Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 600 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    In regards to the rain, I thought that the way shields are suppose to work was that the suit's VI detected projectiles coming in at a certain speed, and deployed shields to block them. One of the reasons that rapid firing weapons are suppose to be so effective against shields is that they overload the VI and drain the shield's power. I figured that the VI thinks that raindrops are bullets and tries to stop them, slowly draining your shield's power. That, or the water is short-circuiting the suit's systems. In which case the Alliance should issue Super Soakers to it's troops for use against Geth.
    The problem is that your shields didn't react to the rain on Pragia, as they do on Benning. It's probably divergent evolution between what are essentially jacked-up civilian kinetic barriers that the MP chars use, and Spectre-grade, Cerberus-upgraded shields that Shep used in ME2. However, that doesn't explain why the N7 chars react to it.

    Also, Hazard Giant may not be much of a hazard, but darned if it isn't cool.[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    If the shields really worked that way with ordinary rain, the Sandstorm in Dagger should be hurting your shields too, what with the multitudinous whirling grains of sand and all.

    If ordinary water could short out your shields, multiple sequences wouldn't work, e.g. Pragia and Noveria.
    Alphonse Elric by Fay Graydon
    Extended Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

    Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.

  3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If the shields really worked that way with ordinary rain, the Sandstorm in Dagger should be hurting your shields too, what with the multitudinous whirling grains of sand and all.

    If ordinary water could short out your shields, multiple sequences wouldn't work, e.g. Pragia and Noveria.
    That's a good point. Maybe the grains are too fine to count as bullets? I'm grasping at straws here. And I think we can agree that armor circuitry is fully insulated from the elements (or at least from water damage), with the possible (but unlikely) exception of external Omni-tools.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-17 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That's a good point. Maybe the grains are too fine to count as bullets? I'm grasping at straws here. And I think we can agree that armor circuitry is fully insulated from the elements (or at least from water damage), with the possible (but unlikely) exception of external Omni-tools.
    Normal mass effect guns use sand like shards propelled at insane speed.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Normal mass effect guns use sand like shards propelled at insane speed.
    That's what I thought. Maybe the sandstorm doesn't propel the sand fast enough to count as bullets? No, if that were the case then the shields wouldn't react to the rain. The multiplayer is of partial canonicity anyway and inconvenient rules should be ignored if necessary? Sure, why not?

    EDIT: The wiki says Firebase Ghost Hazard is set during an "acid rain" storm, and that works better than anything else, so why not?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-17 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Rule of thumb: If it's slower than a charging Mako, I garuntee you your shields won't block it.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Any word on the next N7 weekend event thing? I'd love another chance at a Valiant which I'm fairly certain I'm not going to get. In other news I maxed my Vindicator, which means it's not going to get in the way once I start binging on PS Packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Hm. Am I misremembering or were Cryo Explosions supposed to trigger without the power having to kill the target? I played the Quarian Engineer today and they seemed to work like they always have.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  9. - Top - End - #579
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Edge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Any word on the next N7 weekend event thing? I'd love another chance at a Valiant which I'm fairly certain I'm not going to get. In other news I maxed my Vindicator, which means it's not going to get in the way once I start binging on PS Packs.
    The weekend events will now appear in the Challenge Menus each weekend, under the general category, but they shall only be squad/personal goals. Occasionally we'll get a big weekend operation like we're used to, which will have an announcement. So say the BioWare devs.

  10. - Top - End - #580

  11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hm. Am I misremembering or were Cryo Explosions supposed to trigger without the power having to kill the target? I played the Quarian Engineer today and they seemed to work like they always have.
    You don't have to kill to trigger any tech burst anymore, though sometimes I notice it takes more than one hit for a cryo explosion to go off. On my Sentinel, sometimes I have to fire two Energy Drains, and sometimes it works with just one. Most times I don't notice though since I'm constantly alternating against larger targets.
    Alphonse Elric by Fay Graydon
    Extended Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

    Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.

  12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Why is this krogan-only? Why, why, why? And why does it require a gold melee medal (which the players in the thread say equals 50 kills with melee)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Why is this krogan-only? Why, why, why? And why does it require a gold melee medal (which the players in the thread say equals 50 kills with melee)?
    50? Did they change it? That used to be 15 melee kills.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    50? Did they change it? That used to be 15 melee kills.

    Zevox
    They did indeed. Shouldn't be too hard with the right rage build.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    They did indeed. Shouldn't be too hard with the right rage build.
    I don't know. That'd require getting a sizable majority of your kills from melee, at least in silver games.

    Honestly, I think increasing that to 50 was too much. I could see upping it, as any melee-focused build got the 15 very easily, but I'd rather see something like 30, not 50.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Honestly, I think increasing that to 50 was too much. I could see upping it, as any melee-focused build got the 15 very easily, but I'd rather see something like 30, not 50.

    Zevox
    This. Especially since now, you literally can't do this challenge with more than 3 krogan on a team, and 3 is pushing it. There's literally not enough units to smack around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I do. It's blink-and-you'll miss it, since you're indoors for most of the mission, but it's there once you get off the shuttle. I don't think Bioware thought that the VI would protect against the rain as surely as against bullets. At least until it became convenient for a Hazard map.
    Indeed. The rain was visibly different, but ah well.

    My initial thought wa to check the planet fire base ghost is on. Particulates in the atmosphere alon with gravity could affect it. There's light rain, and rain you woul swear was hail, and that's just here on earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I made no such recantation; the wiki is still a reliable source for me and I'll continue to cite it. But feel free to test this phenomenon yourself if you like; I remain positive that's how it works.
    You did make such a recantation. I said are you sure. You said Wiki says yes. I said wiki is unrelaible. You said 'I'm not going off the wiki'. I'm not arguing ad hominim, just pointing out that sequence of events occurred; wether or not you this happened is not germane to the discussion. I am just almost mental about these details.


    "Confirming: toxic radiation cutting access to most of the grid. Survival in hotspots not possible."

    That's the asari at the top of the stairs leading up to the extraction area. Walking down those same stairs drops your shields before you reach the ground floor, and prompts radio chatter from Cortez: "Radiation proximity warning, Commander. Avoid at all costs."

    I'd link you to the video but YT is blocked here. Regardless, the point is that hardsuits don't block radiation. It's a gameplay convention.
    Yeah, I never had those occur to much. I recall her saying radiation leak, but I also recall visible gasses. And seriously, vanguard. If I ever ha no barrier or low barrier for more than 2 seconds I was dead and restarting the mission.

    For someone whose memory is this spotty, you should probably be more trusting of what other people say

    (Rain is the very first thing you see when you land on Pragia.)
    Mnemonic triggers. 'Pragia' registered as a world in the MEuniverse. It clicked when I finally remembered that was Jack's loyalty mission.

    Also, I played ME2 when it came out, beat it and them someone stole my game. I haven't replayed it in years. I borrowed it from a friend and plan to hit it again when I finish ME1.

    Funny you mention that. I used the rain to my advantage on a Gold mission last night. Wave 9, myself and one teammate left alive, and two banshees were warping at me in the left-most building (near the ammo box and landing zone.) Rain pounding outside, and I heard a Ravager firing outside behind me at my teammate, who was in the small shed across the map and thus unable to get to me to help. I had one rocket left (we bungled wave 6 badly) which I obviously wanted to save for an emergency in wave 10, but I knew if I didn't use it I'd get synched by the "lovely" ladies bearing down on my position.

    My Krogan can normally putz around in the rain for quite awhile (so I typically do the "carry" missions) but with sustained fire in the rain I can get dropped pretty easily. So I ran out and meleed the ravager to get its attention, then intentionally backed off so it would zap me. It did so. the last shot hitting me just as the banshees arrived. I got lifted up - but I was already "dying" - and getting impaled didn't change that. The banshees, satisfied I was down for the count, began warping towards my teammate... out in the open where his rocket could eradicate them. But doing so led to him getting taken down by Marauders that were hiding around his building.

    Having successfully faked out the Banshees, I popped a medigel, leaped to my feat, and sprinted across the yard to revive him before his execution. Then the two of us mopped up the Marauders, took out the Ravager, and made it to wave 10. A few minutes later, we had full-extracted, our pockets heavy with credits. (My rocket ended up coming in handy for extraction rather than wave 10.)
    Good stuff.

