Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

Phew. Glad to hear that. The pictures on the news down here look ugly.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Where are you relative to the hurricane?

Kind of like Hurricane Irene a couple years ago. We were sure it was going to come right over us, but it dodged at the last moment, and all we got was a ton of rain. Tell the truth, I was somewhat disappointed; my companions, Elder Bingham and Elder Smart stayed up late to watch. Did I see lightning? No. Did I see flooding? Honestly, I didn't expect to, since we lived near the top of one of the larger hills in Wilmington. Still, somewhat disappointing. Did I see flying satellite dishes, ripped loose by the sheer, unbridled fury of the storm? No.

Very disappointing. And, you know, a relief at the same time.

Also, dear Ms. Rinda:
    Tremble before the +6 harmony bonus of our puppy-eye-beams.
    Sincerely, Dive "Oh-luna-please-don't-jinx-us" Bomb.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Literally smack-dab center of where the eye was supposed to go. I guess being in a valley protected us from the bad parts today, but it really should have been much worse than it was today. Though looking at the path again, it seems that it turned north earlier than expected.

(Yes, I know that giving you this information is the next best thing to telling you exactly where I live, but what the hay, I trust you guys.)
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Poor poor Rinda. Never stood a chance.

Don't worry OTS, I have only a very passing knowledge of American Geography, so if anything, it only tells me you are somewhere in the USA ... or maybe Canada.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys.

Just a short heads up, but am heading away for a short trip this coming weekend. Should only be out of contact for 2 days at most.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

What else is there left to do before we pack up supplies, wash out some containers for water, and head out? I can have Crown make a mini-mobilizing speech, but then would folks be alright if we just moved to us leaving the train wreckage?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-31 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

What else is left is completely up to you guys, don't want to prod you in any particular direction or even force you to leave if there are things you think you'll still need to do at the train. ^^

So far, the things you've done are;

• Gathered food and limited water
    • Found some sun cloaks and potential saddle bags in the tablecloths etc
    • Rescued Iggy, Rinda and the Ambassador
    • Prepped the Ambassador for transport.

If/when you're ready to leave the train, saddle up and get ready to move out and I'll do a travelling post.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Well, one thing that we still need to do is figure out which way we're going to go.

Dive Bomb's thoughts on the matter:

Due south is most exciting, as it has a recognizable building. It's also the closest thing.

West is the second most exciting, with its stone formations and possible oasis. He'd probably recommend heading this way, since it has the greatest mix of archaeology and possible supplies.

North is bad. North has a scary lizard, so let's go out of our way to avoid it. However, it's also the closest possible oasis.

I'm tempted to just have DB fly out there, using his superior flight speed to check each location out in detail, but I suspect that this would irritate Blastech.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

It'd be hours of flight time I think, even with superior speed. Each location is a minimum of one day's walk, which is about 30 miles as ponies go.

I'd think his energy would stand a good chance of giving out before he could seach them all, not to mention if he actually found ... anything.

I mean, feel free to go fly out there to scout some, I think the biggest irritant would mostly be everyone else having to wait till you got back (And don't be surprised when you're rolling energy saves )

I should impress on everyone that this is not a walk in the park you're facing, this is a long trek across a hot, dry, exhausting terrain. I will be factoring in environmental challenges, so the suncloak/tablecloth thing was a good idea. (You've bought yourself 2 points less of energy damage per half day walk)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Does the Tireless talent do anything for rolls to resist energy damage?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Does the Tireless talent do anything for rolls to resist energy damage?
    Yup, that it does. The usual roll twice ability for saves relating to being worn out.

It's not an invalid plan, but it is a risky one.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

I think Crown already spoke his mind on the matter here:

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Because the need is dire and we are able," the colt grunted out one of the Cork family maxims. His spirit renewed (for the time being), he joined the others around Dive Bomb's sketchbook. "Yes, it seems as though running for one's life just takes the proper motivation," he jested at the older mare. But soon the levity was gone from his face, and he was studying the "map" intently. "It would seem our obvious choice is the stone structure. It has shelter and guaranteed supplies, something the other two locales do not grant."

"Two of us should gather and prepare supplies, while two of us search for and aid survivors."
    So yeah, he'll be pushing for West.
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

That confused me slightly Amish, there is one big stone structure to the south, or a series of smaller structures to the West with the oasis beyond.

Reposted with directions added:

• South: large triangular building (near distance), chasm (mid distance)
    • West: speckled potential rocks or buildings (mid), blue shimmer (far)
    • North: green shimmer and creature (mid)
    • East: sand

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Whoops. He meant the smaller structures over to the West.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

I'm ready to leave when everyone else is.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

If you're going to craft a sled out of spare parts, that's going to be another crafting check?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

DC 15, like before?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

It would really depend on how big you're trying to make it, what it's going to carry?

If you're trying to build something to replace a backpack for instance, 15 is fine, if you're after something to carry supplies for the group, I'd be thinking 20.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

I was just thinking a toboggan-ish thing for the group to hold their supplies, an ugly contraption that gets the job done. Doesn't have to be pretty, just has to work. It will probably be taken apart and put back together for tent parts, anyway. I'll roll here, if that's alright.

+5 mind
    (1d20+5)[17]

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch, well It looks like DB has himself a toboggan that will break sometime in the next 24 hours.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

So, a slightly buggy sleigh. When it breaks down, how severe a breakdown are we talking? On a scale of one to ten where one is something comes loose and ten is disintegration.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

In case anypony is interested, Crown got the idea to move at night because:

1) "You don't seriously expect moi to go gallivanting off into that sort of heat, do you? Really, it would absolutely ruin my complexion."

2) He read it in one of the Daring Do books a thrilling novel about the desert. Lawrence of Mareabia, was it?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-31 at 08:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

Well short of total disintegration, I think Grease will be able to piece it back together once it breaks. I'm guessing that will only buy us more time until we can get non-broken materials, but it's something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-31 at 08:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    So, a slightly buggy sleigh. When it breaks down, how severe a breakdown are we talking? On a scale of one to ten where one is something comes loose and ten is disintegration.
    It will explode in a firey conflagration of wood and colour that will connect with the resident ley-energy to generate a sonic rain-nuke so powerful, it will hurl the party into the stratosphere while simultaneously turning a good portion of the desert to glass. The resulting ground-mirror will be able to catch light from the moon, causing a massive pilgramage of folk to travel there each night to view the sight of Luna brushing her teeth in it from the extreme long distance of her moon palace.

(TL:DR Haven't decided yet )

Anyway, timeshift post is up. If there are any last preparations anyone wishes to make, then you can do them past-tense way. Otherwise it's time to saddle up and get moving.

The last jobs to be allocated are:

• Somepony needs to pull the sled, also you need to decide whether to overload it.
    • Somepony needs to hook into the stretcher with Rinda. It won't be as hard as pulling the sled, but you two will be stuck together for a bit.
    • Any other jobs I forgot?

From Balmas' last post, I'm assuming you're bringing some extra table cloths and posts in the sled to make a tent.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    It will explode in a firey conflagration of wood and colour that will connect with the resident ley-energy to generate a sonic rain-nuke so powerful, it will hurl the party into the stratosphere while simultaneously turning a good portion of the desert to glass. The resulting ground-mirror will be able to catch light from the moon, causing a massive pilgramage of folk to travel there each night to view the sight of Luna brushing her teeth in it from the extreme long distance of her moon palace.
    Oh, good! That means that Dive Bomb will probably be able to glide home!

What's that?

Really?

Well, I'm sorry. They should have chosen third dimensional travel. Do I have to think of everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Blastech
    The last jobs to be allocated are:

• Somepony needs to pull the sled, also you need to decide whether to overload it.
    • Somepony needs to hook into the stretcher with Rinda. It won't be as hard as pulling the sled, but you two will be stuck together for a bit.
    • Any other jobs I forgot?

From Balmas' last post, I'm assuming you're bringing some extra table cloths and posts in the sled to make a tent.
    Well, my thought was that the sled's runners would be taken apart to form tent poles, but yeah; that will work too.

As for jobs, Dive Bomb would probably be either flying recon, or pulling the stretcher with Rinda.

26. - Top - End - #386

I'm thinking Grease will be pulling the sled. Strongest in the party, after all, possibly barring Igneous or Rinda.

Also, Grease will have spent her rest time after watch reading through Highwind's journal. Or at least, until she came across something particularly private, at which point she would stop.

27. - Top - End - #387

Hmm... Igneous seems the best bet to help Rinda with the stretcher, assuming she would let him. Otherwise Soot would most likely be stuck with the job.

If Iggy was with the stretcher, Soot would probably keep the group on track in the dark with her light spell, along with helping Dive Bomb scout while still keeping track of them.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Crown would likely volunteer for the stretcher if it came down to Soot doing it, but then somepony would have to carry his suitcase.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-11-01 at 03:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, rolling in here so as not to clutter up the IC thread with random rolls:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 3 + Job Painter 2 + Skill Sketching 2 = +7 bonus

There might be a +1 bonus for having an actual sketching pencil and decent paper, but whatever, it's a random roll anyhow.

Roll: (1d20+7)[20]

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I'm thinking Grease will be pulling the sled. Strongest in the party, after all, possibly barring Igneous or Rinda.

Also, Grease will have spent her rest time after watch reading through Highwind's journal. Or at least, until she came across something particularly private, at which point she would stop.
    Fair enough. Iggy won't be on the stretcher, he's too scared of Rinda right now.

As for Highwind's Journal, there's too much in there for me to sum it all up easily, let alone for Grease to finish reading it in an afternoon. Lets say she just finishes off that series of entries. Dot point of the highlights below:

Spoiler
    Show

• The skyship ended up travelling along the entire southwestern borderlands, turning back after reaching the central ley line that runs down to the Archback Mountains.
    • There weren't any boars, they ended up fighting an inconclusive battle with the Dale Guard of Gildedale when they were confronted along the border. While the gryphon controlled the sky, the dale guard could Stand Firm on the ground, making them hard to dislodge.
    • They ended up returning to Gryphus, the capital, with the commander still upset from the 'retreat'.
    • Much to the Ambassador's dissapointment, the court martial of the scout went ahead. He recorded his thoughts on the matter; "You don't punish scouts for reporting more than they should". He states that politics might be involved.
    • His last entry in that series mentions a briefing to be held with the Jarl of Talos, concerning the actions of the upstart Jarl Guntram in the west.

Overall, Grease might get the feeling that this sort of thing is par for the course in the Gryphon Kingdoms; fighting, military service and politics.