New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Huh. I thought I had sealed all the holes.... (scrutinizes images). Damn, I never even noticed that one.

Just redorf me. casualties are a normal part of any fort.Just don't lower the drawbridge. that would crush grif. You'll have to dig him out.
    You can see the tunnel in that last image, I actually got him out before I closed the save. I'm considering either digging a new entrance or waiting for the 2 undead in the main hall to get into atom smash range.

The problem with these migrants is that I can't just leave them to die. It results in a horde of the dead milling about the glacier.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-18 at 06:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer's Log, 11th Limestone 102:

A crazed farmer has just constructed a useful artifact. Well, the artifact is nothing special, just another mechanism. But the man is now a grandmaster mechanic, so that's good.

Spoiler
    Show

15th Limestone 102:

Morale is down, what with the mass loss of life and series of sealed undead chambers. To deal with this issue, I've ordered construction of a luxury dining room. Hopefully the smell from next door doesn't spread.

Spoiler
    Show

4th Timber 102:

We lost a migrant en-route to the fortress, but the rest of them are inside safely. Unfortunately the fools have dragged some animals with them. I have ordered them slaughtered before they can starve to death.

A reindeer skin has arisen, but it was put down and tossed into our new pit already.

20th Timber 102:

I have ordered work to begin on a structure outside of the hole that marks the entrance to our tunnels. This should make it easier for merchants to locate our sanctuary in these forsaken wastes. I am exploiting the need to open the fort for the dwarven traders to begin construction. (Useful for players visually, plus provides another line of defense. And I like having a base to look at .)

Showing some degree of tactical prowess, a flight of undead ravens approached from far overhead and descended on the fortress. They have all been de-animated, but one of our militia lies outside, injured. I do not know whether to retrieve him or to let him perish, as he is surrounded by the seven fallen raven corpses.

Spoiler
    Show

It seems that this map does indeed lack all manner of ores. I have begun transporting our adamantine ore inside the tunnels for later use, with the area set up to be sealed at the possibility of undead infiltration. They own the caverns now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-20 at 04:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

phew, butchering is some dangerous work in evil biomes. Gotta make sure you get everything or you'll have skin and hair and other fun stuff arising to 'feed' on you
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. We didn't lose anybody in that incident, but I'm considering just dumping live animals down the garbage pit to avoid the issue.

I solved our supply problems by buying everything from a human caravan. We have leather, wood, and food.\

(Btw, previous progress post updated)
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-19 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah, so you can keep the skin from rising from the dead by tanning it! Far more productive than just incinerating it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Images added to last post. Last update coming soon.

Overseer's Log, 20th Moonstone 102:

Of all the subjects, why did that damnable manager focus on that in his artifact?! As if we really need a reminder that the greatest threat to our fortress are lowly ravens.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm also noticing a large ghost population around the place. What kind of respectable dwarf becomes a ghost? You just mill about the place and don't do anything useful. I am comissioning some memorial stones to the fallen around the main hall. Maybe that will stop their nonsense.

IyaerP's ghost appears to be joining a party at the well. His heir doesn't seem all that disturbed by the situation.

10th Opal 102:

Schlyerwalker has been slain. A corpse was let in by the evacuating Dwarven merchants and slew him before he could react. This could be...unfortunate.

19th Opal 102:

The Cook has gone mad from the horrors of this place, and is assaulting out people! A ragtag militia has been assembled to bash him with whatever they have lying around the place.

Bah, if I could get a moment's peace we could have adamant weapons!

<unmarked date, dictated>

Argh! Their wool is dangerous too! None of us are safe!

2nd Obsidian 102:

There is a Werechameleon up above, fighting the zombies. I hate this place. Hopefully It will put a dent in their numbers and then flee.

12th Obsidian 102:

Goblinoid ambush has occurred on the surface. I'll be assuming the undead will disrupt their ranks before they flee. Fortress is sealed.

I honestly don't know why they would attempt to plunder this place.

14th Obsidian 102:

You know, I'm really getting disappointed by the effectiveness of these undead. Damned goblins.

24th Obsidian 102:

Construction of a hospital has begun. Our men need a place to stay while they bleed to death. In the meantime, Adamantine works have begun.

Spoiler
    Show

Bah, these fools have no respect for metals! This idiot of a doctor has been stealing our adamantine strands for suturing! I'm going to close that damnable hospital at this rate.

Spoiler
    Show

14th Granite 103:

My apologies to the next overseer, but I've taken a few extra days to finish certain catastrophic situations. Also, my greatest achievment was due for finishing:

Spoiler
    Show

They will fear us. The time of the Dwarves is now.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-20 at 05:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6947

Sorry about the overflow of the date, a few messages obscured the "Spring" popup.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Noooo! What an ignominious end!

Redorf plz?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schylerwalker View Post
    Noooo! What an ignominious end!

Redorf plz?!
    Yeah, sorry about that. Your death wasn't that ignoble, you were cornered by the zombie, so I drafted you to hold it off/kill it to let everybody else run to safety. Your proud corpse now lives in the caves beneath the garbage chute, scaring the cleaning dwarves.

Would you want me to reupload the save after redorfing you, or to wait for the next player? If you end up with the save next, you'd be able to pick it yourself.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, 24 hours after this post I'll select a player from those available. If you're going to be able to dedicate a few hours to the fort in the next few days, post here affirming so, and 24 hours after this post I'll select someone from the available players.

And a reminder: If 48 hours pass after you're selected and you haven't at least confirmed that you've downloaded that region folder and can get it working, your turn is skipped.

I personally will be available, of course.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You could say.....

That I was the unlife of the party.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

On a more serious note, for future reference, the bridges can work as an airlock system to let merchants and migrants in and out without letting zombies in. That's half the reason they are designed the way that they are.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

You could say.....

That I was the unlife of the party.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

On a more serious note, for future reference, the bridges can work as an airlock system to let merchants and migrants in and out without letting zombies in. That's half the reason they are designed the way that they are.

The issue there was that the merchants refuse to move at all unless there's a clear path to the surface. And instead of micromanaging them, I was attending to something else.

Edit: Hmm, how could we ensure wagons come without opening the fort constantly? If we destroy a merchant's depot, will they move to another, or just leave?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-21 at 10:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, if they have a clear path through the caverns to map edge, they will sometimes leave that way if the surface is not accessable, but I think that is even more dangerous for us than the surface is.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if they have a clear path through the caverns to map edge, they will sometimes leave that way if the surface is not accessable, but I think that is even more dangerous for us than the surface is.
    This is true. The zombies have been eating a lot of Rutherers, Elk Birds, and Ogres. Plus all of the dwarf corpses that aren't locked into passages.

As a tip: never destroy a wall until you check carefully what is inside. My default reaction to danger in this game has always been to seal stuff inside other stuff.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Exclamation Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

since its friday i probobly be able to put time towards the fort-but i might kill everyone because i dont have much experience with evil biomes

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zargodia View Post
    since its friday i probobly be able to put time towards the fort-but i might kill everyone because i dont have much experience with evil biomes
    Hey, experience is boring. Besides, if the fort wipes completely we can always reload. Anything less than that is highly entertaining.

Besides, we have ada now.

...and only ada.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    My default reaction to danger in this game has always been to seal stuff inside other stuff.
    Waiter, I'll have your most dangerous monster, stuffed inside your second-most dangerous monster!

