New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

I got the huntress. Sneakiness and biotics are new to me but she can definitely hold her own. Just be wary starting a combo while cloaked - even with free power, 200% and max duration on the cloak, you have a very tiny window to get your combo off in before the cloak pops and resets your cooldown yet again. Ugh!

Like the Valkyrie, I can see her being pretty deadly on a gish build (guns and powers.) Cloak + Piercing Warp has got to be a pretty painful damage boost. But as far as pure casters go, the Fury still rules my personal roost.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, looks like an Xbox patch has prevented my match for tonight. I really wish I'd played the series on PC.

I'm looking forward to trying my Cerberus Adept; Batarian Vanguard really doesn't cover my desire for lash play.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Banned

The huntress was interesting. Mostly what I found out was no matter how much I may like the arc pistol, a charge gun completely changes how you have to play. Pistol sniping is fun though.

My prime damage dealing technique was actually warp -> cloak -> dark channel, which (erroneously, it seems) has the duration rather than damage boost at 4. I end up with an additional 180 damage from dark channel on the primary target and have a strong enough warp to use it on the rest while dark channel runs its course.

This is usin the damage boosts from cloak. Like with the shadow, I forsook power use during cloak for the extra 25% power damage, since I wouldn't be able to cloak and use two powers anyway. It's potent but not the best.

Upon respec I will probably play around with damage effects more; expose earns me 15% more damage from secondary sources but less damage from the warp itself, which I think was a bad call on mg part. I also chose damage over detonation, because lets face it, dark channel -> warp is a terrible detonator combo. I'm going for raw actual damage instead. That decision seems to be working. May end up using the cloak duration and only getting the 40% boost to damage, akin with an extra power use during cloak. I'm already hitting around 800 damage per warp with just the +40%, making it a worthwhile tool aside don dark channel. Likewise, dark channel will get damage over duration, since the main effect is that it chains, but over time the likelihood of a secondary target bein in range dwindles considerably.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

I have Omega, and have played much of it, but couldn't manage to finish it tonight. It seems the game forgot to include decent mid-mission auto-save points, because after a death at what I think is the end or close to it, I find myself quite a ways back, and lack the will to finish tonight. (Plus I spent a lot of time tonight playing UMvC3, too.)

I'll have to wait until tomorrow for my full thoughts on it thus, but I'm certainly liking it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    And shockwave is totally close quarters. It's one of the few they got right.
    Close-quarters, sort of - I'd say more mid-range-ish since the range boost it got way back when. But it doesn't really bring anything to the table for a Vanguard. It's neither a high-damage power like its cousins, Smash and Biotic Slash, nor does it have any special properties that really help with close-quarters combat. About all it has going for it for a close-quarters combat based character is being an area power, but the Vanguard that gets it has a better one anyway, Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I got the huntress. Sneakiness and biotics are new to me but she can definitely hold her own. Just be wary starting a combo while cloaked - even with free power, 200% and max duration on the cloak, you have a very tiny window to get your combo off in before the cloak pops and resets your cooldown yet again. Ugh!
    Eh, probably not worth trying to squeeze out both powers in one cloak in that case, since it won't affect the damage of the combo (I think - that seems the logical conclusion from my understanding of how the power works). Just pick one instead, or go without the duration boost and do Cloak -> Dark Channel -> Cloak -> Warp.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #1445

I also chose damage over detonation, because lets face it, dark channel -> warp is a terrible detonator combo. I'm going for raw actual damage instead. That decision seems to be working.
    I have to agree - she is not good at comboing, at least not if you're trying to work the cloak into the mix too. So I'll try speccing her out of the combo evolution and do Warp -> DC instead of the reverse.

With the Arc Pistol (why didn't I think of that? I was popping heads with the Carnifex but knew there was a better option...) charged, I should be able to do a ton of damage with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Eh, probably not worth trying to squeeze out both powers in one cloak in that case, since it won't affect the damage of the combo (I think - that seems the logical conclusion from my understanding of how the power works). Just pick one instead, or go without the duration boost and do Cloak -> Dark Channel -> Cloak -> Warp.

Zevox

Urgh. In the amount of time that sequence takes, I could land 4-6 combos on my Fury. I'm definitely not playing the Huntress like a regular adept, that's for sure.

In other news I ran some matches on the Volus Sentinel. He is a hoot! I had our entire team surviving things that should have been impossible to live through. And unlike the Engineer, I can actually kill groups of enemies on my own fairly quickly thanks to my harassment drone (shock->detonate->chain lightning.) My drone and decoy got more kills than I did; I suppose my crappy Geth SMG was to blame for that one.

I had him 6/6/6/5/3 but I'm going to respec for the extra lightness next time. He can stand out in the open for quite a bit thanks to his pets, so I'm thinking he would also be a good Arc Pistol candidate. Plus I don't feel like the Fitness helped much.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-11-28 at 12:54 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Urgh. In the amount of time that sequence takes, I could land 4-6 combos on my Fury. I'm definitely not playing the Huntress like a regular adept, that's for sure.
    I wouldn't think that would take much longer than a regular Dark Channel -> Warp combo. From my experience with the Shadow, if you trigger the cooldown of Cloak at about the same time as the cooldown of another power, one cancels the other out, so that's not a concern, and Cloak's cooldown doesn't trigger when it's first activated.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloody hell. Just did another gold solo, and got 4 devices for every objective. Damn but that was unpleasant.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

THEY SAID THERE WERE ONLY THREE PRAETORIANS A WAVE
    THE LIEEEED TO MEEEEEEE
    I want to apologize to both you and Tome for my terrible luck with random enemies. Gold Collectors twice in a row is not fun any way you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    I'm seeing that I've come to rely on my team too much, possibly not contributing as much as I once did. I focus on soon my job to make theirs easier, but not as much actual enabling. I'm getting sloppy.

And now I'm underneath dagger?!

Well. That was fun. Two waves of spitefully using hunter mode and particle rifle to shoot enemies from Beneath, before the mobile area opened up enough that I could move. I spent those two waves pressing my trooper bulb through the wall of the round area beneath the building of Dagger, sniping who I could. Eventually, I got more mobility (no more invisible walls!) and was able to make a B-line for a ramp that led to the shuttle. Instead of getting to the ramp, I fell into quicksand and appeared on the LZ to enact my terrible vengeance before being sidelined by a banshee again on extraction. Some aiming issues afterwards but eh.

Today has been very glitchy. From being hit by an abomination and spending the rest of the match with a diagonally tilted camera, to shooting through enemies go don't take damage, to being dropped through reality by a banshee who kills me.
    I have to admit, your imprisonment under Dagger was pretty funny. Sorry.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Operation Privateer was a success.

Allied Goal: Complete 50,000 cumulative total extractions of Batarian, Vorcha, or Turian characters.

Results: 108,582

Congratulations, everyone! You didn't just hit the Allied Goal, you fired an M-920 Cain round straight at it! And just in case you were curious about the breakout by character, here you go:

N7 Infiltrator Turian: 16,536
    Sentinel Turian: 16,025
    Soldier Turian: 12,968
    Soldier Batarian: 11,669
    Soldier Vorcha: 10,552
    Sentinel Vorcha: 10,522
    Sentinel Batarian: 9,889
    N7 Soldier Turian: 8,844
    Vanguard Batarian: 7,511
    Engineer Vorcha: 4,066

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yay metrics! Not too surprising to see the Turian infiltrator toppin the charts though its interesting to see it has near double that of its soldier counterpart. And lonely Engi is lonely.

In other news I ran some matches on the Volus Sentinel. He is a hoot! I had our entire team surviving things that should have been impossible to live through. And unlike the Engineer, I can actually kill groups of enemies on my own fairly quickly thanks to my harassment drone (shock->detonate->chain lightning.) My drone and decoy got more kills than I did; I suppose my crappy Geth SMG was to blame for that one.
    Want so bad...

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Banned

I have to agree - she is not good at comboing, at least not if you're trying to work the cloak into the mix too. So I'll try speccing her out of the combo evolution and do Warp -> DC instead of the reverse.

With the Arc Pistol (why didn't I think of that? I was popping heads with the Carnifex but knew there was a better option...) charged, I should be able to do a ton of damage with her.
    It's a fun pistol, it really is.
    Like I said, I prefer subtly different tactics based on target. Today was Collector Day so I'll use them. Scion gets warp / cloak / dark channel, a standard enemy gets cloak / dark channel if they are weak and clustered, cloak / warp if they're strong/possessed, or dark channel / cloak / warp if I can target a mob leader and there's enough traffic to arc DC into it (or if he's ticking me off; kaboom!).

I guess the point is there's so much goin on you can't fit all of it into play without sacrificing something somewhere along the way.

I had him 6/6/6/5/3 but I'm going to respec for the extra lightness next time. He can stand out in the open for quite a bit thanks to his pets, so I'm thinking he would also be a good Arc Pistol candidate. Plus I don't feel like the Fitness helped much.
    That's actually what got me into the arc pistol; it's a consummate volus weapon because their cloak doesn't interact with the charge mechanism, and you're not missing out on cover anyway.

So the chain lightning really works as good as we hoped? I just promoted, but had rockets. They were occasionally useful, but nothing stand-out about them. I didn't notice a difference between the rank 5 drone and rank 6 drone except it didn't lead me to spawns as often (because with rockets it doesn't need to move anywhere).

Personally, I had 6/6/6/6/0, and was actually thinking maybe fitness would be worthwhile because rank 6 passive was a waste. Let me know what you think when you use all passive, no fitness. It sounds like the grass is always greener, so far.

I wouldn't think that would take much longer than a regular Dark Channel -> Warp combo. From my experience with the Shadow, if you trigger the cooldown of Cloak at about the same time as the cooldown of another power, one cancels the other out, so that's not a concern, and Cloak's cooldown doesn't trigger when it's first activated.

Zevox
    There are minor issues with it. If you cloak, and fire warp, you will get the visual representation of cool down – two half circles moving to meet in the middle – for warp. After a second or so, when the cloak finally breaks, the cooldown resets to cloak, with the half circles moving further back out, and then meeting at a different speed. It's possible to pull it off with the bonus power evolution because dark channel is instant, but it's got some hair-thin timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Farix View Post
    Yay metrics! Not too surprising to see the Turian infiltrator toppin the charts though its interesting to see it has near double that of its soldier counterpart. And lonely Engi is lonely.
    you're vorcha, and smart, and didn't expect to be odd vermin out?

----

Edge, sigh of relief. Honestly, I talk myself up so much and then suffer 'mysterious circumstances' most times a playgrounder wants to play... I'm just glad the game was fun, or at least funny. And hey, if you can see through walls, and shoot through walls, being in the wrong side of the wall can't be all that bad! It's too bad y'all couldn't lure them to me though, I'm pretty sure I could have revived you if things went bad. Pretty sure.

And uh, what did that even look like from your end? Was I actually under the catwalk? For the first minute or so, base on invisible walls, I thought I saw myself under the catwalk but you guys saw me running into walls like a goober.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

And uh, what did that even look like from your end? Was I actually under the catwalk? For the first minute or so, base on invisible walls, I thought I saw myself under the catwalk but you guys saw me running into walls like a goober.
    For me at least, you were under the ground in the area below the circular camping room. I never actually saw you, just your name floating around there.

13. - Top - End - #1453

I wouldn't think that would take much longer than a regular Dark Channel -> Warp combo.
    Reread my post - I said 4-6 on my Fury (they get Throw, not Warp - Throw comes out much faster and much more often.) Dark Channel -> run forward until cooldown -> Throw (c1) -> You are now in AF range, which primes -> Throw (c2) -> step forward -> Throw (c3) -> step forward....(repeat until dead.)

And not only am I doing tons of damage this way, I'm moving at blinding speed (Adrenaline Mod III + AF), healing myself when I get up close to shielded enemies (I usually charge at Marauder lines and duke it out toe-to-toe with Phantoms) and can teleport through walls.

When I use my Fury, 90% of the time I come first - and it's pretty amusing when I do so equipping a lowly Locust, but I'm in a game with somebody rocking a Scorpion X, Particle Rifle X and/or Black Widow IX. (Haven't seen BWX in the wild yet myself.)

That's actually what got me into the arc pistol; it's a consummate volus weapon because their cloak doesn't interact with the charge mechanism, and you're not missing out on cover anyway.
    Yep that's exactly what I realized. Plus it just fits the two techy ones. I was never a fan of Quarians but I'll definitely make use of it on Volus.

So the chain lightning really works as good as we hoped? I just promoted, but had rockets. They were occasionally useful, but nothing stand-out about them. I didn't notice a difference between the rank 5 drone and rank 6 drone except it didn't lead me to spawns as often (because with rockets it doesn't need to move anywhere).
    Rockets do damage but that's mostly it. And there's anti-synergy with the Detonate and Shock because the drone tends to float away (to get to minimum range) which can sometimes cause those powers to miss, if they even fire at all.

Between the Drone's CL and the Decoy's pulse, I've kept an entire hallway on lockdown, advancing to our position at a crawl and being pounded by my tougher allies all the while. And that's WITH all the healing and shooting I'm doing.

I've found the best results are when I have my decoy and drone flanking a target - I've destroyed many turrets that way by having them try to ventilate my explosive hard-light constructs. It also screws phantoms up to no end - I've had them derp out in front of the decoy (trying to sync it, I'm sure) then get pissed and blow up the drone, which staggers them, then turn around and palm-laser the decoy, which ALSO blows up. If they're not dead by then, I've usually replaced my toys to restart the confusion.

Personally, I had 6/6/6/6/0, and was actually thinking maybe fitness would be worthwhile because rank 6 passive was a waste. Let me know what you think when you use all passive, no fitness. It sounds like the grass is always greener, so far.
    I definitely will. I just felt so squishy (if something hit me while restore was on CD) even with 3 Fitness that I'd rather have the weapon damage and just play more carefully.

you're vorcha, and smart, and didn't expect to be odd vermin out?
    Knew I should've played him more I got kinda taken in by the Turian Ghost...
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-11-28 at 09:00 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Close-quarters, sort of - I'd say more mid-range-ish since the range boost it got way back when. But it doesn't really bring anything to the table for a Vanguard. It's neither a high-damage power like its cousins, Smash and Biotic Slash, nor does it have any special properties that really help with close-quarters combat. About all it has going for it for a close-quarters combat based character is being an area power, but the Vanguard that gets it has a better one anyway, Nova.
    I find it really rather useful on the vanguard, actually. I tend to skip the 6th rank of the class passive and get 3 ranks of Shockwave instead. After all, you can't always be charging, like during hacks, and during those times Shockwave is great for area crowd control and staggering bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    For me at least, you were under the ground in the area below the circular camping room. I never actually saw you, just your name floating around there.
    Same here, though I did get to watch him running around down there when that Banshee synchkilled me. It looked like he was running around with the ground up to his waist.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-11-28 at 10:47 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I'm disappointed in the Valkyrie's weight. My poor Valkyrie's cooldowns are overlong.

16. - Top - End - #1456

Q: How do I Soloed Mastery?

A: I DUNNO COREY LOL

(I think I'll try my hand at it tonight against Reapers with my Fury.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

After testing by posters from BSN, I can share several important facts about the Asari Huntress Infiltrator's Cloak.

• Currently, its damage bonus only applies to powers and melee, not to weapons or combo detonations.
    • Cloak's minimum cooldown of 3 seconds is longer than the typical cooldown of Dark Channel and Warp with a very light weapon setup.
    • A damage over time power cast under Cloak gains Cloak's damage bonuses for the entirety of its own duration, not Cloak's duration. This can result in very potent Dark Channels.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground

Tried my hand and Platinum soloing. First attempt was awful and I got synced 3 minutes into wave 1. The second went much better and I survived about halfway through wave 5. Then I promoted everything at 20 and bought a bunch of packs: 2 huntresses, a typhoon, a javelin and maxed out some more gear. No Soldier cards though, so I'm getting back to 20 the long way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

Does promoting come with some sort of bonus now, then?

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

N7 points and challenge completion.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Builds, builds, looking for builds! Any pointers one could give toward a newly unlocked lv. 20 Volus Merc and Asari Huntress would be greatly appreciated! Would prefer it if no re-spec cards were required, but would accept such builds regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Barbarian in the Playground

That article on Solo Mastery was interesting, but nothing new to me. I've already decided I'll be testing the GI and Ghost on Silver solo to see which one seems the best. An Infiltrator seems like a no brainer to me for finishing the harder difficulties. I just need to finish my bronze runs first.

I'm considering wasting a respec card to see if I like the glass cannon build on the GI (putting points in Prox Mine instead of fitness) but I don't think I'm going to like it very much. I currently skip Prox Mine completely in favor of full on fitness. It gives me much better staying power with vision active.

I like and use Prox Mine on other classes and can snipe with it with no problems... it just doesn't seem like a good fit on my GI.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    That article on Solo Mastery was interesting, but nothing new to me. I've already decided I'll be testing the GI and Ghost on Silver solo to see which one seems the best. An Infiltrator seems like a no brainer to me for finishing the harder difficulties. I just need to finish my bronze runs first.

I'm considering wasting a respec card to see if I like the glass cannon build on the GI (putting points in Prox Mine instead of fitness) but I don't think I'm going to like it very much. I currently skip Prox Mine completely in favor of full on fitness. It gives me much better staying power with vision active.

I like and use Prox Mine on other classes and can snipe with it with no problems... it just doesn't seem like a good fit on my GI.
    Depending on the build layout, it may be a great idea, but may not.the article lists the geth plasma shotgun, but I've found it to actually be a liability – though that may be why gold solo always ends on wave ten with frustrated shouting for me. Kinda sucks that none of that is new to me except the supposed GPS auto stagger (which I saw none of for all 140,000 points worth last night...), and the generated idea sits I'll at ease with me.

See, a hunter with proximity mine on a hair trigger but who also has shotgun amp as their primary gear is inefficient. It's not only less efficient that focusing on powers or guns, one or the other... It's also less efficient than other methods of getting the same results. So you have a ten second cloak, proximity mines every 2.5 seconds, and a gun youre relying on that does less than half damage unless spend a few seconds charging it, invalidating your own trajectory on a defensive scale. Switching out my usual Piranha for the gps gets me less damage, slower damage output, some nebulous autostun I've had no luck with (actually, that may be what kept those Praetorians at bay. Must research), and a slightly faster power.

This let's you drop mines more frequently as a mainline offense. The damage is appreciable, true, but it loses ALL effectiveness – the edge it had over the other build – if you cloak. Which means your primary damage I coming from hunter mode enhancing your powers, which means you've made evolution choices for hunter mode which further weaken your gun output. So instead of a healthy balance between weapon and power offense, you've got powers, cloaking, and a back up taser. But okay, I can see a caster infiltrator working relatively well.

And hell, it's worth a shot. Hunter currently has trouble on platinum solo, if only because the cloak duration requires too much aggression. I could try the ghost, who benefits from a 6/6/6/6/6 build, but the designer had some obvious flaws going – such as packing a shotgun and suggesting the Warfighter package instead of the easier to get and more useful Grenade Capacity gear, or ye equally available shock trooper package or whatever it is that gives you shotgun damage and grenades. Unfortunately, despite how little I actually use the ghost, I enjoy the novelty of it's hacked build, so I don't want to promote it. Although I'm leaning towards it anyway as an unused asset should be liquidated if it garners no interest.

Oh, Zevox: I got the wraith up to 4, and am going for shotgun mastery (23% left on wraith then I'm done!), and the extra level plus an AP heavy barrel with smart choke, an yes. I see why you wouldn't touch the disciple with a twelve foot Krogan.

24. - Top - End - #1464

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    After testing by posters from BSN, I can share several important facts about the Asari Huntress Infiltrator's Cloak.

• Currently, its damage bonus only applies to powers and melee, not to weapons or combo detonations.
    • Cloak's minimum cooldown of 3 seconds is longer than the typical cooldown of Dark Channel and Warp with a very light weapon setup.
    • A damage over time power cast under Cloak gains Cloak's damage bonuses for the entirety of its own duration, not Cloak's duration. This can result in very potent Dark Channels.
    Warp -> Cloak -> Dark Channel it is, then. I may occasionally throw out a combo, but it definitely won't be her focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    N7 points and challenge completion.
    The way you said it (immediately following it with your purchases) made it sound like promoting affected your packs in some way, particularly with the two ultras. My hopes were expertly dashed

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    This is precisely why I don't want to be an Infiltrator - everyone's going to do it

A Shadow vs. Geth could be interesting though.

And hell, it's worth a shot. Hunter currently has trouble on platinum solo, if only because the cloak duration requires too much aggression. I could try the ghost, who benefits from a 6/6/6/6/6 build, but the designer had some obvious flaws going – such as packing a shotgun and suggesting the Warfighter package instead of the easier to get and more useful Grenade Capacity gear, or ye equally available shock trooper package or whatever it is that gives you shotgun damage and grenades.
    I have all three of those maxed out so I rotate them. I've been using the Warfighter and Collector Rifle X (180%) on my Ghost and it does pretty nice damage. I can definitely see the appeal of the grenade mod though, especially if you spec your shieldpacks for all damage the way he did.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I was right, I was at the end of Omega last night when I had that death. Set me back nearly an hour worth of play time. Yeah, they really needed to be more judicious about their auto-save points in that one.

Anyway though, as far as the DLC goes, I quite like it. It's what I wanted out of Mass Effect single-player DLC: a self-contained side-story with interesting and enjoyable characters. Aria getting some development was nice, Nyreen was a good new character, and the villain was actually a refreshing change of pace. The story itself is straightforward, but well told. The fighting was good, and there was a good amount of content. One of the new enemies was pretty interesting, and could be quite nasty if brought into the multiplayer.

All in all, I'd say a worthwhile purchase. Better than Leviathan I'd say, no doubt. It's no Lair of the Shadowbroker, but I'd say it's closer to that level of quality than any other Mass Effect DLC I can think of. Maybe closest to Kasumi in terms of how satisfied I am with it.

Oh, something I noticed that surprised me though: it turns out that the change to how tech bursts works carried over to the single-player. I was able to detonate fire bursts off Aria's Carnage and Nyreen's Incinerate. Which actually makes me look forward more to the next time I feel like playing through the single-player again, since my next character for that will likely be my Engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Wow, Turian Sentinel is the second most popular of those classes, and by a close margin to the Turian Ghost? Didn't see that coming. I would've expected it to be below at least the Turian Soldier, probably also the Vorcha and Batarian Soldiers/Sentinels.

There are minor issues with it. If you cloak, and fire warp, you will get the visual representation of cool down – two half circles moving to meet in the middle – for warp. After a second or so, when the cloak finally breaks, the cooldown resets to cloak, with the half circles moving further back out, and then meeting at a different speed.
    Well, yes, but that's what happens if you don't have them occur at more or about the same time. If they do, then you only end with one cooldown. I've had it happen several times with my Shadow when I do a second Shadow Strike during the same Cloak. Though admittedly not deliberately, so maybe it's harder to make work intentionally than I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    I find it really rather useful on the vanguard, actually. I tend to skip the 6th rank of the class passive and get 3 ranks of Shockwave instead. After all, you can't always be charging, like during hacks, and during those times Shockwave is great for area crowd control and staggering bosses.
    Eh, objectives forcing me to sit still is what I bring the Phalanx for.

Zevox

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Banned

[QUOTE=Zevox;14296108]... I quite like it. It's what I wanted out of Mass Effect single-player DLC: a self-contained side-story with interesting and enjoyable characters. Aria getting some development was nice, Nyreen was a good new character, and the villain was actually a refreshing change of pace. The story itself is straightforward, but well told. The fighting was good, and there was a good amount of content. One of the new enemies was pretty interesting, and could be quite nasty if brought into the multiplayer.

All in all, I'd say a worthwhile purchase. Better than Leviathan I'd say, no doubt. It's no Lair of the Shadowbroker, but I'd say it's closer to that level of quality than any other Mass Effect DLC I can think of. Maybe closest to Kasumi in terms of how satisfied I am with it.[/quoye]

Personally, I just want sound clips of Nyreen. Wanna hear what's female Turian sounds like.

Oh, something I noticed that surprised me though: it turns out that the change to how tech bursts works carried over to the single-player. I was able to detonate fire bursts off Aria's Carnage and Nyreen's Incinerate. Which actually makes me look forward more to the next time I feel like playing through the single-player again, since my next character for that will likely be my Engineer.
    Don't get your hopes up. It may be a part of the DLC and not the game as a whole.

Wow, Turian Sentinel is the second most popular of those classes, and by a close margin to the Turian Ghost? Didn't see that coming. I would've expected it to be below at least the Turian Soldier, probably also the Vorcha and Batarian Soldiers/Sentinels.
    Edge was consistently able to outperform a geth trooper as a Turian sentinel. I figured it was relevant since Payren said he wasn't happy with them, and another playgrounder was sufficiently skilled as to make it rock.

I think the key would be a good gun, overload, and ammo. But as I haven't done it, you should take that with a lick or two of salt.

Well, yes, but that's what happens if you don't have them occur at more or about the same time.
    What? Have what occur at the same time? I'm saying the default is a 1.2 cooldowns. If you shoot first and then throw a power, you don't have this issue, but you do instead have occasional timing issues were you can't throw the power.

Eh, objectives forcing me to sit still is what I bring the Phalanx for.

Zevox
    That's insufficient on higher difficulties. Shockwave does comparable damage but over an area with the added benefi of triggering bursts, and it also doesn't replace the phalanx so much as supplement it (even moreso with elemental ammo). And personally, I always end up with 30 points of that rank six evolution going to waste. Same with the ten percent extra weapon damage (another what, 12 damage on a phalanx, maybe?) compared to the straight 200 or so from shockwave.

It's all moot though. I haven't really used a human vanguard in forever.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I just want sound clips of Nyreen. Wanna hear what's female Turian sounds like.
    She sounds much like a female Human.

Don't get your hopes up. It may be a part of the DLC and not the game as a whole.
    How would that work? Why would the base mechanics of the game differ from one part to another when they're not separate modes?

Edge was consistently able to outperform a geth trooper as a Turian sentinel. I figured it was relevant since Payren said he wasn't happy with them, and another playgrounder was sufficiently skilled as to make it rock.

I think the key would be a good gun, overload, and ammo. But as I haven't done it, you should take that with a lick or two of salt.
    Oh, I know the Turian Sentinel can be quite good - I believe I mentioned once before that it's likely the class I've used most on gold lately, didn't I? What surprises me is simply the popularity. I don't often see other players using the class, so I didn't think it would be anywhere near that highly-used compared to something like the Turian Ghost, which I do see a lot. Maybe it's more popular among PC players or something.

What? Have what occur at the same time? I'm saying the default is a 1.2 cooldowns.
    Huh, misread your post then - thought you were basically saying that the cloak cooldown would kick in after the other power's finished.

That's insufficient on higher difficulties.
    *shrugs* I've never used a Vanguard on gold, since I'm afraid their play style will be too high-risk for me there.

Zevox

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ettin in the Playground

The way you said it (immediately following it with your purchases) made it sound like promoting affected your packs in some way, particularly with the two ultras. My hopes were expertly dashed
    Only in that promoting means I don't waste any precious XP from character cards.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Banned

She sounds much like a female Human.
    Well technically, Garrus sounds a lot like a male human, so...

How would that work? Why would the base mechanics of the game differ from one part to another when they're not separate modes?
    The dlc is mostly self contained. It works the same way they can have unique powers that don't interact with the rest of the game at all in any way shape or form. I don't think it's likely, but I do know it possible.

Huh, misread your post then - thought you were basically saying that the cloak cooldown would kick in after the other power's finished.
    Ah. No, it's most obvious with instant powers because the power sees genesis before the cloak can even break. Try it with a salarian. Energy drain will hit the enemy, and then your cloak will break. You will see the start of energy drain's cooldown, and then after a fraction it will be replaced (before its anywhere near done) by cloak cooldown. You don't really lose any time (and in fact can gain time if you cloak before using a Lon cooldown power; -200% can still cloak, cast and get 3s cooldowns) but it is very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Only in that promoting means I don't waste any precious XP from character cards.
    Yeah. Real frustrating to get several hundred thousand XP in quick succession... For your level 20 class.

I plan on leaving my engineers naked for a while, see if I can get a full 6/6/6/6/6 for the Turian Saboteur when he drops. Just for kicks.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Well technically, Garrus sounds a lot like a male human, so...
    Yeah, pretty much the same concept. Female human, but with whatever slight alteration it is that they do to make Turians sound a bit different from a human.

The dlc is mostly self contained. It works the same way they can have unique powers that don't interact with the rest of the game at all in any way shape or form. I don't think it's likely, but I do know it possible.
    Actually, you can unlock at least one of those powers for use by Shepard as a bonus power option upon completion of the DLC - Aria's Flare (which is basically a biotic combo explosion, but not as powerful and with a huge cooldown). Don't know if doing something different can get you Nyreen's power or not. (I also unlocked Lash as a bonus power, which was another of Aria's.)

Zevox