New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

I watched part of your stream, iyaerP, good stuff :) [offtopic; did I hear Alestorm at one point?]

It further reinforces the fact that I will probably not play the game myself (it reminds me of the scene from The Matrix where the experienced people look at the Matrix and see blonds, agents, buildings etc and the audience/Neo just see squiggles...) but it's still fun to watch and read about! And get dorfed occasionally ^_^

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You did indeed hear alestorm!

Music that happened during my stream was Manowar, Aerosmith, Alestorm, and a little bit of Sabaton.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Great bands, there.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey, the Christmas rush has been too intense for me to spend enough time to get my DF tutorial on, but life should get better by 12/26. In the meantime, if there's a free Marksdwarf, I wouldn't mind getting Dorfed.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Well, as we're still on the same fort, I'd probably give priority to people who haven't played this turn.

If you disagree, I'd be fine to roll against you for the turn, I'm not picky about getting one.
    Nah, that's fine. The list seemed rather thin at the point I posted.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, rolling between myself and Grif:

Grif, you've got the turn. Lead us to treasure and dead goblins.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-19 at 09:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

This will only end well. Should be started within the day.

EDIT: Crap. Things caught up with me. Will try to start on Saturday.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-21 at 09:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

No worries, it's a busy time of year in many places.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-21 at 05:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, many apologies for the delay. Here's to start things off:

Things don't look too bad...

Spoiler
    Show

OOC Note: The fort still appears to be really in a mess. I'm not entirely where things go, though I think I figured out most of them.

Also, if anyone wants to be dorfed, do post.

EDIT: Oh dear. Three squads of goblins marksmen. Our crossbow dwarves go down in a hail of fire.

EDIT2: I'll be doing this in mostly a summary, in contrast to my usual entries, mainly due to the regular monotony of goblin ambushes and death.

Spring
    Ah yes. Where to start? Immediately after being passed over dictatorshipoverseership of this fort, I began making plans to secure all the rich, rich bounties that lay forgotten outside our walls. In preparation, I ordered our small military to scale the walls and take a quick peek...

Oh how wrong I was.

They spotted not one, not two, but three goblins squads moving in; heedless of their previous comrade's deaths. Worse still, they're armed with crossbows. Our brave marksdwarves managed to take down a few before going down in a hail of bolts. We had to leave them there on the roof, lest more of us fall prey to their sharp arrows.

For weeks, they camped outside our walls, while we worked frantically to secure our fragile entrances. To make matters worse, we seemed to be on the verge of running out of rum. Things were getting desperate. When we finally felt ready, we deliberately opened one of our entrances: the one leading to our trading depot. One of the fool goblin groups immediately tried to storm that entrance, only to be cut down by traps. They were last seen fleeing for the hills. The other one was smarter. They remained camped at our northern entrance, content to wait us out. So be it.

An Elven caravan managed to avoid the goblins and made their way into our fort. I ordered the bridge to remain open. We needed their trade, and beggars cannot be choosers. We grudgingly parted with some of our loot in return for some much needed food, drink and wooden trinkets. We showed them the door as fast as we are able to afterwards.

A group of migrants somehow took it into their head to make their way into our fort around the time the elven caravan was decamping. They ran straight into the goblin camp in the north and were slaughtered mercilessly. The goblins, having had their fill of slaughter, left the area. Seeing as the coasts was clear, I immediately ordered the northern entrance to be opened and the bodies brought in for burial. They deserved that much at least. We spent the rest of spring grimly removing the dead.

Summer
    The summer weather brought with it some much-needed peace. In preparation for further goblin assaults, I had the north entrance lined with weapon traps. I also began construction of a proper tower with parapets to help protect our marksdwarves in the future. Progress was slow, but the gods were merciful and we did not see another goblin. A group of kobolds did show up. They took it upon themselves to ambush one of our citizens. Unfortunately we couldn't save him before he died. The filthy cowards were driven off without further loss.

On the bright side, one of our dwarves took it upon himself to create a legendary gold harp after a fit of insanity. We also managed to capture a Cyclops that had blundered into our cage traps. He might prove useful later...

With late summer, came the human caravan. Fortitiously, the goblins decided to attack at the same time. The human guards cut down the underarmed vermins without so much as breaking a sweat. Another group decided to attack our north entrance. They managed to slay our metalsmith on the way there. Our traps however, cut them to pieces and our hammerdwarf took the head off the leader. The rest fled. We welcomed the human caravan with open arms and refilled our stores of food and drinks. We also bought metal items off the humans to be smelted later into weapons and armour.

EDIT3: See if you guys can spot someone familiar in this screenshot or not:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    It's kippy's father!

Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-25 at 10:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #550

DwarfFighterGuy

I see a kpenguin. Who if I recall is one of our many MANY dead.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

And I'm done for my year.

Save.

Heh heh, I think things went swimmingly well this time around.

Autumn
    It is with great hope and expectations that we passed into fall. Not much to be recorded here, except that we received a few more migrants and finished (more or less) planting traps in our north entrance. Any intruders will receive a nice surprise.

Things took a turn for the worse when our dwarven caravan showed up. For some inexplicable reason, the goblins decided to was the best time to attack again. Despite the best efforts of the small dwarven contingent, they were quickly overwhelmed and the survivors quickly abandoned their efforts to reach the fort. I reluctantly order our marksdwarves to the roof in order to drive the remainder off. Fortunately for us, they were not armed with bows and were sent fleeing shortly after.

Winter
    Left to fend for ourselves, I decided it was high time to restart our mining and start looking for metal ores that would be useful to turn into weapons.

As it turned out, our exploration of the deep rock proves to be useful. We quickly discover the presence of two other large caverns below the first one. More importantly, we have struck marble and tetrahedrite, which means we now have access to copper at least and potentially able to make steel. It would serve for now.

In another odd turn of events, our manager discovered half-forgotten records of an underground farm that was accidentally sealed off in the chaos of our early years. True enough, it lay beneath what is now our depot. I quickly ordered it to be reopened. By the beard of Armok, after so long, we finally managed to retrieve our supply of seeds. Now our farming can truly proceed unimpeded. As a precaution, I also started planting surface crops to supplement our now-vast supply of plump helmets.

We also managed to finish building towers covering the main entrances, lined properly with parapets and silt holes. They would be useful for reconstituted marksdwarf squad.

However, troubling news also haunts us in this forlorn winter. Two of our own have been found dead, drained of their blood. There is a vampire in our midst and he is cunningly hidden. As of this writing, I have yet to discern who might it be.

Just as the winter closed, our now-seasonal goblin friends returned. They managed to slaughter two unfortunate enough to be caught outside. Our towers however, is proving to be quite useful, giving our marksdwarf some safe shelter to pepper the goblins with arrows. We successfully driven off one squad, with the others still lurking somewhere to the east.

With this, I hand over the helm to the next overseer.

Some screenshots:
    Spoiler
    Show

Overview:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - The dead dwarven caravan outside still have not been recovered yet, to my knowledge. Might be useful to sneak out and recover their belongings later.
    - Although I have dug our way through the second and third cavern layer, the route I took is somewhat tortuous. (More of a security measure to buy time to wall off as necessary) Future overseers might want to build a straight stairwell down.
    - I reconstituted our hospital. Previously, it wasn't working for some reason. Two dwarves have been assigned permanently on medical duty. They should be kept there. (Managed to get a few injured dwarves back on duty)
    - Might be a good idea to complete the roof as well.
    - The bedrooms are complete for most part.
    - We should now have no problem with food or drink. I am surprised that we somehow managed to wall off our own supply of seeds without anyone noticing.
    - Some workshops I have suspended their active duties in order to concentrate on hauling. You may have to turn them back on if you want to restart production.
    - I have disarmed most of the prisoners in our cages and made a small section in the military training yard for them to beat up the goblins. I made use of the lever installed there to install cages. Feel free to attach as many goblin punching bags as required. (Escape might still be a problem though.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-12-25 at 09:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent job; we seem to have avoided the bigger catastrophes.

Please post within 24 hours if you're available for next turn.

I'm putting my name in.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not, I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

14. - Top - End - #554

I would be honored if I'm dwarved in this game but I can't volunteer for overseeing till January.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555
    Barbarian in the Playground

this game looks like a blast!

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've won the turn! Some play should happen today.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-27 at 11:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've won hijacked the turn! Some play should happen today.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Hush. I haven't used my powers for evil until now yet.

First turn playing this incarnation of the fort.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-27 at 12:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

This is true. Good luck to you sir, and may the fort survive until I can get my hands on it, mwa hahahahahaha

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    This is true. Good luck to you sir, and may the fort survive until I can get my hands on it, mwa hahahahahaha
    I would give it a 50/50, though I'm pleasantly surprised at how content all the dwarves were even as we suffered a few death here and there. No one actually dropped even to unhappy or miserable.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

My current plan is to never open the doors ever.

22. - Top - End - #562

My current plan is to get a fort to last 3 seasons before tantrum spiral.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    My current plan is to get a fort to last 3 seasons before tantrum spiral.
    My goal is to actually prevent tantrum spirals.

Someone suggested dropping cats in the meeting room...

24. - Top - End - #564

DwarfFighterGuy

Goddamn, I was wondering why they wouldn't bloody plant anything.

As for hospital? I dunno. It was working when I was running things. Minus soap and competant dwarves with skill in anything other than diagnosing. Speaking of which, that'd be a good thing to invest in. I had a number of dwarves survive their treatment and get sent back out into the workforce only to get infected. None of them passed away during my reign, but soapworks wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-12-28 at 12:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized that I had a dream about this community fort. I got selected to play another turn and six dwarves immediately committed suicide when they realized that I was in charge again. Weird.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

26. - Top - End - #566

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    My goal is to actually prevent tantrum spirals.

Someone suggested dropping cats in the meeting room...
    When you have had a fortress tantrum spiral at the end of Summer, 3 seasons sounds pretty damn good.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    When you have had a fortress tantrum spiral at the end of Summer, 3 seasons sounds pretty damn good.
    That's pretty... quick.

You had a series of unfortunate accidents?

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    That's pretty... quick.

You had a series of unfortunate accidents?
    Mine collapsed, trapped 3 of them away from food and water. They died before I reopened, and the other 4 tantrumed.

You may now laugh at how hard I fail.
    Last edited by McDouggal; 2012-12-28 at 11:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Overseer's Log, 1st Granite 123:

Well, I'm yet again in charge of a fortress. It's a sad state of affairs. For one, we're above-ground!

Also, there are goblin corpses everywhere. My first order of business will be to dig us a proper shelter inside the stone. Much easier to defend, and gives us a second line of defense.

I've joined up as a miner. Smithing isn't all that useful without any proper ore.

16th Grainite 123:

The remaining goblins have been dispatched by our valiant marksdwarves. We are now sweeping the surrounding area for bodies and plunder.

I've also ordered a wall to be constructed across the river, in order to control both sides and expand our trap lines.

2nd Slate 123:

Not to alarm any readers of this log, but I'm wondering why the previous overseers neglected to inform the fortress of the forgotten beast prowling the depths.

It breathes fire. These two shouldn't be able to reach the surface, but we've now lost the underground expansion we had been constructing.

We lost one mason who was trapped under when the things broke through the door, and it looks like one novice miner who helped collapse the stairway up has been trapped down there with them.

I may order him to dig into an outside lake. He could escape alive and release the monsters onto the surface just in time for the next caravan / ambush.

15th Slate 123:

Tetrahedrite has been discovered! And in a rare bit of good news, that trapped miner has managed to escape, as well as seal off the forgotten beasts from the caverns! They are now sealed inside a bit of underground fortress. Never disturb them. Their prison shall be eternal.

25th Slate 123:

iyaerP was attacked by a stray pig today. However, he is unharmed.

We really need to isolate these animals somewhere. Perhaps that could be a use of the cross-stream enclosure.

1st Felsite 123:

Smunxaz the three-eyed tarantula has come. Luckily, he seems to be trapped on the blood thorn layer of the caverns, which we have not yet penetrated. Regardless, I am sealing the caverns.

One of our fisherdwarves has been mutilated by a troglodyte.

I am...less than good with checking for forgotten beasts.

I didn't catch them in the list; we've got a lot of goblin prisoners.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-12-29 at 11:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

I am...less than good with checking for forgotten beasts.

I didn't catch them in the list; we've got a lot of goblin prisoners.
    Always assume FBs in the caverns.

Always.