Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 840 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dhavaer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Forget rare mods, I'd like to know how to get uncommons. I'm almost matched, with 25 levels of uncommon mods and 22 levels of rare. 12 uncommon mods unlocked vs. 13 rare mods.
    Normal spectre packs work best for me.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

    I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    I'm in love with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    ...I...I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

  2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    "Tricky" in the sense that it's ONLY the points from Biotic Charge that count, and 90% of the points I get as a Vanguard come from the other skills, either Nova or Biotic Slash, simply because they do more damage over a bigger area.
    Ah, but this is factually untrue. I've gotten the biotic god banner twice, and both times using a human vanguard spec'd for nova damage, biotic chare completed by wave 7, but it took two games to finish up nova, and 1.3 of those games were specifically using Nova as much as possible. Sice they require the same number of points, we can easily surmise that it is much easier to get biotic charge points than nova points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's a good sign though. IIRC, the rare ammo has lower drop rates than other rares, while the first character card of a new class is slightly higher. So if you're getting ammo all the time, it should mean you've maxed out most of your guns and unlocked the entire roster. Not a bad position to be in, I'd say.
    Nah, because gear is what I want, and ultra rares. I'd like a typhoon 2, and I don't want to have to drop several million credits to get it. Sure, I maxed the Valkyrie after five matches, and the brawler would take only a couple, but I really would prefer something like Juggernaut Shields, or medigel transmitter, or the ops pack+shield gear. Or, hell!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Forget rare mods, I'd like to know how to get uncommons. I'm almost matched, with 25 levels of uncommon mods and 22 levels of rare. 12 uncommon mods unlocked vs. 13 rare mods.
    I'd like the answer y'all give him, because having a shield power modulator above rank 1, or a shield strength gear at all would be swell. I managed to get my targeting VI from rank 2 to rank 4 by spamming veteran and recruit packs out of boredom, and that's it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Normal spectre packs work best for me.
    I tried that. It looked promising, in that I got two ultra rares, but that's a gamblers lie, because I have no way to know those weren't coming in a premium spectre pack, anyway. And then I got a couple spectre packs of all expendables, so now I'm bitter.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dhavaer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Completed Operation Jackhammer and the hateful, hateful commendation pack gave me a damn Crusader IX. The PSP was much better though, Valkyrie and two mods.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

    I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    I'm in love with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    ...I...I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

  4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Ah, but this is factually untrue.
    Please read it again:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    ....90% of the points *I* get as a Vanguard come from the other skills.
    I fully submit the possibility that I'm really not very good at playing Vanguard (which my single player game as one being aborted to exchange for an Engineer will testify) but this isn't a thing that you can argue against; I don't typically use Biotic Charge all that much, and it's going to be tricky to MAKE myself do it, regardless of however it works out for you or anyone else.

    I honestly didn't expect this to be something so contested
    Let's Play!
    Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition
    (Updated: 19/11/2014)

  5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Forget rare mods, I'd like to know how to get uncommons. I'm almost matched, with 25 levels of uncommon mods and 22 levels of rare. 12 uncommon mods unlocked vs. 13 rare mods.
    Blame the idiotic move of not allowing uncommon mods to drop in the guaranteed slot of Veteran Packs. That one still confuses the living hell out of me, since it actually makes those uncommons more difficult to acquire than rares (and arguably even ultra-rares), since they can never drop in a guaranteed slot.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    I alway thought there should be a special pack with an uncommon slot that covered mods. premium veteran or something.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I alway thought there should be a special pack with an uncommon slot that covered mods. premium veteran or something.
    There was a Premium Veteran pack for a week, back when the game launched and they were still changing the pack types outside of the core three weekly. 33k for two guaranteed uncommons, if I recall. Don't recall it affecting anything about the mods, though.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    There was a Premium Veteran pack for a week, back when the game launched and they were still changing the pack types outside of the core three weekly. 33k for two guaranteed uncommons, if I recall. Don't recall it affecting anything about the mods, though.

