New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

Might as well post the save after the fort fell.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Shall we let Wookie play the first year of the new fort then? He barely got a season.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fine with me. I'd like to suggest this site again (save with embark; (THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE RECLAIMED, THIS IS JUST TO CLARIFY WHERE EXACTLY THE SITE IS, don't actually use this file)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll see what I can do this afternnon then. Hopefully the dwarfs will do something more productive than show up and die this time around.

Edit: So now that I've finally found the above site listed by Spradoinkle an actually update should be coming shortly.

Edit +1:

Journal of Wookieetank:

Spoiler
    Show
    1st of Granite: We have arrived in our new home.

I don't know what dwarfhome was thinking when they sent us into the middle of this sandtrap. I don't think we need a strategic reserve of sand, but then I did get myself sent here, so what do I know. Looking over the dwarfs that accompany me, I see that this expedition must be the mountainhome's biggest joke. For being sent into the middle of a desert, our group has not 1 but 2 woodworkers, and 2 Fishery Workers. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this fate, but it was not worth it.

First order of buisness, building a moat, and chopping down what trees we can find.

18th of Granite: While attempting to dig out our starting halls, we have struck damp stone. Why in Armok's name is there a blasted aquifer in a desert, let alone so close to the surface?!

Spoiler
    Show

15th of Slate: The search for a way around the aquifer continues. No stone has been found yet, but work on the moat is going quite well. At least something is coming together properly. Also a bridge is being built over the moat, mayhaps I'll flood it with the aquifer once its done being dug out. Might as well get some use out if it anyways

8th of Felsite: Still no sign of stone, will have to chop down more trees to use for building material. I can't believe we're having to resort to using elf materials for our grand fortress, Armok save us all.

15th of Felsite: With the completion of a carpentry workshop we now will be able to make beds and will no longer have to sleep upon this sandy ground.

13th of Hematite: I'm not sure who has stooped to such a dwarf low as to become a wood crafter like the pointy eared tree huggers, but their work is much appreciated I must sadly admit. We now have enough beds for everyone and will soon have enough doors that each dwarf will have a room to call their own.

EDIT:Pictures to come sometime tomorrow, got distracted by my new puppy and didn't get around to getting them uploaded today Pictures uploaded, more to come tomorrow or later tonight, depends on how my free time works out.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-10-16 at 09:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh oh....you used standard embark? Hopefully nothing will come along to kill us.

You may want to consider switching one of the useless into mining, you should have two picks.

Also, congratulations on Puppy.

And I recommend making new posts for your entries. People will have difficulty noticing the new info otherwise.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-17 at 10:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Already changed over one of the fisher dwarfs to be a miner, particularly since the central "swamps" have nothing to catch in them.

Will do on making new posts. Just gotten into a strong habit of never double posting.

Sometime(tm) tonight I'll get up pictures of the fort as stands and with any luck, I'll have the chance to get a good sized update posted (there will be at least some progress made today!).

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Already changed over one of the fisher dwarfs to be a miner, particularly since the central "swamps" have nothing to catch in them.

Will do on making new posts. Just gotten into a strong habit of never double posting.

Sometime(tm) tonight I'll get up pictures of the fort as stands and with any luck, I'll have the chance to get a good sized update posted (there will be at least some progress made today!).
    Yeah, the doublepost thing gets to me too. I always end up deleting the old post and posting my update, just so the thread indicates new content.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Continued log of Wookieetank the confused (or at least inexperienced)

Spoiler
    Show

Fort as stands:

10th of Malachite: Migrants have arrived! Looks like we got a farmer and a dwarven child, yay progress?

27th of Malachite: Buidling a channel to drain one of the lakes into the moat in the hopes to turn the bottom of the moat into farmland.

10th of Galena: The lake continues to drain and the moat continues to fill. There has yet to be any viable farmland to come of this yet, but my hope holds strong!

15th of Galena: Despite extensive searching it appears the aquifer completely covers the the layer below our dwellings. I'll see what I can do to getting past the aquifer, but that may have to be a project for whoever procedes me.

27th of Galena: Apparently clay can be used for farming, and now I know. And knowing is half the battle and/or power.

11th of Limestone: There are now 3 completely farm plots, and with any luck we'll soon be growing crops, because we are getting dangerously low on foods. And on second checking we're out of booze, a dark day this is. A still has been order construted and none too soon.

19th of Limestone: More Migrants arrive, a grand total of 6! More mouths to feed and booze addictions to fuel, great.

6th of Sandstone: We have drink again! I'd celebrate, but then we'd be out of our meager supplies in a day.

15th of Sandstone: Not sure when it was actually completed, but since I just noticed it we'll say now, our trade depot is now up and running.

24th of Sandstone: We're once again out of drink, but at least we have housing being dug out for our newest arrivals. Progress!

3rd of Timber: Luzahn has now become a Herbalist, here's hoping he can help keep us going.

17th of Timber: The outpost liason, Zulban Ledenseb, from Timarkib arrived, as did a caravan. Here's hoping I can trade for the booze and food we so desperately need.

5th of Moonstone: We have drink again, but seem to be mostly out of food. Here's hoping I get back from where ever I wandered off to before the merchants wander off so that I can trade for more foodstuffs. For some reason there is an obnoxiously large number of hamster corpses lying around everywhere. I have created a stockpile to gather them all in one place.

Current state of things:
    Surface:

Attempted moat farm (and lack of actually farm like things):

Rooms and Stockpile:

Actual farms and failed attempt at breaching the aquifer:

Current state of affairs (short version, not good ):

I'm not sure how playable this fort will be after I'm done with it. Not getting any stone before hitting the aquifer has greatly hindered the production of anything really, but its been interesting trying to survive with wood as a building material in a desert... If you figure that one out let me know, cause it doesn't make sense to me

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, unless you moved the embark from the one suggested, there should be multiple biomes under there I believe. Hopefully one didnt have an aquifer.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I used the exact embark pictured in Shpadoinkle's picture. Never having dealt with an aquifer before, or a complete lack of stone, it is making for an interesting time. So far no one has gone mad, and the crops keep showing up right when needed so no one is starving, but it is definitely a tenuous grasp on stability that the fort currently has.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Naah, we're perfectly stable. When you think about it, stone really is an unnecessary luxury. At the worst we can build a mighty glass fortress. And there are ways to get through aquifer, especially since the map freezes. I'm sure somebody has the expertise; I really just know how to cave-in breech.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Double-slit method of breaching an aquifer. It's what I'll be using if it hasn't been done by the time my turn comes around.

Also, Wookietank, there's like a day of your turn left, so please be sure to upload the save even if your year isn't over.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Final Journal of Wookieetank:

Spoiler
    Show
    25th of Moonstone: The Caravans have left. Attempts continue in the aquifer breaching vein, no success yet.

1st of Opal: Due to the dwarfs needing something to keep them entertained in the winter months, I've commanded for the stockpile to be expanded.

13th of Opal: For lack of any other news, Kumil Kolguz has grown into a peasant. Not sure how one grows to beocome a peasant, but we'll go with it.

23th of Opal: Besmar Kikrottulon is now a Herbalist, which with the surprisingly high ammount of Herb-like plants I'm finding in the desert is rather useful.

12th of Obsidian: MonarchAnarch has been found dead of dehydration. Why in Armok's name is someone dying of dehydration when ther is so much water exposed due to the aquifer we have? Miracles never cease.

24th of Obsidian: The dining room is mostly finished and as soon as our carpenter (pointy eared tree hugger wanna be) finishes on tables and chairs we'll actually have somewhere respectable to eat.

27th of Obsidian: Bomrek Talultun, one of our children was missing for a week before being found dead from dehydration. We may live in a desert and all, but we DO NOT want for water thanks to this pesky aquifer. I know not what foul compulsions hold sway over our dwarfs.

1st of Granite: Finally spring is here and my time is done.

The fort as stands:

Spoiler
    Show
    Exterior:

Bedrooms, stockpile, and etc.:

Farms and attempted aquifer breach:

Status of the fort:

The save:

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks pretty good so far from what I see, though I miss the painstaking symmetry of our second fort.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

If you'll be available within the next two or three days to dedicate some time to the fort, make a post affirming so and (approximately) 48 hours after this post I'll select someone at random from the available players.

I personally will be available.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Looks pretty good so far from what I see, though I miss the painstaking symmetry of our second fort.
    I'm glad(?) the lack of food and drink resources is not something to be troubled about. I usually go for symmetry myself, but with the lack of stone, and looking for a way around the aquifer, I just kinda built things into empty spaces that were left over after exploratory mining. I wish much luck to who ever has the (mis)fortune to follow me.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems like nobody else is available, so it falls to me. First update should be up later today or sometimes tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

No wonder I've been so thirsty the last few days..
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

The save works, now I just need to work up the motivation to actually write up an update. I did a little planning (I'm going to try the plug method of breaching the aquifer, since the double-slit method, upon further review, seems awfully time consuming) but nothing worthy of an 'official' post.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it seems like my motherboard died, so my computer is unusable for however long it's going to take to get that fixed, and the only other computer I have access to is even more of a piece of crap than mine and runs the save at about 8 FPS, which I simply am not going to be able to stand. So, I apologize, but I'm going to have to forfeit my turn this time.

Anyone who will be available in the next two or three days to take a turn, make a post affirming so and 24 hours after this post I'll select someone from the available players.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm willing to take the turn, if noone else who hasn't had one isn't available.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly I am away all weekend..perhaps I'll get in on the next shift. :)
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for not posting last night, I forgot. Since Luzahn is the only person available, he's up.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Overseer’s Log, 1st Granite 108
    Well, I’ve been put in charge of another Armok-damned fortress in the middle of nowhere. This desert is far less pleasant than the last one. Everybody seems to be dehydrating, and we can’t get into the rock.

...never get any smithing done...grumble...

I aim to fix this.

3rd Slate 108: One of our farmers has gone berserk. A combination of lack of water and Death, I assume. It’s no excuse.

We’ve lost a militiaman; Doesn’t look like anybody important, and the farmer is dead.

5th Slate 108: We are attempting to breach the aquifer. Our hallway is slightly wet, but hopefully the aquifer is shallow.

Our breaching attempt has been successful, and we have hit a layer of dacite. And we only had one near-drowning! However, we also have no food. The horses are set to be murdered.

8th Slate 108: We’ve had a massive influx of migrants into the fort. Most of them are useless, though many are skilled at arms. I suppose it’s an upside to living on a world with three times the usual goblins.
    In any case, our militia is now populated by dedicated soldiers.

11th Slate 108: One of our new soldiers has been possessed. Let’s see what the useless sod decides to take.
    Well, at least we don’t need a crafting workshop.

20th Slate 108: Our strand extractor has gone mad with the crushing depression of this place. Honestly, I have no idea why this gets to them. This place is far nicer than the last few.

23rd Slate 108: So far, we’ve got a nice aquifer breach, and construction of a traditional, stone-carved fortress is underway. Our military is…populated, but so far I’ve had little luck in finding metal down in the depths. Hopefully we can purchase weapons from the humans.

Bah, what a sorry state when a Dwarf’s asking that.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-28 at 09:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Bah, what a sorry state when a Dwarf’s asking that.
    At least that's dwarfier than having to resort to using the materials of the godless pointy eared treehugging hippes of questionable parentage (gorram elves...).

Congrats on breaching the aquifer and finding stone though.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

10th Felsite 108: Our miners have struck rich deposits of silver! At least the stuff is shiny. And make great hammers. Our blades will be…less than useful, though. Still, it’s time to fire up the forges!

17th Felsite 108. The dead walk. We fortify. Silver shall be brought from the depths. Lore holds that it can harm the dead.
    We seem to have 23 zombies, along with one visible necromancer. Hopefully our carpenters can tear down the bridge in time.

They could not. We have sealed off the surface, but one of our beekeepers has been trapped above. May he die with honor.

27th Felsite 108: The moody dwarf trapped above has gone berserk. I think I'll unleash him on the zombies and hope for the best.

(Those bridges were actually attached to something, correct? Otherwise this could be bad.)
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-29 at 01:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

They would have been if I could have had acess to stone to build mechanisms and the like....

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    They would have been if I could have had acess to stone to build mechanisms and the like....
    Unfortunate. Well, I've sealed off the surface until we can get armed. Lost a hunter, and the Strange Mood dwarf, who's locked up upstairs.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

I have regained power.

Overseer’s Log, Unknown date: Blast! Some damned rainstorm had blown through, destroying our power sources and causing my previous log to be blown into a fire. Reminds me of Sandy, my last wife. She had a temper, that one. Luckily my previous logs had been placed into my coffer, but the current pages have been lost. It is dark here. Sadly, the little sketches of the fort have been lost as well; I’ll be making copies of em once the power supply is dealt with.
    I will, to the best of my knowledge, summarize what has happened.
    Two caverns have been breached, causing one worm attack and a casualty. However, the worm was delicious, so I call it a wash.

Mole dogs have also laid siege to the fortress. They too are delicious.

With our food situation dealt with, we forged the required silver weapons and proceeded with Operation Death Tube, in which a tunnel was dug beneath the necromancer leading the siege, in an attempt to murder him painfully.

9th Timber 108: Operation Death Tube has met with mixed success. The necromancer immediately fled and our soldiers, in an admirable display of incompetence, all scattered across the desert to deal with various undead. I no longer see the necromancer, so hopefully he has fled the field.

Half of the militia is now dead, but the remaining zombies are being cleared off. Hopefully all of the Death doesn’t trigger one of those tantrum spirals I’ve heard about. I’m no good at dealing with those; most of the forts I’ve run die quickly.

We are clearing the last of the zombies with good results, though an undead camel has eliminated the rest of the military. It is mightier than all the other zombies put together. As the last dwarf with military skill, I am grabbing my mace and attacking. Hopefully I will prevail.

Bah, I’ve been killed heavily injured. Along with most everyone else. That zombie camel is more lethal than the rest of them put together.

7th Moonstone 108: The long siege has finally been lifted. We have been reduced to nineteen in number. Hopefully our masons will manage to craft enough coffins in time to prevent a tantrum spiral.

12th Moonstone 108: Two of our number have gone mad. At least it was nobody important. Though at this point, nobody is really important.

Another has gone berserk. Lovely. Luckily he is too injured to leave his bed.

Kpenguin keeps throwing tantrums. Hopefully he’ll be able to pull out of it.

24th Moonstone 108: Migrants! Thank Armok! They should let us to stabilize enough for survival.

Well, we got nine dwarves, none of whom are good at much. Ah well, at least things can function. Maybe we’ll manage to bury everyone and get all the blood off the walls.

21st Opal 108: We’ve got maddwarves running around everywhere now. This is getting a bit silly. We look to be surviving though. I’ve begun making some silver trade goods, but that blow I took during the fighting appears to have removed my skill at smithing. Ah well.

Bah, why do these fools insist on burying the zombie dwarves? We didn’t know them…

1st Granite 109: Spring has arrived, and we are not dead. Most of the corpses have been buried, too. We’ve lost access to the caverns though, due to a lack of armed forces.

We have found tetrahedrite down in the depths, along the main mineshaft. At least we finally have armoring material. Hopefully the next overseer realizes we are in a stable position. And links that damned bridge to a lever.

Well, this ends my reign as Overseer. Hopefully I can manage to get pictures up at a later date.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7091
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-10-31 at 06:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I haven't been diligent about checking this thread, stuff has been keeping me busy. Anyway, if you're going to be available to take a turn int he next couple days, make a post affirming so and I'll select someone from the available players (approximately) 24 hours after this post.

To be honest I'd rather not take this turn, but if nobody else is available to play I will.