New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Fun in the Feywild - looking for feedback/suggestions

Hello all. A long-time player here about to try his hand at DMing. I'm going to be having surgery in a few days and will be looking at a few weeks worth of recovery time during which I plan to set up my campaign.

I've never played in a feywild setting so I've developed a rough idea of how to incorporate it into my setting. The game will be primarily Pathfinder based with the inclusion of some 3.5 elements. Pathfinder has yet to really flesh out its First World concept(at least as far as I'm aware) so I've latched onto 4th Edition's Heroes of the Feywild for inspiration. My rough outline for my world and story is as follows:

Setting: There are only two gods, Mother Earth and Father Time, and because of this I'm thinking about eliminating clerics altogether and allowing druids to sub their spells for heals as well as Summon Nature's Ally. The world itself is very nature and survival based. Magic exists but hasn't been seen at high levels in millenia. I will develop my kingdoms and races based off of what my players decide to play but I don't have any major plans for the real world yet because at least at early levels I want the game to focus on the feywild.

Legends persist of the feywild, the gods' first attempt at creation, but many just consider it superstitious nonsense. It is, however, very real. It is a land full of faeries, pixies, hags, witches, werewolves, satyrs, centaurs, etc. It is ruled by demi-gods, the most powerful of which is the Summer Queen. The landscape varies from lush forest to barren desert, from snowy mountains to humid swamps. The Underdark is home to drow and the Fomorians, giants who are ruled by extremely powerful but quite insane mages.

Story: The game will start about a month into what is being called the Evernight. The sun hasn't risen in weeks, nature is on the fritz, and never before seen creatures have been sighted across the land. To make matters worse there are scattered reports of the dead rising from the grave.

The PCs are summoned to a meeting. After weeks of research it has been determined that something has caused Father Time to fall asleep. The sun isn't rising because time has stopped. This has caused Mother Earth to become distracted which explains why nature has gone awry. Nothing in the real world is known to have the power to cause all of this but research has turned up first hand accounts of the feywild's existence and even descriptions of how to enter it. It is the players' mission to find an entrance to the feywild and and find a way to awaken Father Time.

What they'll discover is that the Summer Queen's son, the Summer Prince, fell in love with a mortal. That mortal fell in love with another man and eloped to the real world and with the help of Father Time escaped to a different time period. The Summer Prince's heart was broken and he became the Prince of Frost. Father Time refused to tell the prince where the mortal had fled to . As revenge the prince plotted with the powerful Fomorian mage-kings and developed a spell that put Father Time into and endless sleep. The Fomorians have their own motives, however, which includes unleashing the Titans, who Mother Earth and Father Time have been keeping imprisoned in the real world.

The players won't realize that waking up Father Time will cause the Titans to be released. Father Time and Mother Nature will then send them on a quest to find the First Mages, the powerful magic users that have not been seen for millenia in the real world. The reason they have not been seen is because they have become dragons.

I know it's all very ambitious but that is where I want the game to head. So what I'm looking for is any critiques, suggestions, etc. Are there any tweeks I need to make to the story? What kinds of sidequests and encounters can the players find in the Feywild? I look forward to your responses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Fun in the Feywild - looking for feedback/suggestions

Nothing guys? Should I post this in the Homebrew forum?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vaguely mythic. How will they deal with the titans?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I like it. I think it captures a feywild tone well. Very fairy tale.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jakodee View Post
    Vaguely mythic. How will they deal with the titans?
    I don't expect them to be able to capable of doing so directly(though I will be boosting them up a bit). They will have to go on a quest to find the First Mages, who are fully capable of taking on the titans.