New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Heh, and now I've unlocked the N7 Demolisher. The plan looks to be lob an endless stream of supergrenades.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Heh, and now I've unlocked the N7 Demolisher. The plan looks to be lob an endless stream of supergrenades.
    Very much so, yes. Be sure to take the upgrade to the Supply Pylon that makes it drop two grenades at once instead of one, and the one that increases the frequency it drops them. Note that it always drops some immediately after being set, and it's your only power tied to a cooldown, so if you need grenades and have a moment where you're not being shot at, feel free to place a new one to get a couple right away.

By that same token, since Supply Pylon is your only power with a cooldown and you won't need to place it frequently, you can use whatever weapons you want without worrying about weight. I got for the Striker AR myself, since it's basically a grenade launcher - completes the character theme too nicely for me to pass up.

On Arc Grenades, I'd highly recommend the radius boost and shield damage boost. They're great for damaging and stunning groups of weaker enemies, or stripping shields from heavier targets.

Homing Grenades are your heavy-hitter anti-armor power. I would highly recommend going for maximum damage from them. With that, just a few will completely wreck a Brute even if you're on your own.

Just try and remember that you do have a limit to your grenades, despite the Supply Pylon. Don't toss them too casually - wasting grenades can end poorly for you if you get forced away from your Pylon and can't find time to set a new one, where having grenades could help you make time to do so. In an emergency though, also remember that the thermal clip expendable restores grenades as well as ammo, so you can use those if need be.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, excellent, I think that was the exact thinking I used. Falcon instead of striker though, but I was thinking of switching to Striker, as the Falcon's shots seem to frequently bug on Xbox.

A bit disappointing that grenade supply of the two is tied, but I guess six at a time is enough. Went for the combo-setting DoTs on the grenades instead of capacity.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-11 at 02:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Colossus in the Playground

Well I got Mass effect 3 awhile back, and finally got to the mutliplayer. Haven't unlocked any additional classes yet, so right now I'm just playing a human adept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Well I got Mass effect 3 awhile back, and finally got to the mutliplayer. Haven't unlocked any additional classes yet, so right now I'm just playing a human adept.
    Much as it pains me to post this, be sure to get all the free multiplayer DLC as soon as possible. If you've been playing vanilla, it's vanishingly unlikely that you will be able to find other people to play with. Also, you get new maps, and the possibility of unlocking new weapons and characters. Also, what's your Origin info? We've been compiling a list of playgrounders on the OP.

EDIT: Also, question for the community at large: At what level does the Carnifex begin to outperform the Phalanx X? Because I'm a lot closer to maxing the Phalanx than the Carnifex, and I'd like to know when exactly to make the transition.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-11-11 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #1026

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Much as it pains me to post this, be sure to get all the free multiplayer DLC as soon as possible. If you've been playing vanilla, it's vanishingly unlikely that you will be able to find other people to play with. Also, you get new maps, and the possibility of unlocking new weapons and characters. Also, what's your Origin info? We've been compiling a list of playgrounders on the OP.

EDIT: Also, question for the community at large: At what level does the Carnifex begin to outperform the Phalanx X? Because I'm a lot closer to maxing the Phalanx than the Carnifex, and I'd like to know when exactly to make the transition.
    I think I did, (How many are there, I have four I think.)

I'm not sure, I have my xbox live if that helps.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I really wish I had ME3 for the PC. Sadly, the save carried on the 360.

Any idea if unlocks persist across platforms?

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, that's all of them. Resurgence, Rebellion, Earth, and Retaliation.

That's basically what they're looking for.

Requested template:
    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Playgrounder multiplayer profiles (please use the provided format of
    - GitP user name
    - game system(s)
    - in-game user name
    - frequently used weapons/classes
    That's copy/paste from the OP, save you a trip.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #1029

Yeah, that's all of them. Resurgence, Rebellion, Earth, and Retaliation.

That's basically what they're looking for.

Requested template:

That's copy/paste from the OP, save you a trip.
    - GitP user name Illven
    - game system(s) Xbox360
    - in-game user name Migratingimp 44 (I'll make sure this is right)
    - frequently used weapons/classes Right now, only adepts.

Thanks for the copy/paste
    Last edited by Illven; 2012-11-11 at 08:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

- GitP user name Illven
    - game system(s) Xbox360
    - in-game user name Migratingimp 44 (I'll make sure this is right)
    - frequently used weapons/classes Right now, only adepts.

Thanks for the copy/paste
    IIRC, you get all the humans, so if you wanted to branch out into tech, the Engineer makes for a very good "caster". if you wanted to branch into weapons instead, the Sentinel is a good place to start. Biotics do have the lowest learning curve, however.

11. - Top - End - #1031

IIRC, you get all the humans, so if you wanted to branch out into tech, the Engineer makes for a very good "caster". if you wanted to branch into weapons instead, the Sentinel is a good place to start. Biotics do have the lowest learning curve, however.
    It's just more, I always play the Mage like classes.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, "casters." I like to play them too, tho I have been branching out into the other classes since I got my copy a week or so since it came out.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Oh boy, was today a frustrating day of play. I've mentioned that I've been playing some gold recently, to get money faster? I did that three times today. Every time, two members of the team were practically useless (these were with three different teams, mind). Every time, we wiped on wave 10 before completing the objective. Every time, I blew a good amount of missiles, medi-gel, and ops survival packs trying to make us succeed. And worst of all, every time, we could have succeeded had someone besides me been using their missiles.

So I went and played Vanguards on silver to blow off steam. Worked mostly, but even there I encountered one team that was so incompetant that I vastly out-scored every one of them, and when I got shanked by a Banshee in wave 10 they promptly fell apart and lost without completing the objective.

Hardly got anything to show for it in my packs either. Mostly ranks in guns I don't use - only ones worth anything to me were ranks in my Wraith and Paladin (which is now at the same rank as my Carnifex... tells you how my luck has been with the Carnifex...), and a rank in my Assault Rifle Extended Barrel mod.

Guess my luck had to turn around after the last two days, but damn, I wish it didn't have to come after matches like those...

The Engineer and Sentinel classes tend to work well for that as well. The Human Sentinel in particular is practically an Adept, just with Tech Armor for one of its powers (in fact, it shares its other two powers with the Asari Adept). I play casters and Vanguards practically exclusively, and honestly I play a greater variety of Engineers than I do Adepts. Mostly because I don't like several of the Adepts (Drell, Asari Justicar, Volus) and am missing one (N7 Fury), but still, I've yet to encounter an Engineer I didn't like.

Recommendation for your pack-buying: if you're okay with waiting on unlocking classes, start by buying as many Recruit Packs as you can after every game. That will rapidly allow you to rank up your common weapons and mods, as well as get you some stores of basic expendables like medi-gels and missiles.

If you want to get classes quicker though, there are two options. Six of them are uncommons (Turian Soldier and Sentinel, Salarian Engineer, Drell Adept, Asari Vanguard, Quarian Infiltrator), and your best bet for getting them are Veteran packs.

The rest are rares (or ultra-rares, for the Volus). For them, buy Premium Specter packs, and delete your DLC (except for one which has classes you want, if you really want something that isn't from the core game) before buying in order to maximize your odds by removing all the other rares that those DLCs added from the pool of things you could get. (You can redownload them for free afterward, just takes some time - which makes it a good idea to wait until you have enough money for a few packs at least, not do this every time you can afford one.)

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

I really should start playing gold soon. Right now I've just been jumping around between classes, may need to focus on one for better performance.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    The Engineer and Sentinel classes tend to work well for that as well. The Human Sentinel in particular is practically an Adept, just with Tech Armor for one of its powers (in fact, it shares its other two powers with the Asari Adept). I play casters and Vanguards practically exclusively, and honestly I play a greater variety of Engineers than I do Adepts. Mostly because I don't like several of the Adepts (Drell, Asari Justicar, Volus) and am missing one (N7 Fury), but still, I've yet to encounter an Engineer I didn't like.

Recommendation for your pack-buying: if you're okay with waiting on unlocking classes, start by buying as many Recruit Packs as you can after every game. That will rapidly allow you to rank up your common weapons and mods, as well as get you some stores of basic expendables like medi-gels and missiles.

If you want to get classes quicker though, there are two options. Six of them are uncommons (Turian Soldier and Sentinel, Salarian Engineer, Drell Adept, Asari Vanguard, Quarian Infiltrator), and your best bet for getting them are Veteran packs.

The rest are rares (or ultra-rares, for the Volus). For them, buy Premium Specter packs, and delete your DLC (except for one which has classes you want, if you really want something that isn't from the core game) before buying in order to maximize your odds by removing all the other rares that those DLCs added from the pool of things you could get. (You can redownload them for free afterward, just takes some time - which makes it a good idea to wait until you have enough money for a few packs at least, not do this every time you can afford one.)

Zevox
    Really? I know the infiltrator's are like Rogues (Tactical cloak). And Soldiers are Fighters, and Vanguards are Spellswords. Sentintial's to me are more like Tank's thanks to Tech armor in Me 2. But I'll try the Engineer, and Sentintial classes

Well I mostly bought Recruit packs because I was playing on bronze and didn't get a-lot of credits. Right now I've got the starting pistol at rank 5, and I think the assault rifle is at rank 2.

Does anyone have a link to list of what is a common, uncommon, rare or super rare?

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I know the infiltrator's are like Rogues (Tactical cloak). And Soldiers are Fighters, and Vanguards are Spellswords. Sentintial's to me are more like Tank's thanks to Tech armor in Me 2. But I'll try the Engineer, and Sentintial classes
    D&D equivalents isn't a great way to think about it. It really works more like this:

Soldiers: gun-focused classes, tend to use grenades, powers tend not to be their strong suit.

Infiltrators: sniper rifle or in some cases shotgun-focused characters. Defined by cloak, which greatly increases damage on any attack they do while it is active, and allows them to move more freely, making them good at doing the "activate four objects" objectives or reviving fallen allies.

Vanguard: close-combat specialists. Defined by Biotic Charge, which launches them right into an enemy, has invincibility when active, and recharges their shields. Generally the preferred class for melee or shotgun-oriented builds.

Adepts & Engineers: Casters, using biotics and tech powers respectively.

Sentinels: Are supposed to be casters using both biotics and tech powers, but the multiplayer devs don't seem to be able to decide what to do with them honestly. A couple are basically Adepts with Tech Armor (Human, Asari Valkyrie), others are basically Engineers (N7 Paladin, the as-yet-unreleased Volus Mercenary), others are more like Soldiers (Krogan, Vorcha). Kind of a confused category as a result. The only ones that really fit the original description of them anymore are the Turian and Batarian.

There are some exceptions in the non-Sentinel categories as well (the Turian Havoc Soldier is more like a non-biotic Vanguard than a Soldier, for example), but that's the gist of it.

Well I mostly bought Recruit packs because I was playing on bronze and didn't get a-lot of credits. Right now I've got the starting pistol at rank 5, and I think the assault rifle is at rank 2.

Does anyone have a link to list of what is a common, uncommon, rare or super rare?
    The wiki has you covered there. Lots of stuff to unlock at this point unfortunately. As I said, I'd advise sticking with those Recruit packs for now. The common weapons aren't especially good, but they're solid enough once ranked up to be worth using until you get a few ranks in rarer weapons, especially if you want to keep your cooldowns low. The Avenger Assault Rifle at rank 10 in particular will give you 200% cooldown if you have the carry capacity increase from the fourth rank in your class talent, making it a good weapon for casters to pick up early on.

You may wish to try your hand at silver once you feel you're getting the hang of things, though. It's really not that difficult, and since you're playing casters, your lack of good weapons won't matter so much. Silver gets you about twice the rewards that bronze does too, which speeds up pack-buying substantially.

Zevox

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Fdoopity dooptiy doop... Looks like this is you, then. The 'Inventory' section will show you all the items you can unlock, and their rarity, and which ones you've already got. Convenient. Not as informative at the wiki, but kind of neat anyway.

Heh. Oh look at that, I've run out of things to say. Peace out.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

D&D equivalents isn't a great way to think about it. It really works more like this:

Soldiers: gun-focused classes, tend to use grenades, powers tend not to be their strong suit.

Infiltrators: sniper rifle or in some cases shotgun-focused characters. Defined by cloak, which greatly increases damage on any attack they do while it is active, and allows them to move more freely, making them good at doing the "activate four objects" objectives or reviving fallen allies.

Vanguard: close-combat specialists. Defined by Biotic Charge, which launches them right into an enemy, has invincibility when active, and recharges their shields. Generally the preferred class for melee or shotgun-oriented builds.

Sentinels: Are supposed to be casters using both biotics and tech powers, but the multiplayer devs don't seem to be able to decide what to do with them honestly. A couple are basically Adepts with Tech Armor (Human, Asari Valkyrie), others are basically Engineers (N7 Paladin, the as-yet-unreleased Volus Mercenary), others are more like Soldiers (Krogan, Vorcha). Kind of a confused category as a result. The only ones that really fit the original description of them anymore are the Turian and Batarian.

There are some exceptions in the non-Sentinel categories as well (the Turian Havoc Soldier is more like a non-biotic Vanguard than a Soldier, for example), but that's the gist of it.

The wiki has you covered there. Lots of stuff to unlock at this point unfortunately. As I said, I'd advise sticking with those Recruit packs for now. The common weapons aren't especially good, but they're solid enough once ranked up to be worth using until you get a few ranks in rarer weapons, especially if you want to keep your cooldowns low. The Avenger Assault Rifle at rank 10 in particular will give you 200% cooldown if you have the carry capacity increase from the fourth rank in your class talent, making it a good weapon for casters to pick up early on.

You may wish to try your hand at silver once you feel you're getting the hang of things, though. It's really not that difficult, and since you're playing casters, your lack of good weapons won't matter so much. Silver gets you about twice the rewards that bronze does too, which speeds up pack-buying substantially.

Zevox
    I'll second this.

Also hello everyone, been a longtime lurker here:

- GitP user name Rising Phoenix
    - game system(s) PC
    - in-game user name Sirtimid
    - frequently used weapons/classes Right now: Ah... various: Adepts: Drell, Fury, Volus, Soldier: Krogan, Engineer: Salarian, Female Quarian, Volus, Destroyer. Vanguard: Krogan. Right now I am focusing on things with Gredanes I guess... On the beefier characters I usually run around with Rhaegal Karbine (sp?). Oh and I play on gold- though I hate, HATE collectors. Haven't tried platinum since the last DLC.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I'll second this.

Also hello everyone, been a longtime lurker here:

- GitP user name Rising Phoenix
    - game system(s) PC
    - in-game user name Sirtimid
    - frequently used weapons/classes Right now: Ah... various: Adepts: Drell, Fury, Volus, Soldier: Krogan, Engineer: Salarian, Female Quarian, Volus, Destroyer. Vanguard: Krogan. Right now I am focusing on things with Gredanes I guess... On the beefier characters I usually run around with Rhaegal Karbine (sp?). Oh and I play on gold- though I hate, HATE collectors. Haven't tried platinum since the last DLC.
    The gun is the Reegar Carbine. And everyone hates the collectors. Although I've heard that if you pick one of the original three for Platinum, they don't show up.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Nah, I'm willing to bet drones just can't do it. Which makes engineers actually more useful. Salarian rather. Makes salarian engineers more useful.
    Overload is much easier to detonate with though, so I'll stick with my Human. If I want ED + Incinerate, I've got the Paladin for that.

And I'm with Luzhan. You can't get mad that they've given us so much free stuff it makes it harder to farm what you want, especially since it doesn't. Specific DLC is just a deletion away.
    I'm not mad Just pointing out that the "free packs!" are less benevolent than they seem. I do enjoy the model, it makes me try things I might not have otherwise tried. For instance, if I could have bought specific shotguns, I'd have made a beeline for the Claymore and never even noticed how much fun the Reegar is, but the latter ranking up faster forced me to give it a go.

Nah, I'm willing to bet drones just can't do it. Which makes engineers actually more useful. Salarian rather. Makes salarian engineers more useful.
    Overload is much easier to detonate with though, so I'll stick with my Human. If I want ED + Incinerate, I've got the Paladin for that.

And I'm with Luzhan. You can't get mad that they've given us so much free stuff it makes it harder to farm what you want, especially since it doesn't. Specific DLC is just a deletion away.
    I'm not mad Just pointing out that the "free packs!" are less benevolent than they seem. I do enjoy the model, it makes me try things I might not have otherwise tried. For instance, if I could have bought specific shotguns, I'd have made a beeline for the Claymore and never even noticed how much fun the Reegar is, but the latter ranking up faster forced me to give it a go.

By that same token, since Supply Pylon is your only power with a cooldown and you won't need to place it frequently, you can use whatever weapons you want without worrying about weight. I got for the Striker AR myself, since it's basically a grenade launcher - completes the character theme too nicely for me to pass up.
    Also, remember that the pylon basically means infinite ammo. This can make low-clip guns (e.g. the Harrier and Widow) much more attractive for you than for classes that need to do the ammo-box samba.

The pylon also boosts your damage and shields if you stay in the aura; Demolishers make fantastic snipers. Pole-dance all night as you punch holes into the bad guys. And finally, a more advanced trick is knowing when to step OUT of the pylon's field, as it can give you some emergency shield-gate in a pinch on stepping back in.

A bit disappointing that grenade supply of the two is tied, but I guess six at a time is enough. Went for the combo-setting DoTs on the grenades instead of capacity.
    Yep, that's the way to go, especially once you get the +5 grenade gear.

Not sure, but it should be pretty easy for you to compare the damage/weight. Look at your cooldowns with each one; if both are decent, your next metric is damage, so select one then make like you're switching to the other, and see how far the bar is away from the line.

The other metrics don't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #1041

Zevox
    My pistol right now gives me 200% cooldown, I tend to just use that. Okay, I'll try some Engineer next time I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Fdoopity dooptiy doop... Looks like this is you, then. The 'Inventory' section will show you all the items you can unlock, and their rarity, and which ones you've already got. Convenient. Not as informative at the wiki, but kind of neat anyway.

Heh. Oh look at that, I've run out of things to say. Peace out.
    Yup, that's me. MigratingImp44 is my name then.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Banned

Cool. Xbox live tag is what we are looking for.

You definitely don't want to look at the class name when making these decisions. Look at the powers. We've currently got several caster soldiers, a rogue soldier, a rogue vanguard, rogue adept, fighter infiltrator, cleric engineers, cleric adept, fighter adept... The class archetype (soldier, adept, sentinel, infiltrator, engineer, vanguard) is almost useless for making decisions or understanding the class. Even before all the DLC, vanguards made the best snipers for example.

Caster-style classes include;
    Adepts human, Phoenix, drell, Asari, Justicar, shaman, fury
    Soldiers human, Turian, Battlefield, vorcha, havoc, geth
    Engineers human, quarian (female), quarian (male), salarian, volus, geth
    Sentinels human, Turian, batarian, paladin, Valkyrie
    Infiltrators Human, Quarian (female), Shadow, salarian
    Vanguards human, drell, Phoenix, Slayer, batarian

A bad idea. There have been variable builds and strategies sice the beginning. It's always been perfectly viable to use a human soldier as a caster, and it's always been viable to use a human adept as a gun-user. These are just a different take on the stereotypes you were telling him not to use.

Seriously. Everyone. Ignore class stereotypes. Powers define your ability, and class does not meaningfully define your powers.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Lessee...Contact information! Might as well get around to that.

- GitP user name :Luzahn
    - game system(s) : Xbox
    - in-game user name: Luzahn
    - frequently used weapons/classes : Jumping around a bit, but I usually favor Sentinels or Vanguards, and either Shotguns or Assault Rifles. Only really played silver up to this point.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-12 at 12:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Cool. Xbox live tag is what we are looking for.

You definitely don't want to look at the class name when making these decisions. Look at the powers. We've currently got several caster soldiers, a rogue soldier, a rogue vanguard, rogue adept, fighter infiltrator, cleric engineers, cleric adept, fighter adept... The class archetype (soldier, adept, sentinel, infiltrator, engineer, vanguard) is almost useless for making decisions or understanding the class. Even before all the DLC, vanguards made the best snipers for example.

Caster-style classes include;
    Adepts human, Phoenix, drell, Asari, Justicar, shaman, fury
    Soldiers human, Turian, Battlefield, vorcha, havoc, geth
    Engineers human, quarian (female), quarian (male), salarian, volus, geth
    Sentinels human, Turian, batarian, paladin, Valkyrie
    Infiltrators Human, Quarian (female), Shadow, salarian
    Vanguards human, drell, Phoenix, Slayer, batarian
    Really, all those classes are caster style? Soldiers and Vanguards too? I thought the main use of Vanguard was Charge/Nova?

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Really, all those classes are caster style? Soldiers and Vanguards too? I thought the main use of Vanguard was Charge/Nova?
    The main use of the vanilla Human vanguard is in fact Charge/Nova, but that does not hold true for any of the others. Again, like SiuiS said, look at the powers. Drell have cluster grenades (good for preliminary damage) and Pull (locks down any non-shielded, non-armored unit, plus sets up biotic explosions). (although personally I'd put Drell vanguards in the Rogue category, simply because of their speed and the grenades). Pheonix Vanguards have those whip things that Smash and Lash, which is a biotic combo in itself, Slayers have an arm cannon and what's basically a souped-up Shockwave. Definitely Caster. Batarian I can't really speak for, as I don't have one for experimentation and haven't really seen it in action enough.

As for the Soldiers listed there, they mostly have one power at the most which requires a cooldown (for the vanilla human, this is Concussive Shot, for the BF3 soldier, carnage, for the turian, Prox mine, etc.), which can be eschewed in favor of a more weapons-heavy loadout. All of these are on the fighter end of the scale. Exceptions are the Vorcha with flamer (literally have flames shooting out of their hands, how is that not caster?), the geth soldier (also with flamer, plus Hunter mode which lets them see enemies through walls), and the Havoc, which acts more like a Vanguard than anything else.

Sorry if this got too long-winded, I have a tendency to over-explain stuff.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

They're all the classes that rely on powers more than weapons.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    They're all the classes that rely on powers more than weapons.
    Oh....... Okay I understand.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, really, it all depends on which character you play in each class. The big six classes have become more thematic than mechanical, just describing the source of the powers than the usage.

It's actually part of the reason I don't play vanguards much anymore. I'm too attached to playing them as they worked in ME2, and the vanguards I have unlocked don't play like that. Hopefully Krogan does when I eventually unlock it...
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-12 at 02:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, really, it all depends on which character you play in each class. The big six classes have become more thematic than mechanical, just describing the source of the powers than the usage.

It's actually part of the reason I don't play vanguards much anymore. I'm too attached to playing them as they worked in ME2, and the vanguards I have unlocked don't play like that. Hopefully Krogan does when I eventually unlock it...
    Yeah it does, if I'm remembering my ME2 playthrough correctly.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

...Ignore carnage... Just pump biotic charge and barrier. Either spec yourself for shotguns or melee damage than go to town. You can solo Primes by essentially charge-shoot in face-charge shoot in face- repeat until dead. They are also great for reviving fallen allies: just charge onto that oponent who is about to boot stomp your friend to Hades and revive them while the enemy's stunned. That charge again to give your allies some space to flee.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-12 at 02:31 AM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show