    I have a story, but it's more bitter.
    4 friends get to extraction on platinum, each with 3 medigel and 4 rockets minimum. An then the his is dropped from XBL, everyone is kicked of with no XP and no credits, and that was when I stopped playing and went to work.

    Stupid bad connections. Why did EVERYONE have to drop? Why not just three man it with a new host?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    In regards to the rain, I thought that the way shields are suppose to work was that the suit's VI detected projectiles coming in at a certain speed, and deployed shields to block them. One of the reasons that rapid firing weapons are suppose to be so effective against shields is that they overload the VI and drain the shield's power. I figured that the VI thinks that raindrops are bullets and tries to stop them, slowly draining your shield's power. That, or the water is short-circuiting the suit's systems. In which case the Alliance should issue Super Soakers to it's troops for use against Geth.

    Also, Hazard Giant may not be much of a hazard, but darned if it isn't cool.
    Somewhere in ME2 is a line about how basic yield technology is changed, except they took it out of the codex. So there is a canon difference in how shields work,
    That we don't know about.

    Remember, original ME shields were USELESS against melee. Phantoms would have been a legitimate problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    The problem is that your shields didn't react to the rain on Pragia, as they do on Benning. It's probably divergent evolution between what are essentially jacked-up civilian kinetic barriers that the MP chars use, and Spectre-grade, Cerberus-upgraded shields that Shep used in ME2. However, that doesn't explain why the N7 chars react to it.

    Also, Hazard Giant may not be much of a hazard, but darned if it isn't cool.
    [/QUOTE]

    The hacked civilian shields theory doesn't pan out; the Turian armiger Legionaires, the Justicar and battlemaster, and the N7 operatives all have top of the line, nigh-spectre class equipment as their default. They would. Have fine, military grade emitters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If the shields really worked that way with ordinary rain, the Sandstorm in Dagger should be hurting your shields too, what with the multitudinous whirling grains of sand and all.

    If ordinary water could short out your shields, multiple sequences wouldn't work, e.g. Pragia and Noveria.
    The sandstorm doesn't seem that harsh to me, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    EDIT: The wiki says Firebase Ghost Hazard is set during an "acid rain" storm, and that works better than anything else, so why not?
    The wiki is what's in contention and cannot be used as evidence for how the wiki is correct. Of it sights a source saying Acid Rain elsewhere then we can evaluate its legitimacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Rule of thumb: If it's slower than a charging Mako, I garuntee you your shields won't block it.
    Not true, due to the change in shields. Many melee attacks are much slower than a charging mako.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hm. Am I misremembering or were Cryo Explosions supposed to trigger without the power having to kill the target? I played the Quarian Engineer today and they seemed to work like they always have.
    They are intermittent. It's also delayed, such that I've had bodies die of incinerate before the explosion triggers. It's also more subtle than the others. But yes, it is a problem.

    I've also had others, such as drill ammo failing - both by not penetrating objects or doing too well, and going through enemies leaving them unharmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    50? Did they change it? That used to be 15 melee kills.

    Zevox
    Yes, S part of the balance changes listed two pages ago. It's necessary too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I don't know. That'd require getting a sizable majority of your kills from melee, at least in silver games.

    Honestly, I think increasing that to 50 was too much. I could see upping it, as any melee-focused build got the 15 very easily, but I'd rather see something like 30, not 50.

    Zevox
    that not a problem; as high up as gold, a Krogan can get most of their kills from melee. Remember shooing the guy down to a hair is acceptable. And a Krogan in the zone is an unstoppable beast, able to chain stagger an atlas. Silver is where melee Krogan cut their teeth.
    "No malice. No remorse."

  18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    I just had a revelation: Is the Mass Effect related to the Higgs Boson?

    After all, isn't that the particle that is supposed to give atoms their mass? And havn't people been speculated that it could be used to manipulate gravity? That game was made two years before the LHC was finished and I think before anyone really knew what it was about. Those guy were ahead of their time.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

  19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    I just had a Silver match with a Krogan Sentinel. I managed to get 50 melee kills. I don't think it counts for the event, but I did it to see if I could. I also tried out the Striker rifle again. Amazingly, it turned out to be as useless as ever.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The rain was visibly different
    I don't know whether to lol or shake my head. Probably both.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    You did make such a recantation. I said are you sure. You said Wiki says yes. I said wiki is unrelaible. You said 'I'm not going off the wiki'.
    Your order of events is faulty as well. For the bolded portion, I said I was sure, THEN I linked the Wiki and said "even this agrees." The fact that I was sure had nothing to do with the wiki, it was just an additional/supplementary source. The primary source was still my own experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Yeah, I never had those occur to much. I recall her saying radiation leak, but I also recall visible gasses. And seriously, vanguard. If I ever ha no barrier or low barrier for more than 2 seconds I was dead and restarting the mission.
    The monsters don't show up until after you clean the radiation, so your class is irrelevant. Who were you charging, the NPCs? Your squadmates?

    If you don't know/remember anything about the mission, why are you arguing as if you do? Just to be contentious?

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Mnemonic triggers. 'Pragia' registered as a world in the MEuniverse. It clicked when I finally remembered that was Jack's loyalty mission.

    Also, I played ME2 when it came out, beat it and them someone stole my game. I haven't replayed it in years. I borrowed it from a friend and plan to hit it again when I finish ME1.
    No offense, but I don't actually care why your memory is faulty, just that it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Somewhere in ME2 is a line about how basic yield technology is changed, except they took it out of the codex. So there is a canon difference in how shields work,
    That we don't know about.

    Remember, original ME shields were USELESS against melee. Phantoms would have been a legitimate problem.
    They changed between ME1 and 2, yes. But Pragia took place after that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Stupid bad connections. Why did EVERYONE have to drop? Why not just three man it with a new host?
    Sometimes when that message comes up with the big red "B" I hit it reflexively. It may not have been intentional on their part.
    Alphonse Elric by Fay Graydon
    Extended Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

    Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.

  21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Unlocked the Turian Ghost. Not sure how to level this guy yet...
    Also, is it just me or do the Volus have a very low resistance to stagger? It seems everything knocks them around.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Kid Kris. Sigatars by Gulaghar, Kid Kris, Zefir and billtodamax, respectively.

  22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Indeed. The rain was visibly different, but ah well.
    How so? I don't remember anything different about the rain between the two planets except that Benning was darker.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    My initial thought wa to check the planet fire base ghost is on. Particulates in the atmosphere alon with gravity could affect it. There's light rain, and rain you woul swear was hail, and that's just here on earth.
    Firebase Ghost is on Benning; the N7 mission Cerberus Abductions (IIRC) takes place on Firebase Ghost and you land on Benning to get to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Yeah, I never had those occur to much. I recall her saying radiation leak, but I also recall visible gasses. And seriously, vanguard. If I ever ha no barrier or low barrier for more than 2 seconds I was dead and restarting the mission.
    I also remember this. I'm fairly certain the "radiation leak" is designed as visible gases to make it obvious to the player that "lower level=death".

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The hacked civilian shields theory doesn't pan out; the Turian armiger Legionaires, the Justicar and battlemaster, and the N7 operatives all have top of the line, nigh-spectre class equipment as their default. They would. Have fine, military grade emitters.
    Figures. I did say I was grasping at straws.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The sandstorm doesn't seem that harsh to me, but...
    See previous sentence.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The wiki is what's in contention and cannot be used as evidence for how the wiki is correct. Of it sights a source saying Acid Rain elsewhere then we can evaluate its legitimacy.
    It doesn't cite anything when saying the rain is acid rain, but unless you have a better idea for why the rain acts that way...

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    that not a problem; as high up as gold, a Krogan can get most of their kills from melee. Remember shooing the guy down to a hair is acceptable. And a Krogan in the zone is an unstoppable beast, able to chain stagger an atlas. Silver is where melee Krogan cut their teeth.
    It's true. I specced up a Kroguard and tried Firebase Hydra on Silver; got the medal within 8 waves (IIRC) and got all the way to extraction. Where I died due to a stray Dragoon, 5 seconds from the shuttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Krade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Just did a solo Bronze with my Krogan Sentinel specced for melee damage. There are few other ways to make yourself feel like such an unstoppable god of destruction.

    I got the melee medal during the wave 6 objective. Got the Biotic gold medal from grenades alone, and also managed the gold Grab medal. I was a force of nature.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

    Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

    I am B.
    Are you B?

  24. - Top - End - #594
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Completed my first ever solo run - Krogan Sentinel on Tuchanka hazard map against Geth. He is specced for survivability and weapon/grenade damage over melee, but still roflstomped the robots. Lots of fun to be had. Racked up the gold melee early and then went grenade spam happy. Bodies flying everywhere.

  25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I just had a revelation: Is the Mass Effect related to the Higgs Boson?

    After all, isn't that the particle that is supposed to give atoms their mass? And havn't people been speculated that it could be used to manipulate gravity? That game was made two years before the LHC was finished and I think before anyone really knew what it was about. Those guy were ahead of their time.
    Possibly. Maybe it was wondering about these things that le to the idea of a Higgs Boson existing? Mass is a fun thing when you can separate it from weight. I know having strange properties regarding mass and inertia are my explanation for D&D's Adamantine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't know whether to lol or shake my head. Probably both.
    Neither. I went through ghost again, and the tenor of the rain changes as you go, so my response was moot. If it was always large, rifle-caliber sized drops I'd have a point. But it's not.

    Your order of events is faulty as well. For the bolded portion, I said I was sure, THEN I linked the Wiki and said "even this agrees." The fact that I was sure had nothing to do with the wiki, it was just an additional/supplementary source. The primary source was still my own experience.
    I'm sure you can understand how, while I am citing my own experiences, an you cite only the wiki at that point, one could infer you meant the wiki as your primary inspiration. How you meant it is one thing, but how you said it and how it is interpreted are all equally important.

    The monsters don't show up until after you clean the radiation, so your class is irrelevant. Who were you charging, the NPCs? Your squadmates?

    If you don't know/remember anything about the mission, why are you arguing as if you do? Just to be contentious?
    I'm not arguing. I said 'I don't remember this clearly at all' and explained why. The parts I do remember I will state. The parts I don't I'm not goin to bother with. I remember clouds of poison. Other people remember clouds of poison. So clouds of poison should be taken into account. I don't remember the order of operations, so I'm leavin that to you, so I can't really say anything on it.

    No offense, but I don't actually care why your memory is faulty, just that it is.
    Fair. I'd react the same way, if I had your resources. My computer is out of commission and my phone doesn't do looking up these things so well. I've come to accept that timely arguments require different avenues.

    They changed between ME1 and 2, yes. But Pragia took place after that.
    Yes. My point was we do not know how they changed. We do not know what mechanisms are different, or how they should react, or if it is all shields or merely some, or what. It's a hole in our data which means conclusions based on such must be faulty, or lucky.

    Sometimes when that message comes up with the big red "B" I hit it reflexively. It may not have been intentional on their part.
    No, we were in contact on that one. It did that thing where all the enemies kept going in a straight line, forever, and gave us a slow death. We all to a one lost connection to the server (no red button available).

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Firebase Ghost is on Benning; the N7 mission Cerberus Abductions (IIRC) takes place on Firebase Ghost and you land on Benning to get to it.
    What are the relevant atmospheric compositions and gravity of each planet? Though since ME1 they've stopped putting quite as much care into these things.

    Figures. I did say I was grasping at straws.
    Falls under game conventions. They may have just not taken the time to differentiate them. Which is why "for playability" is a bad antidote for story discrepancies.

    [quote]
    It doesn't cite anything when saying the rain is acid rain, but unless you have a better idea for why the rain acts that way...
    [quote]

    I do, but my better idea is also in contention.

    It's true. I specced up a Kroguard and tried Firebase Hydra on Silver; got the medal within 8 waves (IIRC) and got all the way to extraction. Where I died due to a stray Dragoon, 5 seconds from the shuttle.
    Damn those Dragoons. They're like sturdier phantoms. By the time you notice one, you're swamped and dying.

    I cannot wait to level my shotgun omni blade. At rank 1 it's got +30% damage, which means tank 5 will have +50%. Krogan sentinel blitzes through everything with one equipped. More survivable but less powerful than the soldier.

    My only sorrow is that melee grabs do not ad points to your melee damage total. Between that and playing with friends, my challenge acquisition has stalled in favor of actual successful tactics.
    "No malice. No remorse."

  26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Beowulf DW's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    12 seconds to your left
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Well. I just did a solo run on Dagger with my Krogan soldier. I got the medal for 75 melee kills. I didn't even know that was a thing! Anyway, the commendation pack showed up right away, which is a nice touch.
    Avatar by the incomparable Herpestidae.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

  27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    What are the relevant atmospheric compositions and gravity of each planet? Though since ME1 they've stopped putting quite as much care into these things.
    Benning: 1.14 g, Atmosphere breathable enough to serve as a fairly populous human colony (Firebase Ghost is very obviously a slum), but not as much detail on that.
    Pragia: 0.87 g, Atmosphere breathable enough for batarians, and presumably humans as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Falls under game conventions. They may have just not taken the time to differentiate them. Which is why "for playability" is a bad antidote for story discrepancies.
    You're telling me, I'm a Myst fan, I know all about gameplay shortcuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I do, but my better idea is also in contention.
    What was it again? It's kinda gotten lost in the shuffle.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Damn those Dragoons. They're like sturdier phantoms. By the time you notice one, you're swamped and dying.
    I know, right? Lack of insta-kill is only a small boon compared to "No guaranteed to die to Charge+ Krogan heavy melee"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    I'm stealing the phrase "mental slap" to use on occasion. That's just too awesome.
    Current cookie total: 14

  28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Having just played the Fuel Depots mission, I can confirm that it does involve toxic levels of radiation, depicted as clouds of greenish gas that you need to disperse.


    Anyway. I recently decided to play through the entire Mass Effect trilogy for the first time, and I came across - this evening - one of the few instances in which my enjoyment of media was enhanced by spoilers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I knew, going into the final mission on Rannoch, that there were three possible results: I could betray the Geth, leading Legion to turn on me; I could let the Quarians die, leading to Tali's death; or I could broker peace between them, and everything would be happy forever. As a pro-free-Geth, Tali-romancing Paragon Shepard, the last choice was obviously the best one.

    So I go kill a reaper, and brace myself to make some wicked peace, yo. Legion brings up the idea of using Reaper upgrades to make all Geth truly sentient, Tali objects because General Warmonger is charging the Geth fleet, and then I get the choice: upload the upgrades and doom the Quarian fleet, or backstab Legion and the entire Geth race. Wait, where's my third option?

    Where's the third option?

    If I hadn't thought that I held the lives of Legion and Tali in my hands with that one decision, I don't think I would have ended up staring at the screen in mute, wide-eyed horror. I certainly would have felt some of the gravity of the moment, but not with vivid, terrifying intensity - it wouldn't really have sunk in. Betray a fledgling, oft-betrayed AI race - not so different to EDI, a loyal companion - to save the life of Shepard's beloved, out of naked fear and selfishness. Or give them the chance to truly live, at the cost of the Quarians who trusted Shepard, who Shepard had been fighting for, Tali most of all. The cursor flicked back and forth between the two choices; again and again, I came to the brink of selecting one, only to back down, uncertain again.

    But what it boiled down to, in the end, is that there was a chance - however slim - that no one else had to die. Betraying the Geth was a hopeless choice, born from fear. ("I won't let fear compromise who I am.") I couldn't choose it. And if that meant losing Tali, then... so be it. Upload the upgrades.

    I was very gratified when it turned out that the next thing I could do was Paragonning the Quarian fleet to stand down. Less so when Legion's last words were keelah sel'ai. Ow, that hurt.

    I don't think I'm going to be forgetting that anytime soon. Right up there with the last rendition of Scientist Salarian and praying for Thane.
    -build that wall and build it strong-
    Kasanip - best artist; Rarity - best smile; Thanqol - good Question
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well. I just did a solo run on Dagger with my Krogan soldier. I got the medal for 75 melee kills. I didn't even know that was a thing! Anyway, the commendation pack showed up right away, which is a nice touch.
    75? Is it a platinum medal? O_O waaaant
    Are you sure it wasn't just 75 kills? I let myself get mulched after 50 for the gold medal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Benning: 1.14 g, Atmosphere breathable enough to serve as a fairly populous human colony (Firebase Ghost is very obviously a slum), but not as much detail on that.
    Pragia: 0.87 g, Atmosphere breathable enough for batarians, and presumably humans as well.
    Hm. A difference of .27 G, when heavy rain on 1G is sufficient to feel like being punched by pigeons, an increase of 14% might be sufficient to make my point, but yeah it's pretty hollow.

    What was it again? It's kinda gotten lost in the shuffle.
    The mechanism of shielding detects incoming projectiles of a certain energy (I think half mass by square of velocity) and directs a mass effect plane to increase the mass of that projectile, slowing it down (as the velocity is the same but the mass is too much for that energy to keep it going) and draining some of the reserve energy. Rapid fire weapons not only engage the mechanism in quick order, but require extra energy be expended because VI needs to emit shields all over the place - each suit comes with many, many emitters for efficient placement of small mass effect barriers only where needed.

    In theory, the rain at sufficiently high mass on a higher gravity planet would strike with just enough force to trigger the mechanism constantly. The changing of the shields for Me2 means that even such low-impact effects as melee strikes and thrown rocks would trigger the shield, so rain makes sense as a trigger. But that's supposition, because I don't know how the change to shields, this "hardening" works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Having just played the Fuel Depots mission, I can confirm that it does involve toxic levels of radiation, depicted as clouds of greenish gas that you need to disperse.


    Anyway. I recently decided to play through the entire Mass Effect trilogy for the first time, and I came across - this evening - one of the few instances in which my enjoyment of media was enhanced by spoilers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I knew, going into the final mission on Rannoch, that there were three possible results: I could betray the Geth, leading Legion to turn on me; I could let the Quarians die, leading to Tali's death; or I could broker peace between them, and everything would be happy forever. As a pro-free-Geth, Tali-romancing Paragon Shepard, the last choice was obviously the best one.

    So I go kill a reaper, and brace myself to make some wicked peace, yo. Legion brings up the idea of using Reaper upgrades to make all Geth truly sentient, Tali objects because General Warmonger is charging the Geth fleet, and then I get the choice: upload the upgrades and doom the Quarian fleet, or backstab Legion and the entire Geth race. Wait, where's my third option?

    Where's the third option?

    If I hadn't thought that I held the lives of Legion and Tali in my hands with that one decision, I don't think I would have ended up staring at the screen in mute, wide-eyed horror. I certainly would have felt some of the gravity of the moment, but not with vivid, terrifying intensity - it wouldn't really have sunk in. Betray a fledgling, oft-betrayed AI race - not so different to EDI, a loyal companion - to save the life of Shepard's beloved, out of naked fear and selfishness. Or give them the chance to truly live, at the cost of the Quarians who trusted Shepard, who Shepard had been fighting for, Tali most of all. The cursor flicked back and forth between the two choices; again and again, I came to the brink of selecting one, only to back down, uncertain again.

    But what it boiled down to, in the end, is that there was a chance - however slim - that no one else had to die. Betraying the Geth was a hopeless choice, born from fear. ("I won't let fear compromise who I am.") I couldn't choose it. And if that meant losing Tali, then... so be it. Upload the upgrades.

    I was very gratified when it turned out that the next thing I could do was Paragonning the Quarian fleet to stand down. Less so when Legion's last words were keelah sel'ai. Ow, that hurt.

    I don't think I'm going to be forgetting that anytime soon. Right up there with the last rendition of Scientist Salarian and praying for Thane.
    oh man, wow. Yeah. That was brutal, and only my inchoate rage at Han Geral made this easier for me.

    Even worse, my friend Xanatos. He had romanced Tali, but due to a quirk he lost Legion. The platform didn't make it through the suicide mission, and that weight carried with him since.

    And then, Rannoch. There's only two choices, the geth or Tali. And for the same reasons, Xanatos chose the geth. That's how morality works, you choose irrespective of your personal benefit. And then...

    Tali died. She walked off a cliff, and there was a paragon trigger that let Shepard dive to try and save her. She slips through his hands, And... Well, I know Xanatos personally, and I wanted to be there for the guy. I knew this would hit like a Mac truck. It almost broke him, he was dang-near in tears. And then... Moments later, on the way to the Cerberus satellite...


    Tali walks in to shepard's room, and promises after their night of romance, "I'll always be here for you, Shepard."
    He made it through the rest of the game on pure rage and Grief.
    "No malice. No remorse."

  30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Hey cool, I already have my commendation pack from doing the challenge this morning at 10!
    "No malice. No remorse."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •