New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Methinks that you undervalue your contributions to the fort Grif.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

My proudest contributions are our mighty fortification-walls and our useless portcullis. I have done nothing else of note.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

The walls are a good idea- having stuff on the surface like the dining room and barracks helps prevent sunsickness- and the fortifications and pillboxes on the second level proved surprisingly effective during my turn.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Now, does a dwarf inside of a construction still count as on the surface to prevent cave adaption? I noticed that tiles under that ceiling were still marked as "light" as well as "Inside"
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2013-01-12 at 05:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Now, does a dwarf inside of a construction still count as on the surface to prevent cave adaption? I noticed that tiles under that ceiling were still marked as "light" as well as "Inside"
    I believe I read somewhere that once a tile is opened to the outside, it's considered as outside forever, irregardless of any floor or construction sealing up the hole later.

As for my contributions, the two pillboxes were my idea. (Along with the assorted glass traps, which I hope are still around. They shred unarmoured goblins good.)

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that once a tile is opened to the outside, it's considered as outside forever, irregardless of any floor or construction sealing up the hole later.

As for my contributions, the two pillboxes were my idea. (Along with the assorted glass traps, which I hope are still around. They shred unarmoured goblins good.)
    I added a few more weapon traps to the entrance, full of useless stuff like whips and daggers.

As for my contributions, I brewed enough drinks for every dwarf presently in the fort to have 19.5, or approximately 5 seasons' worth, because you guys all seem to have an irrational hatred/fear of having a full time brewer actually doing his damn job. :/

I also finished up the fortifications on the second level and designated a lot of floors to be built there. And streamlined food production.

Also, yes, 'outside' tiles, even if they're not lit up, count for staving off cave adaptation. It's predominantly for that reason that I recommend the barracks and dining room NOT be moved underground.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2013-01-13 at 03:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I'm kind of terrible with remembering alcohol production. In my games it gets interrupted so often that I forget about it.

That said, my excuse is that excess beer can spontaneously form the dreaded Beer Golem, which proceeds to wreck your fort.

8. - Top - End - #638

HalflingRogueGuy

Stupid werezebras destroying my 3 year old fort...

I needed the elves to get through and it killed them all. Then when I sent people out to get the booze it snuck in and killed all but my army. Then we got ambushed with my entire ranged army out in the field and a werezebra just inside the gates.

No I'm not volentiering for a turn. This just seems like the most appropriate place to post my rant.
    Crooked Peak Seasons IV-V: 11/8/4 Cup Semifinalist, Cup Quarterfinalist, Coach of the losing All-star team (Season V)
    Treeman's Triumph Seasons VI: 3/8/2 Loser in the Crud! Cup Match
    Legends of Jam Season VII: 6/3/2 Winner of the Longball Derby, Division B Champion, Cup Semifinalist

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you ever considered dumping lava on everything? It fixes most things.

10. - Top - End - #640

HalflingRogueGuy

I hadn't got down there yet.
    Crooked Peak Seasons IV-V: 11/8/4 Cup Semifinalist, Cup Quarterfinalist, Coach of the losing All-star team (Season V)
    Legends of Jam Season VII: 6/3/2 Winner of the Longball Derby, Division B Champion, Cup Semifinalist

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Any progress, Grif?

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Any progress, Grif?
    Will be starting today, with luck.

EDIT: Here's a sneak preview:
    Spoiler
    Show

Journal of 'Grif' Morulgeshud
    By all that's holy, I was passed overseership of this fort again by virtue of drawing the shortest end of the stick.

What's this?
    Spoiler
    Show

How the hell did we manage to accumulate so many prisoners? Well. I know now what I must do. Arrange for their creative deaths.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-01-13 at 09:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

2nd Slate
    The military seemed to have lost their archery range in the spree of renovation and wall-building. I have rebuild the range in a convenient nook to the north of our new farming fields, and reorganised the military schedules.

17th Felsite
    The annual elven merchants have arrived. Better get started on offloading our tattered rags to them. Unfortunately, they have nothing we want.

23th Felsite
    Spoiler
    Show

An ambush! The fools ran straight into our lines of traps and got themselves butchered. An elven merchant was caught in the crossfire and paid for it with his life. The pansies promptly refused trade and fled for the nearest forest. So much for offloading our rubbish.

In other news, one of our miner got himself into a fey mood and created... a stone coffin. I had it placed in the dining room as part our new decorations.

Spoiler
    Show

(Unfortunately, it seems you can't gain Legendary skills in two profession this way.)

4th Malachite
    One of the serfs suffered an unfortunate incident while trying to complete our second floor. He fell into the pool and promptly drowned. I shall have him memoralised, since nobody wants to go and retrieve his corpse.

Spoiler
    Show

As an aside, I was also made aware of two forgotten beasts that we seemed to have trapped in a sealed chamber within our fort. It would be wise to deal with them soon. Preferably with magma. Our goblin training program is also progressing well, with over a dozen goblin prisoners recruited as sparring partners. True, they did not fare well against lethal weapons, but our soldiers seemed to enjoy lopping heads off.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-01-14 at 08:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644

Grif, any chance I could get Dorfed?

Just don't make me a hauler :P
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Grif, any chance I could get Dorfed?

Just don't make me a hauler :P
    Sure. Any particular dorf you have in mind?

6th Galena
    A dwarf was taken a fey mood and claimed a leather workshop.

Spoiler
    Show

Meh. I suppose there are worse things to make.

15th Galena
    A siege! Those dastardly goblins decided upon themselves to storm the walls of our mighty citadel. They come on steeds of elk birds and reinforced with trolls. I pray our defenses will hold. To arms!

Spoiler
    Show

16th Galena
    Hah, our crossbow squad driven off one group of goblins with their wooden bolts, crippling several of their mounts. Just in time too, as another group approached the main entrance with their troll allies. They managed to kill an unfortunate soul who was caught outside. (I rezoned the burrows to exclude the lines of traps after this.)

Spoiler
    Show

One fool of a dwarf rushed forward to meet them and met his untimely death at the hands of several trolls. Embolden, the fools quickly rushed forward into our lines of traps. They were quickly cut down by our crossbow squad and traps. Our melee squad took down the remnants as they straggled off, losing only one more to trolls.

Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]

With that, the siege was broken. Unfortunately, our human allies bypassed our fort due to the siege. No matter. We should have no trouble trading with our homeland with the goblins driven off.

23th Limestone
    A titan has appeared! It looks to be made of water. I already scrambled our military to meet it.

Spoiler
    Show

24th Limestone
    The bloody thing flies! It flew over our walls and started to hunt down an unfortunate serf.

25th Limestone
    That was... anticlimatic. A stray bolt to the body and the beast shattered into... water. It did manage to slay the unarmed serf, but even then it took quite awhile.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-01-15 at 12:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646

DwarfFighterGuy

I felt that some things needed to be shared. This is one of them. I can't claim the world gen, some brilliant basterd on /tg/ came up with it, but I convinced him to share the save http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7307

And this is my work in progress. A lake fort in an evil mountain range. This mountain range, I feel I must add, spans a significant portion of the continent. I present to you my newly embarked outpost of Gilthammer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2013-01-15 at 12:37 AM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

...You've colonized Mordor...

And nice work on the siege, Grif. And you witnessed one of the least effective Titans I've ever seen, so kudos for that.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morning fine gentledwarves!

I have enjoyed lurking and reading your stories. Very good stuff! :) I will be without internet access at home for the new few months, so I appreciate the vigor that this thread has filled me with to enjoy some DF in the time coming. I'm not new to DF and its been long enough since I last played that I have a tragic ending in me somewhere. If I end up screwing up bad, I'll let you know. :P

Keep up the good work, dig hard, dig deep.
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

(And I thought the end of the siege meant I could have the rest of the game easy. Turns out, not really.)

14th Timber
    Just when we thought we were at peace, another band of roving broglins arrived and thought it would be fun to lay siege to us. *sigh*

Spoiler
    Show

I ordered the bridges drawn and the men to the battlements.

Spoiler
    Show

16th Timber
    Curses! While we were busy fighting off a band at our main entrance, another group riding giant olms swam under our walls and reappeared in our northern farms. Furious fighting followed, and three of our soldiers perished. At least the invaders were cut down without mercy. Quite a number of us sustained major injuries.

24th Timber
    We managed to drive off the rest without further loss, our speardwarf personally slaying two at the entrance. We spent the remainder of the week hunting down strays. Unfortunately, the untimely siege meant that our merchants also bypassed our fort this season. Pity. We could have used the extra metal. I began to smelt what metal we have collected from the goblins instead, turning them into steel would prove to useful.

Meanwhile, we would need to address the gaping hole in our defenses as soon as possible. Maybe damming the river...

17th Opal
    Another one of our denizens was struck by a fey mood. What was interesting was his choice of materials...
    Spoiler
    Show

The result?
    Spoiler
    Show

I think I'll hang the cage in the dining room... Makes for shiny.

15th Obsidian
    I think there's a pattern forming. Or maybe my bad luck is just showing itself. A second band of goblins arrived for beer and rum. Our beer and rum. We would need lots of bolts for this party.

Spoiler
    Show

They even brought big boss along. If we're lucky we can put one into his head.

17th Obsidian
    Curses. We scared off the band being led by the general himself off. We did manage to maim almost all the trolls that were strolling leisurely towards the main entrance.

Meanwhile, a group of goblins decided to chance the trap-ridden entrance. Things went about as expected:
    Spoiler
    Show

(I must say, the traps do perform admirably when no one is bypassing them. They turned about a dozen gobbos into swiss cheese.)

And with a gallant charge, we break the siege:
    Spoiler
    Show

Miraculously, we didn't lose anyone this time.

And finally, as the year ends, I hand over overseership of this fort to a new dwarf. May the Age of Legends be kinder to him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Final overview:
    Spoiler
    Show

(OOC Note: All in all, a surprising year with surprisingly few losess given the events the game decides to throw at me. Although not mentioned, I have again decided to suspend most of the blocks production as well as the stone mugs production in order to better concentrate on hauling the loot.

Also, extending the fort over the river has shown its first serious defect: the river itself is a huge weakpoint. Future overseers should consider walling off the river itself.

Also, McDougal, your dorf apparently lost his entire right arm in a live training session. Sorry for that. )

EDIT: Save incoming. Uploading now.
    http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7309
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-01-15 at 10:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in for the next turn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Post for next turn. in 24 hours, the next player will be chosen.

22. - Top - End - #652

(still first week of classes. I'm gonna delay again.)

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    (still first week of classes. I'm gonna delay again.)
    Lame (Can't complain about less competition for control of the fort though... )

Hope classes are starting off well for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Grif, saving your screenshots in .png format instead of .jpg should avoid the color loss like that.

As for me, I ordered some RAM the other day and it should be arriving any time now, so while I don't have the patience to put up with another year at 9 FPS, once I've upgraded I should be able to run this save at something approaching a playable speed. So I'm not in for this turn, but maybe the next one.

Regarding the river: Simply paving over it with floors or walling it off completely should be effective.

Having two trade depots at once can cause problems, I've heard, so I'd recommend tearing one down.

Finally, what's up with all the sucky artifacts?
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2013-01-15 at 02:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #655

So, starting a new one world. 1/3 of the way through Spring, hit gold.

It's now halfway through Summer.

Spoiler
    Show

I realized that I need to set up workshops, and start making defensive stuff now.

This, BTW, is 1 Z-level down from the fort's main floor.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not good with ascii versions..the blue, what metal is that?

27. - Top - End - #657

Microline.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Dwarf in the Playground

ah. gotcha. guess the colours are still same from ascii to tileset. thats nice then.

Can't wait to get home and gen a new world :P

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd second paving over the river as well. Probably the best way to do that, walls get in the way.

30. - Top - End - #660

HalflingRogueGuy

Well I found a cavern 5 z-levels down. And I got attacked by cavern dwellers before migrants. That ended poorly.