    Zevox
    Probably not, would be nice though.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Completed Operation Jackhammer and the hateful, hateful commendation pack gave me a damn Crusader IX. The PSP was much better though, Valkyrie and two mods.
    How much does it weigh? I hated the eagle until recently. Perhaps the crusader isn't that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Please read it again:
    I took that as the standard general address. I have also heard the sentiment before and had numbers to display, which hold more weight than anecdotes. It was less telling you you were specifically wrong and should feel bad about yourself, an more drawing attention to a trend of thinking which is not backed up by numerical evidence.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Aaaand done, all of my uncommon weapons are now maxed out. I'll be back to Premium Packs and hoping for new classes tomorrow.

    Time to enjoy having that nice Phaeston 10, Tempest 10, and Phalanx 10 on most of my characters . And the Eviscerator for my Vanguards of course, but I already had that at 10 before I started buying Veteran packs en masse again.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    How much does it weigh? I hated the eagle until recently. Perhaps the crusader isn't that bad?
    It's not that bad, but when you're on your seventh and something more desirable is stuck at lv. 1 or, god forbid, still locked (Darn you Valiant, why do you continue to evade me?), it gets old seeing it in packs. The main thing you have to realize with it is that it's a single-slug shotgun, which makes it an unscoped heavy pistol at the worst of times and able to headshot enemies from across the map at the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    The Minds Of Almantha returns, now being remodeled for D&D 5e!

  12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    It's not that bad, but when you're on your seventh and something more desirable is stuck at lv. 1 or, god forbid, still locked (Darn you Valiant, why do you continue to evade me?), it gets old seeing it in packs. The main thing you have to realize with it is that it's a single-slug shotgun, which makes it an unscoped heavy pistol at the worst of times and able to headshot enemies from across the map at the best.
    Oh, mine is rank three, and I love it. But I realize just saying you're Barmy and it's awesome doesn't help. It is naturally armor piercing, really strong and really accurate. Which is unfortunate, in that it's two biggest features, weight and AP, work against it. An already heavy gun, you can say 'flick it' and add the high velocity barrel for +50 points, and go to town. Except it's already armor piercing so you get an extended barrel and that's it, which doesn't feel like an accomplishment.

    That said I think I'll try it on my volus assassin.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh, mine is rank three, and I love it. But I realize just saying you're Barmy and it's awesome doesn't help. It is naturally armor piercing, really strong and really accurate. Which is unfortunate, in that it's two biggest features, weight and AP, work against it. An already heavy gun, you can say 'flick it' and add the high velocity barrel for +50 points, and go to town. Except it's already armor piercing so you get an extended barrel and that's it, which doesn't feel like an accomplishment.

    That said I think I'll try it on my volus assassin.
    My point was mainly that it's kind of annoying to continually get it commendation pack after commendation pack. Although a friend of mine IRL who also plays ME3 said it's a good choice for a volus, if only because of stopping power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    The Minds Of Almantha returns, now being remodeled for D&D 5e!

  14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    My point was mainly that it's kind of annoying to continually get it commendation pack after commendation pack. Although a friend of mine IRL who also plays ME3 said it's a good choice for a volus, if only because of stopping power.
    Oh yeah. Mine is actually only level 2, but I put it on my volus adept. Ceelstia's Plot that thing is bad ass. Full damage without having to scope in, I can strafe enemies and shoot two or three at once, and the reload time is decent.

    That being said, I need to respec my little guy. Stasis works beautifully, except I didn't plan on the bubble so I have the wrong evolution at rank 4, and shield boost has some issues. I originally grabbed the shield bonus/not shield recharge/duration, thinking that for being a hitvol, I could rely on continuously regenerating shields in order to have recharge to drop a stasis bubble. No such luck.
    What I need to do, is grab the 12 second, 20% faster shield recharge. That puts me firmly in the 40% range, which means a little over 1 second. With 50% DR, even for only 3 seconds, that gives me enough time to actually do other thugs with my coolsown than heal and run. I'm going to max him out first though, as his passive is at rank 2. Once that gets up there, including the 30% shield boost, that continuous healing for six seconds may be worthwhile.

    Man I need more crusader ranks. It, the kishock, and the raider are my best guns for the wee dude.



    Random Headcanon; both Turian Legionaires are female.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    So, over the course of playing this past week or so, I've had a few things hit me that I think would be reasonably easy for the developers to do, and would improve the game quite nicely.

    One being to make the game remember your gear selection with each class, the way it does for weapons, so that you don't need to change gear every time you change classes. That gets a bit annoying, especially once your gear list gets somewhat lengthy.

