New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    When I finally bid my new friends "Goodbye," I saw that not only had I gotten most of the Galaxy Map to 100% combat effectiveness, I had accumulated enough credits for a PSP. And what did I find in this PSP? Some medi-gel, a few weapon mods, the Battlefield 3 Soldier class, and the Volus Adept.

This was a very good night, indeed.
    Two characters in the same PSP, one Ultra-Rare and the other statistically rarer than the other Rare chars? That was a very good night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't have charge - I'm a Sentinel.

Unless you mean the heavy melee, which does knock them away - but if the hit is enough to kill them they die in mid-air, close enough for you to take damage. But slapping them away when they're too healthy to die is a great tactic, as you can turn them into living grenades with a quick shot.
    Yes, Krogan Charge is the name of their heavy attack. An you're right, only the batarian gets enough distance. I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    After a Silver match, I find the Volus Adept to be a curious character. Stasis is, as always, good. The Biotic Orbs do very little damage, so I kept them on most of the time to be able to spam the other two powers. They do detonate biotic explosions, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Now, the Shield Boost is quite the power. Without it, the Volus crumple like tissue paper, but at level 6 with the damage reduction upgrade, it not only saved my skin but let me soak up Banshees' blasts and Ravagers' shots.
    ... What.

3 orbs, 15% cooldown bonus, cumulative 15% greater damage to target struck. Gold. Fire three orbs at a brute, and not only is it half dead, it's also able to drop Tom a single predator X clip.

Personally, I never used stasis. I had points in it but it was terrible compared to healing or damage-debuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    The Phoenix Vanguard remains the only Vanguard that can both set up and detonate biotic explosions. Not as easy to do as when Smash had a sub-2 second cooldown, but with some shield boosting gear and consumables Smash into Charge is still very possible.
    Human vanguard can both set up and detonate biotic explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    I detest Phase Disruptor, so I don't really count that as a point in the Slayer's favour.
    It's not that bad. Several wide area shots that decimate your choice of barriers or armor, nothing to sneeze at. Especially if you can coax phantoms into those small rooms. By te time you're done with the biotic slash animation you're already dropping more wide area phase disruptions on them.

Just don't get shot by That Marauder.

I'll admit that Biotic Slash is an excellent skill that hits hard, but given that its wind-up time is even longer than Smash's, if you have to do it out in the open, you're in trouble. Also, the fact that you can't melee or roll-cancel out of Biotic Slash is a drawback. Don't get me wrong, I love playing my Slayer, but I think it's about on-par with the Phoenix.

I forgot about the Asari Vanguard's Stasis into Charge detonation, because I haven't specced her with Stasis for a long time (nor do I particularly miss it, due to the long cooldown time on Stasis making for very inefficient biotic explosions), but I contest the Drell Vanguard's self-detonation capability.

Yes, Pull into Charge or Cluster Grenades works, but on higher difficulties the number of enemies you are capable of Pulling lowers so rapidly that it's not really worth it in my opinion.
    That's not true. There is always something with a health bar, and it is mechanically more damaging to pull a health bar enemy into a heavy and detonate than just spam grenades. Just because te first part of the combo isn't "prime" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Especially with area pull - it inflicts about a bar of damage or so to a marauder's shields when fired off, and ccasionally staggers them.

It's fine not to like PD, but that doesn't make it any weaker. I personally hate using flame turrets (I like my turrets to be next to me) but I can't deny their damage output on armor either.

Regarding BS, I find the long windup matters less when you can do it from that much further away, behind multiple walls.

Regarding the Asari Van, if I may say so, you're doing it wrong - remember the Stasis only breaks when you take out their shield/barrier. So SOP is to freeze them with bubble, pump them full of bullets (preferably from your Harrier or Hurricane) until they have a single bar of shield left, then charge to finish the job. Mastering this technique lets you solo multiple Phantoms with ease, since they tend to run single-file into it. Even if they don't die from the explosion, they stay ragdolled on the ground, easy prey for execution shots.

Drell I'll give you, but it's not that hard to spray some bullets to lower a shield, pull that target and charge in to explode all over the still-shielded ones either. Or toss grenades followed by area pull.
    Are you certain that's how Stasis works? It's set to release them after a certain amount of damage, not when their barrier breaks. There is an evolution to increase this threshold, and I just finish some matche wherein the VOLUS would stasis and phantoms fell out before their shields broke. They fell out when their shields broke too, but that's because the headshots exceeded the threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    The Battlefield 3 Soldier class? That's impossible. You can only get it if you own Battlefield 3. Plus, it stinks. Replace concussion shot with carnage, and you lose the whole point of the human soldier: lock down and keep the pressure on.
    no he is correct. The battlefield 3 soldier kit with the burnt orange side is no longer exclusive, and neither is the M55 Argus or the AT12 Raider. They were released seqwntially over the four week period leading up to the newest DLC. I got both the argus and the battlefield soldier kit within ten minutes of their release - in both cases, before they even showed the big placard at multiplayer startup. If you go back a couple pages and look through my posts you'll see where I said I got it. I figured it was because someone hacke my email prior, and used it on their box.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Just unlocked both Volus in the same PSP. Spherius and Orbius are go. Recon Mine seems pretty damn devastating.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    3 orbs, 15% cooldown bonus, cumulative 15% greater damage to target struck. Gold. Fire three orbs at a brute, and not only is it half dead, it's also able to drop Tom a single predator X clip.
    Huh. Well, I suppose you have to spec them towards damage. Perhaps I'll try that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well after suffering enough from lack of decent randoms I updated - then the gods of RNG struck - volus engineer - on a veteran pack

let the good times..... roll ?

o and pls feel ree add me (Im on gmt +2 timezone btw)

my ID is muddpitmissfit

have quite a few unlocks but my silver and up are in engineers and krogan soldier ( fire explosion all the things! )

6. - Top - End - #546
    Spamalot in the Playground

Are you certain that's how Stasis works?
    Yes - they describe this behavior right on the wiki:

"Only damage to the health of enemies is considered "damage done" to enemies in Stasis. To prevent unintentional releases of enemies in Stasis, do not inflict any health damage to them as the damage threshold is extremely low. "

It will hold a Phantom - or multiple Phantoms (/Marauders/Centurions/Collector Captains/Hunters etc.) - until barriers/shields have been removed. Getting trapped enemies to one bar of protection before a detonate is the most effective use of the power.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

"Only damage to the health of enemies is considered "damage done" to enemies in Stasis. To prevent unintentional releases of enemies in Stasis, do not inflict any health damage to them as the damage threshold is extremely low. "

It will hold a Phantom - or multiple Phantoms (/Marauders/Centurions/Collector Captains/Hunters etc.) - until barriers/shields have been removed. Getting trapped enemies to one bar of protection before a detonate is the most effective use of the power.
    If you specced for damage intake you could probably break the shields.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    If you specced for damage intake you could probably break the shields.
    You can, it's just that the threshold is so low (a bar or two into health) that it barely makes any difference. Leaving a bar of shield is just a safety measure to make sure nothing gets out before you can detonate/ragdoll/execute.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Balance changes are out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 16, 2012
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krogan Shaman Adept kit now available as a new Rare card

The hazard maps available this week are Firebase Giant and Firebase Ghost

Medals
    - Bronze Melee medal now requires 10 kills instead of 5
    - Silver Melee medal now requires 25 kills instead of 10
    - Gold Melee medal now requires 50 kills instead of 15

Challenges
    - Added a Krogan Shaman challenge to Bloodpack Mastery
    - Fixed an issue where extracting with the new Retaliation kits was not registering certain challenges
    - Challenges that required extraction weren't properly crediting the case where exactly 3 out of 4 players extracted
    - The changes below were put in place to fix a bug where some players could no longer progress after unlocking a Gold challenge:
    - Combat Mastery goal changed from 9 to 12
    - Cerberus Mastery goal changed from 17 to 21
    - Reaper Mastery goal changed from 15 to 18
    - Geth Mastery goal changed from 12 to 18
    - Collector Mastery goal changed from 12 to 15

Acolyte Pistol
    - Removing charge mechanic - now fires instantly
    - Rate of fire is now 40, with a minimum fire time of 1 second
    - The overall DPS should be similar, but this fixes an infinite Missile Launcher exploit

Krysae Sniper Rifle
    - Can no longer hold the fire button to zoom in the scope - now fires instantly
    - This fixes an infinite Missile Launcher exploit

Widow Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [867-1083.8] to [997-1246.3]

Krysae Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [429-548] to [493.4-616.8]

Kishock Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [774.5-968.1] to [890.7-1113.4]
    - Percentage of total damage that is done as bleed damage increased from 33% to 40%
    - Bleed damage duration reduced from 10 to 5 seconds (the same damage is spread over a shorter duration)

Black Widow Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [591.2-739] to [739.0-923.8]

Javelin Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [1030.5-1288.1] to [1236.6-1545.8]
    Well, looks like I'll be trying to unlock the Krogan Shaman Adept tomorrow.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Acolyte Pistol now fires instantly? I may need to give that another shot now, since my biggest issue with it was the charge-up time. (Though that may not make me like it, since I also don't like the grenade-esque arc the shot fires in.)

And I'm quite pleased to see the Krogan Shaman is the next released class. Looking forward to that one.

Maybe after I finish my current XCOM run, I'll actually get back into this. Must admit, that game proved to be much shorter than I expected.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Sad that they took away the Krysae's zoom effect fluff wise, but I see why it was necessary. I'm ecstatic about the sniper damage buffs though.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552

Widow got buffed! Yay! (Hugs his Widow X)

And instant-fire Acolyte with same DPS is rockin'. My Krogan Van/N7 Shadow are going to love that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #553
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

By all accounts the Krodept is functional, if boring. It is simply a reskinned Kroguard with barrier, warp and shockwave. Nothing new to bring.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    By all accounts the Krodept is functional, if boring. It is simply a reskinned Kroguard with barrier, warp and shockwave. Nothing new to bring.
    Works for me. While I'm slightly disappointed that Shockwave is one of his powers, that power set still lets him combo warp/shockwave, so he'll do okay. And he'll be the first Adept with more than Human durability - and between Krogan health and Barrier, he'll be one of the most durable characters in the game to boot, so quite the contrast to other Adepts there.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Funny that it has Shockwave, though. You'd think a Krogan would tend towards something a bit more utilitarian, like Throw. Shockwave doesn't have much use (beyond the aforementioned biotic explosions) except against Husks, and with a low enough cooldown, Throw does that too.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Funny that it has Shockwave, though. You'd think a Krogan would tend towards something a bit more utilitarian, like Throw. Shockwave doesn't have much use (beyond the aforementioned biotic explosions) except against Husks, and with a low enough cooldown, Throw does that too.
    I think it makes perfect sense for the Krogan straightforward mentality when it comes to things like war.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I think it makes perfect sense for the Krogan straightforward mentality when it comes to things like war.
    That makes sense. Krogan also like big things when it comes to combat, and Shockwave is a much "bigger" effect than Throw.

In other news, I tried out Firebase Hazard Giant. The "Hazard"? It's nighttime. I'm not sure I can take this increase in difficulty. At least this gives me a quick-n-dirty inroad into the "Hazard Extractions" challenge.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Banned

This directly contradicts tests I've done where, within the hold duration, plunking a stick nemesis, phantom and hunter resulted in them dislodging before shields even broke. I'd say remember wikis are publicly editable and point to the "acid rain" misconception: fire base ghost hazard is raining. It's not avid rain because it doesn't mess with your health. It's regular rain falling hard enough that your barriers register it as low grade machine pistol fire. The obvious answer is right there in the setting lore, and people are still talking about acid rain.

However, I didnt chronicle my work on stasis, so it doesn't hold any merit. I'll test it. Best to give the consensus credit when I don't actually have any backing of my own.

This is factually incorrect. Shockwave is stronger than the flamethrower on a sentry turret. It's not a bad power. Do the math and see.
    It sets up explosions, it sets off explosions, it goes through walls, it hits multiple enemies, it has a huge range when you set it for such, it has a high probability to stagger. The best spec'd throw cannot compete on all the levels that shockwave does. It cando a few of them better at a time, but shockwave is the most utilitarian - ESPECIALLY with its 65% detonation evolution.

That makes sense. Krogan also like big things when it comes to combat, and Shockwave is a much "bigger" effect than Throw.

In other news, I tried out Firebase Hazard Giant. The "Hazard"? It's nighttime. I'm not sure I can take this increase in difficulty. At least this gives me a quick-n-dirty inroad into the "Hazard Extractions" challenge.
    the hazard is actually the giant gunfire. The shaking throws off aim and the 'lightning' flashes block out even enhanced senses - a geth with hunter mode and a javelin will still lose sight of a target in the crosshairs during the flash. Which was a pain in the cutie mark, believe me.

Got the Krogan adept. Official verdict is it sucks, but I didn't give him a fair shake. His barrier power seems to have a higher damage output than the battlemaster, with both the second and third levels boosting force and damage, and the first evolution doing so as well. I tried using it offensively though and... No. Not very good.

Rage without biotic charge is less fun, too. Shockwave is nice, but the handling of a Krogan makes him somewhat of a liability. Plus warp and ahockwave are bland. He would be good as an in your face detonator, or as a tank with some armor weakening capacity and a surprise martyr mine. Trying to hit all the bases though, like you can with every other Krogan, leaves you pretty mediocre.

Additionally, all the new kits have atrociously low weight capacities. The shaman with no points in Krogan rage or whatever, has a +190% when holding the disciple. The Turian ghost starts out at +195% with an avenger. I even had a class unable to Mac out power recharge while holding a shuriken of all things. Nicely done balance tool, keeps the power creep down, but dang that sucks.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

the hazard is actually the giant gunfire. The shaking throws off aim and the 'lightning' flashes block out even enhanced senses - a geth with hunter mode and a javelin will still lose sight of a target in the crosshairs during the flash. Which was a pain in the cutie mark, believe me.
    I did try it with a Destroyer and Typhoon (1, BTW), which may account for the relative ease I had. Maybe with something a bit more power-based (say, my lv. 20 Shadow) it'll be a bit harder. In other news, I realized that Geth Bombers are an anti-entrenchment weapon and should be treated as such.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-17 at 04:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Is anyone else having their achievement point totals add up strangely? I had 205 points this morning, and I just finished a game in which I got Dark Channel use (20) and Phantom points 1 (10 points). Now I have 225 points. Huh?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Is anyone else having their achievement point totals add up strangely? I had 205 points this morning, and I just finished a game in which I got Dark Channel use (20) and Phantom points 1 (10 points). Now I have 225 points. Huh?
    I'll have to check; I just look at the achievements as a means to those decals you get for the gold challenges.

EDIT: My total appears to be fine; cross-check your listed total with the challenges you've beaten.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-17 at 05:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

I did try it with a Destroyer and Typhoon (1, BTW), which may account for the relative ease I had. Maybe with something a bit more power-based (say, my lv. 20 Shadow) it'll be a bit harder. In other news, I realized that Geth Bombers are an anti-entrenchment weapon and should be treated as such.
    You misunderstand; it causes problems for snipers. If you're just spewing hot lead in their general direction you're fine. Although some hunters can get the drop on you if they move during a triple fire burst... Bastards.

The geth drones and the Dragoons both. They move incredibly fast, die like punks if you can pin them down, and have area-punishing attacks that make you roll you eyes because how did you not see that coming?! And distance attacks sufficient to prevent feeling like you know what's going on.

The drones have a very low health amount. They also slow if shot repeatedly; prime method of dealing with a drone is to hit them with a priming power, shoot their shields away and then detonate. Even on gold, a sufficient fire or biotic explosion will kill them if they have as much as 20% shields remaining.

Dragoons have a tendency to move subtly. They are at their most annoying with my Ghost, because 1 headshot will put them down and I continually swear I'm grazing their helmets. Annihilation field destroys them, when spec'd for damage. Shokwave, snap freeze and the slash powers rip them up. Honestly, the worst thing to use on them is a rapid fire weapon, as their armor reduces the damage to negligible amounts even for such guns as the harrier, which sees a 50%-30% reduction. Saber, claymore, paladin (the gun) all make mincemeat of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    is it possible that you instead got one of the halfway point markers instead of the full? They did say they had to do some bug fixes involving totals not working properly.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

This directly contradicts tests I've done where, within the hold duration, plunking a stick nemesis, phantom and hunter resulted in them dislodging before shields even broke. I'd say remember wikis are publicly editable and point to the "acid rain" misconception: fire base ghost hazard is raining. It's not avid rain because it doesn't mess with your health. It's regular rain falling hard enough that your barriers register it as low grade machine pistol fire. The obvious answer is right there in the setting lore, and people are still talking about acid rain.
    I assume that prevents your shields from recharging if you're outside. Is it the same for the enemy or do they have magically better shields?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Warp + Shockwave is currently the strongest biotic combo in the game (+115% damage/radius.) In addition, Shockwave is hard to dodge and can detonate multiple setups. However, the weakness of this tactic is Shockwave's low reach, which Krogan durability can help you overcome.

One problem is that to be able to combo (at least, by yourself), unless you neglect your passive, you have to choose between Barrier or Fitness, as you won't have enough points for all 5. If you want maximum durability, you'll have to drop your passive, which means light weapons. (To be fair though, your passive doesn't affect combo damage anyway, but it does affect the force of the individual powers.) Barrier also unfortunately slows down your comboing, and both warp and shockwave are slow enough as it is. You'll do more damage per combo than a Fury, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's able to put out twice as many combos as you in a given time frame.

I'd say remember wikis are publicly editable....
    For the love of... Yes, they are, but wiki technology also makes vandalism/inaccuracies pretty easy to detect and reverse. It's disingenuous of you to source the wiki for other things and then claim it's unreliable for this. Besides, it's moot - the wiki wasn't my source for this tactic, playing the game was. I simply lucked out in finding a blurb that described what I was talking about.

It's not avid rain because it doesn't mess with your health. It's regular rain falling hard enough that your barriers register it as low grade machine pistol fire.
    Your own lore is suspect here - the fact that it doesn't damage health doesn't mean it's ordinary rain. In ME2, Haestrom's sun was hot enough to flash fry insects, yet once it took your shields down you could hang out in it and get a tan for as long as you wanted. It's just a gameplay convenience that these hazards leave "red health" alone.

This is factually incorrect. Shockwave is stronger than the flamethrower on a sentry turret. It's not a bad power. Do the math and see.
    It sets up explosions, it sets off explosions, it goes through walls, it hits multiple enemies, it has a huge range when you set it for such, it has a high probability to stagger. The best spec'd throw cannot compete on all the levels that shockwave does. It cando a few of them better at a time, but shockwave is the most utilitarian - ESPECIALLY with its 65% detonation evolution.
    As above, I agree completely that Shockwave is a great power. Just remember that taking the combo evolution means shortening the range, so Krogan levels of durability will be very handy for getting and staying close enough to use it.

To add to this, the guns also fire more often than in the daytime. Though I will point out that sniping with my Widow (N7 Demolisher) from ground level was largely unaffected by the shaking. (I tend to "set up shop" off to the side of the ramp leading to the control room.) I agree that as a "hazard" it's pretty weaksauce.

The darkness is awesome though. Definitely creepy when you see multiple Phantoms sneaking around your flank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I assume that prevents your shields from recharging if you're outside. Is it the same for the enemy or do they have magically better shields?
    I'm actually not sure. I could have sworn I saw a Marauder's shields dropping last night with nothing shooting him. I'll test it some more tonight.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-10-17 at 09:00 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #565
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Yes, actually. It almost made fighting banshees and collectors worth it. Platinum is hard. XD

Warp + Shockwave is currently the strongest biotic combo in the game (+115% damage/radius.) In addition, Shockwave is hard to dodge and can detonate multiple setups. However, the weakness of this tactic is Shockwave's low reach, which Krogan durability can help you overcome.
    Pull and shockwave are slightly better together, though most of the time the damage from
    Shockwave and warp would trump the difference. Especially with expose.

For the love of... Yes, they are, but wiki technology also makes vandalism/inaccuracies pretty easy to detect and reverse. It's disingenuous of you to source the wiki for other things and then claim it's unreliable for this. Besides, it's moot - the wiki wasn't my source for this tactic, playing the game was. I simply lucked out in finding a blurb that described what I was talking about.
    I have never once cited the wiki. Saying it is unreliable is not in the least bit disingenuous. As I said though, there may have been other factors involved in my own tests. But 'my anecdotal evidence is superior to your anecdotal evidence' is poor grounds for an argument (which you can kindly note is why I declined makin that argument, an said as much at the time).

Your own lore is suspect here - the fact that it doesn't damage health doesn't mean it's ordinary rain. In ME2, Haestrom's sun was hot enough to flash fry insects, yet once it took your shields down you could hang out in it and get a tan for as long as you wanted. It's just a gameplay convenience that these hazards leave "red health" alone.
    We've never seen radiation get through the suits, which are designed to remain space-viable. We have seen acid get through the suits. I remain convinced it's just rain, myself.

As above, I agree completely that Shockwave is a great power. Just remember that taking the combo evolution means shortening the range, so Krogan levels of durability will be very handy for getting and staying close enough to use it.
    Aye, though I almost always do. Since the range increase it's no longer painful not to. I always go width as well, however. I tried not using width and it was... Punishing.
    A viable alternate for fitness is barrier, with the power boost. Or both! Even for a Krogan, the shaman has a low starting weight limit. Best to bite the bullet, eat your losses, and pump up those powers so the +200% actually means something.

To add to this, the guns also fire more often than in the daytime. Though I will point out that sniping with my Widow (N7 Demolisher) from ground level was largely unaffected by the shaking. (I tend to "set up shop" off to the side of the ramp leading to the control room.) I agree that as a "hazard" it's pretty weaksauce.

The darkness is awesome though. Definitely creepy when you see multiple Phantoms sneaking around your flank.
    Mostly I just find the new hazard maps beautiful. It makes dying and going into spectator cam a treat.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-10-17 at 11:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566

Pull and shockwave are slightly better together, though most of the time the damage from
    Shockwave and warp would trump the difference. Especially with expose.
    True, I forgot Pull had such a large boost - but Warp/Shockwave can combo protected foes as well, so it's still the most damaging overall (where it matters anyway.)

I have never once cited the wiki. Saying it is unreliable is not in the least bit disingenuous. As I said though, there may have been other factors involved in my own tests. But 'my anecdotal evidence is superior to your anecdotal evidence' is poor grounds for an argument (which you can kindly note is why I declined makin that argument, an said as much at the time).
    Fine, but you're essentially calling me a liar with no grounds of your own. And even if you don't quote the wiki yourself, citing how unreliable it is when we both know the vast majority of its info is accurate is a senseless argument.

We've never seen radiation get through the suits, which are designed to remain space-viable.
    Nonsense, of course we have. The singleplayer mission in Firebase Reactor (N7: Fuel Reactors) is full of radiation leaks that instantly kibosh your shields, and will drop you if you stay in them. Shepard is forced to flush the facility in order to safely traverse the ground floor. This occurs even if you're wearing a sealed suit (e.g. Inferno or Cerberus) or your N7 breather helmet.

As for space-viable suits, when have we ever seen one in space story-wise without shields?

We have seen acid get through the suits. I remain convinced it's just rain, myself.
    Pragia had much heavier rain (even storywise - Pragia is impossible to settle on a large scale because of the constant storms, whereas Bekenstein has a full settlement.) Yet Pragia's rain was harmless.

Aye, though I almost always do. Since the range increase it's no longer painful not to. I always go width as well, however. I tried not using width and it was... Punishing.
    A viable alternate for fitness is barrier, with the power boost. Or both! Even for a Krogan, the shaman has a low starting weight limit. Best to bite the bullet, eat your losses, and pump up those powers so the +200% actually means something.
    Yeah I'm thinking I'll go full durability, and dump passive to use something light like my Acolyte X.

Mostly I just find the new hazard maps beautiful. It makes dying and going into spectator cam a treat.
    I wish the cam was free-flight. Particularly if we wipe after Wave 10 (success!) I'd love to just go gawp at the skyboxes and stuff while the last guy is feverishly running from two banshees, three ravagers and a dozen marauders.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-10-17 at 12:45 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #567
    Banned

Fine, but you're essentially calling me a liar with no grounds of your own. And even if you don't quote the wiki yourself, citing how unreliable it is when we both know the vast majority of its info is accurate is a senseless argument.
    I'm not. I said that is inconsistent with my experience, but I'll check again. I then listed my reasons for completion's sake. You said 'the wiki confirms it' your very self. When I said the wiki is unreliable, you recanted your wiki confirmation and are now asserting I'm calling you a liar.

I've also found gads of incorrect and misleading information on line, usually associated with the wiki which I didn't frequent for that very reason (which you can find last thread, where I asked how people found a useful wiki when the only one I had was inconsistent). It's just like with every other thing where I've been told something is bugged or works a certain way. I go off memory and then immediately to test it. Skepticism is not an assault on you, even if I'm skeptical of you.

Also, I'm probably being a sick. I would normally have apologize for the misunderstanding by now. I'm running on E and my mental voice is monotone.

Nonsense, of course we have. The singleplayer mission in Firebase Reactor (N7: Fuel Reactors) is full of radiation leaks that instantly kibosh your shields, and will drop you if you stay in them. Shepard is forced to flush the facility in order to safely traverse the ground floor. This occurs even if you're wearing a sealed suit (e.g. Inferno or Cerberus) or your N7 breather helmet.
    Hmm. I remember toxic waste in the floor, which would be acidic, and vapor, likewise. But it was a blur of biotic charging. I had to think for a minute to remember we even had a single player mission there. Ah well.

As for space-viable suits, when have we ever seen one in space story-wise without shields?
    That's a good point. My only thought is the mechanism behind a kinetic barrier would be unable to stop radiation by its nature, but the counter argument woul then be 'why does radiation damage holds then?', the answer to which is 'shields have hardened sometime between Me1 and Me2, although they left that information out' and we have to admit that it's more firmly a game construct and less simulationist than in mass effect 1.

Pragia had much heavier rain (even storywise - Pragia is impossible to settle on a large scale because of the constant storms, whereas Bekenstein has a full settlement.) Yet Pragia's rain was harmless.
    I do no remember rain on Pragia.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll go full durability, and dump passive to use something light like my Acolyte X.
    That was my thought. Acolyte for weight and barrier removal, warp for armor. Throw on a melee stunner and thermal clip capacity mod and I'm set.

I wish the cam was free-flight. Particularly if we wipe after Wave 10 (success!) I'd love to just go gawp at the skyboxes and stuff while the last guy is feverishly running from two banshees, three ravagers and a dozen marauders.
    I've found the most fun is had when shouting at that one guy, and he can hear you. I frequently drop down to silver with certain friends because we end up laughing so hard that success evaporates.

Oh, and a thought on synchronization kills. Once a heavy sets it's sights on you and synchronizes, it will get you as soon as you are within range. It's not a matter of setting up an attack an aiming it so much as the enemy creates a lethal AoE which only targets one character. I get this from my old anecdote about charging a brute as a vanguard, only to be pulled out of the air halfway there by a banshee; and a new anecdote. A friend, Xanatos, was unaware than banshees can only synch kill when they have their warp aura. A banshee on the last sliver of health, shot down by his Turian ghost, and he cloaks, uses a stimpack, charges his heavy melee ... And gets pulled out of the air. He basically jumped into her arms and died.

He was most unhappy.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-10-17 at 02:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I do. It's blink-and-you'll miss it, since you're indoors for most of the mission, but it's there once you get off the shuttle. I don't think Bioware thought that the VI would protect against the rain as surely as against bullets. At least until it became convenient for a Hazard map.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-17 at 02:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569

I'm not. I said that is inconsistent with my experience, but I'll check again. I then listed my reasons for completion's sake. You said 'the wiki confirms it' your very self. When I said the wiki is unreliable, you recanted your wiki confirmation and are now asserting I'm calling you a liar.
    I made no such recantation; the wiki is still a reliable source for me and I'll continue to cite it. But feel free to test this phenomenon yourself if you like; I remain positive that's how it works.

Hmm. I remember toxic waste in the floor, which would be acidic, and vapor, likewise. But it was a blur of biotic charging. I had to think for a minute to remember we even had a single player mission there. Ah well.
    "Confirming: toxic radiation cutting access to most of the grid. Survival in hotspots not possible."

That's the asari at the top of the stairs leading up to the extraction area. Walking down those same stairs drops your shields before you reach the ground floor, and prompts radio chatter from Cortez: "Radiation proximity warning, Commander. Avoid at all costs."

I'd link you to the video but YT is blocked here. Regardless, the point is that hardsuits don't block radiation. It's a gameplay convention.

For someone whose memory is this spotty, you should probably be more trusting of what other people say

(Rain is the very first thing you see when you land on Pragia.)

Oh, and a thought on synchronization kills. Once a heavy sets it's sights on you and synchronizes, it will get you as soon as you are within range. It's not a matter of setting up an attack an aiming it so much as the enemy creates a lethal AoE which only targets one character. I get this from my old anecdote about charging a brute as a vanguard, only to be pulled out of the air halfway there by a banshee; and a new anecdote. A friend, Xanatos, was unaware than banshees can only synch kill when they have their warp aura. A banshee on the last sliver of health, shot down by his Turian ghost, and he cloaks, uses a stimpack, charges his heavy melee ... And gets pulled out of the air. He basically jumped into her arms and died.

He was most unhappy.
    Funny you mention that. I used the rain to my advantage on a Gold mission last night. Wave 9, myself and one teammate left alive, and two banshees were warping at me in the left-most building (near the ammo box and landing zone.) Rain pounding outside, and I heard a Ravager firing outside behind me at my teammate, who was in the small shed across the map and thus unable to get to me to help. I had one rocket left (we bungled wave 6 badly) which I obviously wanted to save for an emergency in wave 10, but I knew if I didn't use it I'd get synched by the "lovely" ladies bearing down on my position.

My Krogan can normally putz around in the rain for quite awhile (so I typically do the "carry" missions) but with sustained fire in the rain I can get dropped pretty easily. So I ran out and meleed the ravager to get its attention, then intentionally backed off so it would zap me. It did so. the last shot hitting me just as the banshees arrived. I got lifted up - but I was already "dying" - and getting impaled didn't change that. The banshees, satisfied I was down for the count, began warping towards my teammate... out in the open where his rocket could eradicate them. But doing so led to him getting taken down by Marauders that were hiding around his building.

Having successfully faked out the Banshees, I popped a medigel, leaped to my feat, and sprinted across the yard to revive him before his execution. Then the two of us mopped up the Marauders, took out the Ravager, and made it to wave 10. A few minutes later, we had full-extracted, our pockets heavy with credits. (My rocket ended up coming in handy for extraction rather than wave 10.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-10-17 at 04:19 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

In regards to the rain, I thought that the way shields are suppose to work was that the suit's VI detected projectiles coming in at a certain speed, and deployed shields to block them. One of the reasons that rapid firing weapons are suppose to be so effective against shields is that they overload the VI and drain the shield's power. I figured that the VI thinks that raindrops are bullets and tries to stop them, slowly draining your shield's power. That, or the water is short-circuiting the suit's systems. In which case the Alliance should issue Super Soakers to it's troops for use against Geth.

Also, Hazard Giant may not be much of a hazard, but darned if it isn't cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.