Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

La da de la da da.

(Slow day today?)

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    La da de la da da.

(Slow day today?)
    I was thinking we were waiting on you? I mean, folks reacted to Cork's appearance, the stone was offered, I wasn't expecting more than stunned silence from everypony else while the creature reacted.

Although, this being Cinematic Mode, I suppose this means they get a round regardless. So yeah, maybe it is just a slow day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

I've been waiting for Ravian and One Tin Soldier to post. Since it's cinematic mode, I thought they each got a turn before Blastech tells us what happens.

And this day has passed like melting molasses... I wanna know what happens to Dive Bomb, dangit!

Blastech, you didn't tell me when we got started that I'd be checking on the forum every twenty minutes to find out if someone posted. Gah.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

I just hope everyone isn't all getting sick of Mr Rocky.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really didn't have any reaction in mind for Grease aside from what had already been said, so any IC post would just be "Grease keeps doing what she's been doing."

Though I suppose she might have something to say.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

No, Mr. Rocky is okay.

Just out of curiosity: To what ethical system do your characters subscribe?

• Hedonism: Happiness / Contentment is the only thing that matters. Pursue it at any cost.
    • Utilitarianism: Whichever act will create the best result is the right action.
    • Kantian: (Canterian, in Equestria?) What are you doing, and why? If everyone were to do that, could you still achieve your goal? If so, then that act is morally okay.
    • Egoism: It is our moral duty to choose whichever action is best for ourselves.
    • Social Contract theory: Each of us is self-interested, and if there were no government, we would descend into a state of anarchy. Ultimate freedom from laws ultimately means that our freedoms are curtailed as the strong take what they want from the weak. Therefore, in order to save our freedom, we mutually agree to limit it, giving the authority to enact and enforce laws to a strong central government. We act morally as we obey the laws that free, equal, and rational people would enact.
    • Other

Dive Bomb is strictly utilitarian. He tries to examine each scenario and pick the best result, which is why he hesitates when taking actions.

I'm also wondering how best to roleplay that hesitancy: maybe skip a turn every once in a while because he's thinking?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-11-09 at 11:46 AM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

7. - Top - End - #457

I'm inclined to think that Soot is sort of Hedonist but towards making others happy and content, which in turn makes her happy. Sort of like Pinky Pie really.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

8. - Top - End - #458

9. - Top - End - #459

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Slight geek-outs are very permissable. So long as you don't destroy anything, we should be good.

Reading back over my post, I've discovered that I have a very archaic style. I wrote "Cast his eyes round about" before looking back and saying, "That's straight out of Nephi," and changed it.

On a side note, I just discovered that the school term ends on my birthday, Pioneer day. Only problem is that I've already purchased a ticket to Everfree NW, which happens to be two weeks before that. Now I need to figure out whether it's possible to get a refund, or possibly a switch to be in my mother's name, since that way Matt and Chris can get in for free.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Being halfway across the world kind of makes attending these cons a wishful dream for me

Re: Style. Yeah I noticed that a little, particularly when DB started talking to Rinda about her 'charge'.

Allrighty fillys and gentlecolts, grab your bags because we're about to get walking!! That is to say, scene transition incoming when everyone's ready, as well as a timeskip of several hours until early morning.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Y'know, I just can't wait until the group has its collective break-down. It seems like everypony is putting on a brave face for the group for various reasons, but sooner or later, one of us has got to crack. Then it's a question of whether or not everybody else goes down with them, or if the others hold out for their individual breaking points. And if that happens, which pony will be left at the end, shouldering the emotional weight of the group as "the pony who's never faltered?"

I have way too much fun plotting the misery of my characters.
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps a bit too much.

So, what all are we hiding? Lemme see if I understand it all:

Dive Bomb: feelings of shame and insecurity, paired with a desire to please his parents, warring against his feelings of intellectual superiority and pride, and desire to run his own life.

Crown Cork: Desire to please parent mixed with desire to lead a different way than his parent expects.

Soot: Past brushes with the law?

Grease Spot: I got nothing.

14. - Top - End - #464

All Grease is hiding is how much this is affecting her. Remember, just was missing her family when she just thought she missed Hearth's Warming dinner with them. And now she's Celestia-probably-doesn't-know how far away, with no idea of when she'll get back.

Her reason for putting on a brave face is a) so she can get things done and b) to maintain morale for the young ponies. And yeah, at some point she's going to lose it. Probably when she runs out of Courage, or maybe if she gets into an in-depth conversation about home.

15. - Top - End - #465

Pretty much the same for Soot. She's worried about her family, particularly because most of them are falls and while Drizzle is an effective second in command, he's not much of a bread winner. Plus her little family is only one well-meaning social worker away from being broken apart. So the fact that she's not there with them is weighing heavily on her mind.

The reason she hides it is because she hates showing weakness, it's dangerous to look vulnerable on the streets and she's had to keep up the brave face for her group to make sure they all don't fall apart.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

A true Cork does not show fear and grief in the presence of his subordinates. And the rightful heir certainly wouldn't want to disappoint the family name, now would he?

That's basically the gist of it; he feels tremendous pressure to live up to the family name, in part because he feels his desire to lead differently means that there is something wrong with him. That he isn't the Cork he's supposed to be, or less of Cork than his father was (who, in his eyes, is practically an idol). I expect him to butt heads with Grease Spot over leadership pretty soon.

On top of that, you've got the typical woes of missing home, missing his family, missing his dearly beloved (which I will continue to procrastinate on a name for ), and missing his old, semi-pampered lifestyle. That all adds up to a pony with a great deal of stress, both internal and external, and an obligation to let none of it show.

17. - Top - End - #467

Would the Strong talent apply to the Energy roll?

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Fraid not, the appropriate talent is "Tireless" (which I think DB has)

EDIT: Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't cork fail that last energy check? (If so he's at 2 energy by my count)

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Fraid not, the appropriate talent is "Tireless" (which I think DB has)

EDIT: Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't cork fail that last energy check? (If so he's at 2 energy by my count)
    ...derp. That's me randomly thinking it was a DC 10 instead of DC 15. Quick edit is incoming.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Poor, unathletic Cork. The dice gods have decreed that you shall be the weak link thus far.

Just so I know for later, but what are the various states of sidelined? Right now, I'm picturing them as:

Energy: Passed out/Collapsed from exhaustion
    Courage: Overcome by fear, cowering, etc.
    Fortitude: Unconscious due to injury
    Willpower: Conscious, but extremely apathetic to the situation at hoof.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Poor, unathletic Cork. The dice gods have decreed that you shall be the weak link thus far.

Just so I know for later, but what are the various states of sidelined? Right now, I'm picturing them as:

At least you have abilities that can be used easily.

I imagine that that those conditions are about right.

As for getting people down, let's pull some math. Dive Bomb can get down just fine, Soot just jumped down.

Flight creatures flying down w/ character: DC 15, +5 aerobatics +3 body: Necessary roll: 8

Walking down with assistance: DC10, +3 harmony bonus
    Crown Cork: +2 body: necessary roll: 5.
    Grease Spot: +4 body: Necessary roll: 3

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    As for getting people down, let's pull some math. Dive Bomb can get down just fine, Soot just jumped down.

Flight creatures flying down w/ character: DC 15, +5 aerobatics +3 body: Necessary roll: 8

Walking down with assistance: DC10, +3 harmony bonus
    Crown Cork: +2 body: necessary roll: 5.
    Grease Spot: +4 body: Necessary roll: 3
    Yeah, any way you slice it, better to do the assisted walk. In-character, it's fairly easy to hoof-wave with "It got windy, let's just do the walk."

As for the sled...maybe it'd be easier to offload the supplies onto the fliers, have them move it all down, and then have one of them guide the sled down a similar way? Fly in front so that it doesn't slide off, and then just ease it down to the others?

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, any way you slice it, better to do the assisted walk. In-character, it's fairly easy to hoof-wave with "It got windy, let's just do the walk."

As for the sled...maybe it'd be easier to offload the supplies onto the fliers, have them move it all down, and then have one of them guide the sled down a similar way? Fly in front so that it doesn't slide off, and then just ease it down to the others?
    My thoughts exactly. Just for fun, maybe ride the sled down the giant hill?

24. - Top - End - #474

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Just for fun, maybe ride the sled down the giant hill?
    The sled that we've been informed will break within the next 24 hours?* I think it's pretty clear how that would end.

*Or however many hours are left now.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

*whistles nonchalantly*

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Heck, that's part of why I want to do it...

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Should I just go ahead and post with my Body check, or wait for the flyers to return?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

You can assume Rinda flew back up at the end of her last post, I'm guessing DB too.

Oh and before I forget, yeah those are all pretty much correct. The main thing about Willpower is that it isn't a stat that normally gets "damaged", but rather expended by pushing yourself too hard. When willpower is low it represents a combination of lack of determination and plain old mental fatigue.

It's basically when you've had about all you can take and are just plodding along ready to give up.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I'm playing mass effect 3, and I am loading up a quarian infiltrator. I figure I'll give him a call sign after a painter, because he can "paint" targets to draw fire. Van Gogh. No! Crown Cork! Now what color is Crown?

Unfortunately, his is the only sheet not linked in the OP. Amish, you planned this!

Man, I wish I had gotten in on this when Havoc left XD

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Unfortunately, his is the only sheet not linked in the OP. Amish, you planned this!
    Awk, my bad. I think I forgot because I was still waiting for the unified Cork-post.