New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Adamantine clothing is actually a pretty terrible idea on account of clothing wearing out and eventually rotting away. This includes adamantine clothing. Armour however, lasts forever, and nothing short of atom-smashing it or dropping it into a source tile for the magma sea will destory it.

Besides. No matter how much cloth you have, every caravan will ALWAYS bring a dozen or so bins of it. Far easier than cultivating it ourselves.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Adamantine clothing is actually a pretty terrible idea on account of clothing wearing out and eventually rotting away. This includes adamantine clothing. Armour however, lasts forever, and nothing short of atom-smashing it or dropping it into a source tile for the magma sea will destory it.

Besides. No matter how much cloth you have, every caravan will ALWAYS bring a dozen or so bins of it. Far easier than cultivating it ourselves.
    I know, it was a joke.

Those adamantine sutures on the other hand....

As a note to Shpadoinkle, our current chief medical dwarf is some random hobo who was too useless for a normal job. Just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 03:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schylerwalker View Post
    Oh god...what prompted the slaughter at the drawbridges? How in Armok's name did that transpire?
    Food and especially booze supplies are low. If I had let them in they would have just stood around without any jobs most of the time because I'm having enough trouble handling the little bastards we have now, what with all the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    As a note to Shpadoinkle, our current chief medical dwarf is some random hobo who was too useless for a normal job. Just something to keep in mind.
    CMD seems to be nothing but a figurehead anyway.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-22 at 03:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Food and especially booze supplies are low. If I had let them in they would have just stood around without any jobs most of the time because I'm having enough trouble handling the little bastards we have now, what with all the zombies.

CMD seems to be nothing but a figurehead anyway.
    Well, they're the ones who are set to diagnose first, if I understand it correctly. So someone with high diagnosis is more efficient at it.

5. - Top - End - #125

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Well, they're the ones who are set to diagnose first, if I understand it correctly. So someone with high diagnosis is more efficient at it.
    Yeah pretty much. Diagnosis is the only important skill. I have seen debate about organizer as well, but nothing confirmed by dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

Also, shpadoinkle, we DID have a well, so it wouldn't have been death by thirst, just some unhappy thoughts until the farms can be reclaimed. Just sayin.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah pretty much. Diagnosis is the only important skill. I have seen debate about organizer as well, but nothing confirmed by dwarven !!SCIENCE!!

Also, shpadoinkle, we DID have a well, so it wouldn't have been death by thirst, just some unhappy thoughts until the farms can be reclaimed. Just sayin.
    The food situation was a bit bad, though. Our only reliable source right now is plump helmets. And murdered animals that migrants bring in.

Also, the farms are secure, unless you're referring to a recent event. The plugged up zombie tunnel was the old entrance, I carved a safe one.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 05:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Overseer I did NOT ask to be responsible for everybody's deaths, stop calling me that! Brewer 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Zon itonkulal loses it. I guess there are only so many times you can cut down your dead family before the strain of the experience breaks you.

Spoiler
    Show

I've ordered some adamantine to be processed into strands, which will be made into wafers, which will then be turned into weapons and armor for our military. If we want to have any chance of surviving the hordes of undead we're going to need some good equipment, and as this is pretty much the only usable metal, we're kind of stuck for it. I know some would say using it like this is a waste, and that only the greatest and most accomplished of smiths should even lay hands on the material. Well, I think NOT GETTING KILLED kind of supercedes tradition, here.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, sure, why the hell not.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, she doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. Just wandering around topside splatting zombies, really.

A couple days later she decides to try to make it into the fort and gets crushed under a drawbridge. The bridges seem pretty able to handle anything coming at use from the top, provided of course we have enough warning to get some dwarves stationed at the levers, so all we really need to worry about is... well threats from INSIDE the fort.

Spoiler
    Show

I've kinda given up on asking "why" at this point. However, considering...

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think they're going to actually make it to the depot.

Spoiler
    Show

Bloody kobolds are attacking us now? Ugh... I've kind of given up and I'm just seeing how long we can survive, now. I'm not saying I'm going to get everyone killed on purpose, but... well, everybody's probably going to get killed sooner or later, I'm just acknowledging that everything I'm doing here is a stall. So, great, whatever, throw everything you've got at me, Domainstaves.

Spoiler
    Show

Another one. Great. Whatever.

Spoiler
    Show

We get about a dozen damn snatchers at once. Please take our horrible children off our hands, I'm begging you. I hate them so.

For some stupid reason some lemmings dwarves lemmings decide to go outside and say hi to the kobolds. I don't care anymore. I don't have any idea what's wrong with them, considering everything up there is forbidden. The only conclusion I can draw is that they are sincerely suicidal.

Spoiler
    Show

Some of those who wandered up top and didn't die immediately are now doing "the dumbass dance," wherein they try to come back inside but see the goblin thief hanging out just behind the entrance and get scared, run a few steps away, then repeat the whole thing all over again. I'm not sure deploying the military would be worth it. I don't care. The zombies can have them.

How did this fort go to hell so fast? By now I'm half seriously considering just walling ourselves off from everything.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-25 at 10:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a peon?

I think my guy is our best weaponsmith, by the way.

Besides, we're not doing too badly. We have population growth, at any rate. Worst comes to worst, it's easy enough to lock up the fort completely, arm ourselves with adamantine, and train for a while. And then take back the surface and build a mighty ice fortress.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-22 at 07:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

DwarfFighterGuy

Oh man, reading these updates is hilarity itself. I love dwarf fortress.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, reading these updates is hilarity itself. I love dwarf fortress.
    Yeah, it's pretty great

11. - Top - End - #131

DwarfFighterGuy

I think my favorite part is how each overseer thinks that his predacessors (or those who follow him for that matter) insane and/or incompetant.

The level of "why"? We have reached in a mere three turns is already worthy of a several year fort.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Brewer 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Incidentally, of the 60 dwarves presently alive, almost half of them are too stupid spoiled lazy young to do any actual work.

Spoiler
    Show

One of the zombies wanders up near the entrance and kills the goblin who had decided to take up residence there.

Spoiler
    Show

I had this tunnel dug so the zombies walled off between the barracks and farms could get out and pounded into pancakes under the drawbridges. I'm generally leaving the drawbridges down until something tries to get in, at which point I have them raised and lowered repeatedly until the invader is crushed. We're slowly whittling down the number of zombies wandering around topside.

Spoiler
    Show

A kitchen has been erected and Avuz Fikodarbin has decided to take up the title of "Cheffier," whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. He can call himself whatever he wants, I guess, as long as he keeps cooking.

I also finally managed to get the zombies walled off near the farms out of there, so we can grab the goods crap the elves left.

Also, a quick note regarding these little constructions I've had to build all over the place (most notably near the barracks)...

Spoiler
    Show

If it wasn't clear, don't mess with them.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

A zombie has made it to the main level. Nobody's around to deal with him because most of the military (or rather, what remains of it) is injured, and the remaining soldier is asleep. The military needs to either be revamped completely or disbanded completely. He eventually wandered under a bridge in pursuit of a peacock and I had him smashed.

I've drafted two dwarves as our medical staff. They no longer have any duties aside from tending to the injured.

I'm not very good at dealing with zombies.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-23 at 12:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of our military right now should be idlers who were rounded up as a militia to kill zombie leaks. They could use revamping.

15. - Top - End - #135

DwarfFighterGuy

And presumably, if they were idlers before, they can stay as military on account of it is necessary where idlers really aren't. Also, I don't know exactly what the current layout of the fort is in the ice-level due to so many renovations and wall-offs, but originally I had the barracks for the military set up so that any surface invaders would walk right into a training session if they got past the bridges, and be dismembered. Even if our current militia is just a bunch of peasents with no real weaponry, they should be able to mob the occasional zombie quite handily.

And if you ARE going to leave the drawbridges open, I recommend guard animals, preferable in fortifications to either side of the entrance so they don't get killed everytime they spot a theif or invader.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Migrants. 14 of them. Only three kids. Well... hopefully they'll be able to make it inside before being killed by zombies.

I don't know why anybody thought it was a good idea to give everyone their own beds, with wood at a premium here. I've had some of the walls in the bedrooms knocked out and I'm rearranging the furniture to make a dormitory. If this upsets people enough that it starts a tantrum spiral, I'll be genuinely surprised. We have zombies killing people every day but having to sleep without your own room is what finally brings us down? Well, we'd probably deserve it.

Spoiler
    Show

The migrants, being stupid, are running around topside fighting zombie ravens.

To be honest, I'm not sure that even MY family's prestigious "turn around a fort on the brink of disaster" skills are going to be enough to salvage this one.

Well, so far five of the last migrant wave have died, but that's entirely because they're too stupid to even try to come inside. We'll have to see if any of the rest survive.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-23 at 02:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfFighterGuy

Burrows man. We should still have a burrow for "inside" Just set it to active on the civilian alert and they will march in lickety-split. AND bring their animals in too. Burrows are awesome. Without judicious burrow usage, we never would have even gotten this fort started in the first place.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-09-23 at 03:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Burrows man. We should still have a burrow for "inside" Just set it to active on the civilian alert and they will march in lickety-split.
    ... Good point.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of brewmaster 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Craaaaap. And he's one of the little bastards who are too damn stupid to come inside, too.

Well, he eventually got himself killed by zombies. A few more have managed to sneak in and killed a few more dwarves. I've followed what has now become standard operating procedure and entombed them where they fell. Note to future overseers: BE REALLY FREAKIN' CAREFUL about which walls and floors you remove.

Spoiler
    Show

Humans. Ummm... crap. Go away, guys. I hope they'll fare better than the elves did (I'm pretty sure they will, considering elves are too stupid to even bring any guards along) but I'm not counting on it. I can't send the military out to help them as we have no damn military, and even if we did everybody here is too damn stupid to follow even the most basic of orders and pick up their weapons.

Spoiler
    Show

Broglin attack, which the zombies up top helpfully pointed out. I... don't know. I'm just trying to keep everyone from dying at this point. Food and booze stocks are a lot better than they were, but we have no military and if something makes it past the entry we're pretty much totally screwed.

Spoiler
    Show

Broglins engaging a three-legged reindeer zombie.

Spoiler
    Show

A second squad is discovered by a zombie peahen.

The zombies provide no real opposition to the broglins, as they evidently have yet to be brain damaged to the point that "Pick up your goddamn equipment" is a task of insurmountable complexity.

Spoiler
    Show

More renovations, providing a more direct route between the well and hospital. Also, someone knocked down the trade depot during a tantrum so I ordered it rebuilt... not that it's going to do us a whole lot of good.

Autumn has come. Only three more months left in the year. To be honest I'm not entirely sure we're really in any better position than we were at the beginning of the year.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

It's all about survival at this point.

Hilarious survival.

I think at this point we need to designate two military groups. A rabble to deal with the zombie leaks, and a real military, who we train in safety until they are worthy of using adamantine without it winding up on corpses outside
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-24 at 12:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

do...do we just have a bunch of zombies entombed under the floor?

I can only imagine what it would be like to walk down the corridor, hearing claws on stone right below our feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post

I can only imagine what it would be like to walk down the corridor, hearing claws on stone right below our feet.
    We're dwarves. It's par for the course.

They're there to intimidate the diplomats.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post

Most of them are bricked in with ice, actually.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

oh even better. One could potentially see the zombies trying to rip your legs off under the ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of brewmaster 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show

LIMESTONE 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, it looks like the merchants got attacked by an elf and a bunch of raven zombies and somehow got themselves messed up that way.

LIMESTONE 26
    I have no idea where the lever that controls the floodgate to the resevoir the well draws from is.

SANDSTONE 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, here it is...

Spoiler
    Show

Walled off and past that zombie. Because why the hell not. Fine. I'll see if I can figure out a way to get him out of there.

SANDSTONE 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Migrants. 15 of them.

Spoiler
    Show

This is what the entrance looks like. Yeah... Looks like there are soon going to be 15 more zombies topside.

Spoiler
    Show

Fun fun fun at Domainstaves. I'm sure he's loving it here already.

SANDSTONE 12
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, sure, whatever.

My final entry should be up some time tomorrow.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

...Flames are bad. Very bad.

Ice constructions don't melt, but I think that the layer is vulnerable to fire.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

He's in the caverns, which are all walled off.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Journal of Brewmaster 'Shpadoinkle.'

Spoiler
    Show
    TIMBER 2
    By repeatedly raising and lowering the entryway drawbridges we've managed to slowly whittle down the number of zombies wandering around the surface. There are still several up there, and I have yet to make any progress on dealing with the ones in the caverns.

Spoiler
    Show

I've rigged these pressure plates up to activate these drawbridges. They're also controlled by those levers... Which I guess makes the pressure plates unnecessary! :V Ugh. Whatever.

ANYWAY, I'm not sure I'll be able to deal with that zombie during the remainder of this year, so I urge my successor to deal with him so we can access the damn well's reservoir floodgate control lever.

Spoiler
    Show

OR I COULD JUST WALL HIM IN! :V EVERYTHING IS FIXED FOREVER!

I guess we can repurpose those bridges as trash compactors or something. I also designated an alternate access to that lever to be dug.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, fine, whatever.

Spoiler
    Show

I should have done this ages ago, but it just now occurred to me. Dig out this area to expand the reservoir, and as an extra safeguard, stick one of the artifact grates we got in the waterway to ensure nothing can get in. We should even be able to leave the reservoir gate open once we do that, since nothing can knock down an artifact grate.

Spoiler
    Show

Dwarven caravan is here. I don't care. There's like a week of this year left. Next guy can deal with them. I'm out.

Spoiler
    Show

End of year stats.

I did my best, but I'm not entirely sure I actually left the fort in a playable state at this point. Apologies to my successor.

If you're going to have some time to dedicate to the fort in the next few days, make a post affirming so and I'll choose an eligible player 24 hours after this post.

Save.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-25 at 01:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

If nobody is available for a turn at the moment, I do have time for a second.
    Just throwing that up as a fallback.

In my experience, a fort can recover from anything short of a tantrum spiral. We're not in a bad position at all. All leaks are sealed except for the surface.

And I 'm trying to recall why I didn't make a big reservoir for the well. Can't come up with anything.

I blame Tunnel Madness.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-25 at 10:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Multiple turns are allowed, but preferably not consecutively if at all possible, and available players who haven't taken a year yet will be given priority over those who have.

EDIT: We have NO military, no equipment to speak of bar a few base-quality adamantine axes (which are still about as effective as masterwork steel axes nonetheless, being adamantine and all.) We also have a few wafers to be made into whatever.

Booze supplies are pretty solid- WATCH THE DAMN BOOZE SUPPLY, why am I the only person who does this? I'm asking completely earnestly here. It's not even difficult, just tell one dwarf to brew stuff on repeat and you're good to go, and check every once in a while to make sure he's still at it. How come nobody else does that? It's half of a dwarf's diet, it's pretty important.

We also have 400-some prepared meals I think, mostly made from eggs. There are also zombies walled in all over the damn place so triple-check what's behind a wall or under a floor before you remove it or start digging.

EDIT 2: I've been dealing with the surface zombies by leaving the entry bridges down, then raising and lowering them repeatedly when they try to get in. If I hadn't been doing this all year there would be about sixty more up there, in addition to the dozen, maybe, that are running around. I don't know of a better way to deal with them, honestly... aside from bricking them in of course.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-09-25 at 05:13 PM.