Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

I like it. The system is easy to grasp and for the most part I didn't need to look back on the rules to figure anything out. The intro adventure was also very good, gave us lots of opportunities for each of us to do things while still tying it to the overall story (political envoys from the griffon kingdom and all that) I say keep up the good work.

And on to Soot's lesson learned
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Ahem*
    Dear Princess Celestia,
    Today I learned that you shouldn't take your anger out on your friends when things don't work out the way you planned, especially when it isn't even their fault. You shouldn't let your anger get the better of you or else it can drive away those you care about.
    Your faithful subject, Soot.
    P.S.- just a little note of appreciation for whoever reviews the applications for the royal guard. They are doing a great job and should not tighten their standards one bit. I hope that all of Equestria will one day see guards of the caliber I witnessed today.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Woot! One day, complete!

Well, here are my impressions: It feels very character-based, much more free-form roleplay than D&D. This is a good thing; I feel freer with my actions, both in describing the environment and in what I do. It's more a collaborative fanfic than it is a game.

As we play, I think I'm coming to understand how DB reacts the more I play him. Fun fact for you: he dislikes small enclosed spaces. Not quite claustrophobic, but borderline; if you put him in a space where he can't move around as freely as he likes, he'll begin sweating, maybe a bit of hyperventilation.

Dear Princess Celestia Journal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, today I bid Canterlot farewell. It was an interesting city; I got to peruse the royal library, and made some interesting advances into the changeling invasion of three months ago. It was a bit difficult, but I even got to talk to the top medical pony of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. (A bit odd, that; you'd think a ruler that combines the best aspects of all races would have a school that's a bit more inclusive. Then again, we have the Commander Hurricane military academy, so...)

Ran into the three most interesting ponies today at the train station; some griffon ambassador was there, so the trains were all shut down. While I waited for the trainsponies to get things settled, I talked with these three other ponies: two earth and a unicorn.

Then, there was a bit of darkness that I haven't figured out yet. I want to say that it was magical, because a sparkler didn't do much to dispel the darkness. In the confusion, two baby foals disappeared: a pegasus colt and a unicorn filly.

Much as I'd like to take the credit for finding them, I'm afraid that would be lying. (And Dad always hated liars. Probably still does.) No, the credit goes to this obnoxious, bossy earth stallion named Crown Cork. Man, he curls my feathers.

But, at the same time, he helped to get the job done. We all worked together to get the job done. I couldn't have gotten into the ambassador's room to check for the foals if that unicorn foal, Soot, hadn't stolen my bits and distracted the guards. I wouldn't have known to look in the next room over if one of the ambassador's aides hadn't used magic (ugh) to show the pegasus' passage through the wall.

They needed me, too. If it hadn't been for me, they could never have caught the little guy; he evaded two of Equestria's finest, which makes a sad statement about the level of athleticism required to become a solar guard.

Only by working together could we do what needed to be done. Truth be told, I'm actually feeling somewhat connected to this odd group; maybe there's something to this whole friendship and teamwork business.

In any case, it bears investigation.

Signing off,
    DB.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-18 at 09:49 PM.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

"...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

3. - Top - End - #273

I second what Balmas said. This feels much closer to collaborative storytelling than most RPGs I play in. I'm also liking the roleplaying parts, it's interesting to think about how Grease reacts differently or similarly to how I would, depending on the situation.

Now, I just have to figure out what Grease learned.
    Dear Princess Celestia Brush Stroke
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry that I couldn't make it to Ponyville today. I tried as hard as I could to get there in time for dinner, but I hit delay after delay trying to get out of the house, and then once I finally did, it turned out that the train was delayed!

I hope the dinner went well for all of you, and you didn't worry about me too much. I had my own little dinner with a small group of younger ponies on the train. It sounds a bit odd, I'll grant you that, but I can explain. A pair of foals went missing at the train station, and we had to work together a bit to get them back. They really are an interesting bunch, and spending time with them reminded me of a few humbling lessons. Like, for instance, remembering that just because a plan is risky, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work out alright in the end.

I'll see you soon,
    Your loving sister,
    Grease Spot
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I second what Balmas said. This feels much closer to collaborative storytelling than most RPGs I play in. I'm also liking the roleplaying parts, it's interesting to think about how Grease reacts differently or similarly to how I would, depending on the situation.

Now, I just have to figure out what Grease learned.
    Dear Princess Celestia Brush Stroke
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry that I couldn't make it to Ponyville today. I tried as hard as I could to get there in time for dinner, but I hit delay after delay trying to get out of the house, and then once I finally did, it turned out that the train was delayed!

I hope the dinner went well for all of you, and you didn't worry about me too much. I had my own little dinner with a small group of younger ponies on the train. It sounds a bit odd, I'll grant you that, but I can explain. A pair of foals went missing at the train station, and we had to work together a bit to get them back. They really are an interesting bunch, and spending time with them reminded me of a few humbling lessons. Like, for instance, remembering that just because a plan is risky, doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work out alright in the end.

I'll see you soon,
    Your loving sister,
    Grease Spot
    That's as much the group of people and the play by post format as the game system. Although having a specific narrative function and mechanics that are doing things, not just combat, is pretty slick.
    "Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Woot, well we're off to an officially good start then! (See, see why I spent a whole month on character generation?!!? They said I was mad, MAD I TELL YOU!! MWAHAHAHAHAa --- *coughs*)

Oh yes ... all three of those lesson letters qualify for the extra XP and make pretty good reading to boot!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Woot, well we're off to an officially good start then! (See, see why I spent a whole month on character generation?!!? They said I was mad, MAD I TELL YOU!! MWAHAHAHAHAa --- *coughs*)

Oh yes ... all three of those lesson letters qualify for the extra XP and make pretty good reading to boot!
    Pretty much what's been said. This feels like one of my Free-Form games, only with a few added rules here and there. And I'm loving it so far. Crown Cork is certainly a hoot to play, though I vastly underestimated how stuck-up he is. Pride was certainly the right choice of word. But the fun part is that it's not the sort of upper-class snootiness that I'm used to. Unfortunately, it's super late, and I can't put it into words right now. >.<

Anyhow, I'll get a letter to Celestia up tomorrow. Too worn out now. Feel free to move on with the game proper, as I don't think that one point of XP is going to change much of anything relevant.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-18 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Oh, you're still mad, but it's okay; you're a fun madman... changeling... thing.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-18 at 11:31 PM.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Scene change incomming. Waiting for the others to get their last reactions in.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry guys, TPK. If only you had spotted the secret key on the previous page.

Better luck next time?

More seriously, a small interlude seems fitting ... So I decree that it is shared dream time for everyone.

Here's how it'll work (stolen shamelessly from Thanqol.):

I'll give you guys the key points of the dream, feel free to work them in as best you see fit. For this dream;

• Everypony is simply doing something mundane with their family or some pony significant to them.
    • Somewhere a night sky is visible (be it a picture, a reflection or the actual sky)
    • At some point near the end of the dream, one star starts to grow, as if approaching that character.
    • Just at the point where the heat begins to hurt, they wake up.

Upon waking, they may notice.

• They are back in their cabins
    • It is hot, hot enough for them to still think they are dreaming?
    • The train is not moving, and the carriage floor is not quite level.
    • It is also very bright outside. I'll handle any description when they actually look out a window.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Writing third person for more than one person is surprisingly fun.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

I'll get up my dream post later tonight. Long day, moving back to college and all that.

I do hope our good friend the guard is okay. Cork would not be pleased if he got himself offed for their sakes.
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting. Each of our dreams shows more about our ponies values than they've actually said in game.

Also interesting is that our respective post length doubles or triples when given free reign to describe the environment and other ponies' reactions.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Interesting. Each of our dreams shows more about our ponies values than they've actually said in game.

Also interesting is that our respective post length doubles or triples when given free reign to describe the environment and other ponies' reactions.
    Makes sense, considering that when you're doing normal RP you can't do much until you know how your actions resolve.

Personally, I really enjoyed writing the dream scene, because I got to play with dream logic. Like how the machine Grease was working on was totally nondescript, and Berry Punch was in Canterlot for some reason, and Ponyville was way closer to Canterlot than it should have been. All those little things that don't quite make sense when you think about it later.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Glad you guys liked it, I'll be sure to abuse this mechanic make use of this regularly!

EDIT: Oh yes, before I forget. Thanks to an evening of carousing and chatting, everypony's Courage score is restored.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Near/Mid/Far distances in my last post will roughly equate with 1/2/3 days walk.

I haven't included directions, as someone will need either a compass or a navigation roll to take their bearing I think?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Minor clarification to DB's last post, Balmas. The mind check related to the triangular rock, not the second set of landmarks (the speckled potential rocks/buildings)

I'll be generous and give you a partial success on the roll, allowing DB to notice that the triangular rock is a building of some kind.

For clarity, I'll lay it out -rotating clockwise.

• Direction one: large triangular building (near distance), chasm (mid distance)
    • Direction two: speckled potential rocks or buildings (mid), blue shimmer (far)
    • Direction three: green shimmer and creature (mid)
    • Direction four: sand

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to know. Now, how to edit my post to make sense...

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Uh, isn't Dive Bomb supposed to wait until Crown is clear of the cloud? I was just having him move away, then see if the cloud would follow him that whole distance, and then start running.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. Well, better start running while the coupling's dropping...

Need a "whoops!" Reaction image...
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-23 at 12:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

There's no check involved in dropping a bit of metal on a cloud, at least while it's not really doing anything

Ok, so the cloud has been disturbed with Cork still under it? Excellent

Hee, given Cork is his character, I'll let Amish have the opportunity to say he bolts out from under it, or if he's fine with the cloud popping a little early.

Let me know what you want Amish and I'll type up the next bit?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively, just go ahead and run and I'll come in later.

Crap. Check to make sure that the DM hasn't edited his post before going to remove posts.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

I should really get in the habit of typing up my posts in word first. I seem to always want to go back an tweak things after hitting submit.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

So, do we want to play it as is, or act with the edited order of events?

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas
    Dive Bomb nodded, and flared his wings to jump up. Reveling in the freedom of the third dimension, he rapidly remembered his due attention and focused on the uniting (coupling?) of miasma and coupling. By the Princesses, is he... humming? This pony is... He resisted the urge to facehoof, painful as it would be with the coupling there.
    Just in case you want to stick it in your post again.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-23 at 12:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say I'm alright with it, 'it' being that Dive Bomb goofs up and drops the coupling early. Our characters aren't half the powergamers we are, and under the circumstances, mistakes and confusion are likely to happen.

If Cork does hear magical disturbances, he may start bolting anyway, so he may not be completely doomed.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-23 at 08:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

Heh. To quote Applejack: "If you're gonna take this bull by the horns, you best be ready for a ride!"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, well a 20 is still good enough to get away before the heavy stuff landed on him.

I was going to have the cloud disgorge an anvil, but couldn't think of a good reason for it to contain one.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, what size are gryphon heads in comparison to ponies? From gryphon the brush off they seem about the same size.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have thought they'd be larger, or at least a different shape.

29. - Top - End - #299

Probably pinch around the front since a beak would be at least somewhat more narrow than a muzzle.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, we'll go with that then!

And yes, OOC at least, I can tell you that it does belong to a gryphon.(The guard you met earlier in fact)