Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

As a DM, you know that you're doing a good job when you can get both player and character interested in a rock. Congratulations.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

"...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you. And may I say that Dive Bomb has all the self preservation instincts of a suicidally depressed lemming

Cinematic/action mode is engaged, which means that a loose turn order is now in place.

GM has had first turn, players now have a collective "turn" to do a reactive check. It may involve rolling away, running, centering themselves, or anything else to resist the damage.

They can then do an "active" task, be it fighting back, preparing an escape plan or something else. Just remember that there is only time for a single action in this turn structure (like jumping up a carriage). Complicated tasks (like deploying a trap net) would not be possible in one turn, instead needing to be tackled in several turns (i.e. get the net, position the net, set the trigger etc)

When everyone has had their turn, I'll have my turn again, doing a post showing the effects and the next actions facing the party. (Ironically, for fast paced action, this probably means that the posting speed of the RP will be slowed as we need to wait for everyone to get their reactions in.)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Understood. Let's get this action started!

Also, I have come to the conclusion that listening to the right music while posting my reaction to the rock monster was very helpful. Specifically, I listened to Vesuvius and some Legend of Zelda music. Awesome. I think I need to create a battle playlist now.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

"Save limits to one" means that even if you pass the save, you still take a single point of courage damage. (It's nominal, to reflect the fact that you don't get through it completely unscathed).

Also, I should note that for things like fortitude damage in these kind of scenes, even if you fail the roll you aren't really "hit", it's more a close call or a bruising from a glancing blow.

You'd get hit and dazed if your fortitude got to zero, giving you or someone else the opportunity to "second wind/restore faith" revive you.

A pony at 0 courage is panicked and either hiding or fleeing. A pony at 0 energy is exhausted/down for the count. Any of these ponies can be brought back into the fight through the "second wind" or "resotring faith" mechanics listed in the OP.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

You, my good sir, are an evil genius. How to bait a scientist whose sworn purpose is to amass the world's knowledge? Set him a mystery! Of course he'll fall for it!

And, yessirree, we have two three instincts: poke at it, write down what happens, and run when it blows up. (For fireworks, you can skip the middle step.)

Hmmm... Battle Music. It requires something with a heavy bass, suitable electric lead, and latin chanting.

Okay, so it doesn't have latin chanting... Oh wait, it does later on! *squee!*
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You, my good sir, are an evil genius. How to bait a scientist whose sworn purpose is to amass the world's knowledge? Set him a mystery! Of course he'll fall for it!
    ]
    *bows*

Unfortunately, I'm heading off now. Hope to have internet connection where I'm going, but if not it means a maximum 48 hours from now till I can next post. Hopefully it won't disrupt the flow too much.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

I'm back! Sorry to disrupt the flow. Next round of everyone's reactions and actions can start.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, low fortitude comes back to bite me. Dive Bomb's sidelined.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry, Crown has a foolproof plan to save us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm now more worried than I was before.

11. - Top - End - #401

Well, now you're back to full, though Grease used up her Second Wind for the scene.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Well, now you're back to full, though Grease used up her Second Wind for the scene.
    This is a "restore faith" rather than a "second wind" since Grease is doing it to help Dive Bomb.

Interestingly, I can't find anything to say whether or not restoring faith is limited to once per cinematic scene or whether it's only capped by the willpower you have to spend.

Has anyone seen anything definitaive on the subject? Or shall I put a house rule in on the matter?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

After reading the section in "World of Equestria," I can find no indication either way. So, a house rule would probably be appropriate.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaitaminute!

Would I qualify for my Creative trait because I'm looking for a fancy rock to complete the rock monster's ensemble?
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

I think creative comes into play if you're actually trying to make something, not find something, so ... no?

14 is enough for a partial success though, so Cork finds a rock that's not the perfect specimen of geology he was looking for, but might be "good enough".

Perhaps he can paint it a bit?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I think creative comes into play if you're actually trying to make something, not find something, so ... no?

14 is enough for a partial success though, so Cork finds a rock that's not the perfect specimen of geology he was looking for, but might be "good enough".

Perhaps he can paint it a bit?
    ...yesssssssss.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Crackpot theory time!

Theory A) The rock monster is actually sentient, perhaps the spirit of the Desert. It speaks an ancient version of Equestrian.

Theory B) The rock monster speaks normal Equestrian, but has some problems, due to stones being missing. See: what Crown is doing.

Theory C) It is marginally intelligent, and we are, in fact, seriously screwed.

18. - Top - End - #408

Well from what Soot figured out
    1: It's not guarding something.
    2: It only seems interested in Dive Bomb and Grease Spot, presumably because they were closest when it activated, it has noticed Crown and Rinda but it doesn't seem to care.

I'm not sure where that leaves us, perhaps it's some sort of booby trap guardian? That's programed to kill whoever activated it (and is close to that person?)

The phrase definately seems important though and if one of us could figure out what it meant we'd probably be able to figure out what it wants.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we can't act until Soot takes her turn.

Hmmm. New information. Must. Resist. Metagaming!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Well from what Soot figured out
    1: It's not guarding something.
    2: It only seems interested in Dive Bomb and Grease Spot, presumably because they were closest when it activated, it has noticed Crown and Rinda but it doesn't seem to care.

I'm not sure where that leaves us, perhaps it's some sort of booby trap guardian? That's programed to kill whoever activated it (and is close to that person?)

The phrase definately seems important though and if one of us could figure out what it meant we'd probably be able to figure out what it wants.
    Well, Cork certainly seems to have his own ideas on what the beastie wants. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much help he'll be here. The best I can think is that maybe he could try and see what this creature's purpose is, seeing how that might fall under his talent of "show what makes things special." If this thing was placed here for a special reason, then perhaps he could figure something out.

But first, rock painting.

EDIT: Agreed. Cork might think to do this should his brilliant rock scheme fail, but I'll try and let him speak for himself without metagaming muddling it.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-11-05 at 05:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Theory C) It is marginally intelligent, and we are, in fact, seriously screwed.
    I like Theory C

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Theory C
    Bad DM. *bops*

23. - Top - End - #413

Well whatever kind of creature it is, I really like its voice. Or rather, I really like speaking its lines in the rockiest voice I can manage.

Its odd, some of the words it uses sound an awful lot like English Equestrian, so maybe it is speaking some offshoot language? Idk, but its interesting.

At any rate, I think that it must have something to do with the train arriving in the desert, because in wide open, empty spaces like that you don't just happen to land right next to a big sentient rock monster. Either it was sent with us for whatever reason, it was created by the remnants of the teleport spell, or we were teleported to it specifically. (Maybe on purpose, or it draws magic to itself. I like the idea that it draws magic to itself, as that would explain the spell disappearing into the rocks.)

Or, ya know, our GM is a hack storyteller.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Or, ya know, our GM is a hack storyteller.
    My secret is out! D=

*throws chair through window, flees*

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

You know the problem with rolling dice online? It's the fact that due to their nature, your threat to feed them to the furnace if you don't get some twenties has a lot less weight.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

You must earn the respect of your dice.

That or bribery/sacrifice to the luck gods ... that sometimes works.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    [Two things: One, your call if he needs a Fortitude save for kicking the rock. Two, he's going to be painting the rock.

Mind 3 + Job Painter 2 + Skill Painting 4 + Potential special talent? His 'perfect rock' would be one that highlights and complement's this construct's unique shape, coloration, and maybe it's movement too, although that sounds more in line with Rarity's talent and bringing out beauty. Feels like it might be a stretch, but it's your call. Definitely getting Creative Trait on this.

Any other penalties?]
    Arright, gonna answer this here because I don't want to clutter the IC thread with it.

Re: Fort save. No save required. If anything, it would just be one point of self-inflicted fortitude damage, but I simply can't bring myself to penalise you for hilarious roleplaying. Feel free to take the point of damage if you really want though XD

As for the roll, special talent applies on the basis that effectively decorating the rock involves picking up on its natural features and highlighting the good ones. More pragmatically, if you can't get your special purpose talent going when a painter like Cork is painting, then you'll never get it working XD.

-2 penalty for painting at night though. DC is 15 for a decently decorated rock, if you break 30 you'll have a masterpiece of geologic beauty.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I don't expect my roll to succeed with a measly fifteen, max. But, for future reference, which of the benefits apply?

Mind: attempting perception, though heart possibly applies as well.
    Wary: looking for all that he can understand of the creature's language.
    Researcher: Might apply for his attempt to understand something new.
    Special Purpose: Attempting contact with a big scary new species and trying to understand its language has to be somewhere in Discover, Recover, and record new knowledge.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

You must earn the respect of your dice.

That or bribery/sacrifice to the luck gods ... that sometimes works.

Arright, gonna answer this here because I don't want to clutter the IC thread with it.

Re: Fort save. No save required. If anything, it would just be one point of self-inflicted fortitude damage, but I simply can't bring myself to penalise you for hilarious roleplaying. Feel free to take the point of damage if you really want though XD

As for the roll, special talent applies on the basis that effectively decorating the rock involves picking up on its natural features and highlighting the good ones. More pragmatically, if you can't get your special purpose talent going when a painter like Cork is painting, then you'll never get it working XD.

-2 penalty for painting at night though. DC is 15 for a decently decorated rock, if you break 30 you'll have a masterpiece of geologic beauty.
    Sweet. I think I'll sleep on the point of Fort damage, maybe I'll take it, maybe it'll just make it easier to take one if I fail something later, maybe it's just fluff.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    [Rolling!]

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay. Rolling Mind 3 + Job Painter 2 + Skill Painting 4 - 2 Penalty = +7 to the roll. Applying Special Purpose and Creative Trait to roll twice.

Roll 1: [roll0]
    Roll 2: [roll1]

Translates to:

Roll 1: 10
    Roll 2: 27!

Dang, if only I'd spent that point of Willpower on this frivolous roll.
    I'm just now realizing the potential Cork has. Under ideal situations, he could have as much as a +12 modifier to his roll. (Assumes superior tools.) Rolled twice. And given a special 1.5x bonus on the roll. So, you could theoretically max out at 42, which the GM's section informs me is something like the sonic rainboom of painting.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just now realizing the potential Cork has. Under ideal situations, he could have as much as a +12 modifier to his roll. (Assumes superior tools.) Rolled twice. And given a special 1.5x bonus on the roll. So, you could theoretically max out at 42, which the GM's section informs me is something like the sonic rainboom of painting.
    Yes, like Rarity when she's "In the zone" ... like with her fashion show for Hoity Toity. A veritable explosion of creativity and awesome.

So, I don't expect my roll to succeed with a measly fifteen, max. But, for future reference, which of the benefits apply?

Mind: attempting perception, though heart possibly applies as well.
    Wary: looking for all that he can understand of the creature's language.
    Researcher: Might apply for his attempt to understand something new.
    Special Purpose: Attempting contact with a big scary new species and trying to understand its language has to be somewhere in Discover, Recover, and record new knowledge.
    Okay, the task as I see it is attempting to listen closely to the monster and recall knowledge he might have read in the past. Technically this is two tasks, comprehension and recollection, but the comprehension is a no-brainer. DB can hear what the creature is saying just fine.

Recollection is thus the order of the day, so my opinions on the various bonuses are;

• Mind applies, as this is a straight knowledge check.
    • Heart does not. It might for the comprehension side, but that's not challenge worthy.
    • Wary does not. This is recollection, not perception. Smart is the appropriate talent.
    • Researcher might apply, but my gut feel is no. I think it would be more applicable if DB had a copy of the speech and was trying to translate it using a book or a library, not so much for in the field recollection. Given our prior discussion on stretching skills, I'd have to say no on this.
    • Special purpose could apply but ... I'm not convinced it's applicable right now. While an argument could be made on the "Discover" aspect, with DB, I picture his sonic rainboom happening when he's in a lab, distilling some chemical samples or in a library trying to find that elusive scrap of information that the party needs. Not so much when it comes to talking to a new race of creatures.

I think it's because the lab and library would have aspects of all three of discover, recover and record going, not just one part of it. So maybe a good guide is when all three apply?

I'd feel more comfortable of the special purpose if DB was doing this over an extended period of time; sitting down, chatting, working on hoof gestures, recording it in his book and cross referencing things and the like. Not when it's an off the cuff memory check like this.