New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Ug. At this rate, I'll have nothing done. Need migrants badly.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume it's slow going with the building of walls? The newer updates caused multiple blocks to be made from each stone, that would speed the process.

If not, use the current guys as a flexible workforce. Switch them to masonry / mining / woodcutting at will.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-06 at 07:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the sheer number of constructions I'm doing that's the main problem. Mostly working with wood atm.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, too bad. Logs don't seem to do the multiple-block thing. My only suggestion would be to assign more dwarves as carpenters for the time being.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

1 Felsite
    I have decided to open a small quarry outside the planned wall. The planned construction project will overwhelm the lumber supply.

15 Felsite
    A minor cave-in in the quarry has left the miner with some bruises.
    8 Malachite
    Migrants have arrived. This should speed construction massively. I will have to order some of the animals slaughtered to feed them, unfortunately. There are now 15 of us. Many of the migrants had been trained in combat, which will be of great use once we forge arms.
    17 Malachite
    The blacksmith we have been using as a miner has died in a falling accident. She will be buried outside the wall.
    16 Galena
    Today, I personally installed the minecart that will be used to ferry stone from the quarry to the fortress. This will make things far quicker than moving those heavy boulders by hand.
    7 Sandstone
    More migrants have arrived. We now number 17.

I found a surprise aquifer in the rock mine, which luckily was easily contained. It is astonishing how much faster moving rock with a minecart is, though we didn't really need one yet. It will be simple enough to extend the track later, of course.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Ok, my roll of this convenient D6 has determined that Gnoman has the next turn! Sorry Wookie, but hey, now you have a better chance of destroying this one.
    Take your revenge on the works of Gnoman!
    Gnoman, please lead us to riches and glory. And a death rate under 20%.

And if you're customizing the embark, I prefer to be Dorfed as a male blacksmith of some kind.
    No worries, I kinda crashed and burned after work today and almost didn't get on my computer at all this evening until I remembered I had volunteered for the fort. I wish you the best of luck Gnoman!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    After a few months of terrified lurking in the DF thread, I've finally installed and started my first fort. I'm going to play a few years of this self-made fort, just too get used to the basics of the UI, then I'll end my lurking and try to topple Wookieetank's record for number of Forts inadvertently destroyed.
    It is mine! Mine I tell you! No one shall take my glorious record from me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never actually had any reason to use a minecart. Maybe it's just that I've become used to compressing all operations together.

It really works well if you're doing a quarry I guess, rather than using whatever stone you get from digging rooms.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I've never actually had any reason to use a minecart. Maybe it's just that I've become used to compressing all operations together.

It really works well if you're doing a quarry I guess, rather than using whatever stone you get from digging rooms.
    I obviously don't have any experience with them, but it seems to me like minecarts could be really helpful in giving your fort more flexibility/defensibility. Rather than one big fort which can be overrun with one perimeter breach, you can build an interconnected set of mini-forts, any one of which can seal itself off from a compromised location.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

24 sandstone
    An immigrant ranger has been injured in a minecart accident, cause unknown.
    19 Felsite
    The caravan has arrived
    27 Timber
    We have purchased a large quantity of food from the caravan, along with some leather, booze, empty barrels, and a lone copper bar that was the only raw metal that they had brought along. I have requested metal bars and ore for next year. They have asked for maces and amulets, a request that I feel certain we can meet.
    1 Granite
    Spring has arrived. I am now handing control over to a successor.

Turn Summary
    Births: 0
    Deaths: 1
    Kûbuk Ostarnish, Metalsmith. Suffocated after a mining accident
    Migrants: 11
    Moods: 0
    I had just discovered chalk in the quarry, and had begun small-scale steel production. I have yet to find any metal ores, though lignite is extremely plentiful, so we should have no concerns about running out of coke any time soon, so long as mining continues energetically. The stockpiles are set up in a very controlled manner. Take extreme care to understand why a stockpile is set up the way it is. I am labeling all such stockpiles on the map.
    Map
    http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11505-swordsavior-regiongitp
    Save
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/GITPDF/regionGITP.zip

I did not finish paving or furnishing the dining hall, and there are no roofs over the workshops. Both of these are mostly cosmetic. I also forgot to add a corpse stockpile near the butcher's shop when I moved it, or to forbid corpses from the old stockpile. This is extremely important, and should be fixed immediately.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent, we're looking to be in good shape. I love doing outdoor forts, it's always a source of good work to do, though with the sieges we've been suffering, we may need to move into the stone later on. At the moment we can be shot pretty easily.

Please post within 24 hours if you would like the turn. Anyone is free to play the new fort, so long as they haven't gotten a turn at the new one yet.

I'll be putting my name in for the next turn this time.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

I certain be-flippered mobster has twisted my arm, and I will be offering my excellent management skills for year two. All hail the robot. @_@

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

I intended for the wall to continue on the other side of the river, but there was no way I was going to finish that. So I left it for someone else to do.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, sounds good. If I get the turn, I think I may make one of the walls double-thickness , and line traps between the two layers. That used to be my standard defense for my outdoor forts, a sort of murderhole.

Since it looks like the walled area accross the bridge will be smaller than the other. I think I'd build a sort of citadel over there that leads down into our stone fortress. However, we should try to continue acting like humans, to confuse the enemy. Humans aren't nearly as good at defenses.

By the way, when did wagons lose the ability to cross traps? I've only been noticing that in the very newest version.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-09 at 07:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm really not sure. They didn't work at all for a long time.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I certain be-flippered mobster has twisted my arm, and I will be offering my excellent management skills for year two. All hail the robot. @_@
    I'm wookieetank, and I approve this message.

I'll also throw myself in as a candidate.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, it is time to roll the Die of Judgement. Damn those extra 20 minutes that I should technically wait.

And the winner is...Wookieetank. May he stave off ruin for another year.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-10 at 03:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Save is up and working. Follies and foibles to follow.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Wookiee, your grinning peeking Wookiee is terrifying.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-10 at 07:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Should be fixed now, and made of at least 50% more awesome.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

When the next turn rolls around I would like to try. I finally stuck with a fort long enough to witness the horrible deaths of my citizens. My question is I want to know, how rare is it to be able to have part of an embark be in the middle of some peaks? The fortress has a staircase stretching about a hundred Z levels from the bottom to the top. It just seems to be a little large.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Wookieetank Overseer Extrodinare:

Spoiler
    Show
    2nd of Granite, 118: First order of business is to make some mechanisms. Should we run afoul of the natives the bridge must be raised! Must!

10th of Granite, 118: The lever has been completed! And a guard house is being built around it so that it can be used in safety.

18th of Granite, 118: Migrants arrive, and ushrir Shedimamost has been taken by a fey mood. What madness is this?

21st of Granite, 118: Urst McCrazylongname has claimed a mason's workshop and begun a mysterious construction.

23rd of Granite, 118: We seem to have run out of lignite. I'm not sure if we brought that with us, or found it here. Exploratory mining has commenced to find some more either way.

25th of Granite, 118: We now have Dallithuvoth a chert quern in our possesion. In other news Urst Mccrazylongname has upgraded from a stoneworker to a Mason.

3rd of Slate, 118: To celebrate the start of a new month, Gnoman is trowing a party at a chert Table. It seems someone has finally linked up the lever to the bridge, and after testing in the same of science! it proves to be in working condition.

10th of Slate, 118: I'm not sure who Uvash Inethilid is, but apparent they have become a Buck Rabbit. Great confusion was had by me, if not all.

21st of Slate, 118: I realized that I didn't re-raise the bridge and left several of our fellow dwarfs stranded on the far side of the river. This has now been fixed.

3rd of Felsite, 118: Nothing much interesting has happened recently, although Tholtig Rigothlumash is now a Hunter.

8th of Felsite, 118: Either our last migrant wave was much larger than I realized or we had a ninja migrant wave sneak in while I wasn't watching. Either way we're up to 44 population. Looks like we should get some sort of lodgings set up for all these dwarfs.

17th of Felsite, 118: Apparently we had brought the lignite with us, because it was annoucement worthy when we finally found some through mining. And now the earth shall be struck, repeatedly even.

19th of Felsite, 118: We've been invaded by pointy-eared tree hugging hippies of questionable parentage, wait, whats that? They're here to...trade? Are you sure? Wouldn't it be easier just to kill them and take their stuff? Not good for the PR you say? Rats. Wait, first elves, now thieves? The stinky hippies are behind this, I swear. I'll show them.

25th of Felsite, 118: For some strange reason the trade depot became unconstructed once the elves unloaded their goods. Guess I'll have to order the construction of a new trad depot... Its amazing how generous the pointy-eared tree hugging hippies of questionable parentage are when stange disaters occur.

1st of Hematite, 118: Summer has arrived on the calender.

8th of Hematite, 118: I'm not sure how safe of an idea it is to be giving birth while installing a roof on top of a wall, but Vucar Eturasdug has pulled off this daring feat.

17th of hematite, 118: Construction of a "new" trade depot has begun.

20th of Hematite, 118: The pointy-eared tree hugging hippies of questionable parentage "merchants" will be leaving soon. Good ridance, theives and nusiances the lot of em.

1st of Malachite, 118: Logem Izegaban, one of our esteemed carpenters has given birth to a girl. Yay for babies. Olin LIbashnikuz, has become possessed by the fey, and is in a mood. I swear all these crazy critters thinking they're people causing trouble, first elves *shudder* and now the fey, what next, sentient carp? It seems our moody dwarf has commandeered a Craftsdwarf workshop, hurray....

15th of Malachite, 118: More migrants have arrived, time to see how vastly our ranks grow this time. Looks like we have grown by 8 dwarfs, and I think counting the babies, it now puts us at a population of 54. Also apparently Olin is a bit of a slacker, because they just now are getting started on a mysterious construction.

20th of Malachite, 118: We now have a chert crown, and Olin has become a Stonecrafter. not bad for 5 days of work.

12th of Galena, 118: A human caravan has arrived. Hopefully they left their thieves at home, unlike those creatures that shall not be mentioned.

25th of Galena, 118: A kidnapper made off with one of our babies! These Humes are just as bad as the pointy eared hippies. There time will come, oh yes, it will. In other, COMPLETELY unrelated news, the search for the magma sea has begun. Also it seems that Gnoman's duties as party coordinator has been taken over by some no-name (Kogsak Zuglargur) engraver.

1st of Limestone, 118: For whatever reason, in these parts Autumn is the dry season and not summer. Whoever was the weather dwarf assisting in chosing this site for our fort should be fed to the carp.

8th of Limestone, 118: Get some freshair they said, build the fort above ground they said, it'll be good for everyone's health they said. Yet once again we have another snatcher, this time of the Broglin flavor. Why did we have to build aboveground with its lack of easily trapped entrances. More mechanisms! If nothing else, we shall have row upon row of cages.

16th of Limestone, 118: Another snatcher. Gorram hippy medical dwarfs and their *cough* elvish *cough* tendencies.

22nd of Limestone, 118: Another party is being thrown. Elsewhere a Baby is born to Inod Nishnecik. At least we're finally replacing the babies that keep getting stolen.

24th of Limestone, 118: More migrants! Nothing else to report at this time.

13th of Sandstone, 118: In my great planning abilities of awesome we are now making cages so that we can have actual cage traps...

18th of Sandstone, 118: Party number 4? (numbers are hard) is commencing. If only these layabouts would spend as much time mining as they do partying, we'd actually have enough stone to have a finished dormatory.

24th of Sandstone, 118: I was just informed that Tosid Esdorducim had been missing for a week mere moments before they were found dead, drained completely of blood. Looks like we now have an angsty, sparkly, "misunderstood" teenager on our hands, sigh.

4th of Timber, 118: Checking over things, it looks like even with the advent of our vampire, we've managed to grow rather large and now number at 67. It seems the drinks have run out, despite having a large number of plants... Hmmm. I think the parties will have to stop until the booze stocks are replenished.

16th of Timber, 118: It seems that the liasion from mountainhome has arrived today. After the incident with those that shall not be mentioned, I discovered that there were still trees within our fort. This shall not last for much longer.

18th of Timber, 118: After speaking with the liasion, I've requested they bring drinks, lots of drinks, and more mining implements. If we're going to resign ourselves to this healthy living above ground we're going to need a faster means of procuring building materials.

20th of Timber, 118: It seems Reg usankonos has a bit of backbone and a lust for battle, for this day he has assumed the role of militia commander, and without being told to do so. This dwarf shows initiative, I like that in a leader, he can keep his post.

26th of Timber, 118: Another party, and another baby. i'm not sure how heartily they'll be able to party without booze, but we dwarves are a industrial sort, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

28th of Timber, 118: Another snatcher has arrived, good thing we keep having babies I suppose. Time to see if our cage traps are just decoration, or actually of any use.

18th of Moonstone, 118: More parties and multiple babies. I'd say the parties are to celebrate the babies, but the parties start before the babies are born. I'm wondering if these parties are the cause of the babies...

22nd of Moonstone, 118: It seems our recent influx of babies has increased our population to 70, score. In other news, it seems we have lost the art of booze making. I shall go yell at idlers until someone can figure this out.

24th of Babies..I mean Moonstone, 118: Consideration is now being giving to creating a pool so that instead of no longer figuratively swimming in babies, we could actually be swimming in babies. The idea does seem to have some merit...

25th of babies (linky), 118: See last entry, my suggestion still stands.

27th if babies, 118: My bretheren must be bored this winter season.

28th of babies(linky2), 118: More babies, a pool area is now officially being built.

6th of Opal, 118: In other news, more babies! I wish there were something else to report, but things aren't too interesting right now. Although one of the dwarfs has been talking about a textbook on mating habbits of civilized folk.

17th of Opal, 118: In news other than babies (for once), Erush Kolzea is now a Fisherdwarf. I'm not entirely sure what good this does us, as I keep getting reports that various areas do not have any fish to catch.

1st of Obsidian, 118: iton Kibmishos, one of our "much valued" *snicker snicker* fisherdwarves, has been posessed by the fey and is in a mood. These pesky fey need to lay off, we have enough issues with this crazy baby infestation going on.

3rd of Obsidian, 118: Looks like we have a budding Craftsdwarf on our hand, as that would be the persuasion of the workshop that iton has taken control of. Apparently the sparkly, angsty teen is still on the loose, as another body, this time of the "esteemed" Sodel Rilbetlikot was found drained of blood.

15th of Obsidian, 118: Strange news comes my way today, outside of the obvious babies, Fikod Gusilvush has grown into a duck and an animal has grown to become a Stray Donkey. We live in a bizzare world.

16th of Obsidian, 118: A snatcher has showed up. At this point I'll happily trade him babies for booze.

18th of Obsidian, 118: It seems our enemies were not content with just snatching our excess babies, they have now mounted a full ambush on us. The lever shall be put to good use finally!

19th of Obsidian, 118: Our cage traps seem to serve no deterrent as we have yet another snatcher. I understand that our fort is full of the cries of babies, but at least have the decency to offer something in trade for them. Sheesh, some people.

20th of Obsidian, 118: It seems these Broglins have heard of our fort and its moat like defenses, for they bring many archers with them, which makes for quite the quandry when I had not prepared for this event. It seems w have lost two of our babies tokidnappers at this point as well. I don't think I would have noticed if no one had told me though.

21st of Obsidian, 118: Limul was shot and killed today. This brings our population down to 72, which is still up from when I took control, so I'll file this under acceptable loses.

22nd of Obsidian, 118: Erush bled to death, and Logem was shot and killed. In more exciting news we have a second ambush upon us, and another snatcher, athough those have been less than successful.

24th of Obsidian, 118: More deaths, this time reducing our numbers to 63. I have now commanded oru masons to start mass producing coffins, now I just need to figure out where I want to set them up at.

1st of Granite, 119: I happily leave my post as we find ourselves doublely ambushed and with death making himself at home in our fort.

Save

That made for a fun afternoon evening. I wish whoever is next luck, cause I'm still working on the ins and outs of militaryness and we aren't in the best of situations.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Please post within 24 hours if you want the next turn of the fort.

I wouldn't worry about the military; So long as the bridge is linked we can seal off and bombard.

Oh, and my name is in.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-11 at 10:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh wow, wookietank's turn is already done? @_@

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a free afternoon with no obligations, so I took advantage of it in vegging out to my hearts content while DFing. Was a good day.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to try. If I get selected I won't know until tomorrow because I won't have internet tonight. But I will be ready with the save if I do get to be next.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't you check the map? The bridge was already linked to the lever next to the trade depot. The lignite was local, not something that I brought on embark. It's simply found in multiple deposits.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

kpenguin, standing by for this turn
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Kpenguin, you've got the turn.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Didn't you check the map? The bridge was already linked to the lever next to the trade depot. The lignite was local, not something that I brought on embark. It's simply found in multiple deposits.
    I did notice that there was a second lever once I had placed mine, but could never find out exactly where it was. Now we can have dueling lever contests though

30. - Top - End - #510
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Apparently fresh air is an aphrodesiac for dwarves.

Or vampires.

Or both.