New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738
Results 1,111 to 1,114 of 1114
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

First half of my year done! Sorry I play so slowly...

The bulwark will rise. We will stand against all the unholy things in this world and perservere. They seek to test us. We will strike down every undead being they send to assail our walls. Which I have just ordered to be built. The other forts that follow will join their walls to ours, and these evil lands will be surrounded. For now though, I have overseen the walling off of the caverns beneath our fortress. In time we will explore them, but not until the fort is self-sufficient.

The crossbowman asked to become sheriff and hammerer of the fort. I have objections, though his zeal is unsettling. I hope nothing bad comes of this.

Eerie clouds of soot blow outside the fort. We may not be able to cleanse these evil lands, but I'll be damned if we let any of those bastards leave their foul homeland!

Some shifts in management have made the fortress a bit easier to run, but until we get more labourers, the growth of the fort will be slow.

Hah! Speak of Armok and he knocks at your door! Migrants! This fort will grow very quickly from here on, I think! Oh. One was very peculiar in mannerisms, and claimed one of our Craftsdwarf's Workshops! The nerve!
    Spoiler: THIS IS NO TIME TO PARTY. THE FORCES OF EVIL DO NOT REST.
    Show

Well, at least the strange migrant had something to show for it. A magnificent amulet of limonite, he calls Cloventargets!
    Spoiler
    Show

The elves have come to trade. I'm not particularly interested in their wooden trinkets, but I ordered a GemDwarf to quickly encrust some trinkets of our own. Perhaps they have animals worth trading for. Maybe it would be worth establishing better relations with the elves. Even the undead would have trouble with giant war grizzly bears... Now if only our broker would finish with his bookeeping duties and trade before they leave!

Curses! The broker was finishing up a drink, and the traders left.

A demon for years past innumerable! A demon, in the deep! A forgotten beast! Our first test!
    Spoiler
    Show

We will train the military well, and send them to defeat the wretched manifestation of evil! I am beginning to arm and armour the military dwarves, all with axes, save for the guard's crossbow squad, which doesn't need to be more than a couple well-trained dwarves.

It's late summer now, and the humans have arrived to trade. Hopefully our broker is feeling more industrious this time. A mason went into a strange mood, and made a yak bone toy boat. I am not impressed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Some kobold thieves stabbed a couple of our workers, who are going to the hospital now, though it's only half complete.

Last in the half-year report is the progress of The Wall. It's not very complete. The masons work night and day on various tasks, and increasing the number of masons seems to do nothing to speed this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This avatar by Phase.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ogre in the Playground

It lives, IT LIVES!

Edit @ V: Well played.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2013-10-18 at 08:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    It lives, IT LIVES!
    I believe you mean- *clears throat* IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry that took so long, but here's the second half done!

Spoiler
    Show
    Our broker has been attending solely to his bookkeeping duties again, and so the traders are about to leave. I told a dwarf who looked idle to trade instead. Once the broker is better at bookkeeping he'll be able to do both jobs. Hopefully he gets to that stage soon. Damnit this is annoying.

Our animal trainer has his first project: taming an eagle. We're not sure where it came from, but we found a wild eagle in a cage. It will be trained, and kept as a pet by the mayor, to signify our vigilance over these evil lands.

Well. The dwarves are loading the hospital chests with cloth and thread from the human traders. If the humans are okay with it, I'm okay with it...

What have the humans done! Their animals have gone berserk! Two of their cows are now mindless husks, as well as a weasel. The cows were caught in our cages, but I've ordered our axedwarves to kill the weasel. The only way to destroy a husk is bisection, so our military uses only axes now, apart from the city guard, who use crossbows.

That weasel's dynamite! But we shall prevail against the evil forces that have empowered it! Meanwhile, I'm not sure what to do with the caged cow husks. My first thought is to hide them under a drawbridge where no one will ever hear of them again...

After weeks of fighting the weasel, the military is starting to get tired. I've ordered them to station inside the fort, which I will then seal off. They will train, harder than they have before, and then they will fight again, and win.

Likot, the dwarf in charge of animal training, has approached me with an idea. He wants to see if a yak husk can be trained. I've decided to let him find out, but I will not hesitate to lock him in with them if it doesn't work.

Oh! Oh my. When the dwarves were clearing the sprung cage traps, they found two humans somehow trapped as well. We'll just free them right away. After all, reports show they don't breed in captivity. Lastly, Likot quickly found his efforts were in vain. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the yaks for the moment, so I've put the cages in the back of a section of the cavern.

The arrival of a caravan from the mountain homes has given me an idea. Actually, it has given me no ideas regarding what to do with the caged husks, but hopefully they'll have an idea. I'm trading the husks away. Drat, one of the caged goblin thieves we've been collecting escaped, and severely wounded our mechanic! The foul creature paid for it with its life though.

I am slowly becoming convinced the soot has some effect on the dwarves' minds. When I ask the ones charged with recovering wounded why they haven't moved the mechanic to the hospital, they ask, "What mechanic?" When I ask haulers why they haven't moved the piles of resources other dwarves dumped near the workshops, they ask, "What goods?" It's like they're trying to convince me these things don't exist.

I finally released the humans that were caged, and they started fighting! I'm not sure what's happening, but I cannot let them endanger the fort! If they even look at one of the dwarves in a way I don't like, they will be cut down.

Ah, now here is a truly marvellous artefact!

It is nearly the end of the year. A human caravan has arrived, as well as two kangaroo husks. They are too big for our military to handle effectively with their current training, so I have sealed the entrance. Lastly, I have discovered why the dwarves will not touch a great portion of our equipment. It is the equipment of the human caravan that went half berserk, and died. I told the dwarves that we did all we could for them, but they didn't understand, and started asking if they would still need to work when they died. Idiots. Do they even comprehend the monumental task we have in constructing this fort?!

Here is the link to the next year.
    This avatar by Phase.