New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    ...Ignore carnage... Just pump biotic charge and barrier. Either spec yourself for shotguns or melee damage than go to town. You can solo Primes by essentially charge-shoot in face-charge shoot in face- repeat until dead. They are also great for reviving fallen allies: just charge onto that oponent who is about to boot stomp your friend to Hades and revive them while the enemy's stunned. That charge again to give your allies some space to flee.
    Ok yes that is the perfect play style. One of my favorite characters right now is a melee-specced Krogan Sentinel.

There are many advantages to being an invincible teleporting death-turtle.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Really, all those classes are caster style? Soldiers and Vanguards too? I thought the main use of Vanguard was Charge/Nova?
    All those classes can be caster style. You can build them that way, or you could not. The point was to show you exactly how limiting "soldiers are fighters, infiltrators are rogues, etc." can be.

A human vanguard with shockwave maxed could strike enemies through walls, set up detonations on mooks and follow up with nova before rolling away.

Turian soldier gets proximity mine and concussive shot, which can be fired in rapid succession to cause detonations, knock enemies out of cover and around corners, concussive shot knocks enemies around consistently In a large area and could be spec'd for damage over time and damage to chilled enemies. It's a standard casting build.

Salarian infiltrator gets proximity mine and energy drain, giving him set-up, traps, large-area stagger attacks, broad lightning bolt area-of-effect attacks, invisibility and vampiric healing.

The list goes on. You could take a soldier, load him up with guns an grenades and that's it. But if you choose not to put a lot of thought into you build, you won't get a lot out of it.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I really should start playing gold soon. Right now I've just been jumping around between classes, may need to focus on one for better performance.
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing - when you can reliably jump into a Silver game on Wave 3 and still finish the map out-scoring the next player by 15,000 points, it's probably time to strap on a pair and go play with the big boys.

I do, however, have a confession to make; my name is Wraith, and I strongly suspect that I am one of 'those guys'. Y'know, the ones who run off, leaving my team in my dust, to kill everything as fast as I can and try to hog the glory for myself.

So help me, I try not to be.
    I always make for an objective, unless I'm a long way-away and the rest of my team already seem to have it sewn up (I figure that I'm helping more by flanking the enemy and drawing some of them away from the important locations). I always run to pick up a downed friend, even when sometimes I probably shouldn't. I even try quite hard not to Kill Steal (although we all have 'accidents', and if I see someone taking on more than 2 mooks by themselves, then as I see it the rest are fair game.... )

So, Playground, please help me to become a better Player?
    I've never played Gold, and while I understand that the basics are different to Silver (eg: Always stay with your team, try to use a mic if you have one, find a good place to hide and cover the exits, don't be a glory-hound, don't run for the LZ until there are only a few seconds left on the clock or you'll get swamped) what would you say are the most important things that I should do in order to be a competant - nay, valuable - asset to a Gold match?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

The test run of the N7 Valkyrie with the Turian Soldier went well. With the Turian stability bonuses and Marksman, I could fire off short and damaging bursts. And now that Marksman replenishes your ammo like Adrenaline Rush, I could double the not terribly impressive clip size.
    Still none of the classes I want in sight, though. I wonder if buying Premium Spectre Packs instead of normal Spectre Packs would increase my odds of finally finding one of them,
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Still none of the classes I want in sight, though. I wonder if buying Premium Spectre Packs instead of normal Spectre Packs would increase my odds of finally finding one of them,
    Yes, buying PSPs would help. I don't think there's really all that much reason to buy regular SPs in the first place.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've never played Gold, and while I understand that the basics are different to Silver (eg: Always stay with your team, try to use a mic if you have one, find a good place to hide and cover the exits, don't be a glory-hound, don't run for the LZ until there are only a few seconds left on the clock or you'll get swamped) what would you say are the most important things that I should do in order to be a competant - nay, valuable - asset to a Gold match?
    My suggestion: Don't try to be a hero, min max, always have 5 rockets especially against reapers and (oh gods) the collectors. Also expect to die... a lot... Oh and don't melee, unless you are a krogan or know what you are doing with shadow strike.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, paladins are decent with melee. It's a central part of my "hide behind a shield and wait for them to go away" strategy.

Still, if they get close to the shield, its usually better to shield drain followed by a Piranha to the face. And chest. And limbs. That thing hits everything.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-12 at 11:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Spamalot in the Playground

I do, however, have a confession to make; my name is Wraith, and I strongly suspect that I am one of 'those guys'. Y'know, the ones who run off, leaving my team in my dust, to kill everything as fast as I can and try to hog the glory for myself.

So help me, I try not to be.
    Gold will beat those bad habits out of you in no time, don't worry. Unless you play a class that CAN survive well on its own (e.g. the Shadow, Fury, either Vorcha or a well-equipped Krogan/Batarian), and even then you won't want to get too far from your team.

You covered most of it, so I'll just add - combos, combos, combos. If your class is able to, set them up, someone will knock them down - the credit goes to you and the AoE helps everyone. If you're noticing someone else doing the same thing, screw the credit and try to detonate them yourself. The point is, make things go boom if you can.

My other point of advice - start off by farming. White isn't so good for farming anymore, but Glacier and Rio still are; in any event, pick a map you're good at and search for or create gold games on that map. Don't worry if you're coming in low on the scoreboard, I used to as well - once your gear gets better so will you. The main thing is to make money (even if you're carried to victory) as fast as possible so you can spam PSPs for rares - you want the consumable capacity upgrades ASAP. That extra rocket, ops pack or medigel can mean the difference between 30k and 70k credits. And on a grenade-using class, ammo packs are almost like more rockets - drop your entire payload at your feet, refill and repeat.

If you like them, Infiltrators are a great way to get acclimatized to Gold, because while you're invisible you can avoid a lot of the chaos, and help the team by running into a pack of enemies to revive your heavy-hitters. Even Vorcha go down occasionally. (Just be prepared to run out again just as fast - reviving your teammate breaks cloak.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-11-12 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Yes, buying PSPs would help. I don't think there's really all that much reason to buy regular SPs in the first place.
    Well, I figured that since I'm looking for Rare cards, buying SPs was my best bet. But I've never been good at maths.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #1060

Well, I figured that since I'm looking for Rare cards, buying SPs was my best bet. But I've never been good at maths.
    PSPs are the way to go. You're guaranteed two rares (already you're paying 49k per rare, as opposed to 60k per rare with a SP) and have a good chance of even getting 3, or an ultra-rare, or even two rares and an ultra-rare - all of which drop the exchange rate even further. (e.g. 3 rares in a PSP = 33k per rare, as opposed to 60.) There's simply no contest; yes, they're expensive, but completely worth it.

Also, try to max out your ammo packs (255). This will cause your PSPs to only drop the good stuff in the consumable slot - rockets, medigel, or survival packs.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

By th way, how long has the Turian Soldier marksman ability restored ammo? I was playing my soldier earlier, and the clip was filling up whenever I used that.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    PSPs are the way to go. You're guaranteed two rares (already you're paying 49k per rare, as opposed to 60k per rare with a SP) and have a good chance of even getting 3, or an ultra-rare, or even two rares and an ultra-rare - all of which drop the exchange rate even further. (e.g. 3 rares in a PSP = 33k per rare, as opposed to 60.) There's simply no contest; yes, they're expensive, but completely worth it.

Also, try to max out your ammo packs (255). This will cause your PSPs to only drop the good stuff in the consumable slot - rockets, medigel, or survival packs.
    Tsk. That means I could have had the stuff I want a while ago if I'd bought them. Oh well.

13. - Top - End - #1063

So Mass Effect 4 is apparently a thing, and an underway thing at that.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/a...ware-montreal/

Key quote for those behind firewalls:

"That evolution now takes its next step, with the news that the next Mass Effect game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. This is the goal we have been working toward for years now, and every member of our team is proud, excited, and humbled to take on the responsibility for the next game.

There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that it will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems that the Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.

The other thing I can tell you is that, while it will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling."

The main thing is that the multiplayer studio is taking the reins as the main studio behind the franchise going forward. i.e. Montreal is taking over from Edmonton.

Disqus
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-11-12 at 12:11 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

The main thing is that the multiplayer studio is taking the reins as the main studio behind the franchise going forward. i.e. Montreal is taking over from Edmonton.

Disqus
    I forsee improvements in gameplay at the expense of some writing quality. And possibly a genre shift.

In all honesty, I'd quite like to see a stealth game a la Splinter Cell set in the ME galaxy.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

So...

Last mission match on gold vs cerberus... Mission is retrieve the object. Asari Valkyrie charges to the centre of the map... promptly gets swarmed by phantoms... que rocket spam to save the Valkyrie and the objective... more phantoms spawned adjacently three... everyone died...

XD
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1066

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    I forsee improvements in gameplay at the expense of some writing quality. And possibly a genre shift.
    Just to point out, these guys do have single-player chops too. They were responsible for most of the N7 missions in ME2, and the Omega DLC coming out is theirs as well. So that, more than anything, will be your best barometer of their writing quality.

In all honesty, I'd quite like to see a stealth game a la Splinter Cell set in the ME galaxy.
    Infiltrator Gear Solid?

I could see it working but as a mobile game, spin-off or other mini-game rather than a full-fledged installment.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a bit worried about the possibility of a change in writers, but then again, Mass Effect never did have exceptional story. It least for me, the big draw was the setting itself, and character interaction, not so much plot, which was never very complex.

Though I do hope some of the writers from the first few stay around, just to keep the universe internally consistent.

*Glares at Quarians*

Although I am worried about a lack of plot hooks. Shepard kind of resolved every minor racial dispute in the galaxy.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-12 at 01:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. I wonder when and where the game will take place. If it takes place after ME3, they're in for a challenge.
    Also, I just had a real stroke of bad luck - two matches there we got wiped before extraction. Of course, both of them were on Hydra. Needless to say, it impeded my progress towards a PSP.

19. - Top - End - #1069

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Although I am worried about a lack of plot hooks. Shepard kind of resolved every minor racial dispute in the galaxy.
    Not all the hooks. The Dark Energy plot is actually still out there and usable. The Yahg are still a danger to anyone stupid enough to uplift them, they're basically a planet full of Baatezu. The Krogan could still become expansionist, especially if Wrex, Eve or both died. The Rachni, if they survived, are still inherently susceptible to... whatever comes along. AI - even the individualized Geth, if they lived - could still be a danger.

Only Synthesis wraps everything up, and that is extremely unlikely to be canon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

The number of "if"s is problematic, though. If ME4 takes place after ME3, not only do they have to decide on the color of space magic used - which pretty much invites a huge backlash no matter which one they pick - but also various things that might have happened between the pickup mission gone bad and the last battle with the Reapers. The fate of the Krogan, Geth and Quarians which you mentioned are probably the biggest ones.
    Still, they could probably pick the "ideal" resolution to each situation - the genophage is cured and Wrex leads the Krogan, the Quarians and the Geth are at peace and so forth. Because those are what most players gunned for unless they were intentionally doing a FailShep or Darth Shepard run. Come to think of it, maybe the new team will actually manage to work some ambiguity to the choices presented. Just a faint hope.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-12 at 01:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Infiltrator Gear Solid?
    A salarian stealth game could be awesome. Give the little Spec Ops masters a chance to play their way rather than forcing them to fall in line with a bunch of grunts.

"You know why that missile you fired at their bunker hit home? Because my squad broke in, snuck through their defenses, and painted it without ever being seen. You know how you knew where that artifact was? Because my men infiltrated the mercenary outfit hired to guard it. You know why the diplomats never seem to give you all that much trouble? Because we got to them first. You know why Cerberus's most infamous assassin never killed you? Because he was in my scope while he was still trying to get you in his.

The fame and the glory are all yours, Shepard. You've earned them and I wouldn't have it any other way. So go ahead. Roar at the top of your lungs as you punch journalists and move heaven and earth to unite all our disparate races. Good luck to you. Because the more attention you draw, the more I can get the real work done."
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to point out, these guys do have single-player chops too. They were responsible for most of the N7 missions in ME2, and the Omega DLC coming out is theirs as well. So that, more than anything, will be your best barometer of their writing quality.
    Point.

Infiltrator Gear Solid?

I could see it working but as a mobile game, spin-off or other mini-game rather than a full-fledged installment.
    I just envision this game where you play as a Spectre (of your choice of race) who prefers to do solo black ops, as opposed to Shepard's three-man operations.

And not necessarily just for infiltrators. Imagine the applications of a silent Biotic Charge, Adrenaline Rush's time dilation or an Engineer's drone function as a distraction in a game where stealth is paramount.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

I unlocked the Krogan Shaman and the Argus rifle. I built the Krogan Shaman as focusing on biotic detonations. We'll see how it goes. He's also the first character on whom I maxed out Shockwave - I'm curious about the lift effect. It's also my first Krogan that does not rely on melee attacks - he only has 4 in Rage.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-12 at 03:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1074

The number of "if"s is problematic, though. If ME4 takes place after ME3, not only do they have to decide on the color of space magic used - which pretty much invites a huge backlash no matter which one they pick - but also various things that might have happened between the pickup mission gone bad and the last battle with the Reapers. The fate of the Krogan, Geth and Quarians which you mentioned are probably the biggest ones.
    Still, they could probably pick the "ideal" resolution to each situation - the genophage is cured and Wrex leads the Krogan, the Quarians and the Geth are at peace and so forth. Because those are what most players gunned for unless they were intentionally doing a FailShep or Darth Shepard run. Come to think of it, maybe the new team will actually manage to work some ambiguity to the choices presented. Just a faint hope.
    Control is probably the best canon ending. The Geth/EDI are alive, Shepard's around (and can potentially be encountered, even), plus being based on a true intelligence means God-Shep might reach full AI status, surpassing Starkid and being free of a similar feedback loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    The fame and the glory are all yours, Shepard. You've earned them and I wouldn't have it any other way. So go ahead. Roar at the top of your lungs as you punch journalists and move heaven and earth to unite all our disparate races. Good luck to you. Because the more attention you draw, the more I can get the real work done."
    What amuses me about this narrative is that the STG answers to the Dalatrass(es). Making her/them the ultimate masterminds behind Shepard's success would be rather disappointing.

I unlocked the Krogan Shaman and the Argus rifle. I built the Krogan Shaman as focusing on biotic detonations. We'll see how it goes. He's also the first character on whom I maxed out Shockwave - I'm curious about the lift effect. It's also my first Krogan that does not rely on melee attacks - he only has 4 in Rage.
    The Argus (even max level) was immensely disappointing for me, but hopefully you'll fare better with it.

For my Shaman, I went massive durability - full Barrier, Rage, Shockwave and Warp. Since the passive doesn't affect combo damage I shouldn't lose too much damage, and can definitely get close enough for a 'wave.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Control is probably the best canon ending. The Geth/EDI are alive, Shepard's around (and can potentially be encountered, even), plus being based on a true intelligence means God-Shep might reach full AI status, surpassing Starkid and being free of a similar feedback loop.
    Good point. Destroy, popular among players - including myself - as it is, kills all Geth, which would deprive any future games of them. Synthesis... yeah. No idea how that would be like. However, Control means that Shepard is a massive intelligence behind all the Reapers, which has its own problems.

The Argus (even max level) was immensely disappointing for me, but hopefully you'll fare better with it.
    I wasn't terribly impressed with it in the single player, but I'll at least give it a try.

For my Shaman, I went massive durability - full Barrier, Rage, Shockwave and Warp. Since the passive doesn't affect combo damage I shouldn't lose too much damage, and can definitely get close enough for a 'wave.
    I see. I'll try my build first, then think about alternatives. The fact that respecialization cards are much easier to get now helps immensely.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

I personally run my Krogan Shaman without Shockwave. Barrier specced for full durability/shield recharge. Warp specced for Detonate, Expose and Pierce. Krogan Berserker specced for Capacity, Headshots and Weapon Damage. Rage specced for Durability, Martial Artist and Pure Rage. Slap on a Wraith with Extended Barrel and Smart Choke. Warp things, and then headshot or melee them. Works wonders for me, personally.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What amuses me about this narrative is that the STG answers to the Dalatrass(es). Making her/them the ultimate masterminds behind Shepard's success would be rather disappointing.
    I was writing it more as a badass boast than an actual plot-relevant description. That said, if Kirrahe survives, he brings a sizable splinter of STG to work for you regardless of the temper tantrums the Dalatrass throws. I've always had STG support in my runs, but I've given Dali the finger every time.

And that's because I like Kirrahe and Wrex.

Of course, I know it'd never work because the first rule of Mass Effect is that the people in charge really are just that stupid. The Council really did sit there for three years with their heads tucked firmly up their... in the sand. One Dalatrass really has the power and the awe-inspiring brass to put an ancient grudge before the galaxy's future. Asari arrogance answered the question for the entire galaxy on just how well and truly they could screw themselves. So no, the STG would never act on Shep's behalf because the galaxy is at stake, not when a Dalatrass's bent out of shape over rejected appeals for genocide disguised as salvation.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-11-12 at 05:13 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

I personally run my Krogan Shaman without Shockwave. Barrier specced for full durability/shield recharge. Warp specced for Detonate, Expose and Pierce. Krogan Berserker specced for Capacity, Headshots and Weapon Damage. Rage specced for Durability, Martial Artist and Pure Rage. Slap on a Wraith with Extended Barrel and Smart Choke. Warp things, and then headshot or melee them. Works wonders for me, personally.
    I'd like him to be different from my Soldier and Sentinel Krogan, though.
    With that in mind, some adjustments need to be made based on his first match. I need to sacrifice power for area of effect or I miss too often. The lift effect doesn't seem to be working, so I'll scrap level 6 altogether (I don't need more recharge speed). I'll increase my durability instead.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like him to be different from my Soldier and Sentinel Krogan, though.
    The problem I find with building the Krogan Shaman for Warp + Shockwave is that it results in a Human Adept who is less maneuverable, can take a few more hits, and whose combos take longer to set up due to Barrier's cooldown delay and the likelihood that their weight capacity isn't as high.

It's that last point that was a problem for me. The combo was so slow to detonate that anything I primed usually got killed before I could launch a detonating power, and trying to mitigate that deficiency with a 200% cooldown meant I had to use pretty anaemic guns. And so I went without Shockwave.

If you can make a caster Shaman work, more power to you.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I could see them swinging Destroy into a working ending too. Or all of them could work. Write Destroy's anti-Geth pulse as missing some of the Geth. We know the Geth had a reputation for sending ships out into the expanse outside of the galaxy; I could see a group of them avoiding the pulse fairly easily. With some Geth still in play, the other differences could be easily glossed over with minor dialogue interactions.

Well, except for Synthesis's glowing-eye silliness, but that could wear off.