New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    And with this, I agree whole-heartedly. I'd also like to see 'rebellious' offshoots as the 3 big Merc bands as enemies, too, but for some reason a lot of people I've suggested that to think it doesn't sound good.
    Only if any named characters in these Merc factions exhibit stupidity on par with attacking the faction that is actively defending against a xenocidal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Having said that, I've always believed that NPC Vanguards should have access to exactly the same skills as Player Vanguards, so I'm probably not a very good cross-section of the fanbase....
    Agreed, with the caveat that "Boss" NPC Vanguards should have the same skills as Player Vanguards. Mook NPC Vanguards need not have Biotic Charge. Likewise, any Boss that's a sapient alien should have access to the skills of a Shepard with their class (or at the very least a multiplayer character with their class and race). A certain Latter-game boss whom I will not spoil should have been an N7 Shadow, and a certain plot-annoyance in his fight should have been a callback to LotSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Agreed, with the caveat that "Boss" NPC Vanguards should have the same skills as Player Vanguards. Mook NPC Vanguards need not have Biotic Charge. Likewise, any Boss that's a sapient alien should have access to the skills of a Shepard with their class (or at the very least a multiplayer character with their class and race). A certain Latter-game boss whom I will not spoil should have been an N7 Shadow, and a certain plot-annoyance in his fight should have been a callback to LotSB.
    Assuming you mean Kai Leng, he's common knowledge at this point. And he's not a Shadow, he's a Phantom - the stealth of an Infiltrator, a sword, and biotics (i.e. Phase Disruptor and mini-Biotic Sphere, except his can stop gunfire as well as powers.) That's enough to be going on with I'd say - if Shepard had all those powers he'd be unstoppable. Imagine Shep having all those moves - Phase Disruptor + immuno-sphere alone would make you unkillable and remove all need for a gun, or squadmates.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Assuming you mean Kai Leng, he's common knowledge at this point. And he's not a Shadow, he's a Phantom - the stealth of an Infiltrator, a sword, and biotics (i.e. Phase Disruptor and mini-Biotic Sphere, except his can stop gunfire as well as powers.) That's enough to be going on with I'd say - if Shepard had all those powers he'd be unstoppable. Imagine Shep having all those moves - Phase Disruptor + immuno-sphere alone would make you unkillable and remove all need for a gun, or squadmates.
    I was mainly pussyfooting around the fact that this isn't the spoiler thread. And personally, he would have been better as a proto-N7 Shadow, rather than as an uber-Phantom, if for no other reason that he doesn't get the gunfire-stopping plot-shield. Furthermore, the gunship should have generated that silvery force-field thing that the Shadow Broker had when he needed a breather to regain shields, which in turn should have kept him in one place for the duration, to force our attentions onto the gunship. (As for why we don't stop it early and smack Leng in the face; two words: Gun Turret) Agreed that Shep with those powers would be broken, especially the anti-power shield (let alone Leng's plot-version). Of course, Novaguard!Shep is broken enough as it is, but that's beside the point.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, isn't that the whole point of the fight? To get you thinking "Put down the gunship and fight, damn you!" I left that fight feeling like he was a coward. A coward that beat me in a totally unfair manner and then mocked me about it.

Bastard.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Kai Leng was a character out of a self-insertion fanfic. I don't think we ought to consider him a serious example of anything.
    As for the differences between powers belonging to PCs and NPCs, it goes deeper than signature abilities. Note that no enemy biotics use any powers other than sort-of-Warp.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

And Banshees have their pseudo-charge, which combined with the warpish thing and OHKO melee... I hate those things.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Well, isn't that the whole point of the fight? To get you thinking "Put down the gunship and fight, damn you!" I left that fight feeling like he was a coward. A coward that beat me in a totally unfair manner and then mocked me about it.

Bastard.
    A boss fight with someone who is talked up a great deal should not be granting the impression that said person is a coward. That he is a threat, definitely. That he is underhanded, sure. Not that he is a coward. And frankly, much of the problems with said impression could be fixed (IMO) with one change to the line ending the fight: "This is no longer fun nor useful. Target the supports." At which point the cutscene would progress normally. Also, using the silver anti-gun shield over "herp derp plot-biotics" shows a familiarity with your own world universe continuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Kai Leng was a character out of a self-insertion fanfic. I don't think we ought to consider him a serious example of anything.
    As for the differences between powers belonging to PCs and NPCs, it goes deeper than signature abilities. Note that no enemy biotics use any powers other than sort-of-Warp.
    That's because we've seen two biotic bosses that have signature abilities apart from Warp; Matriarch Benezia, which was an annoying boss fight involving stunlocks, stunlocks everywhere, and Tela Vasir, who was an epically fun boss fight who Charged all over the field like a blue rhino.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-02 at 11:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308

Novaguard Shep has to tiptoe around Banshees so I don't consider him broken at all myself. (Though at least he can pick up Reave.)

Well, Scions use Shockwave and Harby has his nega-Singularity, but I see your point. Still, the weakness of enemy powers is a necessary compensation for their vastly superior numbers and superhuman aim. Can you imagine if they could throw contact grenades like we could? We wouldn't even survive Silver.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Grenades on par with multiplayer chars might be OK for a one-off sidequest boss. For example if a Citadel sidequest led you to an abandoned warehouse and the batarian in charge had Inferno Grenade or something.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Scions use Shockwave and Harby has his nega-Singularity, but I see your point. Still, the weakness of enemy powers is a necessary compensation for their vastly superior numbers and superhuman aim. Can you imagine if they could throw contact grenades like we could? We wouldn't even survive Silver.
    I agree. I wasn't complaining about the segregation of PC and NPC powers; it's necessary for the game to work.
    I wouldn't mind some more unorthodox multiplayer characters, though, like Infiltrators with no Tactical Cloak or Vanguards with no Charge.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quick question / complaint NOT ABOUT THE ENDING:

I finally started playing this and... who approved the design decision to replace gunfire with Tinkerbell farting?

Seriously?

In ME1 the sound of guns firing was pretty good. A little muted but quite powerful and with an unique touch.

In ME2 you really felt like you were holding a Hand Cannon that really was just that.

In ME3... Even my super-sniper rifle that shoot explosive rockets and gibbs Cerberus mooks? It sounds like a pixie trying to cover up her farts, pardon my french. Assault rifles are even worse.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

12. - Top - End - #312

I agree. I wasn't complaining about the segregation of PC and NPC powers; it's necessary for the game to work.
    I wouldn't mind some more unorthodox multiplayer characters, though, like Infiltrators with no Tactical Cloak or Vanguards with no Charge.
    I agree - the adepts, engineers and soldiers have a lot of variety among them. And there's even a Sentinel with no armor power. But the challenge becomes making a chargeless Vanguard still feel like a Vanguard, and a cloakless Infiltrator feel like an Infiltrator - rather than a "Shotgun Adept" or "Sniper Engineer" as they felt in ME1. Especially now that those classes can be built easily in ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    In ME3... Even my super-sniper rifle that shoot explosive rockets and gibbs Cerberus mooks? It sounds like a pixie trying to cover up her farts, pardon my french. Assault rifles are even worse.
    Buh? The Widow, BW, Harrier, Typhoon, Revenant, Claymore, Kishock, Graal, and GPS all sound plenty meaty to me. The Carnifex and Paladin sound nice and heavy, and even the Katana has a decent thud.

I'll agree there are weapons that sound weak, but most of those ARE weak, so it fits.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-10-02 at 01:40 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

That's a challenge, yes. It would require making sure they can still perform the basic function of their class - precise striking for Infiltrator and fast close-combat for Vanguard (roughly speaking) - better than a shotgun Adept or sniper rifle Engineer, as you put it, would. New unique powers would be a way to do it, of course.

14. - Top - End - #314

Which powers have we not seen yet? No class has Defense Matrix, Slam, or Defense Drone yet - are there any others?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Buh? The Widow, BW, Harrier, Typhoon, Revenant, Claymore, Kishock, Graal, and GPS all sound plenty meaty to me. The Carnifex and Paladin sound nice and heavy, and even the Katana has a decent thud.

I'll agree there are weapons that sound weak, but most of those ARE weak, so it fits.
    Plus the techno of the Geth Pulse Rifle and the Javelin's one-of-a-kind sound (vrrrrp, BOOM). Incisor sounds unique, as well, and the Mattock has that nice clack.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Making previous post appear.

Also: I just hit the firing range with everything my current Shepard has, which is pretty much everything but the Spectre gear, and the only guns I thought could be described as wimpy-sounding are the Hornet, Shruiken, Tempest, and maybe the Avenger.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Which powers have we not seen yet? No class has Defense Matrix, Slam, or Defense Drone yet - are there any others?
    Dominate, for one. Also the geth-specific powers that probably wouldn't work for anyone else (Hunter Mode and Geth Turret).

18. - Top - End - #318

Plus the techno of the Geth Pulse Rifle and the Javelin's one-of-a-kind sound (vrrrrp, BOOM). Incisor sounds unique, as well, and the Mattock has that nice clack.
    I forgot the Mattock I love feathering that thing. Pingpingpingpingpingdead

Making previous post appear.

Also: I just hit the firing range with everything my current Shepard has, which is pretty much everything but the Spectre gear, and the only guns I thought could be described as wimpy-sounding are the Hornet, Shruiken, Tempest, and maybe the Avenger.
    Locust sounds kinda wimpy too (like it's silenced, though since it's meant to be an assassin's gun it makes perfect sense.) The GPSMG sounds amazing, like a mini-jet engine if you lean on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Dominate, for one. Also the geth-specific powers that probably wouldn't work for anyone else (Hunter Mode and Geth Turret).
    Do you mean Shepard, or MP? Because both of those are available in MP - I was asking if there were any powers in the series that hadn't shown up in MP yet (you're right about Dominate.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

I think what Edge meant was that Geth Turret and Hunter Mode don't make much sense for non-Geth characters, so any new ones that show up probably won't use them.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, as for powers we haven't seen in Multiplayer:

-Assassinate has been brought up.
    -Ammo Powers (why not a weakened version that grants the power to the whole team?)
    -If there was ever a new Batarian or Turian class, perhaps a power that allows them to dual-wield for a short time?
    -Neural Shock

That's all I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Locust sounds kinda wimpy too (like it's silenced, though since it's meant to be an assassin's gun it makes perfect sense.) The GPSMG sounds amazing, like a mini-jet engine if you lean on the trigger.
    Yeah, I just picked that one up after I ran the sound test. Then the Cerberus base, and now it's time to take the Infiltrator to Earth.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well, as for powers we haven't seen in Multiplayer:

-Assassinate has been brought up.
    -Ammo Powers (why not a weakened version that grants the power to the whole team?)
    -If there was ever a new Batarian or Turian class, perhaps a power that allows them to dual-wield for a short time?
    -Neural Shock

That's all I can think of.
    As it has been said, neither Assassinate nor Neural Shock exist in ME3. Neural Shock has been made an upgrade of Overload.

23. - Top - End - #323

- A dual-wield power would definitely be boss, or a power that lets characters (especially Soldiers) use a third gun for awhile, possibly with decreasing penalties until rank 6.

- I'd love some form of gas grenade, like the knockout grenades from Feros in ME1, or the poison grenades from Gears of War.

- A durability power with a cooldown would be interesting - like an armor power, but much more durability, yet only for a short time. So you have a few seconds of titanic nigh-invulnerability before you have to sprint for cover. And to balance it out, you move more slowly and can't roll, similar to Devastator Mode.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

- A durability power with a cooldown would be interesting - like an armor power, but much more durability, yet only for a short time. So you have a few seconds of titanic nigh-invulnerability before you have to sprint for cover. And to balance it out, you move more slowly and can't roll, similar to Devastator Mode.
    Sounds like a modification on tech armor.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just finished the game.

I have to say that, overall, I am pleased with it. Probably because I waited until after the extended cut DLC to finish.

No compromise. No deals. No other choice. The Reapers went down HARD.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I just finished the game.

I have to say that, overall, I am pleased with it. Probably because I waited until after the extended cut DLC to finish.

No compromise. No deals. No other choice. The Reapers went down HARD.
    Yeah, if it wasn't for the friendly fire potential, it would be a no-brainer. My Infiltrator may pull it off, seeing as she lost the Geth, but there's still EDI...

I think the crap that was the original ending gave me a perspective where now I have no complaints with the Extended Cut.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, if it wasn't for the friendly fire potential, it would be a no-brainer. My Infiltrator may pull it off, seeing as she lost the Geth, but there's still EDI...
    I didn't even hesitate at that point either. My decision even seemed to be justified at the end, because (whether or not it was supposed to happen or not) EDI walked out of the ship. Shepard had a gasp of air at the end too, and Shepard was part synthetic.

My rule of thumb is: Never listen to an being that appears to be all-powerful, claims to know it all and only gives you three (four) options to solve something. Even if its not out right lying to you, it is NOT telling you the whole truth.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Balance Changes:

Spoiler
    Show
    AT-12 Raider Shotgun now available as a new Rare weapon

Gear Items
    - Decreased bonuses from Densified Ammunition to max out at 10% instead of 12%
    - For the following items, any bonuses that maxed out at 10% now max out at 12%
    - Berserker Package
    - Operative Package
    - Commando Package
    - Warfighter Package
    - Expert Package
    - Stronghold Package
    - Guerrilla Upgrade
    - Combatives Upgrade
    - Shock Trooper Upgrade
    - Juggernaut Shield
    - Martial Biotic Amp
    - Omni-Capacitors

Singularity Power
    - Singularity duration decreased to 8 seconds in preparation for the re-design of the power in the upcoming patch

Shockwave Power
    - Rank 3 force bonus increased from 20% to 25% (May 9 balance changes missed this)

Wraith Shotgun
    - Damage increased from [102.3-127.8] to [117.6-147.0]

Crusader Shotgun
    - Damage increased from [573.4-716.75] to [630.7-788.4]

Argus Assault Rifle
    - Damage increased from [131.8-164.8] to [164.8-206.0]

Black Widow Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [514.1-642.6] to [591.2-739.0]

Gear is more awesome now and ultra-rares do more damage. Also new shotgun.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Intriguing? Intriguing? They look downright magnificent.

Edward Hardwick, Alliance Adept, will likely be seeing much more usage.
    Yeah. I've been using singularity that way since the beginning. Those are pretty slick though an I'm glad.

I have personally reported like, nine cheaters in the collective 1:13 minutes I've played platinum in the last month. I even had a gu today with the gall to tell me to sit the **** down and shut up and be his bitch because he was the one making all the money so I had to shut up. Should hack him to find his address and take a plane ride to curb stomp the waste of genetics...

Ashley has access to Marksman, which is the same power as the one Turian Soldiers get. Assassinate is a sniper rifle power in Mass Effect 1 and I don't think it exists in Mass Effect 3.
    The power used by Cerberus Nemesis is referred to as assassinate. It's the only way I can figure their piddly gun could hurt that bad, too.

Slam is actually an evolution of lift grenades, at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Balance Changes:

Spoiler
    Show
    AT-12 Raider Shotgun now available as a new Rare weapon

Gear Items
    - Decreased bonuses from Densified Ammunition to max out at 10% instead of 12%
    - For the following items, any bonuses that maxed out at 10% now max out at 12%
    - Berserker Package
    - Operative Package
    - Commando Package
    - Warfighter Package
    - Expert Package
    - Stronghold Package
    - Guerrilla Upgrade
    - Combatives Upgrade
    - Shock Trooper Upgrade
    - Juggernaut Shield
    - Martial Biotic Amp
    - Omni-Capacitors

Singularity Power
    - Singularity duration decreased to 8 seconds in preparation for the re-design of the power in the upcoming patch

Shockwave Power
    - Rank 3 force bonus increased from 20% to 25% (May 9 balance changes missed this)

Wraith Shotgun
    - Damage increased from [102.3-127.8] to [117.6-147.0]

Crusader Shotgun
    - Damage increased from [573.4-716.75] to [630.7-788.4]

Argus Assault Rifle
    - Damage increased from [131.8-164.8] to [164.8-206.0]

Black Widow Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [514.1-642.6] to [591.2-739.0]

Gear is more awesome now and ultra-rares do more damage. Also new shotgun.
    nice. In surprised they dropped densities anmunition though. Doesn't make sense that a specialized power+gun gear does more than an all ammo gear.

Got the raider up to 2, but haven't had any games really pan out and now it's time to go out for dinner. Kind o upset at the rampant cheating, honestly. Ruins the mood. Argus is light enough to try on the turian soldier; haven't though, ecause from memory it is as inaccurate as the Revenant. In which case I'll use the Revenant.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I have personally reported like, nine cheaters in the collective 1:13 minutes I've played platinum in the last month. I even had a gu today with the gall to tell me to sit the **** down and shut up and be his bitch because he was the one making all the money so I had to shut up. Should hack him to find his address and take a plane ride to curb stomp the waste of genetics...
    Just report his ass. He was one of the cheaters, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The power used by Cerberus Nemesis is referred to as assassinate. It's the only way I can figure their piddly gun could hurt that bad, too.
    I was wondering why my Raptor 5 was so underwhelming.