New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

It's the vampire! It's breeding an army of horrible vampire-babies to rule the fort!

DESTROY ALL OF THE BABIES! (Although knowing our luck, it'll happen regardless. At least now we have an excuse.)

but seriously, don't kill the babies. They are our future.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-12 at 11:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't know if they are the future... usually they all die before they become something usefull.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #513
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

From the Journal of kpenguin, Adminstrator

1st Granite, 119
    EVERYONE INSIDE!

My first order as the overseer is to order a burrow designated and call all dwarves into the castle. What they were all doing outside during an ambush I don't know. Why we didn't have a burrow in the first place I don't know.

An unsealed door lies between the castle and the outside world. I will keep unsealed to let any dwarves in I can and forbid it once the broglins draw near.

The archers outside are a problem. We lack a wall to block arrows and bolts. This is something we must have soon...

17th Granite, 119
    The fortress is sealed. I can hear the screams of the dwarves trapped outside, but their sacrifice is necessary for the fortress to survive. Everyone around me is mumbling grumpily. I hope we can stave off a riot.

19th Granite, 119
    Iton's gone mad. He the lack of gems drove him so. Pity, I had set up a jeweler's shop to cut rocks into gems for him...

20th Granite, 119
    Fath's gone stark raving mad as well. Shame shame.

25th, Granite, 119

They're all gone now. Thank Armok. Now it is time to rebuild... and rewall

Oh, no. An armorer went beserk. Okay.

27th Granite, 119
    After harassing the hospital, the armorer was put down by our new militia commander, brained by a steel crossbow. Huzzah.

4th Slate, 119
    A dyer went beserk and killed our expedition leader. Terrible. Just terrible.

5th Slate, 119
    Gnoman put down the dyer. I fear things may get yet more grave.

13th Slate, 119
    Migrants have arrived. Thank Armok.

17th Slate, 119
    I've converted the large building to the southeast into a mausoleum of sorts. Coffins are arranged along the walls and two iron statues lie in the center, along with The Riddled Shred. Perhaps seeing such marvels of dwarven construction will bring cheer.

23rd Slate, 119
    Our miner has found something... fascinating

Spoiler
    Show

15th Felsite, 119

Elves.

21st Felsite, 119
    Another goblin ambush. Macemen. Closing up the bridge and ordering everyone inside. In addition, a presser has begun stalking and brooding..

22nd Felsite, 119

Asmel the presser has claimed a butcher shop and, after gathering skulls and remains, has begun working on some macabre artifact.. The goblins still stalk outside, on the other side of the river...

More goblins! Curse them! Still, they lie on the other side of the river.

23rd Felsite, 119
    The dwarves who did not make it in before the bridge was raised lie dead. Shame.

24th Felsite, 119
    A dwarf has gone beserk in the hospital. I fear the patients may not make it out alive.

27th Felsite, 119
    Asmel the presser has become Asmel the bone carver, a legend of this macabre trade. He brings out the fruit of his labor: a ring made of aardvark bone, named Drownfail the Jackal of Blizzards.

6th Hematite, 119

I hate goblins. Hate hate hate hate hate hate.

12th Hematite, 119
    A couple of our babbling mad dwarves died of thirst. I don't really care all that much.

12th Hematite, 119
    IA IA ARMOK FTAGHN

Spoiler
    Show

----

Journal of “Kippy” Zursullikot, Miner

18th Hermatite, 119
    kpenguin ordered the bridge down. Crazy bastard. He ordered the bridge down. I thought it would kill us all, but the sheep around me followed his orders. It worked, somehow. The goblins stood just in the right manner such that many of them were smashed by the lowered bridge. The rest quickly fled. I'd never seen anything like it.

21th Hematite, 119
    Luzahn threw a pair of pants at a goose. I don't even.

11th Malachite, 119
    In the midst of reconstruction, more migrants arrive. I remember when I came to this fort.Bright eyed, hopeful for a new future.

Wretched fool I was.

9th Galena, 119
    Kpenguin fell victim to dehydration today. I quickly seize my chance. I am the new overseer.

17th Galena, 119
    A little over a week in and I get an ambush. Lucky me.

19th Galena, 119

A human caravan arrives. Unfortunately, their wagons have no way of entering our fortress.

8th Limestone, 119
    A jeweler wants rough gems for their little project. I dig for the caverns.

7th Sandstone, 119
    More migrants. Migrants migrants migrants. The goblins to the east of the river are waiting. I've constructed a new entrance to greet them.

15th Timber, 119
    One ambush is foiled by traps, but another appears! Is there no end to these things?

19th Timber, 119
    An outpost liason has arrived, with merchants in tow. Their wagons are unable to enter our fortress, with the merchant entrance sealed. Still, I hope we can get some trade underway.

24th Timber, 119
    The jeweler went berserk. A merchant guard swordsman cut him down.

25th Timber, 119

AMBUSH! AMBUSH AT OUR NORTH ENTRANCE!

7th Moonstone, 119

The goblins were beaten back. Thank Armok the merchant guard within the fortress was there. There were many casualties, my parents among them. The corpses keep stacking up...

28th Moonstone, 119
    A ghost punched me in the chest. I'm gonna go... lie down and think about my life.

Spoiler
    Show

28th Opal, 119

I've been informed all dwarf corpses have finally been buried. Good.

6th Obsidian, 119
    The tunnel I dug to the caverns is still open. I order a mason to close it up. A troll appears and punches him in the head.

11th Obsidian, 119

After a great massacre, I order the dwarves back out of the mines. The troll waits down there, hungrily licking its tusks. The others whisper its name. Yearbreak the Silks of Imprisoning.

15th, Obsidian, 119

The troll destroyed the door between the aquifer and the mines. The mines begin flooding. Great Armok.

16th Obsidian, 119
    I tentatively order my masons to go seal the mines, but an ambush interrupts them! Curses!

3rd Granite, 119

Spring is here. We're all doomed.

Spoiler
    Show

[Upload]

---

I'll do the actual upload later, but boy, that was a whirlwind of a fort. The fortress is a bit more secure now from the front, with the beginnings of a trapline and walls all over. From below, less so, but the flooding might take care of that... if it doesn't completely kill our FPS
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2012-12-14 at 11:22 AM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. I blame Shpadoinkle and his three goblin tribes. There's not much you can do at that point. I think my policy will start involving a constant lockdown.

Still, we're doing OK. And by ok I mean we're not all dead. Which is always good for this world. So why are the caverns flooding? Hopefully that's something we can close up later, though with out population I don't think we'll need to worry about FPS for a while.

Also: Please post within 24 hours if you want the next turn.

I'm putting my name in. If only to ensure that the place looks nice for future explorers. Wouldn't want future dwarves thinking we were sloppy.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-13 at 10:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Putting my name in as well. That year seemed unlucky.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

If I do get chosen how do I get that file to work as a save? I experimented with the last file but I don't understand what to do with this one.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

You drop the file into your saves folder inside DF. If you win and still have trouble I'm sure we can work it out for you.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Grytorm you've got it. Be sure to not have all of us die. And also find treasure.

Sorry this is going up so late, I had fallen asleep.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I have the file and a lot of time. I will start work on it today.

10. - Top - End - #520

DwarfFighterGuy

So after an almost 3 month hiatus, I HAVE RETURNED! Between surgury recovery, NS2 and Arkham City, I have been distracted, but now that I am back, I can once more mislead our people to death and destructionGLORIOUS SALVATION in a wasteland of despairSHINING FORTRESS OF GLORY!

If the fort survives Grytorm's turn, I should much like to try my hand at salvaging it.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The upload should be, er, up.

Good luck, friend. Have fun dealing with the flooded mines
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent! Let's start taking applications now then, and we can avoid the 24-hours.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

A sampling of my turn.

23rd of Malachite, Oh Armok save us! The baby conspiracy is true. I see her stalking the fortress. She is coming for us, the babies are coming for us!

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew it!

15. - Top - End - #525

DwarfFighterGuy

The babbypocalypse is nigh!
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

1st of Granite, I have been appointed overseer and have taken a quick overview of the fortress. From the reports of the residents the last overseer was very productive although a few corpses still need burying. The walls around the route to the quarry are nice, and we have walls on all sides now. The food and drink supplies are solid and we are only suffering from one disaster at the moment. The only solution is to start a project. By the end of the year I will put a roof over our heads.

7th of Granite, Due to the ongoing crisis of a troll in the dungeons I have ordered some work to be done to seal off the stone pile, which fails. And our only remaining miner has been taken by a strange mood. I wish him luck in his madness.

10th of Granite, Off of the old quarry I begin planning the digging of a new quarry. Here we will not only mine for stone but process it into blocks as well. The blocks will then be used to build the new roof.

25th of Granite, We have a serious deficit in seating and sleeping
    arrangements. We have around forty unconstructed beds an almost no tables or chairs. I order the carpenters guild to make tables and chairs and put a floor into the dining hall to make it more livable. It will serve as a living area until proper lodgings can be constructed.

25th of Granite, Praise the Miner (Kippy)! He has completed a fabulous artifact statue that will be installed into the dining hall to cheer up the place.

21st of Slate, Migrants arrive on the wrong side of the river. I try to discover how to open the gate to let them in if possible. I open the gates. Citizens run out. Then I have the idea of assigning people to burrows. I should have done that earlier. We lost some dwarves but I do not know if they were newcomers or former residents.

3rd of Felsite, The fiasco is over. I have sealed our citizens within once more and we have gained ten new members to our noble fortress. In the future I will remember our populace’s stupidity and take precautions. Overall I think some good may have come from this experience. The fortress wouldn’t look the same without the piles of corpses.

21st of Felsite, Elves arrive along with Broglins. I will enjoy the suffering of the pointy eared ones. We have no need for you here.

25th of Hematite, Good news, I finally got the dwarves to dig. Our work has started to go at a much faster pace and we now have a floor in the dining hall. The beginnings of the roofing project can begin now.

2nd of Malachite
    , Migrants arrived. None survived. The corpses just keep making this place prettier and prettier. A positive outcome of this is that the broglins are now lurking on the south side of the fortress and future migrant waves might have survivors for once.

23rd of Malachite, Oh Armok save us! The baby conspiracy is true. I see him stalking the fortress. He is coming for us, the babies are coming for us!

18th of Galena, Not much interesting has happened. I doubt I will be able to roof the entire place even though I have everyone working as masons. The Broglin problem is annoying but I help that the freshly arrived human caravan will take care of them.

4th of Limestone, I hate Broglins. They just appear and disappear. I have no idea if we have enemies on the map or not. I’m just going to keep everyone inside the burrow which I have expanded slightly.

11th of Limestone, Traded stuff. We have a lot of food and drink. At least that won’t be a problem for my successors.

5th of Limestone, ‘Kippy’ the miner died of thirst. Her evil spawn the wandering baby still stalks the halls. We will miss her.

8th of Limestone, Migrants have arrived. This time we won’t have to witness their slaughter. I almost had my own running gag. Last turn I would have had a gag of creating military squads and throwing them away, but that didn’t work.

13th of Timber, An Ambush, Curse Them! I order everyone inside. We lost a peasant.

17th of Timber, An Ambush, Curse Them! The goblins had reached the drawbridge by the time they were noticed. I order the Lever pulled and hope that the cage traps will get them. The cage traps get them.

27th of Moonstone, Rakust a Bower has entered a strange mood. We appear to have everything she needs except bones.

9th of Opal, The Rakust’s project begins. It shall be glorious.

13th of Opal, It is, It is, It is! A blowgun. I hate you Rakust. If you weren’t a legendary bower I would draft you into the military.

21st of Opal, We lost a baby to a giant toad. Poor baby. Somebody didn’t beat it up fast enough.

1st of Granite, Obsidian was uneventful. The Dwarves frustrated me with by refusing to make more blocks but I have figured it out why (burrows). All dwarves are currently in the large burrow. We have massive amounts of food and drink available. Sadly a little less than a fourth of the place has a roof now. Our population stands at forty-three. The fiendish baby of darkness has disappeared.

Blah. Editing is for the weak. I will figure how to put the save up later.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, let's say another 12 hours for signups.

18. - Top - End - #528

DwarfFighterGuy

You have me amoung the sign-ups, correct?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep. Only one so far. You haven't played in a long while, so it didn't seem fair to put my name in.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Good luck iyaerP.

Save

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

iyaerP! You have the save! Lead us to glory!

22. - Top - End - #532

DwarfFighterGuy

I am currently at work, but I shall start in about 4 hours time when I get home.

23. - Top - End - #533

DwarfFighterGuy

So I have decided that for a change of pace, I am going to live stream my turn. As soon as I can get XSplit working. I will update this post as soon as it is good.

Edit: OKAY! Starting it up for real this time.

http://www.twitch.tv/iyaerp/b/348726180

That is the video of the first 4 hours of my playthrough. I fail at video streaming, so what I intended as a testing cast ended up in the same video file, and I have no idea how to separate them. The actual intended stream starts at 17 minutes.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-12-17 at 12:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

We do have a farm.

25. - Top - End - #535

DwarfFighterGuy

Okay, so in case you didn't care to sit through three and a half hours of me rambling, ranting and otherwise looking confused and annoyed, here are some highlights from the first part of my turn.

I spend the first 40 minutes or so working out who does what, what goes where, where ANYTHING is, designations, workshop orders, and all that jazz. My plans for a WEAPON are slightly ruined by the lack of an aquifer. I had been thinking we had one on this map, but that was last fortress.

My immediate plan is to get a mine-cart system from the quarry to the roof to expedite construction. If I have spare stone and time, I will start on PROJECT FLOODER. After many trials and tribulations and a couple cave-ins, I get the track working. NOTE TO FUTURE OVERSEERS: This is set only to move blocks from the quarry-side stockpiles to the roof. It should do so without oversight required, but with dorfs, you never know.

Migrants arrive in 3 separate waves over the course of the spring and summer, only the first of which is without ambush.

Elven merchants die to ambush, and I put our marksdorfs on the roof to take potshots at the goblins. The enemy's lack of ranged combatants allows us to drive them off, but I am loath to open the gates for fear of more ambushes lurking undiscovered.

Human merchants had just arrived when I decided to save the game and go to bed. I now take up this task again.

edit: annnnnnnnd CRASHED. This is one of the few times I have ever seen dwarf fortress crash on me, and it irks me greatly. I thought we were doing pretty well all things considered, and was almost done my turn. I have some RL stuff to take care of in the next few hours, so I probably won't start back up again for a bit. Much apologies.

If you care, you can find what was my turn at http://www.twitch.tv/iyaerp/b/348854605
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-12-17 at 01:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536

DwarfFighterGuy

Trying again.
    Hopefully I can do this without a crash this time.

I have enabled seasonal auto-saving though, just in case.

http://www.twitch.tv/iyaerp/b/349105761
    Is the video of my turn.

A quick synopsis of the happenings in the second half of the year:

The human caravan was slaughtered to a man. This is especially irksome as previously they had entered the fort almost unscathed. I don't worry about it and focus on making a road from our depot to map edge so that dwarven caravan wagons can arrive unmolested. This plan is ruined by the dwarven caravan arriving just before the last tree can be felled, so their wagons bypass our site. They also, quite naturally, arrive at the far end of the map where goblins tear them apart. Mobilization of our military in an attempt to save them and the liaison results in a slaughter. Although none of the bow-goblins survive, neither do any of our melee squad. This is a cruel blow, offset only by the fact that our rooftop marksdwarves drive all remaining goblins away without problem.

With the outside safe for the time being, I declare open season on all goods on the ground left by the corpses of the elven, human, and dwarven caravans. This results in very nearly a stampede as dwarves rush to bring everything inside. We manage to get most of the booze and a good amount or animals and random goods before more goblins show up and we are forced to secure the entrances and remain inside once more. In the interim time however, I have finished the road to the edge of our territory and secured a way across the river in case the caravans decide to come from the other way. now they will have NO excuse to bypass us another time. Also accomplished is the chaining of several nonessential animals in various locations that the goblin attack squads seem to like coming in on, so we will be forewarned in the future.

This proves its worth as a goblin bow squad is spotted by our chained mongoose. They shoot him to death, but it allows me to evacuate our civilian laborers from the rooftop where they would be vulnerable. I decide that the risk is not worth it to send our archers up to play sniper-battle with the goblins as they are our only remaining military. Inside each entrance to the fort I have stationed our beasts of war, a tiger and a jaguar. Should any thief get past the outer guards while the gates are open, these ferocious cats will surely tear them apart.

The lack of a proper caravan has hurt our prospect for future migrants and I am greatly worried. Although we have had a few come in, most of them died in the militia or to ambushes. The one notable exception is our High Master weaponsmith, a prized dwarf to be sure. Sadly, we have limited quality metals for him to craft with. I order some exploratory tunnels dug in search of quality metal to smelt, but nothing much has turned up.

Also dug out was a tunnel from the stream to the well's cistern. This served two purposes, the first being to refill the cistern itself, the second to clean the water to no longer be stagnant, an important aspect for medicinal use. The river itself is walled off by a fortification, so nothing will be able to swim into our fort.

That is most of the progress for the year. I feel like rather than accomplishing much, all I managed to do was tread water. The only notable exceptions were the improvements to our quarry system, its track-cart to the construction zone on the roof, a set of housing quarters dug out to increase dwarven happiness and noble quarters dug for our mayor, who had become unhappy due to lack of proper housing, and the caravan road for our depot.

Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7236

Lastly: to the next overseer: Our farm production has been very sporadic, and despite setting two separate dwarves to only farming, has not resulted in anywhere near enough plants to produce a steady supply of booze. Our only booze is from the dead caravans, and a lot of what the stocks screen counts is quite possibly outside our walls. That is the other reason I made sure our well was clean, because quite soon, we might have to rely on it. I don't like this any more than you do, but it is the unfortunate truth that we face.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-12-18 at 12:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice job. With the state the fort was in, treading water was perfectly acceptable. And you've done quite a bit towards improvement, as well.

Please post within 24 hours if you want a turn of the new fort.

I'll be putting my name in this time.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's not too soon, I'd not mind another turn.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as we're still on the same fort, I'd probably give priority to people who haven't played this turn.

If you disagree, I'd be fine to roll against you for the turn, I'm not picky about getting one.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Might be up for a turn. Perhaps this time I might actually get the fort to survive.