18. - Top - End - #108

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Waiter, I'll have your most dangerous monster, stuffed inside your second-most dangerous monster!
    Vwell monsieur, today ve have a most delightful meal for you. Ve vill start off with a nice brisk appetizer of sauted stoat with a finely minced desicated raven and shaved ice chutney. You vill notice good sir how it still attempts to move about and attack despite being thouroughly dismembered, dessicated, and decapitated? Such a delicacy. This will of course be followed by a light quarry bush salad with chopped plump helmets and a fine glaze of dwarven syrup dressing. The next course is the soup of course, a masterwork crem de la egg, with the cream coming from the highest quality source: purring maggots, and the eggs from our own blue peahens, freshly laid. The main course is the forgotten roast. The horrifying husk of Cuthefi, spun round with his own webs, the brimstone flavor combines with the rhythmic undulations to be the most exceptional dining experiance you will ever undergo. For desert, we have candied crundle chunks sprinkled over a yak-millk cheesecake.
    For drinks we have dwarven wine, rum, ale, and beer. There is also a list of imports from the humans and elves if you wish to go over it. For the first three courses, I recommend the dwarven rum, with dwarven wine for the main course, and some nice beer to go with the desert.

This is a masterful dwarven five course meal, all craftsdwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with spikes of zombies, and is encircled with bands of the undead. On the meal is an image of a dwarf and a zombie being crushed under a drawbridge. The dwarf and zombie both look terrified.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-22 at 07:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing as I'm the only player available it seems I'm taking the fort next. First update should be some time later today.

EDIT:

Journal of overseer Brewer 'Shapdoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

So, I was selected to be the overseer for Domainstaves' third year. Why? Hell if I know. Evidently nobody else want the the job. Seems to be a trend in my family, that just as things start to go straight to Hell we get called in to fix everything. I mean, yeah, we're good at it, but it's still annoying.

Fine, whatever. Might as well see what I've got to work with.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, well, isn't this fabulous, we have maddwarves running around already.

Spoiler
    Show

And we have minimal booze. WHY IS MY FAMILY THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN GET A FORT AWAY FROM THE BRINK OF SOBRIETY?! Ugh! I should have known, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show

There's a zombie peahen bricked up behind some ice walls. Of course. Upon second look there are three more zombies in there with her.

Spoiler
    Show

The farms are at the end of a long hall. No seed stockpiles in sight.

Spoiler
    Show

There's also this hall leading out to the middle of goddamn nowhere for no apparent reason.

Spoiler
    Show

Severed body parts, expended bolts, and zombie animals litter the surface.

Spoiler
    Show

Another hall leading off to terminate just shy of the surface for no reason I can imagine.

Spoiler
    Show

A baby sits, naked and unattended, on the bare ice in the middle of the barracks while a soldier trains alone nearby.

Spoiler
    Show

And a ghost is just kinda chilling near the entrance because we evidently don't have enough undead.

Spoiler
    Show

Our mechanic is messed up pretty good and languishes in his room because we evidently don't have a hospital.

Spoiler
    Show

Children hanging out at the graveyard. Freakin' goth kids, I swear...

Spoiler
    Show

Someone is throwing a party at the damn well. I put an end to that horsecrap by removing its designation as a room.

All of our seeds were being hauled around in the same barrel. AUUURGH! I want to bloody cry! It seems like previous overseers had just told everyone to store crap wherever there was any free space.

Spoiler
    Show

There are a bunch of tables and zombies that have been deposited in the caverns for some reason, evidently. I will not stand for this stupid crap. NO, we are NOT going to build the first living/undead hybrid community fortress, damn it! I've got a plan to deal with them.

Spoiler
    Show

Preliminary digging plans. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

Spoiler
    Show

A few levels lower... Miners, get to damn work.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know, man. I just do not goddamn know what to think. Were prior overseers insane? It would explain an awful lot (like being here, for one.) As far as I can tell everybody was just allowed to do whatever they felt like doing. It took me a pretty good chunk of time to reassign everybody's work orders.

Spoiler
    Show

Expanding the hospital because I'm sure we're going to bloody need it. Well... I won't need it because I'm awesome like that, but I'm sure future overseers will.

Spoiler
    Show

WHAT?! WHY?!

Spoiler
    Show

THIRTY-FOUR FREAKIN' DWARVES?! WHAAAT?! NO! GO AWAY! None of them even have any useful skills!

Spoiler
    Show

... Well... >_>

Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-22 at 10:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the tables, apparently the previous overseer had marked them for dumping while they were built. By the time I noticed that the tables were being hauled off they were already at the disposal chute with a corpse. I figured it was better to lost a few tables than to risk more rampaging zombies.

