Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    That is a tough one, if it were me I'd take the book, gameplay is most interesting when you get that extra bit the dice deals out even if you have to take a bite from it other times. Besides if you don't we'll all be wondering forever after what was in it.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    That is a tough one, if it were me I'd take the book, gameplay is most interesting when you get that extra bit the dice deals out even if you have to take a bite from it other times. Besides if you don't we'll all be wondering forever after what was in it.
    Alright, sounds good to me. I'll adjust my post to reflect this. Later, when I'm not gaming IRL.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    If you're going to take the book, probably best for me to keep him insensitate until you decide what you want to do with it

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Would it be a Body check to wobble the bars of the ladder off the train, or do I just take them off, no problem?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Hmm, I'd say you can get those bars off with no check required. You could do an individual check, but I figured everyone was working together to assist in the ulitimate scavenging and construction check by whomever is going to be primary for building it.

    Most logical way I think that would play out is individuals contributing parts to the primary for them to assess and assemble into a stretcher. Anyone assisting gives a harmony bonus, plus potental tools bonus for the materials. The final check would be to determine whether or not the stretcher is any good.

    To be honest, I probably should insist on the individual check, but I'm being kinda lazy today, and don't want to clutter the flow of posting with too many incidental dice rolls

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    I'm going interstate for a few days, I should still have net access, but just in case I don't feel free to set up the roll for the stretcher without me.

    Incidentally, which primary attribute would be most applicable? I'd think Mind, but part of me also says the dexterity of body might be applicable. Scavenging skills would apply to it, as would anything where you arguably have to improvise such crafting. (Both Thief and Repair could apply)

    DC would be 15 if you want the stretcher to last.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Okay, this one may be a bit of a stretch, but would it be possible to get Crown's Painter skill or Job bonus to picking out a material? I imagine that, over the years, he's had to paint on a variety of materials, not just paper. That may give him a better sense of the composition of said materials, especially for a pony as detail-oriented as he.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Hmm. Tough one. When it comes to painting, material selection is important, so he may have picked up something as part of that.

    Ok I'll pay it. Skill and job apply.

    Heck. You might even be able to mount an argument for special purpose too.

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I'm going interstate for a few days, I should still have net access, but just in case I don't feel free to set up the roll for the stretcher without me.

    Incidentally, which primary attribute would be most applicable? I'd think Mind, but part of me also says the dexterity of body might be applicable. Scavenging skills would apply to it, as would anything where you arguably have to improvise such crafting. (Both Thief and Repair could apply)

    DC would be 15 if you want the stretcher to last.
    Personally, I'd say Mind is more important than Body. And if Grease is the one building it, then I'd say Mechanic would apply, but not Repair.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Hmm. Tough one. When it comes to painting, material selection is important, so he may have picked up something as part of that.

    Ok I'll pay it. Skill and job apply.

    Heck. You might even be able to mount an argument for special purpose too.
    Sweet. As for special purpose, I'd say it falls under "showing what makes things special" pretty easily. After all, in order to show what makes something special, he has to be able to discover what makes something special himself. For materials, what makes them special is their blend of properties; tensile strength, washability, how it handles the heat, density, etc. All of them blend together to create what really makes that material unique. Thus, as he walks through the train cabins, he's not really browsing materials, he's browsing unique mixes of physical properties to find just the right flavor to save their griffon ally.

    I'm going to go ahead and roll, because I don't think he really needs more bonuses at this point, and I've held things up long enough. Just read this first and decide whether or not it'd apply, then go see if the check failed or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    The dice, they hate me. >.<

    Looking at it objectively, there was a 20.25% chance that I'd get a nine or lower on both rolls and fail the check. The 6.25% chance that both results would be below five is harder to stomach.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Ouch, well at least the only consequence is making the craft roll slightly harder. ^^

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Personally, I'd say Mind is more important than Body. And if Grease is the one building it, then I'd say Mechanic would apply, but not Repair.
    Yeah, I guess Mind continues to be the dominant stat ... for now.

    As for the skills/job, thoughts on my part were; mechanics are all about understanding mechanical principles, whereas repair ponies might need to have knowledge of how to fudge together parts that were not designed for their use so both might apply.

    But hey, if you want to argue against it, more than happy XD.

    Oh and Amish, I agree with the special purpose applying, but you rolled high enough that it's rather moot. :)

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Yeah, I guess Mind continues to be the dominant stat ... for now.

    As for the skills/job, thoughts on my part were; mechanics are all about understanding mechanical principles, whereas repair ponies might need to have knowledge of how to fudge together parts that were not designed for their use so both might apply.

    But hey, if you want to argue against it, more than happy XD.

    Oh and Amish, I agree with the special purpose applying, but you rolled high enough that it's rather moot. :)
    Well my thoughts were more that Mechanic is her Job, which represents a broader knowledge base than her Repair skill, which is more focused. They're both at 4, so which one applies only matters if they both do, which would mean getting +8 instead of +4.

    But hey, if you think Repair would apply to building things, I'd be happy with that.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    I'm considering buying a new skill to better allow Dive Bomb to care for injured ponies. Probably be something along the lines of Field Medicine, which would involve triage and immediate care of wounds like sprains or cuts. So while Pharmaceutical medicine would involve more diagnosing a disease and making a medicine to help fight it, Field medicine is more of a field hospital kind of thing.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Well my thoughts were more that Mechanic is her Job, which represents a broader knowledge base than her Repair skill, which is more focused. They're both at 4, so which one applies only matters if they both do, which would mean getting +8 instead of +4.

    But hey, if you think Repair would apply to building things, I'd be happy with that.
    Heh, well it's a good point, and was one of the arguments I had with myself on Amish/Cork's question earlier was about the scope of Job vs Skill.

    In the end I let both apply because it was hard to justify separating Painter from Painting. I think carrying repair forward to making entirely new things might be a bit too much of a stretch, but I do want to be consistent in the treatment between PC's

    Ok, how about this. If you think you need to fudge/stretch a stat, then the general answer is yes for jobs and no for skills unless you can come up with a decent argument as to why both apply, bearing in mind that the skill narrowly focused?

    This would make the answer earlier to Cork a Yes for Job and No for Skill on the grounds that the 'painting' skill simply refers to his ability with the brush. That sound fair?

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'm considering buying a new skill to better allow Dive Bomb to care for injured ponies. Probably be something along the lines of Field Medicine, which would involve triage and immediate care of wounds like sprains or cuts. So while Pharmaceutical medicine would involve more diagnosing a disease and making a medicine to help fight it, Field medicine is more of a field hospital kind of thing.
    That's fine. If DB helps nurse the Ambassador a bit, that will be sufficient practice to justify the XP spend narratively.

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Excellent. I imagine the XP expenditure would take place at the end of the day?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Ok, how about this. If you think you need to fudge/stretch a stat, then the general answer is yes for jobs and no for skills unless you can come up with a decent argument as to why both apply, bearing in mind that the skill narrowly focused?

    This would make the answer earlier to Cork a Yes for Job and No for Skill on the grounds that the 'painting' skill simply refers to his ability with the brush. That sound fair?
    I was genuinely surprised you let me use the Painting Skill earlier, but didn't say anything because I know when to keep my mouth shut.

    I agree entirely with this interpretation. Jobs are supposed to represent the broader set of skills and experience picked up doing them, while Skills are finely tailored to more individual tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Excellent. I imagine the XP expenditure would take place at the end of the day?
    Eeeeyup.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I was genuinely surprised you let me use the Painting Skill earlier, but didn't say anything because I know when to keep my mouth shut.

    I agree entirely with this interpretation. Jobs are supposed to represent the broader set of skills and experience picked up doing them, while Skills are finely tailored to more individual tasks.
    I'm too nice. I resolve to be less nice

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Heh, well it's a good point, and was one of the arguments I had with myself on Amish/Cork's question earlier was about the scope of Job vs Skill.

    In the end I let both apply because it was hard to justify separating Painter from Painting. I think carrying repair forward to making entirely new things might be a bit too much of a stretch, but I do want to be consistent in the treatment between PC's

    Ok, how about this. If you think you need to fudge/stretch a stat, then the general answer is yes for jobs and no for skills unless you can come up with a decent argument as to why both apply, bearing in mind that the skill narrowly focused?

    This would make the answer earlier to Cork a Yes for Job and No for Skill on the grounds that the 'painting' skill simply refers to his ability with the brush. That sound fair?



    That's fine. If DB helps nurse the Ambassador a bit, that will be sufficient practice to justify the XP spend narratively.
    Sounds fair to me.

    FYI Sandy is making a lovely little detour specifically to hit me, so my power will likely go out for a few hours at least. I'll get in my post now.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Sounds fair to me.

    FYI Sandy is making a lovely little detour specifically to hit me, so my power will likely go out for a few hours at least. I'll get in my post now.
    Yikes. Batten down the hatches and stay safe. Appreciate the effort to post in a hurricane, but safety first!

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Agreed. Stay safe!
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    The power just came on for me, though not from Sandy, there's a snowstorm coming in from the Tennessee border, and the winds blew out a transformer after I got home. But of course the hurricane took all our thunder.

    Still keep safe, it certainly looks nasty.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Moved to OOC because the end note was getting longer than that post:

    I'm okay with any level of injury, as well as a roll to try and diagnose/fix it. Crown did moan about how much pain he was in, and had a minute or so of shock after falling, but his mind has been focused on rescuing the ambassador in the meanwhile. So it's not too much of a stretch that the injury could be worse than a simple nosebleed, and he's just far tougher than anypony has given him credit for. And I do want to play Cork's melodramatic actions as if they actually have consequences beyond a slap on the wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Fair enough. So, how do we play this? Let Blastech decide? Figure it's just a broken nose, and let him take the rugged looks that come with it?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    It's Amish's character, so he can make the final call. It's only one point of fort damage caused by a smack to the face, so I do think a simple nosebleed is enough for that.

    Bear in mind, you will take more points of fort damage in the future I'm sure, I dont want the benchmark set too high with the first point taken XD

    Also, I'm a bit techy about having a roll to remove that damage point or reduce its healing time. Maybe once someone invests in first aid skill that can be a perk, but it's too early to be having that discussion.

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Oh, I'm not trying to remove any damage; I'm just trying to act in character.

    ...

    I'm a munchkin. When did this attitude become acceptable?


    So, Amish, it's up to you.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Hmm. How do we do anything when we can't decide?

    We roll for it!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, Nat 1 is obviously bad. Nat 20 is it's just an incredibly over-glorified nosebleed. 5 or less is broken nose. 6 or higher is just bruises and ouchies, no lasting damage.

    (1d20)[16]


    There you have it; he's just banged up from the fall.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-29 at 08:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    You know, it is challenging, and very, very fun to write for Dive Bomb. What's best is when I can get that shy, asocial pegasus balanced just right with the smart snarker on the inside.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

    People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

    Well, the hurricane turned out to be really lame. It was supposed to hit us in force today, but all we got was a bit of drizzle and somewhat uncomfortable cold. We didn't even get off class.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •