New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I have to say my favorite thing about this latest patch was the Krogan, specifically the massive (and much-needed) stagger resist boost they all got.

With that buff, stunlock is a thing of the past and my Krogan Sentinel kicks mucho ass on Gold - able to take all manner of punishment, even Prime/Ravager shots to the face, without stumbling. Against Cerberus, Phantoms are literally the only thing he has to watch for (even turrets are an annoyance at best); on Reapers, Banshees (and then only up close), and on Geth, only Hunters pose a threat.

On Collectors, one of the biggest problems for everyone else (seeker swarms) are nothing to him - I often run around picking them up to keep them off the casters, and for the cool glowy effect as the bugs surround you. But as tough as he is, Scions still rip through his shields like butter, Praetorians are just as "oh ****!" if they get close for him as they are for everyone else, and possessed abominations need to be given a wide berth before kills (and never meleed.)

Those things aside, he's a lot of fun to play. Currently I have him outfitted with Revenant X, an Arc Pistol sidearm (VIII) and a 20% shield gear - with that layout, I often plant him in a hallway facing on oncoming Atlas, pouring clip after clip into the viewscreen while it feebly tries and fails to take my shields down. For Tuchanka
    I'd think swatting abominations away with the heavy melee and watching them explode as they soar would be awesome.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Two consecutive Wraiths. Still no Harrier. Curse you, RNG.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #513
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I'd think swatting abominations away with the heavy melee and watching them explode as they soar would be awesome.
    I find even the normal ones still blow up close enough to hurt you, never mind the possessed. I've taken to letting them grapple me so I could safely kill them with the headstomp instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What's everyone's opinion on the multiplayer achievements accomplishments? They've grown on me since their introduction, if only because my current selection of chars (which, BTW, haven't disappeared since my last promotion) can get me a lot of them just through normal play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on the multiplayer achievements accomplishments? They've grown on me since their introduction, if only because my current selection of chars (which, BTW, haven't disappeared since my last promotion) can get me a lot of them just through normal play.
    I haven't played since their introduction, but I can already tell you I don't care about them, as I've never cared about any form of achievements, and they don't unlock anything relevant to gameplay.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the volus engineer. Stick with the group, stay out sight as much as possible, use Recon Mine to contribute to damage, only stand and fight when you have backup or no other option, spam shield recovery.

Btw, do the 360 players here get together in Mass Effect regularly, or do you usually just do your own things? I've seen a few people here online, but I was afraid of intruding or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Btw, do the 360 players here get together in Mass Effect regularly, or do you usually just do your own things? I've seen a few people here online, but I was afraid of intruding or something.
    I can't speak for the others but I don't play with anyone regularly*, I am however always willing to play with my fellow Playgrounders.

My Gamertag is Kugger, it's in the first post but I thought I'd post it again for convenience.

*Though there are some that I play with irregularly.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

After a couple of months off, I've returned with the new DLC. Got the Vlous engie in my second PSP. He is fun but terribly, terribly squishy. Not being able to take cover really hurts. Still getting use to it.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

I find even the normal ones still blow up close enough to hurt you, never mind the possessed. I've taken to letting them grapple me so I could safely kill them with the headstomp instead.
    Odd, charge seems to do just find of sending them away in time, and the krogan heavy melee has a lot more force behind it.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Banned

I have to say my favorite thing about this latest patch was the Krogan, specifically the massive (and much-needed) stagger resist boost they all got.

With that buff, stunlock is a thing of the past and my Krogan Sentinel kicks mucho ass on Gold - able to take all manner of punishment, even Prime/Ravager shots to the face, without stumbling. Against Cerberus, Phantoms are literally the only thing he has to watch for (even turrets are an annoyance at best); on Reapers, Banshees (and then only up close), and on Geth, only Hunters pose a threat.

On Collectors, one of the biggest problems for everyone else (seeker swarms) are nothing to him - I often run around picking them up to keep them off the casters, and for the cool glowy effect as the bugs surround you. But as tough as he is, Scions still rip through his shields like butter, Praetorians are just as "oh ****!" if they get close for him as they are for everyone else, and possessed abominations need to be given a wide berth before kills (and never meleed.)

Those things aside, he's a lot of fun to play. Currently I have him outfitted with Revenant X, an Arc Pistol sidearm (VIII) and a 20% shield gear - with that layout, I often plant him in a hallway facing on oncoming Atlas, pouring clip after clip into the viewscreen while it feebly tries and fails to take my shields down. For Tuchanka
    Praetorians are the new banshee, grabbing you at innoportune moments.

Although both the Cerberus lash and enforcement gauntlet have enough force to push away an abomination, the Krogan charge should as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Conceptually, I like goals, an I like that trying toget them in a single-minded manner requires changing how I play. I just ran an entire match using annihilation field as my main offense. That thing explodes good.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the volus engineer. Stick with the group, stay out sight as much as possible, use Recon Mine to contribute to damage, only stand and fight when you have backup or no other option, spam shield recovery.

I've seen you about, but I've always been either busy, or saw that you were busy - there were several times the 'join session in progress' option wasn't available. I also play with some guys who horse around, and I've found I have to segregate my joking shoot-em-up friends from my 'let's finish platinum in fifteen minutes' friends.

Kugger is always on Netflix :P

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Although both the Cerberus lash and enforcement gauntlet have enough force to push away an abomination, the Krogan charge should as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Odd, charge seems to do just find of sending them away in time, and the krogan heavy melee has a lot more force behind it.
    I don't have charge - I'm a Sentinel.

Unless you mean the heavy melee, which does knock them away - but if the hit is enough to kill them they die in mid-air, close enough for you to take damage. But slapping them away when they're too healthy to die is a great tactic, as you can turn them into living grenades with a quick shot.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, time to try out that Volus Adept. I guess I'll max his active powers and leave the passives at 4, then see how it goes. Spamming Stasis and going for heavy pistol headshots ought to work.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, turn their heads into a pulpy mass!
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

After a Silver match, I find the Volus Adept to be a curious character. Stasis is, as always, good. The Biotic Orbs do very little damage, so I kept them on most of the time to be able to spam the other two powers. They do detonate biotic explosions, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Now, the Shield Boost is quite the power. Without it, the Volus crumple like tissue paper, but at level 6 with the damage reduction upgrade, it not only saved my skin but let me soak up Banshees' blasts and Ravagers' shots.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #525

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Yeah, turn their heads into a pulpy mass!
    Wrong line - Wasea (the Eclipse Asari) said that one. Biotic God said "toss her about like a ragdoll."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Right line. I was thinking of Wasea's line, seeing as she is actually fit to use biotics. Plus he said he was going for headshots.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Good news: I got an M-77 Paladin!
    Bad news: My Carnifex is better due to upgrades!
    Good news: One more upgrade and that Paladin should be better than my Carnifex!
    Bad news: I'm more likely to get more Carnifex upgrades before I ever get another Paladin upgrade!

*sigh* I would happily give up the volus classes for a real trading card system. I'd be more than happy to trade that Geth engineer for a Phoenix Vanguard.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Kugger is always on Netflix :P
    Yes, yes I am. Though assuming it's actually me and not a member of my family using my Gold Account to watch Netflix then I'm usually willing to drop it to play Mass Effect with Playgrounders.

19. - Top - End - #529

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Right line. I was thinking of Wasea's line, seeing as she is actually fit to use biotics. Plus he said he was going for headshots.
    I figured you were trying to quote the BG there since Morty was a Volus Adept.

Good news: I got an M-77 Paladin!
    Bad news: My Carnifex is better due to upgrades!
    Good news: One more upgrade and that Paladin should be better than my Carnifex!
    Bad news: I'm more likely to get more Carnifex upgrades before I ever get another Paladin upgrade!
    I'm in the same boat - Paladin I vs. Carnifex 8. But both are gathering cobwebs thanks to my Arc Pistol and Scorpion anyway so I guess it's ultimately moot. (I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but Arc Pistol is the greatest sidearm of all time, all time.)

*sigh* I would happily give up the volus classes for a real trading card system. I'd be more than happy to trade that Geth engineer for a Phoenix Vanguard.
    Honestly? I badly wanted the Phoenix classes before I got them... but after getting them I'm pretty underwhelmed. The Slayer outclasses the Phoenix Vanguard in just about every way, and the vanilla human Adept can put out much more damage than his Phoenix counterpart.

I will say though that' it's really cool to watch a PV take on Dragoons, what with the biotic whips flashing everywhere. It's as cool as watching a Phantom and Shadow/Fury gracefully duking it out.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

The Slayer outclasses the Phoenix Vanguard in just about every way, and the vanilla human Adept can put out much more damage than his Phoenix counterpart.
    The Phoenix Vanguard remains the only Vanguard that can both set up and detonate biotic explosions. Not as easy to do as when Smash had a sub-2 second cooldown, but with some shield boosting gear and consumables Smash into Charge is still very possible.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed. For all the good new things they're introducing, the random pack system remains a pain to deal with.

22. - Top - End - #532

Even without combos, the Slayer packs more of a wallop imo (Biotic Slash and PD hit hard) and, much more importantly, is effective at longer range.

And Asari/Drell Vanguards can self-combo too, while Battlemasters can Fire Explosion now.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-10-15 at 05:41 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Even without combos, the Slayer packs more of a wallop imo (Biotic Slash and PD hit hard) and, much more importantly, is effective at longer range.

And Asari/Drell Vanguards can self-combo too, while Battlemasters can Fire Explosion now.
    I detest Phase Disruptor, so I don't really count that as a point in the Slayer's favour.

I'll admit that Biotic Slash is an excellent skill that hits hard, but given that its wind-up time is even longer than Smash's, if you have to do it out in the open, you're in trouble. Also, the fact that you can't melee or roll-cancel out of Biotic Slash is a drawback. Don't get me wrong, I love playing my Slayer, but I think it's about on-par with the Phoenix.

I forgot about the Asari Vanguard's Stasis into Charge detonation, because I haven't specced her with Stasis for a long time (nor do I particularly miss it, due to the long cooldown time on Stasis making for very inefficient biotic explosions), but I contest the Drell Vanguard's self-detonation capability.

Yes, Pull into Charge or Cluster Grenades works, but on higher difficulties the number of enemies you are capable of Pulling lowers so rapidly that it's not really worth it in my opinion.

24. - Top - End - #534

It's fine not to like PD, but that doesn't make it any weaker. I personally hate using flame turrets (I like my turrets to be next to me) but I can't deny their damage output on armor either.

Regarding BS, I find the long windup matters less when you can do it from that much further away, behind multiple walls.

Regarding the Asari Van, if I may say so, you're doing it wrong - remember the Stasis only breaks when you take out their shield/barrier. So SOP is to freeze them with bubble, pump them full of bullets (preferably from your Harrier or Hurricane) until they have a single bar of shield left, then charge to finish the job. Mastering this technique lets you solo multiple Phantoms with ease, since they tend to run single-file into it. Even if they don't die from the explosion, they stay ragdolled on the ground, easy prey for execution shots.

Drell I'll give you, but it's not that hard to spray some bullets to lower a shield, pull that target and charge in to explode all over the still-shielded ones either. Or toss grenades followed by area pull.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've found a new cred-farming setup; this time on Goddess rather than White. However, it is unchanged from normal geth farming in every other respect. In this setup, you use that area to the right of the LZ, with the ammo box and only two entrances. The salarian goes at the ramp in the back of the room, with the decoy as close to the hallway as possible. The remaining three guard the entrance facing the LZ. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well. I just spent a few hours killing Collectors with some very nice people whom I F.R.'d immediately afterwards. We only managed to extract on one mission, but we made an interesting discovery. Apparently, the unit composition that seemed to work best was an assortment of classes that relied on weapons and could take a lot of punishment. Because most of these classes don't rely on cooldowns, we were able to maintain our effectiveness even in the face of Seeker plagues.

When I finally bid my new friends "Goodbye," I saw that not only had I gotten most of the Galaxy Map to 100% combat effectiveness, I had accumulated enough credits for a PSP. And what did I find in this PSP? Some medi-gel, a few weapon mods, the Battlefield 3 Soldier class, and the Volus Adept.

This was a very good night, indeed.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

The Battlefield 3 Soldier class? That's impossible. You can only get it if you own Battlefield 3. Plus, it stinks. Replace concussion shot with carnage, and you lose the whole point of the human soldier: lock down and keep the pressure on.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    The Battlefield 3 Soldier class? That's impossible. You can only get it if you own Battlefield 3. Plus, it stinks. Replace concussion shot with carnage, and you lose the whole point of the human soldier: lock down and keep the pressure on.
    Well, it says Battlefield 3 Soldier. It has carnage and that weird glowing part of the armor.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Actually it's available now for everyone through packs. I got it recently as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it says Battlefield 3 Soldier. It has carnage and that weird glowing part of the armor.

It's supposed to resemble this guy. As in, in every way aside from the modern infantry armaments.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.