Also, we need a migrant lava moat. The reason we have zombies down there was a reluctance to atom smash, which I did only when the zombies were actively blocking the place where the bridge sits.

By the way, if you manage to clear out the undead prison hallway on the top level, there's a treasure trove of dead elf stuff.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 11:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    a treasure trove of dead elf stuff.
    Since when is anything elves bring useful? Okay, there's the occasional giant lion or something, but 99% of it is useless.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Since when is anything elves bring useful? Okay, there's the occasional giant lion or something, but 99% of it is useless.
    Well, dwarves get that big happiness hit from having no clothes now, the cloth helps. Wood is vitally important for our forges at the moment, as we have no way of harvesting it safely. Never knock the free seeds, food, and alcohol. Most importantly there's a giant raven in there and I want it.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 11:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Overseer I am NOT the damn overseer stop calling me that! BREWER 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, it kinda sucks, but I do NOT have the patience, time, and most importantly resources to handle them all.

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, this is just wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show

A zombie got in and killed someone unimportant (i.e. not me.) I set the army after him but they didn't seem to take it very well.

Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile Vabok claims the mason's workshop. I order a second one constructed so production of memorial slabs can continue. We're gonna need a LOT of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Crush everything. Crush them all. I don't care. We also catch a couple zombies under the bridge.

Also, Vabok apparently wants leather, gems, and rocks.

Spoiler
    Show

Shorast Stukosdur kept reanimating and terrorizing everybody, and nobody would ump his damn body, so I had the floor underneath him channeled away and bricked over after about the fourth time he was killed.

Also Vabok evidently got everything he wanted and has started a mysterious construction.

Spoiler
    Show

Another zombie came from... somewhere and began terrorizing the main hall.

Spoiler
    Show

I am VERY tempted to have him atomized for this crap.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, fine, whatever. I guess I'll put it in the dining room. Interesting how he evidently saw fit to duplicate his preliminary sketches on the finished product.

24. - Top - End - #114

DwarfFighterGuy

I marked no such tables for dumping! As for the farms, yeah, those are a mess, but that was back when I was more worried about us surviving to use them than anything else. Also, the tunnels are for rapid dwarven military deployment to all corners of the surface to protect merchants/migrants if need-be. They just never got breached because I had a million other crises on my hands, and only one mechanic to worry about building our one set of defensive drawbridges, nevermind four sets.

Judging by the beginning of the year report however, it looks as if we don't actually have any military dorfs left. A use for those useless migrants and FIFTEEN idlers.

Why would you crush all those useful dwarves? A weaponsmith and TWO marksdwarves? just in that one page that we can see? Marksdwarves are AWESOME.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-22 at 02:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh, I had assumed they were trying to scout out arable lands.

And the corpses start out forbidden for whatever reason, every time they die. Either that or the bridge where the dump is was retracted, that makes the point unreachable.

And we got a legendary mason out of it, correct? Those are useful, at the very least for rapid walling.

I do love marksdwarves. A couple hunters were my best zombie killers, until they were eaten by zombies. It was a fitting punishment for sneaking off into the caverns when I was moving ore and starting the zombie boom in that level, however.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 02:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Oh god...what prompted the slaughter at the drawbridges? How in Armok's name did that transpire?
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

It sounded like it was migrant prevention.

Btw, you may want to ask for that redorfing now.

28. - Top - End - #118

DwarfFighterGuy

Oh yeah, I set corpses to forbidden after one nearly disasterous dash for the surface because all dwarves were trying to recover THAT ONE SOCK from a dead baby that didn't make it in or something.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Oh yeah, I set corpses to forbidden after one nearly disasterous dash for the surface because all dwarves were trying to recover THAT ONE SOCK from a dead baby that didn't make it in or something.
    That sock may have been the key to our salvation! Without it the entire fortress may be destroyed by the undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Naah, my axe is a better key to salvation than the sock. We can make some Adamantine socks as a compromise, though.