New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Avoreals (PF, PEACH)

Prolog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey all,

At the end of a campaign (in which I was a player), the DM made us gods and set us on collaborative world building (via the Dawn of Worlds system, slightly modified, now complete), which may very well become the next campaign world we play in.

As part of that, we're making races. The youngest race (made by me)? Avoreals. So now I have to stat them up. 15 points....

Physical Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Avoreals look much like elves, except that they are much smaller, and have large, butterfly-like wings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: I made this image off of a fantasy clip art CD that I purchased. I'm pretty sure this fits within the "Permitted Uses" clause on the liscense there.

Age, Height, and Weight
    Spoiler
    Show

Random starting ages:
    {table=head]Adulthood|Intuitive|Self-Taught|Trained
    20 Years| +2d4|+3d6|+4d6[/table]
    Aging Effects:
    {table=fead]Middle Age|Old|Venerable|Maximum Age
    50 years|75 years|100 years|100+5d20 years
    [/table]
    Height and Weight:
    {table=head]Gender|Base Height|Base Weight|Modifier|Weight Modifier
    Male|2 ft. 8 in.|30 lbs|2d4|x1 lbs
    Female|2 ft. 6 in.|25 lbs|2d4|x1 lbs[/table]

Society
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the youngest race in the world, the Avoreals haven't spread very far; indeed, they have only once city they call their own, Skyholme, built in the branches of a truly gigantic tree in the middle of a swap, bracketed by the sea and mountains. It is a very difficult place to reach, inhabited almost exclusively by the Avoreals themselves, with a small number of diplomats from the nearby Dragon city that is placed in the only pass through the mountains. Due largely to the dangerous beasts that live in the swamps around their home, they have fortified the tree, with ballistae and military barracks making a barrier for anyone or anything attempting to climb into their home... which they keep staffed at all times. The necessities of this arrangement have lead to a highly militaristic society, where almost everyone does some military service when they're young, and almost everyone keeps a sling and some stones handy.

Relations
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the youngest race in the world, and being quite geographically isolated, the Avoreals haven't gotten out much, so to speak. They have recently met the dragons, who (thanks to the shape shifting abilities of many of the dragons) have established diplomatic relations... but it is unclear how they will react when they meet some of the more monstrous denizens of Solecistus.

Alignment and Religion
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Avoreals have few gods of their own, and appear to have adopted the Draconic Pantheon, for the most part. Most Avoreals are Lawful-neutral, thanks in large part to the order inherent in military service.

Racial Traits
    Spoiler
    Show

-2 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Intellience, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: While physically weak due to their small size, Avoreals have become quite hardy, clever, and perceptive to deal with the dangers in the swap in which they must hunt.
    Small: Avoreals are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
    Slow Speed: Avoreals are not really accustomed to walking, and have a base land speed of 20 feet as a result. However, they are excellent flyers, and their wings let them fly at a speed of 60 feet, with Good manoeuvrability.
    Skill Training: The dangers of the swamp in which they must go to hunt keeps the Avoreals on their toes always - as such, they all treat Perception and Stealth as class skills.
    Languages: Avoreals speak Avoreal and Common. Being unusually intelligent, and having access to many of the books that the Dragons are fond of, an Avoreal with a high Intelligence score can know almost any language (except secret languages, such as Druidic), although they will often have a funny accent for a while, as it's almost exclusively book-learning.

Point Breakdown (15):
    Spoiler
    Show

Type: Humanoid (+0)
    Size: Small: (+0)
    Base Speed: 20 feet (-1)
    Abilities: Advanced (Mental): +2 Int, Wis, Cha; -2 Str, +4 Con (+4)
    Language: Linguist. An Avoreal knows Common and Avoraeal, and Avoreals with a high intelligence score can pick any languages, except secret languages such as Druidic. (+1)
    Special: Flight: (3 upgrades): An Avoreal has a fly speed of 60 feet, with Good Manueverability, thanks to it's wings. (Flight, +3 upgrades: +10)
    Skill Training: Perception and Stealth are always class skills for an Avoreal (+1), thanks to their training in hunting the swamps in which they originate.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Avoreals (PF, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Skill Training: The dangers of the swamp in which they must go to hunt keeps the Avoreals on their toes always - as such, they all treat Perception and Stealth as class skills.
    I'd change this to a +2 racial bonus to those skills. That way, Avoreals who don't put points into either skill are still getting some bonus from their swampy upbringing, and those who specifically take sneaky-type classes get to stack it with the +3 for being a class skill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avoreals (PF, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    I'd change this to a +2 racial bonus to those skills. That way, Avoreals who don't put points into either skill are still getting some bonus from their swampy upbringing, and those who specifically take sneaky-type classes get to stack it with the +3 for being a class skill.
    Why yes, that would be noticeably stronger. And the building rules recognize it; the race builder is a point-based system, and a +2 to two different skills would be 4 points, while the skill training is just one:
    Skill Bonus (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefits: Pick a single skill. Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on skill checks made with this skill. Alternatively, pick two related skills—each member of this race gains a +1 racial bonus on these skills during character creation. Special: This trait can be taken up to three times. Each time it is taken, choose a different skill (+2 bonus) or two different skills (+1 bonus on one of character's choice).

Skill Training (1 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Pick up to two skills. These skills are always considered class skills for members of this race.
    - Basically, can't afford it without cutting down the flight speed or some such, which I'd rather not do.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.