New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

I've managed to dig up a few suitable spots. The biggest problem, however, is that all of them have aquifers. Aquifers are manageable, but a huge pain in the ass. They MAY be necessary, however, as several of the spots I've located have no rivers or anything. Cavern water is still almost guaranteed, but then again we may hit the "jackpot" and find an aquifer-less area with underground water that doesn't cross a map edge, and therefore is finite.

Aquifers ARE manageable, but it's a labor intensive process and we may run into Fun before we even get below it, and we'll have to be REALLY damn careful to not flood the fort. On embark I suggest taking a LOT of wood for pumps, a LOT of bismuth bronze, a LOT of plump helmets, one armorer/weaponsmith, and two planters. Six picks, some decent quality bismuth bronze equipment, and some underground plots should get us a solid if difficult toehold.

One of the spots I've located that happens to tickle my fancy is right here. Damn STRAIGHT we well embark out into the middle of a wasteland and carve out a place to live DESPITE three variations of goblins trying to kill us, a nearby necromancer's tower, and the fact that nothing grows there, why are you even asking? WE'RE BLOODY DWARVES, THAT'S WHAT WE DO DAMN IT!

If someone has a better location to suggest please do feel free to download the region folder and look around. If nobody does so, I'll choose an available player 24 hours after this post (as always, if you're going to be available to dedicate a few hours to the fort within the next few days, make a post affirming so and I'll choose a player at random,) and we'll embark here. Turn order from the previous attempt won't be considered.

For clarity, I've embarked then immediately abandoned the fort, and you can download the save here. I DO NOT INTEND FOR THIS FORT TO BE RECLAIMED, this is just for clarity. Download the 'clean' world from HERE and embark on that spot if you're the first player chosen.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Well we could turn aquifers off if it becomes to big a hassle, but of course that would spoil some of the fun now wouldn't it?

oh and ill be able to play this week
    Last edited by Zargodia; 2012-09-30 at 03:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zargodia View Post
    Well we could turn aquifers off if it becomes to big a hassle
    Not in THAT world we can't, we'd have to gen a new one. And considering it took me three hours to gen the last one, hell no I'm not doing it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Not in THAT world we can't, we'd have to gen a new one. And considering it took me three hours to gen the last one, hell no I'm not doing it.
    Oh my knowledge of how LNP works has just been expanded thank you for that bit of knowledge

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

My only concern is that the deep soil may mean that it's a big, multiple-layer aquifer. I'll load up the map in a bit and scout some sites.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-09-30 at 07:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

I have found a nice site relatively close to shpadoinkle's proposal.

Spoiler
    Show

It sits on three biomes, the two desert shown and a grassy biome with an aquifer and flux stone. My test embark, which can be seen right to the east of it, had snow covering the sands, which seemed...odd, but other than that it looked fine, if we don't mind a calm biome.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... I suppose, considering how much Fun succession forts are already, that Luzahn's location would be a better fit... unless of course fewer than all three goblinoid civilizations that can access it. Should I take it you're eligible to take a turn then, Luzahn?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Looks good. I'll be down for a turn second or something.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I'm good for a turn. And all three goblins and the tower are accessible.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, we'll be using Luzahn's site, and between him (1), myself (2), Zargodia (3), and iyaerP (4) being available, the person to take the fort first is... Luzahn. Of course! The one time I DON'T assign myself to 1 is the time I roll a 1! :V Oh well.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer's Log, 1st Granite 104:

Ahh, a new fortress. I really don't know how I survived the zombie hordes of the last place; Last I remember , I had sealed myself into a hole alongside the well with only a copper pickaxe. Ah well, I guess it isn't really important.

It also looks like several lads from the old fortress are with me. Eh, I'm probably just hallucinating again.

Anyway, on to our new lands. While distinctly less zombie-infested, the Armok-damned desert is covered with a layer of snow, and the little stream that lead us here is frozen. I'm not going to question it.

Spoiler
    Show

I have ordered the destruction of our starting wagon, and am using the wood to build a preliminary entrance to our tunnels.

6th Granite 104:

Very good news: Our mining out of a basic entrance hall has revealed magnetite in the first stone layer. Good, my talents were tragically underutilized in the old fortress. Shpadoinkle will be getting a bonus for uncovering this.

24th Granite 104: We've seen the first thaw today. Apparently we're living next to a small river, not a stream. With our fort's enterance near the river, hopefully we can exploit it in some way.

Spoiler
    Show

25th Slate 104: This is absurd. We are low on stone because our fortress is centered in a large cluster of ore! It's great, but we're low on building materials, and a wooden forge doesn't sound like the best idea.

9th Felsite: It's begun raining. I don't understand this “desert.” We're going to dig up some sort of ancient horrors, aren't we....

Excluding the run-of-the mill ancient horrors one finds underground, of course. I mean something good.

In other news, two farms have been completed on the upper levels. We are currently growing the tradition staple plump helmets and pig tails, for ale and extra cloth.

Spoiler
    Show

Argh, I've just learned that our farmer has secretly been growing dimple cups instead of plump helmets.
    It's been fixed, but I've set one of the dwarves to forage for surface crops in the meantime

18th Felsite 104: I have ordered the construction of high-quality rooms for our founders as an excuse to mine out some usable rock. To honor Shpadoinkle's finding of metal, we've commissioned a magnetite statue to decorate his room. Schylerwalker has apparently decided to make a statue of a cow.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think Schyler particularly likes Shpadoinkle.

27th Hematite: Bah, this forging is tiring. And apparently I've forgotten all I know about weaponsmithing. And now I can make furniture. Our reality is confusing. Anyway, I'm off for the traditional weeklong lunch.
    (Accidentally made our smith Armorsmith/Metalsmith. Training him up on making trap components.)

The fort so far:
    Spoiler
    Show

The farms are located one level up.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    To honor Shpadoinkle's finding of metal, we've commissioned a magnetite statue to decorate his room. Schylerwalker has apparently decided to make a statue of a cow.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think Schyler particularly likes Shpadoinkle.
    Dude, cows are awesome. Iron is awesome. This statue rocks.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2012-10-01 at 10:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

May i ask what my job is in this new fort?
    Last edited by Zargodia; 2012-10-01 at 10:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think i had a similar problem in one of my fortress's before(the whole: Nothing to build stuff out of except magnetite) . After hitting a couple of clusters of the stuff and nothing else i just turned magnetite on to be used for crafting and made everything out of it. It was a very wealthy fortress, but it died in like the second or third year to an early siege(no doubt attracted by all the wealth)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Zargodia, you are the woodcutter / woodburner.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Okay, we'll be using Luzahn's site, and between him (1), myself (2), Zargodia (3), and iyaerP (4) being available, the person to take the fort first is... Luzahn. Of course! The one time I DON'T assign myself to 1 is the time I roll a 1! :V Oh well.
    Why not, I'll take number 4. Was actually going to volunteer for the next year of the last fort, but we all saw how well that ended .

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Why not, I'll take number 4. Was actually going to volunteer for the next year of the last fort, but we all saw how well that ended .
    The way I've been doing it, numbers are assigned via the order in which eligible players posted. Since I'm more or less organizing this, for a fairly loose sense of the word organized, and am presently unemployed so I have plenty of time to check the thread three or four times per day, I'm usually the first one to post after the save has been posted. Which number you're assigned to is dynamic.

... Unless you thought that was the turn order, which it isn't. There's no set turn order, as explained in the first post.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotcha, was just throwing out that I want to be in the lottery for the next go round, will be sure to post once it comes up.

Looks like a good start to the fort so far Luzahn, thank Armok for the lack of undead avians.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. Airborne zombies are the worst zombies. I may terraform that river into a moat later, but for now I'm going to wall it off into a surface yard. I hate training soldiers underground, becoming cave-adjusted really hurts combat outside.

20. - Top - End - #200

DwarfFighterGuy

There is also the side effect of having your soldiers training at the entrance makes it so that thieves and ambushers are found by the armed and armoured soldiers rather than random civvies.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer's Log, 16th Malachite 104:

We've struck Kaolinite a level down! Hmmm....now I really would like to fine a source of lava. Having a porcelain kiln running will certainly be good for our exports. I will be avoiding setting it up now, however. Wouldn't want our wealth to attract guests.

Wait...Armok damn it! The Mountainhomes put an absurdly high value on those trap components I've been hammering out. Well, I guess it's as good a time as any to put them to use...

27th Malachite 104:

Migrants! Good thing too, we needed some more dwarfpower. And some women. For some reason, our founders were all male. Apparently someone didn't know how to fill out those embarkment forms properly. This may be the first time I've actually been happy to see migrants clogging our halls.

The first is a Great Weaponsmith and Metalcrafter. Good thing too, she fills the gaps in my knowledge quite nicely.
    One useless farmer, who has been assigned to the fields under Master Farmer Leecros.
    One barely-able ranger...Ugh, may just have her start a marksmilitia.
    We've got a Fish Cleaner. He's good, but without any fisherdwarves he won't be that useful.
    A skilled potash maker; may just assign him to fishing for now.
    A decent Gem Setter has also arrived; I've set her to cut them too for now. More importantly, however, she is a skilled Marksdwarf. Conscripting her into the militia.
    A Spinner has arrived; Useless for now, but I've set her to shear too, so we can set up some woolworks when we get some llamas with the next caravan
    Finally, we've got a peasant rounding out the group. She looks weak and sickly, but she claims a decent list of kills, and is good with a mace. She will be added to a second militia group and outfitted in iron.

3rd Galena 104:

We have breached the first cavern accidentally; It lies five levels beneath our fortress. We've also discovered a downward passage, but will not be making the caverns accessible until our military is better-equipped.

Spoiler
    Show

The only annoyance to the whole breach is that now I will need to pave our entrance tunnel. Don't want trees to start growing in there.

6th Limestone 104:

That fool Leecros fell into the river today, trying to reach some plants on the other bank. Luckily he managed to scramble out. Perhaps I should build a temporary bridge across to ensure this kind of stupidity doesn't result in death.

24th Sandstone 104:

More migrants. Argh, just as I was finishing quarters for the last batch.

Wow, that excitement about having migrants wore off very quickly. Armok-damned parasites.

A stonecrafter has arrived. She should be relatively useful.
    Next up is an engraver: Good with an axe, but he's weak. Well, smoothed walls are always nice.
    A competent Speardwarf. He has some minor farming skills, but I feel his knowledge of arms will be useful in the militia, even if he is rather flimsy.
    A miner! Best of this bunch so far. I don't know what I was thinking, embarking with a single miner.
    A cook who can also make wooden crossbows. How quaint. She'll be set to stone smoothing for now.
    A novice cheesemaker and beekeeper. Eh, sure. We have a pair of female horses that should be doing something anyway.
    A Weaver. She'll come in handy when the caverns are to be exploited.
    A milker, to compliments that cheesemaker. Very good.
    A baby Llama also accompanies them. I suppose that's useful. I may have to convert a section of cave into a pasture.

9th Timber 104:

One of our new engravers, Kogsak Mafolunib, has with drawn from our society. Tell you the truth, I really don't blame him. He appears to just be milling about, so I've constructed a crafting workshop, to see if that satisfies him.

10th Timber 104:

He's taken to the crafting workshop, and I've managed to build everybody a room now. Our current task is to forge some iron trinkets for the next caravan, so we will be able to resupply.

Bah, that fool engraver is demanding bones! I've set one of the horses to be butchered. And that caravan has finally arrived. We don't need anything urgently, and so I've put in my customary request for Llamas and gypsum plaster.

23rd Timber 104:

The Engraver has completed his masterwork, a Kaolinite Trumpet. Somehow I don't think it's playable. At least he's advanced to a legendary engraver now. I should have him engrave something.

Spoiler
    Show

Heh, am I glad that metalcrafter came along. Her little trinkets are valued at about 500 * each. Time to buy everything of use. Managed to pick up a dog, a load of food, some drinks, barrels, cloth, and a few bits of steel gear. And we still have plenty of trinkets for the elves and humans next year.

1st Opal 104:

I've conscripted several idle farmers into a masonry squad. They will be continuing some construction processes, such as the Underpastures and our outer wall.

13th Opal 104:

A colony of bumblebees has established itself on the frozen river. This makes me sad.
    I think I'll begin construction of an apiary.

Spoiler
    Show

In other news, a kobold has dared to show it's face in our lands. The militia is being mobilized.
    Bah, blasted thing escaped. At least it didn't manage to swipe anything.

23rd Opal 104: another Kobold Thief has been sighted. It was easily cut down by the militia, though one of our men has a bruised stomach from it's dagger. The hospital will begin construction shortly.

20th Obsidian 104:

We're having a leak from the Underpasture; Naked Mole Dogs keep coming up. They go down easily, and are good for meat, so no harm done. Underpasture is nearly walled off completely. And our respected Weaponsmith and Metalcrafter Dumed Rigothusen has enteded a strange mood. Hopefully an Artifact weapon will result.

We got an Iron Ring out of it, and a Legendary Metal Crafter. Not what I'd hoped, but good enough.

Spoiler
    Show

1st Granite 105:

Aright, time to report on the year's progress.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

The Surface. The wall closest to the entrance should be extended to the river and the western wall. Hopefully those naked mole dog corpses will be butchered and tanned before they rot. Beehives art enclosed by the wall to the southwest. A weapon rack and armor stand are carved, they should be put outside somewhere.

Spoiler
    Show

Level One. Currently just a trapped hallway. Remember to build a floor to prevent tree growth.

Spoiler
    Show

Level Two. Home to our farms, the lower two are currently being cleared of cave flora, remember to build the farm plots there.

Spoiler
    Show

Level Three, the main level. Founder rooms are to the north, kitchen and dining to the south. Also in the south is the hospital, please remember to place the traction bench and to designate it as a hospital. To the west are crafting rooms and storage. The empty rooms were intended for cloth, a clothier, and a loom.

Spoiler
    Show

Level Four, housing. All dwarves currently have bedrooms.

Spoiler
    Show

The Underpasture, currently being sealed off from the rest of the cavern, and under siege by naked mole dogs. This will need to be finished, and note the mole dog moving for the staircase. It should be killed and eaten. The good news is that it's only him and one more mole dog left.

Save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6993
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-02 at 01:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone available to dedicate a few hours to the fort within the next few days, make a post confirming so and 24 hours after this post I'll select someone from the available players. For clarity, if you're going to have to put off the game for five or six days, that does not count as "being available."

23. - Top - End - #203

DwarfFighterGuy

I can do so. Not immediately as I am about to go to bed , and not tomorrow morning as I have a doctor's visit, but sometime tomorrow/thursday I should be able to step in and work on it if noone else can.

24. - Top - End - #204

DwarfFighterGuy

Sorry to bail like this, but shortly after making my pervious post, I wound up in the hospital with appendicitis. Since then, I have been living without reliable access to an internet capable and/or gaming computer. I regretfully have to pass my turn for the time being.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want, we can bring you to the chief medical dwarf. He's a butcher who I've randomly assigned medical jobs!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

YAY forums are back up
    also ill put my name in

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Go for it, Zargodia.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that giving Zargodia the turn, or confirming him into the pool of applicants?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

for years chopping trees with my father and practicing my technique with
    a log I set up, so when I heard they was a position for someone who was
    good with an axe I jump at the opportunity. So now here I am chopping
    trees when I was expecting to be fighting goblins. Oh well, I am quite
    good at it and I do find it fun to swing my axe though the trees.

but then I am told I'm going to be the next overseer of this place so
    lets take look at the place

Spoiler
    Show

Farms seem to be in order might want to make them bigger later when
    we get more workers

Spoiler
    Show

following to Luzahn's notes I am putting the traction bench in the
    hospital and setting up the clothiers

Spoiler
    Show

as well as killing that mole dog

well this place is pretty calm and I hope it will be a peaceful and fun
    year for me

this is Zargodia 2nd overseer of Inkedbrush signing out

Edit: so i just got a HUGE(22) migrant wave and all of them suck except one (novice or good at almost useless skills like dyeing) any ideas on what to do with them?
    Last edited by Zargodia; 2012-10-06 at 08:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Is that giving Zargodia the turn, or confirming him into the pool of applicants?
    He's up, since I don't think I'm going to have the patience for it in the next few days and the forums being down for the last few days kind of put a damper on the momentum.