Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Sorry this next post is taking so long. I want to get Cork's reaction right and in-character.

    In general, I feel like my posting will be slowed down a bit due to school starting up again. However, I still think I manage at least one post per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quality over quantity, I think. It's something I may need to work on myself.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    That said, at least one short post a day is good dicipline, easy to do, and keeps the ball rolling here

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    OTS, for Grease and anyone else who goes searching with her, I'll give you the scene information here so you guys can type up the search without me needing to break it up with my posts:

    • The train is easily searched and deserted except for the private caboose car.
    • That one is half buried in the sand, and the door is locked. It looks like it came down alot harder than the rest of the train.
    • Despite the rest of the train being empty, there are signs that some areas were previously inhabited - think 'abandoned ship' style, with some food scraps left uneaten, books left lying open and the like. Notable areas might include the crew cabins just behind the engine, and a bunk car near the caboose, where those pegasi guardponies were stationed.
    • If anyone was wondeirng, Iggy had his own bunk in the next car forward. Seems like those pegasi kicked him out

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    I'm trying to decide whether Dive Bomb is more artificer or bard. Have I really made an effective bard character? Is that possible?

    Then again, I classify myself as a LG bard, so... (Screw the rules, I'm real.) This is why I know how to find north without a compass.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'm trying to decide whether Dive Bomb is more artificer or bard. Have I really made an effective bard character? Is that possible?

    Then again, I classify myself as a LG bard, so... (Screw the rules, I'm real.) This is why I know how to find north without a compass.
    Yeah, I know that trick, too, though Grease doesn't. Out of curiosity, are/were you a Boy Scout? Because that's how I learned it.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Yeah, I know that trick, too, though Grease doesn't. Out of curiosity, are/were you a Boy Scout? Because that's how I learned it.
    Bronze palm Eagle scout. I attribute this fact to be 65% my mother helping and pushing.

    And yet, I still have problems starting a fire when I don't use accelerants of some sort.


    Also, I find it amusing that I may have made a well-developed character that's accidentally min-maxed. Is it just me, or is Mind the dominant stat in this game? Searching a room, manipulating small items, spotting stuff...
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    It's partly like that because you guys adopt the "when all you have is a hammer" approach to solving tasks XD.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Is it bad for me to resist looking at the campaign map because I know I'll try to figure out where we are? Kind of enforce separation of character and player knowledge by making it so that I don't know either?
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Enforced PC/OOC knowledge is fine by me, in fact I fully support it as it gives more authentic roleplaying as well as a sign as to how much I keep you guessing ^^

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Bronze palm Eagle scout. I attribute this fact to be 65% my mother helping and pushing.

    And yet, I still have problems starting a fire when I don't use accelerants of some sort.


    Also, I find it amusing that I may have made a well-developed character that's accidentally min-maxed. Is it just me, or is Mind the dominant stat in this game? Searching a room, manipulating small items, spotting stuff...
    *applauds*
    I'm an Eagle Scout too, though I didn't get any palms. (Considering I got my paperwork in literally the last minute I could before my 18th birthday.) And yeah, most of mine was my mom's pushing, too.

    On an unrelated note, what kind of rolls would I get to use Grease's Adaptable talent on? Because I really can't figure that out.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Unchanged, save for the time's all wrong now," Crown noted with a frown. All wrong, all wrong, this wouldn't do at all. Retreating back to the shade of the train's doorway, the earth pony sat on his haunches and began fiddling with the watch. "It was around this hour, I'm sure of it...but was it past the half? I'm almost certain it was...but then how long were we playing with it? Not long at all..." Back and forth, back and forth went the minute hand as he tried to pluck the correct time from his memory.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Making a Mind roll to remember what time it was before Dive Bomb started messing with the watch.

    Mind 3: [roll0]

    I just wanted to make it clear that Dive Bomb didn't mess with the time at all. He just spun the watch around so the hour hand faced the sun, and then check for north.

    So, in effect Cork is kind of shooting himself in the foot. Er, Hoof.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-25 at 12:08 PM.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I just wanted to make it clear that Dive Bomb didn't mess with the time at all. He just spun the watch around so the hour hand faced the sun, and then check for north.

    So, in effect Cork is kind of shooting himself in the foot. Er, Hoof.
    Oh.

    Um.

    That's more a case of me misreading the post horribly. If I were Cork, I wouldn't have made the same mistake. Would you mind if I retcon my last post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Sure. My description was somewhat vague, so I understand the mistake. It wouldn't have happened in character, so the fault is mine.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Aww, Cork defused my door trap.

    I was going to have her pounce Grease Spot again if anyone tried forcing or picking the door open.

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    *applauds*
    I'm an Eagle Scout too, though I didn't get any palms. (Considering I got my paperwork in literally the last minute I could before my 18th birthday.) And yeah, most of mine was my mom's pushing, too.

    On an unrelated note, what kind of rolls would I get to use Grease's Adaptable talent on? Because I really can't figure that out.
    It looks like it's more about improvising, so in Grease's case I'd say jerry-rigging contraptions, improvising tools and so forth.

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    I'm so glad I have a single this year. Otherwise, my hypothetical roommate would be looking at me rather funny as I hold my nose and read Cork's lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Right, I had to think about this one a bit.

    My comments earlier on not being able to re-do rolls applies, there's no sense in lifting that because otherwise it enables you to "take 20" on any task, trivialising the risk.

    This generally also applies to harmony bonuses, they can only take effect and influence the roll if you are all set up to work together prior to actually rolling. (This encourages teamwork in the posting format just as much as IC). You don't all have to pile into the carriage to help, you can, for example, simply be shouting directions or encouragement from the sidelines; the point is you are supporting one of the ponies who is actually doing the check.

    In other words, it's just as much a mechanic to stop people hogging the dice roll posts themselves

    That said, this once, I will allow a harmony bonus to apply retroactively, just so you all can get a feel IC and OOC about how much working as a team can help.

    DC was 15 if anyone was wondering, which means that while Dive Bomb's roll of 8 still holds, if enough of you lend a hoof, you can get yourself up to 14 if Soot helps (or 18 if both Soot and the Gryphon help, NPC's can count too under certain circumstances; namely if they also want a specific task to succeed or if you befriend them) which is enough for a partial success or an outright pass.

    And yes, no check needed for Dive Bomb to assist Cork in getting inside; there would have been a check if you hadn't sent the pegasus in first.

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    At the risk of sounding ungrateful, a part of me insists on doing some mental algebra. My 8 plus two PC assists equals 14, therefore a PC assist equals a +3 bonus. Now, my 8 plus three PC assists and one NPC assist equals 18. If a PC assist is equal to three, then an NPC assist equals a +1 bonus.

    So, theoretically, if we have Grease Spot perform the examination, then her mind score (5) plus two PC assists (DB and Cork) equals a +11 bonus to the roll. So, if she gets anything greater than a miserable three, then we pass the check.

    Far be it from me to mention such blatant metagaming, though.


    On a somewhat related note, to which situations does the talent Wary apply?
    The Wary Talent indicates outstanding awareness, perception, and readiness.
    It would seem that it applies to situations where he's trying to notice stuff, getting ready, or examining something. I just feel kind of guilty because I must have used it a dozen times in the first day and the second.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    I'm talking harmony bonuses here. It's a cumulative +1 for each character assisting.

    So DB alone = nothing

    DB + Cork = +1

    DB + Cork + Grease = +3

    DB + Cork + Grease + Soot = +6 (enough for 14 and a partial success)

    DB + Cork + Grease + Soot + Gryphon = +10 (Enough for an outright pass)

    Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the 14 is if you got Soot to help as well as the ones who are already helping (namely, Grease and Cork).

    Re the Wary Talent;

    Yeah that applys to perception checks, it could certainally apply here, meaning you could just cut it short and take a second roll. (Generally it means you are more perceptive at noticing things through observation, so yeah, physical exam would count)

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

    @OTS: Something I realized wasn't clear from my post: Cork is asking her to lend a hoof with examining the griffonness' body while he inspects the Ambassador's. So he could call up "Is there a bulge on the back of her hind legs?", and she could check and see. He can only examine one griffon closely at a time, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

    @OTS: Something I realized wasn't clear from my post: Cork is asking her to lend a hoof with examining the griffonness' body while he inspects the Ambassador's. So he could call up "Is there a bulge on the back of her hind legs?", and she could check and see. He can only examine one griffon closely at a time, after all.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, that wasn't clear from the post. If you ask something like that IC, Grease will get it.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'm trying to decide whether Dive Bomb is more artificer or bard. Have I really made an effective bard character? Is that possible?

    Then again, I classify myself as a LG bard, so... (Screw the rules, I'm real.) This is why I know how to find north without a compass.
    1- bard is the easiest way to get a party rolling an average of 25 damage each at level 3, no effort on their part. Which lends to social bonuses. Bards are awesome.

    2- devoted performer allows not only gestating paladin and bard, but allows you to be L an remain a bard.

    3- poorly grasped memetic mutation aside, Bard is a religious title belonging to historian journeymen driaocht - Druids - before they earn enough could to judge or become archmagi; hence, any journeying wizard out to learn the face I his art is a Bard. Including those whose mystic arts are the sciences.

    Keep rockin' it yo.
    "No malice. No remorse."

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Earth ponies can bank crits for later, right? I'm having trouble opening the rulebook. In related news, I rolled a nat 20 on lifting the good sir Highwind out of the car. I'm assuming the total of 28 is enough to get him out without the crit?
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-27 at 03:09 PM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Earth ponies can bank crits for later, right? I'm having trouble opening the rulebook. Also, I rolled a nat 20 on lifting the good sir Highwind out of the car.
    Yes, and there are three important things to note about doing so:

    1) You have the ability to hear what your critical success would be if you don't bank it. After you know what the results would be, then you can decide whether or not to bank it.

    2) When a critical failure comes along, you can then spend your banked crit to turn it into a normal failure. Again, you can hear what the crit failure is first before you decide to use your banked crit.

    3) You can have one critical success banked at one time.

    I don't think you can spend the crit success to make an ordinary success a critical success, just to offset a critical failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Earth ponies can bank crits for later, right? I'm having trouble opening the rulebook. In related news, I rolled a nat 20 on lifting the good sir Highwind out of the car. I'm assuming the total of 28 is enough to get him out without the crit?
    Yes you can, Amish got most of the mechanics right, except that I don't think I tell you what the crit success was before you decide to bank it. You do get to hear the results of the crit failure first.

    I assume you're banking it? And yeah, 28 will get you all out of the car easily

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Yes you can, Amish got most of the mechanics right, except that I don't think I tell you what the crit success was before you decide to bank it. You do get to hear the results of the crit failure first.

    I assume you're banking it? And yeah, 28 will get you all out of the car easily
    Yes, I am indeed banking it. Getting out of a critfail scot-free is always a nice card to have.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Yes you can, Amish got most of the mechanics right, except that I don't think I tell you what the crit success was before you decide to bank it. You do get to hear the results of the crit failure first.
    Could you double-check that? I swear the online rules said something about hearing the critical success before banking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Could you double-check that? I swear the online rules said something about hearing the critical success before banking.
    *Facepalms* yes you're right. I was just reading the example, but the prior paragraph sets it out more clearly.

    Here's the full extract:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, Earth Ponies have the ability ‘bank’ a critical success, and use it to offset a critical failure later. When they would normally gain the effects of a critical success, an Earth Pony can choose to bank it instead of gaining its effects (it remains a success, but is not treated as a critical success). Earth Ponies can only have one critical success banked at a time. Any time they have a critical success banked, if they suffer a critical failure, they may choose to spend their banked critical success to avoid the effects of the critical failure (it remains a failure, but is not treated as a critical failure). This removes the banked critical success, and the Earth Pony must wait until they again gain a critical success to bank another.

    While this ability in and of itself can be useful for immediately offsetting a critical failure when one pops up, it does not need to be declared that it is being used until after the GM has described the effects of a critical failure; however, it must be declared that it is being used before anything further occurs. Likewise, a character can bank a critical success after the GM has described what that critical success would have done, but nothing else may have happened. In either case, the player and the GM should work together to decide how the critical success, or critical failure, was avoided or negated. Typically, this takes the form of a ‘close call.’

    For example, an Earth Pony character is painting a banner in preparation for a festival, when they roll a critical success. The player decides immediately that they don’t need the critical success, and declares that they are ‘banking’ it before the GM describes its effects. Later, when hanging the banner, they roll a critical failure. This time, they wait until the GM describes the effects the critical failure: the banner falls down, touches a torch, and is lit on fire. Before anything else happens, the player declares that they are spending their banked critical success in order to offset the critical failure. Together, the player and the GM decide that just before the banner would have touched the torch, a sudden wind extinguished the torch. Thus, while the character still failed to hang the banner, they had a ‘close call’ avoiding what might have been disastrous bad luck.


    For this case, a critical success would have been finding the Gryphon Ambassador's journal on the way out. If you don't want to bank it now OTS, you can go back and retrieve it. It's a leather tome with a feather and lighting bolt on the cover.

    If there's something more written somewhere else in the book let me know. I'm hoping the S3 edition of the rules are easier to browse XD

    Incidentally, there's a talent that Earth Ponies can take that allow the banked critical successes to be used on a normal success, 15xp to buy.

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    *Facepalms* yes you're right. I was just reading the example, but the prior paragraph sets it out more clearly.

    Here's the full extract:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, Earth Ponies have the ability ‘bank’ a critical success, and use it to offset a critical failure later. When they would normally gain the effects of a critical success, an Earth Pony can choose to bank it instead of gaining its effects (it remains a success, but is not treated as a critical success). Earth Ponies can only have one critical success banked at a time. Any time they have a critical success banked, if they suffer a critical failure, they may choose to spend their banked critical success to avoid the effects of the critical failure (it remains a failure, but is not treated as a critical failure). This removes the banked critical success, and the Earth Pony must wait until they again gain a critical success to bank another.

    While this ability in and of itself can be useful for immediately offsetting a critical failure when one pops up, it does not need to be declared that it is being used until after the GM has described the effects of a critical failure; however, it must be declared that it is being used before anything further occurs. Likewise, a character can bank a critical success after the GM has described what that critical success would have done, but nothing else may have happened. In either case, the player and the GM should work together to decide how the critical success, or critical failure, was avoided or negated. Typically, this takes the form of a ‘close call.’

    For example, an Earth Pony character is painting a banner in preparation for a festival, when they roll a critical success. The player decides immediately that they don’t need the critical success, and declares that they are ‘banking’ it before the GM describes its effects. Later, when hanging the banner, they roll a critical failure. This time, they wait until the GM describes the effects the critical failure: the banner falls down, touches a torch, and is lit on fire. Before anything else happens, the player declares that they are spending their banked critical success in order to offset the critical failure. Together, the player and the GM decide that just before the banner would have touched the torch, a sudden wind extinguished the torch. Thus, while the character still failed to hang the banner, they had a ‘close call’ avoiding what might have been disastrous bad luck.


    For this case, a critical success would have been finding the Gryphon Ambassador's journal on the way out. If you don't want to bank it now OTS, you can go back and retrieve it. It's a leather tome with a feather and lighting bolt on the cover.

    If there's something more written somewhere else in the book let me know. I'm hoping the S3 edition of the rules are easier to browse XD

    Incidentally, there's a talent that Earth Ponies can take that allow the banked critical successes to be used on a normal success, 15xp to buy.
    Ooh, a tough decision. Negate a future critfail, or learn something new (and probably interesting) from the journal. (Or give it back to him for goodwill, or something.) Hmm... what do you guys think?
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •