Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Man, I'm playing mass effect 3, and I am loading up a quarian infiltrator. I figure I'll give him a call sign after a painter, because he can "paint" targets to draw fire. Van Gogh. No! Crown Cork! Now what color is Crown?

Unfortunately, his is the only sheet not linked in the OP. Amish, you planned this!

Man, I wish I had gotten in on this when Havoc left XD
    Oops. That's a my bad. I keep meaning to get that all together, but...yeah.

Crown is a mocha brown with a golden yellow mane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

So, kind of like a coffee-colored, Earth pony Blueblood?
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

"...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    DC was 20. So only a partial success. Grease Spot is the target after a d6 roll to select a victim for Mr Sled. A few options may be available to her; The basic ones are a DC10 to jump out of the way (letting the sled barrel off to its imminent doom), DC 15 to jump on it and try to steer it to safety, or DC 20, at a -2 penalty due to sandy ground, to try to stop it. Feel free to suggest other courses if you want, either here or in the OOC thread.]
    Would it be possible for Dive Bomb to give Grease Spot a harmony bonus by chasing after the escaping sled?
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Not for the initial check, given he's still reeling from dropping it. He could certainly provide the harmony bonus afterwards with the steering if that's the option Grease takes.

The other two on the ground are probably better placed to provide harmony bonuses to the initial check (or even to push Grease out of the way if they want to usurp the check themselves )

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

He didn't drop it; it broke.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, I must note that your dice have good taste; they picked the pony most suited to take care of the runaway sled.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-11-14 at 07:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

I guess that's true. I'm still thinking of the sled as "mostly intact" at this point except for that harness.

Its ultimate destruction and salvagability will depend on what happens next.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Cork would certainly try and aid Miss Spot if he sees her move to stop it. Heck, provided she doesn't move out of the way, he'll move to help stop it. In other words, his actions will depend on hers, so I'd wait to make the actual check until at least he's acted.
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

I think if anything, it's probably fine to have Cork set himself up to assist; say by "trying to go to her aid" or something similarly vague. That'd be enough for OTS to then improv what aid that actually represents, and to qualify for the harmony bonus on certain actions.

Soot could, for instance, reach out with her magic and attempt to help with telekenesis.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough; I think I managed to get something workable.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Bugbear in the Playground

Of course, I don't check the RP until 5 hours after my character is put in imminent danger. Well, the most obvious course of action for a split-second reaction is to jump out of the way. But then again, Grease would have probably noticed how delicate the sled was, and would want to keep an eye on it. She was the one who stressed the importance of all those supplies, after all.

Now, the question is whether to jump on it or try to stop it. Jumping on it has a better modifier (since I'm assuming Athletics would apply), but Strong would apply, meaning the opportunity to roll twice.

Let's do the math, then.

Jumping and steering: Body 4 + Athletics 3 = 7. I would need to roll a least an 8.

Stopping it by force: Body 4 + 1 from Extra Talent (Strong) - 2 from the sand = 3. I would need to roll a 17 on at least 1 of 2 dice.

Suitable help from Crown Cork would increase the modifiers by 1.

If I spend a Willpower, though, she gets a +12. Jumping and steering becomes trivial to accomplish, and stopping it directly requires a roll of at least 5, 4 if Cork can help. (Man, Willpower is crazy. So, crazy, in fact, that I'm going to go back and make sure I didn't misremember the rules for it.)

I'll mull it over and get back in a couple minutes.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    *snip about rolls and junk*
    Don't discount Soot and the guard. That Harmony bonus could go up even higher.

12. - Top - End - #492

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Don't discount Soot and the guard. That Harmony bonus could go up even higher.
    Well, I think the guard is a fair distance away, and Ravian hasn't posted recently enough to count on assistance. (Not to blame him, my posts have been sparse recently too.)

Which is irrelevant anyway, since I've already decided to try stopping the sled directly, and I've already made the rolls for it. Just have to type up the aftermath. Is it safe to narrate a bit of Cork's help?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I think the guard is a fair distance away, and Ravian hasn't posted recently enough to count on assistance. (Not to blame him, my posts have been sparse recently too.)

Which is irrelevant anyway, since I've already decided to try stopping the sled directly, and I've already made the rolls for it. Just have to type up the aftermath. Is it safe to narrate a bit of Cork's help?
    In the future, the answer is "yes" for basic actions like this. And longer ones too, if it's fitting/particularly amusing.

14. - Top - End - #494

Derp, just realized that I already spent a point of Willpower earlier to restore Dive Bomb. I'll edit the post from earlier to reflect this.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Willpower is powerful, but hard to replenish. Especially with the house rule preventing restoration through xp or rest. Use it wisey.

Anyway, forgot to mention. No roll needed to repair the harness, too easty to just knot it up.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Point of note, those rocks are less boulders and more flagstones. Cork should be able to see the top of the one in question from where he's standing.

Nevermind, I'll just roll with it.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

So, two questions:

First, what would it be like to embody the element of magic? From what I gather from the RIM website, it would be something like trusting in your friends to help you.

Second question: Would the DC be the same to carry on a conversation with the rock-guard be the same as before, or slightly lower, representing his recent experience and memories?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Per the rulebook, Magic is about Faith and Wonder.

Wonder being the act of looking, identifying and cherishing the things in other ponies that make them special. Faith in friends is fairly self explanatory. Both need to be combined in a meaningful way to qualify.

An example. Through her Wonderous outlook, twilight identifies that Fluttershy has special skills with dealing with animals and recognises the value in that (Mare in the Moon pt2, check her expression right after FS tames the manticore). In Dragonshy, she spends the entire episode defending her choice to bring Fluttershy along because she knows that the pegasus is the best for the job. That would qualify for a significant willpower regain when the pegasus justfies her faith at the end.

An in-game example would have been if DB had chosen to let Grease build the sled, knowing that she's the handiest handypony around and defended this choice against the others' objections. He'd get a willpower regain commensurate to how long he had to justify his choice and how hard it got before payoff.

The regain is essentially when the character can think: "Yes! I went out on a limb here, I put my faith in X, and it paid off!"

For DB, I think he's still in the early stages of actually making friends. So potentially some willpower can be gained in that regard too should he decide to make the effort and find it receiprocated or if he has any major "friendship moments" that help change his asocial worldview.

For the second question; no need to do another check to talk to Rocky, it's pretty clear by now that DB is semi fluent in old equestrian. If you want a conversation, I'd be inclined to just use <"Text goes here"> style annotations to denote speaking in another language, rather than fiddling with google translate again. At least while it's just the two of them.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. It's somewhat ironic, I think, that the pony associated with magic is the most antisocial of them all.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Well, so was Twilight

Hoo boy, four ponies worth of reactions to handle in my next post. *cracks knuckles* I'd better get to it.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Welp. Somepony somewhere Nat 1'd.

I'll get a post up tomorrow to respond properly. Anything I do tonight will be rushed and terrible.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Welp. Somepony somewhere Nat 1'd.

I'll get a post up tomorrow to respond properly. Anything I do tonight will be rushed and terrible.
    Yeah, me! I have a terrible suspicion that this is what will happen whenever we split the party; it will become even more terribly split.

Now, to roleplay for the appropriate amount of time.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure DB can catch up, particularly if he goes back to see how the party is going.

And I must add that I'm impressed with how he's still talking to the rock monster after all that happened to him last time he tried that.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, his reasoning is:

A: It won't answer questions from people it considers criminals.
    B: It is willing to answer his questions.
    C: Therefore, it does not consider him a criminal.

So, since it has only ever attacked him and Grease Spot, most likely because they were acting like criminals, it's safe. Besides, it's Dive Bomb. The options are to sit there and wait, or pump it for information. What do you expect him to di?

25. - Top - End - #505

Haha, yes! I knew poking the rock would do something! Granted, I was expecting something more along the lines of a hidden tunnel, but still!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Well, his reasoning is:

A: It won't answer questions from people it considers criminals.
    B: It is willing to answer his questions.
    C: Therefore, it does not consider him a criminal.

So, since it has only ever attacked him and Grease Spot, most likely because they were acting like criminals, it's safe. Besides, it's Dive Bomb. The options are to sit there and wait, or pump it for information. What do you expect him to di?
    Oh I never said it was out of character, just that his persistence in the face of things trying to kill him is admirable. Or at least enjoyable to see from a minimum safe distance

Question, in your last post you mention a second set of hoof prints about twenty feet back. Whose are those? From DB's perspective I'd thought he'd flown on ahead to find the monster and thus was out of sight of the others. (if he returns to the base of the slope he'd only find their gear and the ambassador in the sand, with all their tracks ending near that rock.

Let me know if I got confused.

Haha, yes! I knew poking the rock would do something! Granted, I was expecting something more along the lines of a hidden tunnel, but still!
    That rock or any of the others in that valley. Glad I managed to surprise.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

First set of hoofprints is the golems. The second are his own, from when he touched down, and started walking alongside the golem.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Righto, well keep a mind on where he's walking for me then. If he treads on one of the half buried flagstones you can figure where he'll end up, so that's your avenue for catching up with the party.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

It was buried a bit in the post, but Crown tried to dust himself off to see if there was still any sand in his coat.

Also, as far as the bit with his special somepony, I wasn't planning on anything coming of that. I just figured that, in all the stress of the situation, he'd cling to something semi-familiar and make some wild assumptions based on that.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Yarp, saw that. Was hoping I could get away without needing to respond

Ah well, fair cop. No sand in his coat.