    Another being to add an option to search specifically for games doing Unknown in the enemies and stage categories. I only play one game with any group not doing unknown/unknown because that keeps things from getting stale, so it'd be nice to just not worry about getting randomly paired with anything else.

    Another being to add some basic info about your allies' builds to their screen in the lobby. Perhaps highlight the powers that they have ranks in, or display a six-segmented bar beneath each which display how many ranks they have in them, so that you know if, for instance, your Vanguard ally is actually playing a no-Charge build, or your Krogan Sentinel ally has eschewed Incinerate and thus can't set up fire bursts with your biotic character, etc etc. I don't think there's much need to do this for class talents or fitness, though I admit that knowing if you're dealing with a no-fitness glass canon build may help too.

    Also, I've been trying to think of what they could do to make the burst function of Tech Armor and its knock-offs worthwhile, and I think what they really need to do is turn it into some sort of emergency button. Either make it restore some of your shields when you use it, or perhaps make it near-guaranteed to stagger enemies, buying you time to get out of a bad situation. Because as-is, it's just never worth sacrificing your armor for an attack, and I don't think that'll change unless you make the attack blatantly overpowered.

    Thoughts anyone?

    Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-03 at 06:37 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I took that as the standard general address. I have also heard the sentiment before and had numbers to display, which hold more weight than anecdotes. It was less telling you you were specifically wrong and should feel bad about yourself, an more drawing attention to a trend of thinking which is not backed up by numerical evidence.
    Then I apologise. I have clearly taken it as an individual mark, which you have not intended. I did not mean to come across so harshly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    One being to make the game remember your gear selection with each class, the way it does for weapons, so that you don't need to change gear every time you change classes.
    It seems so obvious, I can't imagine why they haven't done this already.

    Another being to add an option to search specifically for games doing Unknown in the enemies and stage categories.
    I was thinking this exact same thing only a few hours ago; I choose 'Any Enemy' because I actually want it to be randomly determined, not because I don't care if I'm going to be dropped into a very dull Geth Farm.

    Another being to add some basic info about your allies' builds to their screen in the lobby.
    I can't say that I think of this as a high priority - on the one hand it'd be nice to know what things other people are trying out and thus determine new and interesting builds.... But on the other, the G.I.F.T. says that it'll just mean that people will abuse it to kick players who - otherwise probably quite competent and well meaning - don't fit with the Leader's established notion of a 'good' build, and that would be sad.

    Also, I've been trying to think of what they could do to make the burst function of Tech Armor and its knock-offs worthwhile, and I think what they really need to do is turn it into some sort of emergency button.
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if they removed the Splash Function at all and just left it as a passive DR skill. The only difference from that and how I use it now, is that I would have one less annoying category to grind for my Tech Challenges

    But yes; high chance of knockdown would be the obvious thing. Maybe prime - or even detonate - Tech Bursts (though I can't see that being widely used) could be a viable alternative.

    One thing I would like to see changed: How the game drops you into a game mid-wave. Doing so on Gold with anything less but the fastest of internet connections is often a death sentence, and even on Silver there's a 50-50 chance that you are KO'd before the loading screen has disappeared. I really wouldn't object if I were given a message along the lines of "You are entering an active warzone, please wait while Emergency Deployment is arranged" and am then put into spectator mode until the end of the Wave.

    It's really not fun, being dead before you can even see the enemy and defend yourself.
    Let's Play!
    Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition
    (Updated: 19/11/2014)

  17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Barrier and AF already work well
    In that regard; barrier knocks back because it reduces the target's mass, and AF is huge and does mondo damage. So tech armor can be made functional. I suppose the best unique idea is to feed it bak into its damagin counterpart in ME2, something like doing bonus damage proportional to the amount of shield you've lost but only half as much when your shieldgate breaks (to represent the shield emitters just giving out instead of a nova emission). A reverse nova, maybe have it break your shield, for increased damage and radius as an evolution choice?

    So far, tech armor isn't designed with damage in mind though. That's an artifact. What they wanted from tech Armor is a defense/power use dichotomy. The burst is just to pad out the early ranks.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I was thinking this exact same thing only a few hours ago; I choose 'Any Enemy' because I actually want it to be randomly determined, not because I don't care if I'm going to be dropped into a very dull Geth Farm.
    Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Heck, I've sometimes seen silver games set to White/Geth - can't imagine why someone is doing that on that difficulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I can't say that I think of this as a high priority - on the one hand it'd be nice to know what things other people are trying out and thus determine new and interesting builds.... But on the other, the G.I.F.T. says that it'll just mean that people will abuse it to kick players who - otherwise probably quite competent and well meaning - don't fit with the Leader's established notion of a 'good' build, and that would be sad.
    Hm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. Kinda sucks to think that the only way to avoid that kind of issue is to force people to go in blind as to what their allies are capable of, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    One thing I would like to see changed: How the game drops you into a game mid-wave. Doing so on Gold with anything less but the fastest of internet connections is often a death sentence, and even on Silver there's a 50-50 chance that you are KO'd before the loading screen has disappeared. I really wouldn't object if I were given a message along the lines of "You are entering an active warzone, please wait while Emergency Deployment is arranged" and am then put into spectator mode until the end of the Wave.

    It's really not fun, being dead before you can even see the enemy and defend yourself.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Althought I've never been outright killed when being dropped into a match, I've often been put into awful situations where I wound up dead before I could get to safety anyway, which is little different. Though if I'm being perfectly honest I wouldn't mind them just removing the possibility of being dropped into ongoing games altogether, since that's always bothered me a bit in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    Barrier and AF already work well
    In that regard; barrier knocks back because it reduces the target's mass, and AF is huge and does mondo damage.
    "Reduces the target's mass?" That sounds more like lore from the codex than a game mechanic - you sure it does anything of the sort?

    And what's "AF?"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    I suppose the best unique idea is to feed it bak into its damagin counterpart in ME2, something like doing bonus damage proportional to the amount of shield you've lost but only half as much when your shieldgate breaks (to represent the shield emitters just giving out instead of a nova emission). A reverse nova, maybe have it break your shield, for increased damage and radius as an evolution choice?
    Hm, maybe. Though that doesn't really take from the ME2 version - there it just went off when your shields dropped, acting like an emergency defense mechanism, which is kind of where I was getting my own suggestions from.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    So far, tech armor isn't designed with damage in mind though. That's an artifact. What they wanted from tech Armor is a defense/power use dichotomy. The burst is just to pad out the early ranks.
    That's precisely why I'm suggesting changing it: it's padding that nobody really uses. If they can't make it useful, why not remove it entirely and replace the boosts to it with something that actually is useful - perhaps smaller boosts to power recharge speed or power damage, to feed into the defense/power use dichotomy you posited.

    Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-03 at 08:08 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dhavaer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Also, I've been trying to think of what they could do to make the burst function of Tech Armor and its knock-offs worthwhile, and I think what they really need to do is turn it into some sort of emergency button. Either make it restore some of your shields when you use it, or perhaps make it near-guaranteed to stagger enemies, buying you time to get out of a bad situation. Because as-is, it's just never worth sacrificing your armor for an attack, and I don't think that'll change unless you make the attack blatantly overpowered.
    Disassociating it from cooldown would help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    And what's "AF?"
    Annihilation Field.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

    I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    I'm in love with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    ...I...I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

  20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Then I apologise. I have clearly taken it as an individual mark, which you have not intended. I did not mean to come across so harshly.
    No problem. I had just literally heard it three times prior that day, and when I responded to your complaint I was in a foul mood so I kept it brief. I realize you were more worried about why I was jumping down your throat, so an explanation and then backing of was my best tactic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Heck, I've sometimes seen silver games set to White/Geth - can't imagine why someone is doing that on that difficulty.
    Some people don't want to actually improve.
    As seen by all the people who's till swear that geth farming on white works like it used to.

    "Reduces the target's mass?" That sounds more like lore from the codex than a game mechanic - you sure it does anything of the sort?

    And what's "AF?"
    It's an observation. Pull, throw, etc. have two effects, a direction and an alteration of ingame gravity. If you pull a protected enemy they sort of stagger into the direction of the pull, right? If you hit a protected enemy with a high-force attack while they are bein pulled they react as if the attack had more force... Or as of they had lower resistance.

