Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 108
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default For Gold & Glory IC

    OOC thread

    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | Class | Speech Colour
    Lix Lorn | Vivian | Lesser Cryophoenix | RHD 3/LA 3/Wilder 2//Radiant 8 | Navy
    Jeff the Green | Atalanteia | Dryad | Dryad 3/Cloistered Cleric 2/Holt Warden 2//Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Ranger 1/Swordsage 1/Warblade 1/Witch Hunter 1| Dark Green
    Postmodernist | Ek'ann Xar'cha | Vulkoor-Touched Drow | LA 1/Paladin of Tyranny 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 2//Binder 8 | Dark Red
    Gnomish Wanderer | Arapim | Zenthyri | Scout 8//LA 1/Swordsage 7 | Purple
    [/table]
    _______________________

    As you all walk into the clearing surrounding the complex, you see an enormous statue kneeling on the stone deck. The statue, upon a cursory examination, is carved in the likeness of a storm giant wearing an ornate suit of armour (although much, much larger) and wields an enormous magical shield and stone maul. Aside from these, the only thing you can see that is not attached to the rest of the body is its enormous hematite belt. The complex is a simple dome, carved out of stone brick; the doors appear to once have been beautifully decorated, but have worn and been looted over the past millenia.

    Spoiler
    Show


    When you move, just tell me how many up/down, how many left/right, and whether you're going in a straight line or by any specific route.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-09-05 at 09:16 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia does not so much walk as stride into the clearing. She has an easy foot of height on her companions and even from the rear of their marching formation she can see the gargantuan statue in its entirety. The vista does not please her.

    "A statue. This is encouraging," she says, her words laced with sarcasm. She purses her lips, strong bark-skinned arms akimbo. "Why is it I have the feeling that statue is going to be using that club on us in a few moments?"

    She stretches her arms skyward and arches her back, then reaches for her bow and knocks an arrow to its plaited flax string. "Right then, let's get started. Ek'ann, I'm guessing you'll want to go first."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Vivian sighs, flapping her wings and taking flight.
    "Because you're not an idiot?" she suggests dryly.


    Spoiler
    Show
    How tall is this thing? Cause I'm flying that far, directly up. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    The statue quickly stands up. "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. COMBAT WILL COMMENCE."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    How tall is this thing? Cause I'm flying that far, directly up. xD
    'Bout 20 feet.

    You guys win initiative, easily. Take your turns.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-09-04 at 10:51 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "Challenge accepted? What does this thing think it is, a gladiator?" 'Teia blows an errant leaf out of her face and draws her bowstring back to her ear. She sights down the shaft and concentrates for a moment until the shaft begins to glow slightly. Then she releases it, along with two of its twins, in quick succession.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that Arapim is moving out of my firing line. Otherwise, 5-foot step north.

    Swift: Initiate burning blade (+1d6+4 fire damage per hit)
    Full-round: Initiate flashing sun (additional attack at full BAB, -2 to attack)
    First attack (Raptor Arrow):
    To-hit: (1d20+16)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[9] (normal damage + KD) + (1d6+4)[5] (fire) + (2d6)[9] (bane) + 6 (stance) = 24 piercing, 5 fire
    Second attack:
    To-hit: (1d20+10)[18] (+2 if previous shot missed)
    Damage: (1d8+5)[10] (normal damage + KD) + (1d6+4)[8] (fire) + 3 (stance) = 13 piercing, 8 fire
    Extra attack:
    To-hit: (1d20+15)[24] (+2 if previous shot missed)
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9] (normal damage + KD) + (1d6+4)[7] (fire) + 4 (stance) = 13 piercing, 7 fire
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-04 at 09:54 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "REALLY now..." mutters Vivian, swooping for the statue, and then taking a corkscrew high into the air, flaring her wings to float above it, before producing a corona of silver frost that shot down for the statue.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I move to the statue, and then as high above it as I can get (maximum 30ft above it.) Movespeed is 80ft. If I can't do this in one move action, I spend a second.

    Attack is my Frost blast enhanced by Radiance. Point Blank Shot should apply.
    (1d20+16)[20]
    (4d6+9)[23] cold
    (4d6+7)[19] half fire, half light based untyped.

    It also applies Celestial Judgment, so another 11 damage is added to the next damaging attack to hit it before my next round.

    I didn't realise how scary those two abilities would get when I gestalted them together. I'm sorry. D=
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Postmodernist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Ek'ann glowers at the gargantuan monstrosity. At least it's slow, he thought to himself. He closed his eyes for a moment, and luminous dragonfly wings sprouted from his back and carried him aloft. His wicked looking glaive materialized in his hand with a sudden shimmer. He didn't even glance in the direction of his companions as he spoke, "Stay behind me," before he took off like a shot toward the statue.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Animal devotion for Overland flight, with bonuses for 45' movement, average maneuverability for 1 min. Charge with an Andras smite, full power attack. Employ Awesome Smite to bypass 10 points of DR, weapon is also adamantine and ignores hardness.

    Total: 14 base+ 5 smite + 2 charge -7 full PA = (1d20+14)[27] for (1d10+34)[38] (Damage bonuses =10 EBL from Smite, 14 PA, 10 standard)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Gnomish Wanderer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    As often as possible
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Arapim stood perfectly still for a moment, kukri steady in her hand. Her lips parted, merely murmuring, "Guys, it's a stone giant. It's guarding the temple." As her teammates took the skies and attack the stone monstrosity, she tensed up and charged, rushing forward at the statue. [7 squares east, 1 square northeast] As she reached the stone statue she jumped into the air, practically soaring above the statue for a moment. Her kukri flashed out in a mighty swing as she flew past the statue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the swift action, I'll make sure that Child of Shadow is the active stance, and she's using her standard action to use Death from Above

    Jump: (1d20+16)[31]
    Attack: (1d20+14)[29] vs. Flat-Footed
    Damage: (5d6+7)[29]

    After she cleaved into the statue Arapim kept her momentum through the air, landing 20 ft. away [3 squares east, 1 square southeast], looking back at the impressive guardian from behind.
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2012-09-05 at 11:55 PM.
    Ms. Creative by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler: Green?
    Show
    GREEN IS NOT A CREATIVE COLOR
    I Use My Hair To Express Myself!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    The giant statue brings its massive shield to bear and, with an enormous sweeping blow, smashes it directly into Atalanteia's first arrow. The other arrows slam deep into the statue's shoulder and waist, deeply cracking both places. Ek'ann's charge follows soon after, striking the statue square in the forehead and creating a sizable crater. As Arapim runs towards the statue, though, it makes a wild swing with its maul- and sends Arapim flying into Atalanteia, knocking both of them over.

    The statue then smashes Ek'ann in the face with his maul twice, knocking him into the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Arapim takes 24 damage. Ek'ann takes 47. Arapim and Atalanteia are both prone. You guys are more powerful in combat than I thought, and I will take that into account in the future.

    Updated map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-09-06 at 04:35 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia collapses with Arapim on top of her, but rolls out from under her and stands up. By this point the arrow that the statue buffeted away has returned to her bow, and she releases it at the divot torn out by Ek'ann's glaive.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to stand, 5-foot step NW
    Standard action to initiate Emerald Razor (touch attack):
    To-hit: (1d20+18)[19] Really?
    Damage: (1d8+6)[12] + (3d6)[7]
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-06 at 05:10 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Vivian takes a deep breath as she gets into position, a corona of moonlight forming, before a trio of blasts launch, heading for the head below her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hooray for rapid shot!
    (1d20+14)[18]
    (1d20+14)[31]
    (1d20+9)[17]

    (3d6+9)[22]
    (3d6+9)[15]
    (3d6+9)[17]

    (4d6+7)[24]
    (4d6+7)[24]
    (4d6+7)[17]

    @_@
    I think I'mma gonna go edit the phoenix flames to be slightly weaker, which is reflected in above rolls.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Postmodernist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Ek'ann stands, astounded that the creature had knocked him so effortlessly from the sky. He then musters his resolve and channel's Vulkor's fury through his glaive, striking the creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stand. (1d20+14)[30] for (1d10+10)[19] damage. Activate Sudden Stunning property of my +1 adamantine glaive. If the attack hits, the statue must make a DC 19 Reflex save or be stunned for (1d4+1)[2] rounds. Also, as he's in the Iron Guard's Glare stance, the statue is at -4 to attack anyone except Ek'ann.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Gnomish Wanderer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    As often as possible
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Arapim gritted her teeth and rose to her feet, glancing as Teia rolled to her feet and mouthed a quick 'Sorry.' She shook her head, tasting blood from the monster's strike and readying for another charge. "He hits hard."

    Arapim moved forward a bit, readying her blade and taking a breath as she looked over the battlefield, plotting her next move. [Just 3 squares east and 1 square southeast]

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2012-09-06 at 07:17 PM.
    Ms. Creative by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler: Green?
    Show
    GREEN IS NOT A CREATIVE COLOR
    I Use My Hair To Express Myself!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia is the first to recover; unfortunately, her shot is a bit off, and she misses the statue's head entirely. Vivian's shots all strike true, however- they slam into the statue's shoulders and the crown of its head, creating massive cracks and pits.

    As Arapim begins to approach, Ek'ann makes his move. The statue, however, makes a preemptive strike; it makes heavy contact, knocking Ek'ann right into Arapim and knocking both of them over in a heap.

    You all hear loud creaking noises, as the statue begins to move its legs; in a single stride, it moves several feet. It then swivels its head around and upwards, looking directly at Vivian; its enormous mouth slides open, and a massive blast of air blasts her away from it.

    "TRESPASSER #2 DISABLED. ELIMINATING TRESPASSER #3." It then winds up and delivers a massive blow that hammers into Ek'ann with the force of a rockslide, knocking him straight into 'Teia and leaving him in a bloody heap.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ek'ann is prone. Arapim is prone. Atalanteia is prone. EVERYONE IS PRONE! MUHAHAHAHAAA!!!~

    Anyway. Vivian is knocked back (2d6)[9]x10 feet diagonally north and up (that's 36 feet north and 54 feet up- we'll just say 7 squares north, and your elevation is now 21 squares total) and takes (2d6)[5] nonlethal damage.

    Ek'ann takes 62 damage, which (I believe) puts you at -3 HP. I might be wrong- you've been keeping track of your own stuff, so I'm not entirely sure. In any case, you're also nauseated. And dying, unless I'm wrong. Sorry. =\ )


    New map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-09-07 at 03:49 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "Seriously?" screeches 'Teia, this time from under Ek'ann. "Seriously?"

    She touches the drow on the chest, forcing a small amount of healing energy into his faltering heart. She then stands and steps back again, her skin changing color ever so slightly to blend with the foliage around her.

    "I hate to be the voice of reason," she calls to her fellows, "but now might be a good time to head back into the forest and reassess our strategy. I.e., reconsider whether attacking a statue of a freaking giant is a good idea!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard to cast CLW on Ek'ann: (1d8+5)[10]
    Swift to activate Child of Shadows stance.
    Move to stand 5' west of the square 'Teia and Ek'ann share.
    5' step west, giving concealment.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Vivian scowls, flapping several times to regain balance, and considers an alternative plan. She whispers a few words to herself, an aura of moonlight forming, and her eyes glow silver-blue.

    "Guardian! Step aside, for we have the right and authority to enter this place. Step aside and let us enter." she calls out, her voice laced with divine authority.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Why not try bluffing? Standard action to use Divine Truth, and then I'mma gonna bluff. Can I do that? If I can't do it this round, then I guess I'll wait til my next chance.

    (1d20+24)[32]
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia groans inwardly at Vivian's decision to talk to the statue rather than do something productive, like run away. Still, less likely stratagems Had worked for her when she was commanding her company in the Last War. She decides to add her not inconsiderable charm to the phoenix-woman's attempt. "The bird-woman is correct, guardian," she calls to the statue. "We have been sent by your masters to inspect the passive defenses of this place, and cannot do so with you attacking us."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another bluff, with +9 that's an automatic success. In case you want to use the rule in CA that beating the DC 10 by 10 gives you an additional +2: (1d20+9)[16]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    The statue turns towards 'Teia. "MY MASTERS ARE ALL DEAD. THEIR DESCENDANTS HAVE REGRESSED INTO A PRIMITIVE STATE. I AM NOT A FOOL, KTHAR DREYU."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia's face barely registers her chagrin before she carries on glibly. "If you know that, why do you still attack those whom would enter? Surely you can't feel loyalty to those who have departed to Dolurrh or to troglodytic barbarians?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Since we're using Persuasion rather than Diplomacy I won't roll until we try to hammer out an agreement. Besides, even with my Charisma it should probably be Vivian that makes the roll and I'll just AA.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "CHILD, LET ME TELL YOU A STORY."

    "THIS COMPLEX WAS BUILT ABOUT 50,000 YEARS AGO. IT WAS ESTABLISHED AS A RESEARCH CENTER, FOR EXPERIMENTS BOTH MAGICAL AND SCIENTIFIC. ORIGINALLY, ITS INTENTIONS WERE MOSTLY PEACEFUL; HOWEVER, AFTER 9,000 YEARS OF CONTINUOUS OPERATION, THE QUORI WAR BROKE OUT AND MY MASTERS BEGAN TURNED THIS PLACE INTO A WEAPON."

    "IN THE PROCESS OF EXPANDING THE COMPLEX INTO A MAGICAL WEAPONS RESEARCH FACILITY, MY MASTERS DUG SO DEEP THAT THEY PUNCHED A HOLE INTO THE KHYBER. THERE, THEY FOUND A MASSIVE NIGHTSHARD- ABOUT THE SIZE OF A GIANT, THE LARGEST EVER DISCOVERED. USING THIS ARTIFACT, THEY ATTEMPTED TO BIND THE ESSENCE OF THE TWELVE PLANES THEMSELVES TO A GREAT WEAPON, HOPING TO EJECT DAL QUOR- THIS LATTER HAVING BEEN EXCLUDED- FROM THE ASTRAL SEA ENTIRELY."

    "WHEN THE WEAPON WAS TESTED, HOWEVER, THE BOUND MAGIC PROVED TO BE TOO MUCH. IT EXPLODED, AND THE PLANAR ENERGIES COLLAPSED, BINDING ALL THE PLANES INTO MANIFESTATION AT ONCE. MY MASTERS KNEW THAT, IF SOMETHING WERE NOT DONE QUICKLY, ALL OF THE PLANES WOULD BE PULLED THROUGH THE HOLE INTO THE PRIME; USING THE THOUSANDS OF FRAGMENTS FROM THEIR GREAT CRYSTAL, THEIR OWN LIVES, AND THE POWER OF THE HOLE ITSELF, RIPPED THE ENTIRE INTERIOR OF THE COMPLEX FROM THE MATERIAL PLANE AND SET IT IN CONSTANT MOTION BETWEEN THE PRIME AND EACH OF THE TWELVE. IF THIS PRECISE BALANCE WERE TO BE DISRUPTED, EITHER FROM DIRECT INTERFERENCE OR BY A SUDDEN CHANGE IN PLANAR MOTION, IT WOULD BEGIN A CATASTROPHIC CHAIN REACTION THAT WOULD, OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL MILLENNIA, RELEASE THE HOLE AND CONSUME THE WORLD."

    "I KNOW OF NO WAY FOR THE LATTER TO HAPPEN, NOW THAT THE MAGIC OF THE GIANTS HAS BEEN LOST, BUT THE FORMER COULD STILL HAPPEN IF AN EXPLORER WERE TO ENTER THROUGH THE PRIME INTO THE COMPLEX AND ACCIDENTALLY CAUSE ITS ALIGNMENT TO SHIFT. THEREFORE, FOR THE SAKE OF THE WORLD ITSELF, I AM BOUND TO PROTECT THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS."


    Spoiler
    Show
    exposition duuuuuump

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Postmodernist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "Champion," Ek'ann yells, "Our causes are the same. My people once served your masters, and we stand against our common foe. The Quori and their Inspired pawns again threaten the world, seeking to return us to an age of darkness and nightmare. Moreover, monsters from within Khyber itself seek weaponry with which to conquer the world above them. We seek only to enter this temple and deactivate the weaponry, so that neither may threaten Eberron again. Stand aside, or aid us if you will, but we shall not be swayed from our task."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ek'ann is pretty much telling the truth, since this is his in-character mission. If you want a diplomacy roll or the like, let me know.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "THE QUORI HAVE RETURNED?! DAL QUOR WAS PLACED IN PERPETUAL APHELION OVER FORTY THOUSAND YEARS AGO. IF THEY HAVE RETURNED..."

    "...YOU MAY BE CORRECT. THEY CANNOT BE ALLOWED ACCESS TO THE RIFT. HOWEVER, IF I WERE TO ALLOW YOU TO ENTER, THERE'S A RISK THAT YOU WOULD ACCIDENTALLY REOPEN IT."


    The statue sits, pondering for a few moments.

    "THIS IS DISTURBING NEWS. SINCE THE FALL OF THE GIANTS, I HAVE HAD NO INFORMATION OF ANY EVENTS OCCURRING ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THIS GROTTO."

    "I WILL MAKE YOU A DEAL, YOUNG ONES. TELL ME THE TALE OF THE LAST FORTY THOUSAND YEARS.THE RISE AND FALL OF EMPIRES, THE ASCENDANCE OF THE URKA HASEN, AND THE GREAT CATASTROPHIES OF THE WORLD."

    "THEN I WILL THINK UPON YOUR WORDS, AND DECIDE WHETHER TO LET YOU PASS. THAT IS MY BARGAIN."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    'Teia allows her eyes to roll up for a moment as she tries to remember. Granted, she'd lived through more of history than most, but it wasn't like she'd payed much attention. She starts with the goblins and gatekeepers, with a smattering of what she remembers about the reclusive elves of Aerenal. The Daelkyr and their binding in Khyber. Then to the founding of the dragonmarked houses and the nations of Khorvaire. Once she reaches the Last War she starts to add more details; she fought in it, after all. Not entirely sure what the construct's opinion of the warforged would be, she avoids her participation in d'Cannith's experiments. She ends with the Day of Mourning and has to pause a minute to collect herself as memories of comrades and friends arise unbidden.

    "There," she finishes. "The urka hasen have learned to fight off great evil since the giants have fallen. You should trust us to know how to use whatever is in this complex to fend of the Quori; we four here are among the best of our kind."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    The statue listens closely, then responds

    "HMM. IF, AS YOU SAY, THESE GATEKEEPERS HAVE DISTORTED XORIAT'S ORBIT, THEN THE BINDING IS ALREADY COMING APART."

    "...THE HOLE MUST BE DESTROYED, PERMANENTLY, AND I CANNOT FIT THROUGH THE COMPLEX HALLS. PASS, NOBLE ADVENTURERS; FOR THE SAKE OF THE WORLD, I HOPE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING."
    With that, the statue steps aside and allows you to enter.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Postmodernist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Ek'ann looks at Atalanteia as the giant statue allows them to pass. "Why didn't we try that first? It'd have saved me the colossal headache I now have. By the way, I wouldn't mind recovering a bit once we're inside. We should establish some sort of plan. If this place is anything like I suspect, that enormous, hard-hitting bastard outside won't be the last of the dangers." He glances at the enormous stone creature standing sentinel, guarding this uninhabited stretch of jungle for forty thousand years. He feels strangely indebted. "Our thanks, mighty guardian. We will honor your centuries of service." The drow hoped that he and his companions did indeed succeed. The stakes were nothing less than Eberron itself, it seemed.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    "Because it thought me nocking an arrow was a challenge rather than, you know, being prepared to be whacked. We'll get you and Arapim patched up soon enough, don't worry."

    'Teia motions to the spare belts in Arapim's pack. "With your permission, perhaps Ek'ann and Vivian might wear your spares so they can use them in battle if need be."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll Healing Belt charges here for time's sake. Ek'ann first, stopping when he's within 9 HP of full, then Arapim, stopping when she's within 9 HP of full.
    (2d8)[9] Ek'ann => 22
    (2d8)[9] Ek'ann => 31
    (2d8)[6] Ek'ann => 37
    (2d8)[3] Ek'ann => 40
    (2d8)[8] Ek'ann => 48
    (2d8)[14] Ek'ann => 62
    (2d8)[12] Ek'ann => 74
    (2d8)[4] Ek'ann => 78
    (2d8)[9] Ek'ann => 87

    So, Ek'ann needs 19 more healing = 1 charge from lesser vigor wand and 8 HP down, and Arapim needs 24 = 2 charges from wand and 2 HP down.

    I think we're going to need to recharge the wand and/or make more soon. I think we'll probably take more than 81 damage in a day.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-09 at 08:03 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Gnomish Wanderer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    As often as possible
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Arapim sighed as the giant moved to let them pass, disgruntled she hadn't goten a strike off on the fearsome guardian. She froze for a moment, quickly taking some practiced steps like she was doing a short dance, controlled footfalls meeting with the flash of her blade as she sheathed the weapon.

    When 'Teia mentioned the belt Arapim just nodded silently for an instant before pulling the two belts free from her pack, holding them out awkwardly before her. "For when they will look set to kill themselves, I suppose."

    Arapim activated her own belt, approaching the formally-bejewelled door. She knelt next to the stone structure, gingerly feeling the weight of the stone with a focused intent. From her pack, too, she pulled several sounding hammers and a level, muttering to herself, "Must be thorough."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belt of Healing: (2d8)[11]
    Search for Traps: (1d20+15)[19]

    *I* don't think it's trapped, but apparently this is part of Arapim's neuroses. Also posting this from my phone, so I apologize for any errors
    Ms. Creative by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler: Green?
    Show
    GREEN IS NOT A CREATIVE COLOR
    I Use My Hair To Express Myself!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lateral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, The World
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    You find nothing. However, and this is a reminder to you guys (your characters would probably be keeping it in mind), you know that oozes have colonized the next room.

    And, in case you guys don't see it in the OOC, all of you have earned 2400 XP. There will be treasure when there is treasure.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    As 'Teia waits for Arapim to finish her examination of the door, she pulls out two arrows from her bag, each as long as her forearm. She places them in her quiver to replace the two that ripped into the statue and shoulders her bow.

    "Next is jellies, yeah?" she asks. "Slow moving, can't fly? Hell, why not just let Vivian take care of them?" She's joking of course, but only barely; she and Art have run into enough oozes to know that there were some she is ill equipped to handle.

    The dryad pulls a small wooden disc out of her waist-pouch, inscribed on one side with a stylized eagle and on the other with a leaf. She places it in the palm of her hand and focuses for a moment. It bursts into flame and she blows gently on the smoke; it rises and drifts gently over each of her companions.

    She stretches a bit and waits for someone to open the door. She's the one with the bow and spells, after all; she's not going first.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting sign; +4 to next initiative check within 70 minutes.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-10 at 06:35 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lix Lorn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missing her mistress
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: For Gold & Glory IC

    Vivian breathes a sigh of relief as she flits after them.
    "So, about the end of the world thing... maybe we should be somewhere else. Like, anywhere else. Especially, perhaps, not here?" she says.

    What do you mean, 'chicken'? Well, if it flies like a chicken, lays occasional eggs like a chicken, and has a yellow streak like a chicken...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •