

For the new fort, I've stopped counting recency of the next turn, just to ensure that we're actually getting people. Once someone has a turn with this fort, people who haven't have priority. Completely new players still get priority, though. Except for me, of course, as we wouldn't want two sequential turns by the same player.

Does anybody object to the winner getting choice of embark site?

Bwahaha! My efforts to make the rules unnecessarily byzantine and assume control myself are progressing perfectly!
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 05:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

That's fine with me.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, my roll of this convenient D6 has determined that Gnoman has the next turn! Sorry Wookie, but hey, now you have a better chance of destroying this one.
    Take your revenge on the works of Gnoman!
    Gnoman, please lead us to riches and glory. And a death rate under 20%.

And if you're customizing the embark, I prefer to be Dorfed as a male blacksmith of some kind.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 05:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After a few months of terrified lurking in the DF thread, I've finally installed and started my first fort. I'm going to play a few years of this self-made fort, just too get used to the basics of the UI, then I'll end my lurking and try to topple Wookieetank's record for number of Forts inadvertently destroyed.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    After a few months of terrified lurking in the DF thread, I've finally installed and started my first fort. I'm going to play a few years of this self-made fort, just too get used to the basics of the UI, then I'll end my lurking and try to topple Wookieetank's record for number of Forts inadvertently destroyed.
    Very nice, that's usually the best way to do it. You're probably safe asking any questions you have here; The discussion thread died a while back.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Planning to try something a bit different with this fort. You can ignore if you choose, of course. I reccomend that each overseer upload a dfma map to avoid disastrous lever problems. If need be, I can download each save and do it, though the overseer would then need to add points of interest.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11500-swordsavior-regiongitp
    Journal of Gnoman Crestedlenses, Bowyer

1 Granite, 117
    We have chosen a site for the new settlement. It is warm here, and we expect to find much metal. We have learned from the fall of Inkmined the dangers of the beasts below, as well as those above. The most important lesson, however, was the dangers of poor organization. I have decided, not without complaints from my fellows, to build up rather than digging down. Though our main passages will be underground as normal, we will not risk the dangers below for the sake of working space. In time, we will seek the hot blood of the earth, of course, but that is for a later day. We will also build a great wall around the settlement, pierced with many fortifications. Nevermore will our enemies be able to escape our archery by simply avoiding one spot.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it. Is the water crossable, or not? If it isn't, our fortress could span the river, it'd look nice and provide a guaranteed source of water.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 06:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Not natively. It's trivial to add bridges, and I like the idea of having the river down the center of the fort. Metal should be very easy to get this time around, though I don't know what sort of metal, of course. I brought a little tetrahedrite and magnetite to get us started.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent. I mentioned crossability not as a concern, but because it would be nicer looking and more defensively useful to have a bridge down the center, which wouldn't work with a brook, or whatever the shallow ones are called.

And for metal, I'll guess galena and gold.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 06:49 PM.