    Detonating barrier provides a small "lift" function as well as an explosion. I hypothesize this is why it is so effective at staggering protected enemies, that it relatively enhances the force involved.

    Hm, maybe. Though that doesn't really take from the ME2 version - there it just went off when your shields dropped, acting like an emergency defense mechanism, which is kind of where I was getting my own suggestions from.
    It's a concession, certainly. Given that it now must be triggered to detonate, rather than doing so upon losing your shield, having the trigger involve your yield is a very clunky way of approximation. And you don't want people waiting for their shields to burst in order to get like, +100% damage, so something like adding 3% damage for every 1% of your shield gone, to a maximum of +285% bonus damage at 95% shield depletion (dropping to on +50% when thyroid shiel is entirely gone), you get people actively using it as a tactic instead of just "whoops, my shield broke. Better put it back up.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Wow, this was an awful day for packs for me. Five Premium packs and a regular Specter pack (which would've been a Premium pack, but I was being hasty and grabbed the regular by accident), and the best things I got from them were two uncommon mods (AR Piercing Mod 5, SMG Ultralight Materials 1) and a rank up in my Medi-Gel Transmitter. All the rest were appearance options for classes (mostly ones I don't even play), ranks up in weapons I won't use, and an unlock for the Battlefield 3 Soldier, which is just about the last class I wanted to get. Talk about discouraging...

    @ SiuiS - I believe you mentioned a while back that you knew of a character creator that seemed to have up-to-date stats on the weapons? Any chance you could post a link to that? I have a couple I'd like to compare.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Disassociating it from cooldown would help.
    Hm, it may, yes. Then a person could detonate it and immediately put it back up, making it effectively both an attack and defense. I'm not sure that's the sort of thing they'd want to go for with it, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Annihilation Field.
    Ah. But that's not a Tech Armor-esque ability, but a separate thing entirely. And also one that I really can't remark upon, since I don't have either of the classes that use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Some people don't want to actually improve.
    As seen by all the people who's till swear that geth farming on white works like it used to.
    No, I get that part. It's the part where you'd actually need to do farming techniques on silver that I don't get. Even if you're a poor player who isn't good at silver games, you can get pretty much any random group on silver and odds are there'll be two or three other people who will do just fine and can carry you.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's an observation. Pull, throw, etc. have two effects, a direction and an alteration of ingame gravity. If you pull a protected enemy they sort of stagger into the direction of the pull, right? If you hit a protected enemy with a high-force attack while they are bein pulled they react as if the attack had more force... Or as of they had lower resistance.

    Detonating barrier provides a small "lift" function as well as an explosion. I hypothesize this is why it is so effective at staggering protected enemies, that it relatively enhances the force involved.
    Huh, interesting. Unfortunately, since I don't have the Krogan Shaman, my only class with Barrier is the Krogan Vanguard, and he already has a better panic button power, so I don't know that I'll get any use out of that. Perhaps they could put that effect on the other Tech Armor type powers, however.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  22. - Top - End - #832
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Strife Warzeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Connecticolt
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    For class building, I use this site. Not sure if it's the one SiuiS is talking about but it is up-to-date from what I can tell and it's what I use.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

  23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Dhavaer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    So, I've got the assault rifle mastery banner, although I think I prefer Biotic God. Now it's time for Earth Mastery as Cerberus Mastery is just dragging. Nemesis 2, Atlas 3 and Guardian 3 have been sitting on my upcoming completions for far too long.
    Packs have been good: CAR is up to IV, unlocked the asari Valkyrie and the batarian Brawler, although I won't use the latter. Also maxed out the Shock Trooper gear, which will be nice on my Havoc. It looks like the assault rifle HVB will start outdoing the standard armour piercing mod at III, which kind of sucks for something that weighs more than some of the guns you can stick it to. It really should give a damage bonus. The shotgun one is nice on the Piranha, though.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

    I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    I'm in love with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    ...I...I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

  24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    For class building, I use this site. Not sure if it's the one SiuiS is talking about but it is up-to-date from what I can tell and it's what I use.
    Unfortunately that doesn't quite give me what I want. It gives base damage values, and will add damage for the appropriate mod, but doesn't calculate DPS or give any kind of rate-of-fire numbers.

    What I'm looking to determine is if I'm better off with my Carnifex 3 using a piercing mod (which puts me at 184% cooldown with ULM in the other mod slot) or with my Phalanx 10 using damage and piercing mods (which I can use alongside a Tempest 10 for no cooldown reduction, or alongside my Geth Plasma SMG 8 for 198%), especially against armored opponents. I of course don't expect the Phalanx to do as much as the Carnifex, but I'm curious about what the exact difference is, so I can decide whether to just hold off on using the Carnifex for a while now that I've got the Phalanx maxed out, or whether the Carnifex is the better choice even at that low level and with the somewhat higher cooldown effect.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Wow, this was an awful day for packs for me. Five Premium packs and a regular Specter pack (which would've been a Premium pack, but I was being hasty and grabbed the regular by accident), and the best things I got from them were two uncommon mods (AR Piercing Mod 5, SMG Ultralight Materials 1) and a rank up in my Medi-Gel Transmitter. All the rest were appearance options for classes (mostly ones I don't even play), ranks up in weapons I won't use, and an unlock for the Battlefield 3 Soldier, which is just about the last class I wanted to get. Talk about discouraging...
    Yeah. It only gets more Ammo-y from here.


    Ah. But that's not a Tech Armor-esque ability, but a separate thing entirely. And also one that I really can't remark upon, since I don't have either of the classes that use it.
    It's an activatable power which can be turned off for an effect, like barrier, tech armor and fortification. It counts as far as this discussion if only because damaging aura aside, it is a better detonating armor power than tech armor. The fact that it wasn't supposed to be is worse; it's a wizard being a better fighter than the fighter, as it were.

    No, I get that part. It's the part where you'd actually need to do farming techniques on silver that I don't get. Even if you're a poor player who isn't good at silver games, you can get pretty much any random group on silver and odds are there'll be two or three other people who will do just fine and can carry you.
    I joined a platinum game last night where the highest rankin weapon was a hurricane 3. Get enough people expecting everyone else to carry them together, see what happens.

    Huh, interesting. Unfortunately, since I don't have the Krogan Shaman, my only class with Barrier is the Krogan Vanguard, and he already has a better panic button power, so I don't know that I'll get any use out of that. Perhaps they could put that effect on the other Tech Armor type powers, however.
    It's a terrible panic button still. Make no mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    For class building, I use this site. Not sure if it's the one SiuiS is talking about but it is up-to-date from what I can tell and it's what I use.
    This is what I use, yes. There are some issues, where the table won't update an the heavy mods don't work, but otherwise you're good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    So, I've got the assault rifle mastery banner, although I think I prefer Biotic God. Now it's time for Earth Mastery as Cerberus Mastery is just dragging. Nemesis 2, Atlas 3 and Guardian 3 have been sitting on my upcoming completions for far too long.
    Packs have been good: CAR is up to IV, unlocked the asari Valkyrie and the batarian Brawler, although I won't use the latter. Also maxed out the Shock Trooper gear, which will be nice on my Havoc. It looks like the assault rifle HVB will start outdoing the standard armour piercing mod at III, which kind of sucks for something that weighs more than some of the guns you can stick it to. It really should give a damage bonus. The shotgun one is nice on the Piranha, though.
    earth mastery is my favorite banner so far. Second favorite is Halloween banner. Combat mastery is like a badge of honor because I how much I a bloody damn grind it was, but is kinda tacky; an army of Krogan in sepia, with a skull and crossbones.

    I switched back to earth mastery.

    Getting it is a synch. Earth weapon plus class plus stage, and throw on like, Cerberus for kicks.

    Zevox: carnifex 3, 291/shot. Phalanx 10 with level 1 extended barrel is 157.85/ shot. If you can get off 2 shots or more in the time it takes to fire one carnifex shot, the phalanx is superior. if you've got rank 5 barrel, 3 shots from phalanx is stronger than 2 from carnifex.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Yeah. It only gets more Ammo-y from here.
    I'm not worried about getting into that situation any time soon - I'm nowhere near maxing out everything, not by a long shot. Like I said a little while back, I only recently got my first rank-10 rare weapon. On most of them I'm lucky if they're above rank 3. I have ten rare classes and one ultra-rare that I don't have (not counting the unreleased ones from Retaliation), all but three of which I'd like to play or at least try. Most of the rare mods I don't have at all.

    And that's precisely what's discouraging about it, really. I have plenty of things left to get that I want or could use, but even though I picked up quite a lot of packs today, I hardly got anything worth my time.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's an activatable power which can be turned off for an effect, like barrier, tech armor and fortification. It counts as far as this discussion if only because damaging aura aside, it is a better detonating armor power than tech armor. The fact that it wasn't supposed to be is worse; it's a wizard being a better fighter than the fighter, as it were.
    But it's not an armor power at all. Having a detonation effect doesn't make it the same thing - and honestly if anything I'd expect it to be better there, since it was new power created for the multplayer, so the decision to give it that effect meant that they intended it to be useful. As opposed to Tech Armor and its knock-offs, which, as you pointed out before, have the detonation solely as an artifact of the ME2 version which doesn't seem to have been thought through when creating the rebalanced ME3 version.

    Actually, another relevant point there would be that the one Tech Armor knock-off created originally for the multiplayer, Blade Armor, does not have the burst effect. Might be a point that gives some insight into the multiplayer designers' opinion of that feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Zevox: carnifex 3, 291/shot. Phalanx 10 with level 1 extended barrel is 157.85/ shot. If you can get off 2 shots or more in the time it takes to fire one carnifex shot, the phalanx is superior. if you've got rank 5 barrel, 3 shots from phalanx is stronger than 2 from carnifex.
    Hm, okay. Now if only I had some kind of information on the rate-of-fire of each weapon...

    Actually, the old chart is probably still useful there. I don't think I've ever seen a rate-of-fire change in the weekly balance adjustments.

    Hm... well, that's fairly clear-cut. DPS Phalanx 10 with Extended Barrel 5 is 747.41, Carnifex 3 is 485. I may not fire at the absolute fastest possible rate, but I'd wager I fire fast enough that I'll at least equal the Carnifex with my Phalanx if those numbers are accurate, and I'll save cooldown weight and have a backup weapon with me to boot. Carnifex is going on the back burner until it ranks up, then.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    But it's not an armor power at all. Having a detonation effect doesn't make it the same thing - and honestly if anything I'd expect it to be better there, since it was new power created for the multplayer, so the decision to give it that effect meant that they intended it to be useful. As opposed to Tech Armor and its knock-offs, which, as you pointed out before, have the detonation solely as an artifact of the ME2 version which doesn't seem to have been thought through when creating the rebalanced ME3 version.
    Several things.
    1- we were discussing tech Armor's abilit to burst as a function. That it also provides armor, and annihilation field does not, isn't germane to the discussion.
    That annihilation field was made for multiplayer is also not relevant. Not only have the balance changes web designed such that they specifically can take care of this sort of thing, but they also completely replaced how concussive shot works, meaning they could completely replace tech armor if need be. That it wasn't designed for multiplayer has no weight.

    Hm, okay. Now if only I had some kind of information on the rate-of-fire of each weapon...




    You could always just go into a match, fire one gun, go Ito another, fire the other, and compare. I mean, theoretically your box is right there.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post




    You could always just go into a match, fire one gun, go Ito another, fire the other, and compare. I mean, theoretically your box is right there.
    If that kind of testing gave the kind of specificity that I was looking for, I wouldn't be asking for hard numbers online. I don't trust myself to just eyeball this sort of thing and guess which weapon will work better - too easy for me to just be outright wrong.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    If that kind of testing gave the kind of specificity that I was looking for, I wouldn't be asking for hard numbers online. I don't trust myself to just eyeball this sort of thing and guess which weapon will work better - too easy for me to just be outright wrong.

    Zevox
    Normally, I would agree. There is only one variable you need to test, however, and that is how fast, accurate and responsive you can be while pulling the trigger. Once you have the numbersfor damage you can guesstimate ire speed with reasonable accuracy.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

  30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sholos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Normally, I would agree. There is only one variable you need to test, however, and that is how fast, accurate and responsive you can be while pulling the trigger. Once you have the numbersfor damage you can guesstimate ire speed with reasonable accuracy.
    This is one reason I prefer faster firing weapons. I'm not great at that single shot, so I like to be able to correct, and my computer likes to randomly lag and skip frames, so my problem is just exacerbated.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

    Save the catgirls!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •