Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

Yeah, I'm in the UK.

Tomorrow morning I'll be at work, but I can do Thursday or Saturday morning.

And now off to bed
    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

So, I was walking down the street when I realized that I was actually talking with a mental construct. And Dive Bomb was actually answering. And somehow, this felt natural. I fear for my sanity.

But, DB wasn't so much talking as he was whining, saying first off, that in his opinion, unicorns have it really easy. I mean, they get to violate the laws of physics on a daily basis, which of course makes his job that much harder. Not only is he going to accumulate all the physical and medical knowledge, now he has to deal with bloody magic. He admits that unicorns are useful, and life in Cloudsdale would be difficult without them. (Yeah. Cloud furniture is useful, but plates and stuff like that needs enchanting.)

So, yeah. I now have an alternate mini-me, who may be a bit rascist. Tribalist. Whatever you call it. Joy.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

This might be an opportune time to mention that I've updated the second post in this thread with the summary version of the magic spell creation rules.

Note that spell difficulty may also be modified by the GM, so I encourage discussion about proposed spells. As a general rule, I'd only really consider modifying anything upwards if its purpose is to directly affect the mind or body of an unwilling participant (e.g. A brainwash spell).

Downwards would depend on the spell.

That said, I still think we need to work out characters before we get hung up on the nitty gritty of statting them out.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    So, I was walking down the street when I realized that I was actually talking with a mental construct. And Dive Bomb was actually answering. And somehow, this felt natural. I fear for my sanity.

But, DB wasn't so much talking as he was whining, saying first off, that in his opinion, unicorns have it really easy. I mean, they get to violate the laws of physics on a daily basis, which of course makes his job that much harder. Not only is he going to accumulate all the physical and medical knowledge, now he has to deal with bloody magic. He admits that unicorns are useful, and life in Cloudsdale would be difficult without them. (Yeah. Cloud furniture is useful, but plates and stuff like that needs enchanting.)

So, yeah. I now have an alternate mini-me, who may be a bit rascist. Tribalist. Whatever you call it. Joy.
    Unicorns (and magic) don't really mess with physics so much as thermodynamics specifically. They don't alter reality, they use reality in unique ways. They don't produce fire, they cause combustion. Etc. it still takes energy, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post

Conversations with mental constructs are fun. It's proof that your character is more alive than a bunch of numbers on a sheet.

I sort of had one of those with Grease a few days back, and I found out something amusing about her. Though I kind of want to save it for when someone asks about her love life in game.

EDIT: Balmas, I think you planted something in my head, because now I'm going around campus imagining Grease Spot next to me, having conversation. It's actually quite enjoyable.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-09-12 at 11:36 AM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

*sniffs*

It's so beautiful when abstract concepts gain sentience.

Anyway, little update from me for today, but I'm likely to be out of the office for most of today and thus not on IRC with any great regularity.

Tomorrow will be better, but the day after will be pretty much all day due to me being deskbound at home with study.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Man. Internet relay is handy and all, but it sure makes this the second most boring character gen session I've seen in a thread XD

I'm curious: how close are you to beginning?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Oh shush you ... RPs are made or lost in the character creation stage! We'll take the time it takes.

Not soon, in other words.

Still to do;

• Finish character creation exercise with Diego, Amish and Ravian.
    • Double check how Balmas is going
    • Finish sorting out thoughts about other team members
    • Come up with some excuse as to why each player is partaking in the introductory scene.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    Cool.

I was thinking about the scene in more detail so we could hash it out once you did more development with City Slicker. Anyway, I wound up with this: (warning, it's is kind of long)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grease Spot looked up at the clock hanging on the bar wall. It read 8:30. It’s officially been an hour since he was supposed to be here, she thought. Glumly, she turned forward and took a long drink. I’ve been stood up. Again. She took her mouth off the straw and eyed the drink. Now she regretted getting another refill. She hated to waste a perfectly good (well, not horrible) drink, so she was stuck here until she finished.

She dutifully sucked away at the beverage. I can’t believe I went and got dressed up for this, she thought, considering her attire. The dress was simple and practical, as far as such things go, but it was one of her favorites. Not that she had many dresses. Hay, I even did up my hair for this date. And what does he do? Fail to even show up. She sighed, propping her head up on a hoof. Oh, well. He didn’t have much promise, anyway. Way too curious about my choice of bars. Next time I see him, I’ll just tell him not to bother with a second try. Now I just have to look forward to another long night of…

“Hey guys, check it out!” a loud obnoxious voice interrupted, cutting its way across the background noise of the busy bar and Grease Spot’s resigned thoughts. She turned her head to see a green unicorn with sunglasses for a cutie mark standing a few yards away, flanked by two other unicorns. He pointed a hoof directly at her, marking her as the object of his exclamation.

“Hey yeah, it’s the earth filly,” said one of his cronies, a powder blue colt with wide shoulders. He spoke in a deep, slurred voice, betraying how much he had to drink already that evening. “What’s up, girl?”

Grease rolled her eyes and groaned as obviously as she could. She knew who these colts were, and she really didn’t want anything to do with them. Her evening had gone badly enough without getting questioned for the millionth time about why an earth pony was taking collegiate courses about unicorn magic. Unfortunately for her, it seemed that the group’s brains had been addled enough to take that as encouragement. The green unicorn swaggered up with the kind of confidence only alcohol can grant.

“So what’s a mare like you doing in a place like this?” he asked, the smell of cheap hay beer carried by his overly loud voice.

“Drinking,” Grease said shortly, adding you dolt in her mind.

“All by yourself? You sure you don’t want some company?” said the third member of the group, a skinny orange colt with a horse-you-not backwards ball cap on his head. There’s a fashion that can’t die fast enough. He plopped himself down on the barstool next to her.

Grease grunted unpleasantly, completely failing to affect them. They completely surrounded her now, making her feel distinctly uncomfortable. Now she was starting to reconsider abandoning that drink.

“Ya know, I’ve been wondering,” the green unicorn said casually. “I’ve been wondering why you’re in unicorn school. Like, you’re an earth filly, right?”

“It’s not just for unicorns,” she said in exasperation, immediately regretting it when Sunglasses Dude’s eyes lit up. Now that she had engaged in the conversation, it would be much harder to escape with any kind of dignity.

“Well yeah, like, there’s no rule that says only unicorns take magic class,” he said, seizing on her argument. “But, like, no one actually does it.”

Grease Spot did have a good reason to be taking magic classes. She worked with machines, and just about all of the really interesting ones were run by magic. Learning how that magic worked was more or less vital to being able to repair them. But she would go to Tartarus before she explained her life story to these bozos.

“It’s none of your business,” she said, before turning and waving to the bartender. “Check, please!” she shouted. The bits she paid for the drink weren’t worth any more time in that bar.

“Hey, whatcha leaving for?” Ball Cap whined. “We only just got here.”

“Yeah, that’s not an answer,” Broad Shoulders said in turn.

Grease Spot didn’t respond, instead pulling a hoofful of bits out of her purse and passing them to the bartender. She got up to walk away only to be blocked by Sunglasses. “Come on, stay a bit,” he wheedled. “We just wanna know.”

Grease gave in to her temper. “Would you flicks get out of my way? I’ve got places to be.”

Broad Shoulders guffawed, then narrowed his eyes in thought. Grease could practically hear the gears turning in his head. “I thought flick was just a unicorn insult,” he said slowly, before chuckling. “Guys, maybe she thinks she’s a unicorn.”

Sunglasses laughed. “Dude, that’s crazy. Where do you even come up with this stuff?”

“Nah, dude,” Ball Cap said. “He’s right, she’s gotta get back home so she can put her horn on.”

Sunglasses spoke again, not giving Grease a chance to interject. “No need for that. I’ve got enough horn for both of us right here.” He smirked at her suggestively.

Grease’s mouth fell open in anger. This had officially gone too far. She shoved her way past Sunglasses, deliberately knocking his leg as she went. Sunglasses stumbled awkwardly, giving Grease a small grin of satisfaction. That grin vaporized a moment later as Broad Shoulders barreled into her, causing her to stumble even harder. For a moment her head spun. Dang, didn’t realize I was getting tipsy.

“You want to fight now? Huh?” Broad Shoulders slurred loudly and lowered his horn. The chatter around them began to quiet as the other patrons took notice of the growing altercation.

Ball Cap, at least, seemed to realize what was going on. He placed a hoof on Broad Shoulder’s shoulder. “Dude, lay off. It’s not like she’s important.”

Grease Spot’s eye twitched involuntarily. She lowered her head for a charge. Time to do something I’m going to regret in the morning.

I swear, I'm not trying to get so far ahead of myself. These things just keep coming to me.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Conversations with mental constructs are fun. It's proof that your character is more alive than a bunch of numbers on a sheet.

I sort of had one of those with Grease a few days back, and I found out something amusing about her. Though I kind of want to save it for when someone asks about her love life in game.

EDIT: Balmas, I think you planted something in my head, because now I'm going around campus imagining Grease Spot next to me, having conversation. It's actually quite enjoyable.
    I think it says something about society that having an imaginary friend is so alien that we find it novel, despite them still being in popular media for children as early as five years ago.

I think it says something better that such Thigs are slowly coming back. They seem like an integral part of the human psyche, to externalize things, and then to anthropomorphism those externals. To empathize and find a point of similarity. It's refreshing

11. - Top - End - #101

I think it says something about society that having an imaginary friend is so alien that we find it novel, despite them still being in popular media for children as early as five years ago.

I think it says something better that such Thigs are slowly coming back. They seem like an integral part of the human psyche, to externalize things, and then to anthropomorphism those externals. To empathize and find a point of similarity. It's refreshing
    Sure, I remember having imaginary friends. Over a dozen years ago. I guess I forgot how much fun they could be.
    Though Grease Spot mostly just got annoyed that I spend so much time on the interwebs.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

This again? Am I the only person on this board who doesn't get these mental constructs?

It's almost enough to make me think that I'M the one who's crazy. I'm just kidding guys. :P

---

I've given a little thought to City's character. It's still all very rough but I'm thinking of him as being a natural lier. Not lying out of malice or anything, but he just makes stuff up as part of his job. Like, if he were showing ponies around the Canterlot gardens he'd say things like "This statue represents Victory. Most believe it refers to the battle against Discord all those centuries ago, but the truth is that it refers to the secret war against the mole-ponies, which lasted over 200 years and ended when the Grand Chieftan Mole-pony was assassinated with a giant blancmange."

More of a quirk than anything, but just something fun to throw in.
    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

*arrives in the IRC*

Will be here for most of today, although will be afk for a while in about 2 hours.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

This again? Am I the only person on this board who doesn't get these mental constructs?

It's almost enough to make me think that I'M the one who's crazy. I'm just kidding guys. :P
    Oh, dammit. You got me. XD

I've given a little thought to City's character. It's still all very rough but I'm thinking of him as being a natural lier. Not lying out of malice or anything, but he just makes stuff up as part of his job. Like, if he were showing ponies around the Canterlot gardens he'd say things like "This statue represents Victory. Most believe it refers to the battle against Discord all those centuries ago, but the truth is that it refers to the secret war against the mole-ponies, which lasted over 200 years and ended when the Grand Chieftan Mole-pony was assassinated with a giant blancmange."

More of a quirk than anything, but just something fun to throw in.
    Huh. That would be interesting.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

In between textbooks and assignments and (this is probably the largest part) other MLP fics, I finally finished Off The Map! On to Dangerous Business!
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-09-13 at 10:51 PM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Just to touch base, I have been doing some more thinking about Crown Cork, but things have been a mite crazy on my end. I'll try and pop in the IRC when I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Just to touch base, I have been doing some more thinking about Crown Cork, but things have been a mite crazy on my end. I'll try and pop in the IRC when I can.
    Give me a heads up here before you do and I'll hop on (If I'm awake, but given you're in Japan our timezones should be similar right now).

I'm on and off this afternoon because my connection keeps dropping out without me knowing.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Okay! Got a PDF of Dangerous Business, converted it to Epub for use on the nook, and looked at the page count: 828.

Yeah. May be a while.

No, wait. It's only 351. Might as well get started!
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-09-14 at 02:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

IRL update: My roommate here in Japan had to have his appendix taken out yesterday. Went to go visit him today, only to get caught in the rain on the way back. Between that, work, and some other things, I'm likely not to get into the IRC today. Sorry for all the delays, I'll just keep thinking about Crown on my own for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

In about 12 hours, I'll wake up on a Saturday morning. At this point I'll probably open my CA textbook and start idling in the IRC. I should be there for most of Saturday so this is probably the first best chance to catch up where the connection wont drop out lol.

Lets make this happen!

21. - Top - End - #111

I'll be there for the morning (for Blas at least), when I'm not watching a movie.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Well, one hour later than promised, but I'm here!

Balmas, Ravian, Amish, Diego ... Just ping me in chat. If I don't respond, then post here. Just get my attention and I'll be active within 30 mins (about how often I am checking the IRC updates)

LETS DOO THEES

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

*pokes Ravian*

Is your IRC still on?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Phew, productive day!

Here's the chat logs for Ravian/Soot

Spoiler
    Show
    02:22:16: <BlasTech> Aww ... what did I do? D:
    02:22:38: <Ravian> Hey BlasTech!
    02:23:23: <BlasTech> Hi Ravian, so where were we up to with soots? I think we had a good discussion about her goals last time?
    02:23:44: <PastelStreaming> I was hoping for a Fallout Equestria RP. ^^
    02:24:09: <BlasTech> Lol, there's one of those going on in the FFRP section of the forums, orrr just go make your own :P
    02:24:42: <Ravian> I think we had decided her ideal was a world where everypony cared about each other, one without selfishness or poverty
    02:25:22: <BlasTech> That's right, I think we were just trying to work out a way she might word it.
    02:25:31: <BlasTech> At which point I started singing Nickelback songs :P
    02:25:42: <Ravian> Oh yeah...
    02:26:12: <TheAmishPony> The bane of all RP discussions...
    02:26:37: <BlasTech> "If everyone cares then nopony cries" was kind of relevant to the discussion! :P
    02:26:59: <Ravian> I will agree to that
    02:27:28: <BlasTech> But yeah, from what I remember. Soots emphasises empathy with others, her ideal is an externally focused one in that it's something she seeks to either encourage or bring out in other ponies.
    02:28:01: <BlasTech> Justify for me then, in her words, why does she steal stuff from ponies?
    02:28:13: <BlasTech> (hopefully an easy question)
    02:29:00: <Ravian> Well she does it to take care of her "family", figuring that they need it more than those she steals from
    02:30:39: <Ravian> She generally picks her targets very deliberately, for example she's not going to rob some little family-run store blind
    02:31:44: <Ravian> but a few apples from a big grocery store is fine in her eyes
    02:32:40: <BlasTech> Sooo ... would it be a sort of "If they don't care, then they won't miss this?" kind of mentality?
    02:32:58: <Ravian> Sort of
    02:33:58: <BlasTech> Only 'sort of'? How better then?
    02:35:12: <BlasTech> (Also, Amish are you still here?
    02:36:27: <BlasTech> "If they won't care, I won't either?"
    02:36:48: <Ravian> Well she does take a certain amount of enjoyment from stealing from those that fit her description of what's wrong with the world
    02:37:34: <Ravian> For example if she had the opportunity to rob somepony like Blueblood blind she would do it in an instant
    02:37:52: <BlasTech> yup yup, but you're just telling me stuff about the character
    02:38:01: <BlasTech> try to think of how she might say it to herself
    02:38:09: <BlasTech> in /her/ words
    02:38:34: <BlasTech> or do you need some examples?
    02:40:53: <Ravian> I guess "If they won't care, I won't either" is a good description
    02:43:58: <Ravian> She's had to live low her entire life, so in her eyes they already have more than enough and shouldn't be so stingy with it
    02:44:31: <BlasTech> Ok, so that's interesting
    02:44:46: <BlasTech> Basically, what we're moving towards here is an expression of her "flawed ideal"
    02:45:26: <Ravian> I guess it is pretty hypocritical of her
    02:45:27: <BlasTech> So in a perfect world for her, everyone empathises with everyone else, they look out for each other, they take care of each other.
    02:45:38: <BlasTech> Flawed ideals can be like that
    02:45:59: <BlasTech> basically, the distance between the flawed ideal and the ideal gives you the path of growth for that character
    02:47:03: <Ravian> Ok, so what you're saying is that she's using her ideal as a justification for her own less than noble ways?
    02:47:43: <BlasTech> in a way. Basically the premise of the flawed ideal is taking the actual ideal, and then simply tainting it by exposing it to reality.
    02:48:38: <BlasTech> In soots case, she'd believe deeply in that everpony has to care for each other, but in the real world people have a finite limit to how much they can really care for
    02:49:04: <BlasTech> being in the underclass as a result, she could then use their apathy to justify her actions against them
    02:49:13: <BlasTech> in turn becoming a bit tainted by that apathy herself.
    02:49:44: <BlasTech> the fight between making sure she cares, and not caring that she's taking things from other ponies, would then be the theme of the character.
    02:50:37: <BlasTech> and it's a valid one for a thief character in the MLP verse
    02:51:56: <Ravian> Okay that sounds about right, especially when I think about her maternal side and how she tries to care for others as well
    02:52:36: <BlasTech> Yeah, I mean this puts a bit of a more negative spin on her character, but offers more opportunity for growth as a result
    02:52:47: <BlasTech> in this case, she's stealing because she's been hardened against caring for her victims
    02:52:55: <BlasTech> by circumstance
    02:53:40: <BlasTech> if, for example, you'd thought of the flaw as more along the lines of "If they don't care, then I'll make them care", she'd be more about stealing stuff to teach a lesson to her victims. (but this is not as tightly tied to her idea of maternally looking after her gang)
    02:54:52: <Ravian> Yeah that sounds about right, so is there anything else?
    02:55:40: <BlasTech> Well are you happy with the phrasing of the ideal? "Everypony has to care"? or "If Everypony cares then nopony cries?" :P
    02:55:55: <BlasTech> or something else? what would feel it fits best for you?
    02:56:05: <BlasTech> (I kinda feel like I've been putting words in your mouth a bit here)
    02:57:10: <Ravian> Yeah frankly the Nickelback one sounds the best whenever I think about it :P
    02:58:46: <BlasTech> Hah, cool. Okay so her ideal is "If everyone cares then nopony cries." Her flawed ideal is "If you won't care, then I won't either" (don't or won't? hmm)
    02:59:19: <Ravian> Probably won't
    02:59:27: <BlasTech> cool
    02:59:39: <Ravian> It implies something more deliberate in my mind
    03:00:05: <BlasTech> Okay, the next step before getting into background questions is to pick five key words to sum up Soots. Then you pick five more related to each of those first five, so you have a word box of 25 words describing soots
    03:00:35: <BlasTech> a good rule of thumb is to pick at least one "negative" key word, usually tied to the character's vice
    03:00:58: <BlasTech> from what we've discussed, I think Empathy should definitely go on there. but the rest I'd like to hear from you
    03:01:39: <Ravian> Ok let me think here, I suppose the negative one would be "Jaded?"
    03:02:25: <BlasTech> Sure!
    03:02:44: <BlasTech> and already you can see an internal conflict in the character :P
    03:03:25: <Ravian> Other ones I think of are Protective
    03:05:35: <BlasTech> Empathy, Jaded, Protective
    03:05:57: <BlasTech> two more
    03:07:05: <Ravian> One of the traits I think of is that she kind of needs companionship, trying to figure out how to put that in a single word
    03:08:39: <BlasTech> Alone?
    03:08:51: <BlasTech> Lonely?
    03:09:08: <Ravian> Lonely sounds good
    03:11:57: <Ravian> The other thing is that she kind of puts up a tough front to hide behind whenever things get tough, like she feels she has be strong for others
    03:12:57: <BlasTech> So, strength then?
    03:13:37: <Ravian> That sounds good. Empathy, Jaded, Protective, Lonely and Strength
    03:14:21: <onetinsoldier> Hey, guys
    03:14:36: <Ravian> Unfortunately I might need to hold off on coming up with the others because it's getting late where I am
    03:15:06: <BlasTech> that's fine
    03:15:12: <BlasTech> work on the next five, but consider this
    03:15:52: <BlasTech> As a character who is jaded - this probably runs counter to the idea that she has an "ooh shiny" attention defecit disorder, and more like she's a bit reserved and introverted.
    03:15:57: <onetinsoldier> Hold on, I'm gonna connect with my actual computer
    03:16:11: <BlasTech> and second, as a character focusing on empathy. What guiding element do you think she might have?
    03:16:20: <BlasTech> especially when you take it into mother/caretaker mode?
    03:17:19: <Ravian> Yeah I suppose the add is a little off, and Kindness seems to be the right one out of them all for her
    03:17:30: <BlasTech> Yup, that was what I was thinking too
    03:17:34: <BlasTech> Soots - the Kind Thief

And DiveBomb/Balmas

Spoiler
    Show
    03:27:50: <BlasTech> which brings us back to dive bomb
    03:28:53: <Balmas> Well, I had a chat with him today
    03:29:02: <Balmas> (And I really hope that doesn't sound too crazy)
    03:29:13: <OneTinPony> Not to me
    03:29:30: <Balmas> about his family, and how he feels towards his family.
    03:30:24: <BlasTech> Lol, all good.
    03:30:38: <BlasTech> Anyway, Dive Bomb is mostly there in terms of his ideal, and keywords.
    03:30:43: <Balmas> Yup.
    03:30:47: <StarryNotions> *lurk*
    03:31:03: Balmas throws mad milk on Starry Notions.
    03:31:13: <BlasTech> But I still feel like we need to sort out how those then drive his backstory. So for this bit, I just want you to tell me about him. His likes/dislikes. What foods or books he likes. How he gets on with his family.
    03:31:42: <Balmas> Well, let's start with his family, since that's the part that I've felt out the most with him.
    03:31:53: <BlasTech> (also, can you remind me what words we settled on for his flawed ideal? his ideal was "I drive perfection" if i recall right)
    03:32:25: <Balmas> His ideal is "I will perfect the world." His flawed ideal is "Life isn't perfect."
    03:32:42: TheAmishPony boops Starry's nose
    03:32:57: <BlasTech> Hi Siuis
    03:33:59: <Balmas> Anyway, both his parents are stunt flyers. Not wonderbolts material, but not slacks either.
    03:36:37: <BlasTech> So what does he think about their flying skills?
    03:36:54: <Balmas> He admires them from afar, and is no slouch in the department himself.
    03:37:05: <Balmas> However, he feels that his destiny lies elsewhere.
    03:37:30: <Balmas> His mom is okay with this, but his dad wants him to carry on the family tradition.
    03:37:30: <BlasTech> yup, that sounds good
    03:37:58: <Balmas> Let's not mention the fact that his dad is just as stubborn as he is.
    03:38:10: <Balmas> He gets a lot of his temperament from his dad, to tell the truth.
    03:39:06: <BlasTech> hmm
    03:39:12: <Balmas> This all got worse when his brother died.
    03:39:16: <Balmas> Rather, it came to a head.
    03:39:33: <BlasTech> point of order here
    03:40:21: <BlasTech> clarification needed, DB has accepted that life is imperfect, that sometimes he can't find the answer and has to move on when it relates to ponies?
    03:40:37: <BlasTech> how does this tie to having his father's stubbornness?
    03:41:16: <Balmas> He's kind of accepted that he doesn't understand ponies, and so has shelved it for now.
    03:41:35: <Balmas> He's more stubborn about personal things.
    03:41:45: <Balmas> Like, if he feels he's right he will stand with it to the last.
    03:42:12: <Balmas> If he's ever in a shouting match (which, really, isn't likely to happen) he will give as good as he gets.
    03:42:39: <BlasTech> ok, so principles, self worth driven stubbornness. but less likely to stick with a course if, all things equal, it resists him?
    03:43:08: <Balmas> That seems about right.
    03:43:22: <BlasTech> ok, continue.
    03:43:23: <Balmas> He's content to follow unless he feels that the leader is doing something wrong.
    03:43:55: <Balmas> Anyway, when things came to a head with his father, words were said in anger, and he left in a huff.
    03:44:07: <BlasTech> Yeah, a sort of "go with the flow, unless I feel that this is evil/wrong."
    03:45:13: <Balmas> Now, this is weird: I haven't put much thought into what kinds of foods he likes, but I still have an inkling what they are.
    03:45:24: <Balmas> For example, he likes milkshakes--strawberry is best.
    03:45:35: <Balmas> He's got a sweet tooth to him.
    03:46:18: <Balmas> Favorite fruit: apples, when he can get them.
    03:46:29: <Balmas> He likes potatoes and carrots as well.
    03:46:49: <Balmas> Personal likes are stuff like reading, flying, and observing.
    03:46:58: <Balmas> Oh, he loves to fly.
    03:47:18: <Balmas> It's what makes him different, sets him apart, and yet makes him the same as any other pegasus.
    03:47:43: <BlasTech> Ask him who his hero is? :P
    03:48:14: <Balmas> Funnily enough, his dad.
    03:48:39: <Balmas> It's very complicated.
    03:49:05: <OneTinPony> Is that who he would say his hero is, though?
    03:49:06: <Balmas> He hates what his dad is trying to do to him, hates being forced to submit, but at the same time craves his approval.
    03:49:54: <Balmas> Other role models are Soarin' and this world's equivalent of Newton.
    03:50:18: OneTinPony tries to think of a pony pun for Newton
    03:51:21: <Balmas> As for dislikes:
    03:51:30: <Balmas> Ponies who try to push him around.
    03:51:43: <Balmas> Complacency, both in himself and in others.
    03:52:08: <Balmas> He doesn't like butter. Odd little quirk.
    03:52:52: <Balmas> He dislikes magic for two reasons:
    03:53:24: <Balmas> First, it messes with the laws of science as he understands it.
    03:53:43: <Balmas> Second, he doesn't understand it very well, having lived in Cloudsdale all his life.
    03:54:17: <Balmas> Okay, four reasons: He feels powerless against it, not having any real defenses besides dodging.
    03:55:13: <Balmas> Fourth reason: it takes away what makes pegasi unique. He did attend the Best Young Flyer's Competition, after all.
    03:56:19: <Balmas> For these reasons, he feels a mild resentment towards unicorns, especially if they do easily something that he had to struggle to learn.
    03:56:22: OneTinPony chuckles
    03:58:16: <StarryNotions> Wait
    03:58:18: <StarryNotions> Objection
    03:58:49: <StarryNotions> Science, in a pony universe would have grown up with and around magic. So that's not like a RL scientist disliking mysticism.
    03:59:11: <OneTinPony> He didn't say that Dive Bomb was right
    03:59:11: <StarryNotions> It's like a chemist disliking an engineer. Or a photo it's disliking a geologist. It's a separate, equal science.
    03:59:51: BlasTech thinks he gets what Balmas is saying here, but will let him articulate it
    03:59:54: <Balmas> He's hardly ever gone out of Cloudsdale, and so has had very little contact with unicorns or magic.
    04:00:13: <Balmas> It's foreign to him, and he's somewhat suspicious of it.
    04:00:39: <StarryNotions> I know. I just wanted to make sure you grokked that a unicorn would probably think your flight was the same.
    04:01:20: <StarryNotions> I mean, you don't need to even learn the math! Just beat your wings and fly, hike I have to struggle just to get airborn?! How unfair is that!
    04:01:20: <Balmas> Yes.
    04:01:40: <Balmas> I know that, and you know that.
    04:01:44: <StarryNotions> But if it's an established prejudice, that's oil.
    04:01:49: <StarryNotions> Cool*
    04:02:03: <BlasTech> Yep that's fine, it's basically just an inter-dicipline rivalry thing I think
    04:02:13: <BlasTech> Like an artist dissing a chemist or vice versa
    04:02:46: <Balmas> There's an element of that, but there's also an element of fear.
    04:02:53: <BlasTech> or at least that's what I'm hearing lol
    04:03:17: <OneTinPony> Ok, gonna be off for a while
    04:03:38: <OneTinPony> I shall return before too long
    04:03:50: <BlasTech> bye OTS
    04:03:56: <Balmas> See you later.
    04:04:03: <StarryNotions> Peace.
    04:04:05: <BlasTech> ok, so maybe an artist and a olympic marksman or something?
    04:04:14: <BlasTech> I dunno :P
    04:04:28: <StarryNotions> But yeah, magic basic theory would show up in grade school text books, it seems.
    04:05:03: <Balmas> Not really. After all, Grease Spot had to go to a community college, didn't she?
    04:05:49: <StarryNotions> Maybe. But kids hear about Newton's apple early on.
    04:06:16: <StarryNotions> Stuff like basic magic and basic Pegasus flight skills would probably be told, poorly, to children.
    04:06:51: <Balmas> I mean, he's heard of it, unicorns cast spells on furniture, he knows unicorns do magic, but doesn't kno wmuch more than that.
    04:06:56: <Balmas> *much
    04:07:42: <StarryNotions> But that's all surmise on my part.
    04:09:08: <StarryNotions> *curtsies* I'm out of here. Peace, friends.
    04:09:19: <Balmas> See you later! Peace!
    04:10:01: <BlasTech> cyas siu ... aw
    04:11:07: <BlasTech> Well as for the current discussion, I can see a low level of prejudice potentially existing, particularly if it's mostly just driven by lack of understanding. But even if he's a chemist, he'd have dealt with less hard science things than a RL chemist. so Magic can't really be that alien to him.
    04:11:35: <Balmas> Exactly.
    04:11:39: <BlasTech> I mean, he'd probably have heard about the medicinal properties of Hearts Desire plants for example during class. Or Poison Joke. Or other things.
    04:12:09: <BlasTech> The idea of a magi-vascular plant (that absorbs magic through its root system and then has certain effects) would also be something he's dealt with.
    04:12:55: <BlasTech> he might have some resentment that Unicorns can use it so easily, and so flexibly, but the idea that he'd think Unicorns were violating physics might be a bit far?
    04:13:07: <Balmas> Perhaps so.
    04:13:08: <BlasTech> given that's how physics in Equestria seems to work
    04:13:21: <Balmas> Resentment sounds like an accurate statement.
    04:13:36: <BlasTech> welcome back Amish
    04:13:44: <BlasTech> that was fast?
    04:13:52: <Balmas> Heh Amish.
    04:15:39: <Balmas> But you understand what he's feeling then?
    04:15:50: <Balmas> Moderate resentment and dislike of casual magic?
    04:16:03: <BlasTech> I think so, it's just more of a "quit rubbing my face in it" perspective
    04:16:15: <BlasTech> I guess?
    04:16:51: <Balmas> Kind of. He's not entirely sure about it himself.
    04:17:09: <Balmas> Kind of a Crossed-forelegs-Hmph kind of deal.
    04:17:11: <BlasTech> hi again Amish
    04:17:17: <BlasTech> yeah I think so.
    04:17:19: <Balmas> Hello hello!
    04:17:39: <Balmas> That's really all I've got for him so far.
    04:17:48: <Balmas> Oh, and one more thing he likes: recognition.
    04:18:21: <Balmas> Sure, he wants to perfect the world, but he also likes a pat on the back now and then.
    04:19:39: <BlasTech> hmm, I still don't feel like I have a full handle on his character yet.
    04:20:02: <BlasTech> Okay, he wants to perfect the world. He wants to do this by understanding how things work ... then what does he do?
    04:20:14: <Balmas> What would you like to know?
    04:20:54: <Balmas> Well, he wants to document it and find ways to implement it.
    04:20:57: <BlasTech> Give me a few examples of him actually following through on this?
    04:21:15: <Balmas> Okay, if he finds a new plant, he'll see if he can't find a use for it.
    04:21:18: <BlasTech> Like, what times during his life would this have come up so far?
    04:21:34: <BlasTech> okaay
    04:21:49: <Balmas> For example, his explosives?
    04:21:56: <Balmas> Reworked stunt flyer chemicals.
    04:23:31: <BlasTech> is it mostly around things which he can break down in chemistry terms? or does he apply this mental framework elsewhere?
    04:23:57: <Balmas> Mostly chemical / science stuff.
    04:24:13: <Balmas> I mean, he keeps his eyes open on other things, but it's mostly chemicals.
    04:24:17: <BlasTech> like, with a filing system, or the management of a school
    04:24:37: <BlasTech> would he really pay attention to those, or would he instead be thinking about the cool plan he has in a beaker back at the lab?
    04:24:47: <BlasTech> plant*
    04:25:03: <Balmas> He wouldn't really be interested in management at all.
    04:25:34: <Balmas> He's more interested in documenting what he considers science: chemicals, medicine, experiments, and so on.
    04:25:41: <BlasTech> okay
    04:26:08: <Balmas> Hey, Pastel.
    04:26:50: <BlasTech> He just seems like a very internally contradictory pony to me sometimes, is that intentional?
    04:27:32: <Balmas> To a certain extent. He's still finding his way in life, trying to work out how it works.
    04:27:58: <Balmas> He's comfortable with science and chemicals, where usually things go according to plan.
    04:28:07: <Balmas> Ponies, not so much.
    04:28:24: <Balmas> He's trying to understand medicine most of all, to help others.
    04:29:15: <BlasTech> I mean, he's inquisitve and adventurous... except in the realms that he's deemed too hard like magic and socialisation. He's driven to perfect the world, but only focuses on perfecting the narrow band of "science" that he has defined.
    04:29:47: <BlasTech> it's like he's two different characters welded together sometimes
    04:30:45: <Balmas> I can see your point.
    04:30:47: <BlasTech> I guess I just need to think about it a bit
    04:30:53: <Balmas> Same here.
    04:31:02: <BlasTech> not sure if my continued problem is my fault or something that needs fixing with DB lol
    04:31:54: <BlasTech> Hmm, you want to take a break for here today? I don't know what questions I need to ask.
    04:32:31: <Balmas> Sure, lets.
    04:32:46: <Balmas> To be honest, I have noticed that he does a lot of contradictory stuff.
    04:33:24: <Balmas> He dislikes his father, but at the same time craves his approval.
    04:33:48: <Balmas> He doesn't like ponies telling him what to do, but has no problem with telling others their problems.
    04:34:02: <Balmas> DB, no offense, but you're a bit of a jerk.
    04:34:06: <BlasTech> lol
    04:34:19: <BlasTech> Maybe he's just embodying his Flawed Ideal; Life is Imperfect eh?
    04:34:29: <Balmas> Lol.
    04:36:01: <BlasTech> He's also going to hate alot of this trip honestly. You read Off the Edge of the Map right? What would he think if he faced that island god? or the village that burned?
    04:36:22: <Balmas> He'd be freaking out wondering what the heck was going on.
    04:36:34: <Balmas> He'd try to make sense of it till he burned out.
    04:37:11: <Balmas> Heh, he might try to interview the island god if he wasn't scared of it.
    04:37:22: <BlasTech> That'd be fun.
    04:37:37: <Balmas> He says, "Don't you dare."
    04:39:02: <BlasTech> Sorry DB, you're the one living in this world of fantasy and spirits :P
    04:40:49: <Balmas> Nuuuuuuu!
    04:41:02: <Balmas> Heh. Anything else you want to talk about?
    04:42:23: <BlasTech> Not right now, although I'm trying to get my head around DB's character. Grease Spot and Soots are more straightforward in that they are built around core premesis rather than contradictions lol
    04:43:06: <BlasTech> premises*
    04:44:28: <Balmas> He seemed so straightforward until he got a life of his own!
    04:44:50: <BlasTech> Sadly they do, although from time to time you might need to remind them who they are :P
    04:44:57: <Balmas> How did he go from an awkward pharmacist exploring equestria to... this?
    04:45:21: <BlasTech> I don't know actually. Just yell his ideal at him till he settles down :P

And finally, Diego's character

Spoiler
    Show
    08:03:21: <BlasTech> so yeah, tell me about City Slicker?
    08:05:36: <DiegoHavoc> Uh... I think you know as much as I do really. He's a tour guide... knows about the city... perhaps a bit of a fast talker? That's all I've got.
    08:05:37: <BlasTech> Even if you have no clue about him lol :P
    08:05:56: <DiegoHavoc> No clue is a pretty apt description.
    08:05:58: <DiegoHavoc> XD
    08:06:16: <BlasTech> heh, in that case you have a fully blank canvas to work with =D
    08:06:30: <BlasTech> why did you want him to be a tour guide?
    08:07:16: <BlasTech> or rather what kind of character were you thinking of playing, a socially focused one? (seems to be) and why might that be?
    08:08:16: <BlasTech> or do you want to do something else?
    08:10:54: <DiegoHavoc> I don't know. :/ I started with the name. I thought about what character might be interesting to be thrown into the wilds of Equestria, and one who was more used to the comforts of a big city seemed like an interesting thing to do. So I named him City Slicker and went from there.
    08:11:53: <DiegoHavoc> I don't know where the tour guide thing came from. I guess because it's a job where you frequently go around a city, perhaps meet a lot of people? I admit I'm not attached to the idea.
    08:12:18: <BlasTech> But you like the idea of the whole "fish out of water" aspect is it?
    08:12:51: <DiegoHavoc> I guess so. It seemed like it would fit the campaign.
    08:13:45: <DiegoHavoc> Though, what I don't really want to do is make a character who complains a lot. No whining about how terrible this is and how life in the big city is so much better etc.
    08:15:08: <BlasTech> so maybe a sort of one who might be excited by the prospect, even if they never intended it?
    08:16:52: <DiegoHavoc> Yeah, that could work. Perhaps he thinks of himself as a bit of an explorer. He just usually explores allyways and parks.
    08:18:18: <BlasTech> So sort of the city kid, who has never really had the means or motivation to travel afield?
    08:18:39: <BlasTech> sounds like maybe a bit of a dreamer?
    08:21:19: <DiegoHavoc> Perhaps. Maybe he's been reading all those Daring Do books and wants to be like her. :P
    08:22:35: <BlasTech> I was kind of getting that sort of image. A colt that spends a fair amount of time in the library or bookstore :P
    08:23:46: <BlasTech> or a filly, whatever you want to play? :P
    08:24:18: <BlasTech> If we're going back to blank canvas, race and gender might make a good initial decision
    08:25:44: <DiegoHavoc> Well, initially I just went with Male earth pony. I'll stick with male for now, but race isn't fixed.
    08:28:10: <BlasTech> fair nuff.
    08:29:05: <DiegoHavoc> So, he fancies himself an adventurer, but stories are his only frame of reference. So his "adventures" are him wandering around Canterlot (or another city, perhaps Manehattan) looking for neat stuff. A shop that's out of the way, an old statue in a park, a place with a cool view. Whatever he can get.
    08:29:35: <BlasTech> Yep that works.
    08:30:58: <BlasTech> So he has a bit of wanderlust then.
    08:31:08: <BlasTech> Any other thoughts?
    08:34:33: <BlasTech> Well how about this, if he's wandering around looking for excitement and adventure, i'm guessing his life must normally be rather mundane.
    08:35:54: <DiegoHavoc> I suppose that's true, yeah.
    08:37:01: <BlasTech> So as a tour guide, maybe that's why he makes up stories about places to the foals he leads around?
    08:38:23: <DiegoHavoc> Yeah, it's his little way of making life a bit more interesting.
    08:38:40: <DiegoHavoc> BRB
    08:38:57: <BlasTech> kk
    08:44:59: <DiegoHavoc> Back
    08:45:31: <BlasTech> yay!
    08:45:59: <DiegoHavoc> ^^
    08:46:24: <DiegoHavoc> Alright, where do we go from here?
    08:47:02: <BlasTech> well we have the core of a character who is a bit of a dreamer, finds the world around them a little bit mundane for their liking.
    08:48:02: <BlasTech> has a bit of a desire to get out of his life, get away and see new things.
    08:48:49: <BlasTech> can either build around this more? or try to figure out what his ideal might be.
    08:49:17: <BlasTech> oops, I gotta hop off for dinner. I'll be back in about 30 mins?
    08:49:37: <DiegoHavoc> Sure, I'll think about what I want to work out next
    08:49:56: <BlasTech> sounds good!
    09:13:24: <BlasTech> I'm back!
    09:13:29: <BlasTech> any luck?
    09:19:23: <DiegoHavoc> Oh hey, sorry, was on youtube...
    09:20:38: <DiegoHavoc> Uh, lesse. I'm still not entirely sure of this ideal. Closest I can come up with is just "Life should be more exciting" but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
    09:22:00: <DiegoHavoc> Hey there Amish!
    09:22:14: <BlasTech> Hiya Amish!
    09:22:19: <BlasTech> how goes?
    09:27:36: <BlasTech> And for the ideal. I had a think.
    09:28:24: <DiegoHavoc> Oh, yeah?
    09:29:08: <BlasTech> We only really have a very basic idea about this pony right now, that may change if you feel like there's some other way you want to play them.
    09:29:26: <BlasTech> but as it stands, the ideal is fairly simple to pull out;
    09:30:15: <BlasTech> This is a pony that seeks escape in his imagination. So really, it's along the lines of "Imagination sets you free"
    09:31:09: <TheAmishPony> Hiya
    09:31:21: <DiegoHavoc> Alright, I think that can work.
    09:31:27: <DiegoHavoc> Heya!
    09:31:43: <TheAmishPony> Just got back from a day of wandering around Osaka
    09:32:17: <DiegoHavoc> Cool. How was it?
    09:34:21: <TheAmishPony> Very nice! It only rained a bit at the start of the day, and it was bright and sunny the rest of the time
    09:34:36: <TheAmishPony> Also put on my iPod for the first time in forever, nostalgia'd over all the old music on it
    09:34:41: <TheAmishPony> It's a first-generation shuffle
    09:35:20: <BlasTech> I think I only saw about 1% of osaka lol. Just about 500m from the train station to a canal
    09:40:45: <TheAmishPony> Woop, and the floodgates have opened
    09:40:55: <TheAmishPony> Osaka is huge
    09:41:05: <TheAmishPony> I've probably only seen maybe 2%
    09:42:40: <BlasTech> or, maybe I'm rounding up then
    09:43:03: <DiegoHavoc> So anyway, character discussion. If the ideal is "Imagination sets you free" then the flawed ideal is something like "Imagination is not reality"?
    09:43:23: <TheAmishPony> (nah, I just see places other than Osaka too. That, and I really only see the area around the train station)
    09:43:57: <BlasTech> Actually, I think this guy is a perfect match to something like "You can't survive on dreams" :P
    09:44:19: <BlasTech> which is an ideal Amish and I rejected earlier.
    09:45:14: <DiegoHavoc> Oh I see. I get the second hand reject ideals. I see how it is. :P
    09:45:32: <BlasTech> Only if they fit! :P
    09:46:33: <DiegoHavoc> Sure, okay then. So now what?
    09:48:42: <BlasTech> well normally we'd start discussing word association, but I want to hear what you think about the character so far, because it almost feels like I've made it rather than you this afternoon :3
    09:48:56: <BlasTech> do those ideals sound right to you? is this the sort of character you want to play?
    09:49:21: <BlasTech> any other thoughts or quirks or attributes you want to fiddle with before we think of this set in stone?
    09:49:28: <BlasTech> need more time to consider? :P
    09:50:14: <DiegoHavoc> Yeah, I think I'm going to need some time to think
    09:51:06: <BlasTech> yup, so lets park it here for now then.

25. - Top - End - #115

Can't get on the IRC right now, but was wondering does the 25 word box total included the original five key words you come up with?
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Can't get on the IRC right now, but was wondering does the 25 word box total included the original five key words you come up with?
    Technically, no.

27. - Top - End - #117

Alright just checking
    OOC
    IC
    Map

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Take two at Divebomb today (Balmas)

Spoiler
    Show
    06:24:58: <Balmas> So, yeah.
    06:25:18: <Balmas> I hve been thinking a bit about DB and his contrariness, the resolving thereof.
    06:25:30: <BlasTech> that's great ^^
    06:26:00: <BlasTech> I've been trying to resolve it in my head, but no luck so far. I can't figure out the thread that connects all the different things you mentioned yesterday.
    06:26:00: <Balmas> Shouting his ideals worked. ^^
    06:26:24: <BlasTech> so what new developments did that bring?
    06:26:31: <Balmas> Mostly it's come down to thinking about the character without thinking about his ideals.
    06:27:34: <Balmas> And that leads to new, interesting ideas that really don't fit.
    06:27:50: <BlasTech> This is good insight =D
    06:28:22: <Balmas> So I've been shaking around the ideas to see where they lead.
    06:28:52: <Balmas> So, this is what I've come up with after chatting:
    06:29:04: <Balmas> He still dislikes magic.
    06:29:14: <Balmas> But, it's more a friendly rivalry kind of thing.
    06:29:40: <Balmas> He hasn't had much chance to observe it in person, for obvious reasons.
    06:30:34: <BlasTech> ok, that seems a bit nicer
    06:31:09: <Balmas> He still wants to learn more about it, but feels, if anything, jealous of it.
    06:32:04: <BlasTech> right that kind of works.
    06:32:15: <BlasTech> What about other ponies?
    06:32:55: <Balmas> He kind of despairs of finding an answer on that question. He wants to, but it's low on his list of priorities.
    06:33:56: <Balmas> He wants to find cures for diseases, find and document new things, and those things take priority.
    06:34:52: <BlasTech> oh-kay
    06:36:02: <Balmas> In his mind, chemistry and medicine are much more concrete than social interaction, and more progress will be made by focusing his efforts in those directions.
    06:37:04: <BlasTech> But if the opportunity for socialisation comes up, how does he react?
    06:39:10: <BlasTech> I think you might have hit the nail on the head saying that some aspects of the character were added on in isolation to the ideal, but one of those I'm still grappling with is his inherited "determination" from his dad
    06:39:14: <Balmas> It's a nagging annoyance of his, a small pet peeve, that ponies refuse to fit in an orderly fashion.
    06:39:14: <Balmas> "They quite stubbornly refuse to make sense. The only uniform rule is that there aren't any."
    06:39:14: <Balmas> Is this making more sense?
    06:40:08: <BlasTech> see, if he's so driven to find the answers to everything, so that he can perfect the world, I don't think he can really just satisfy himself with that kind of an answer
    06:41:55: <BlasTech> I can see him having a bit of an inferiority complex about it, if he keeps getting it wrong. But I can't see him just stopping.
    06:42:23: <Balmas> He's not satisfied.
    06:45:04: <Balmas> I can see your point.
    06:45:04: <Balmas> From his point of view, the world is big, and other things take priority. It's a back-burner project for im.
    06:45:04: <Balmas> *him.
    06:46:07: <Balmas> If I could describe a word to describe his emotions towards the whole pony problem, it would be "Frustrated."
    06:46:51: <Balmas> So, in order to rework it closer to his ideals:
    06:47:46: <Balmas> He wants to find the solution. He will figure it out, he's determined to do so.
    06:48:05: <Balmas> However, also going with what we have, we know he doesn't like acting without knowing what is best.
    06:48:17: <Balmas> So, he holds back unless he knows what it is.
    06:49:38: <BlasTech> So he's sort of the awkward observer in a social environment?
    06:49:51: <Balmas> Yes.
    06:50:09: <BlasTech> Ok, that I can see working.
    06:50:28: <Balmas> Of course, this also would logically lead to him having few friends.
    06:51:29: <BlasTech> And I think it means he'd be a little unsure of himself until he thinks he's worked out problems generally.
    06:51:54: <BlasTech> so maybe not quite as "bullheadedly determined" as his dad?
    06:51:55: <Balmas> Thus his contentment to follow unless he knows what to do.
    06:52:10: <BlasTech> Or did I get the wrong message there?
    06:52:43: <Balmas> Maybe.
    06:52:58: <Balmas> When I said he's stubborn, I was referring to emotional stuff.
    06:53:11: <Balmas> Let's talk about his emotional development.
    06:54:19: <Balmas> He tends to be calm, bottling away any irritations.
    06:54:28: <Balmas> So, he comes off as very quiet, sometimes cold, to other ponies.
    06:54:44: <Balmas> However, that bottled away stuff stays.
    06:55:15: <Balmas> He guards his feelings well, so it doesn't show much, but it's there.
    06:55:56: <Balmas> He's stubborn about what he wants to do, and refuses to be told what to do by others.
    06:56:16: <Balmas> So, he's determined to get answers, but he's most stubborn when he's butting heads with othersw.
    06:57:03: <BlasTech> Stubborn vs content to follow unless he knows what to do?
    06:57:45: <Balmas> Both apply, but the second is more accurate.
    07:00:14: <BlasTech> I think you need to pick one or the other really =/ Either he's rather awkward and hesitant to make tough decisions until he assures himself five ways by gathering data, or he's stubborn and will continue to defend a position or theory against criticism and evidence. (Of course there can be a moral exception, but this is for just dealing with other ponies)
    07:00:53: <BlasTech> the idea that he's both awkward and stubborn is one of those which makes him feel like he's trying to be two opposing things at once to me
    07:02:27: <BlasTech> I should rephrase. Yes, he can dig his hooves in if he's pushed too far (like if someone keeps walking over him a la fluttershy), but I couldn't see someone who is described as awkward and hesitant suddenly switching over to soapbox mode simply because someone tells him to move his stuff for instance.
    07:02:51: <BlasTech> or that he has to set up shop in position X
    07:03:32: <BlasTech> he'd be "oh, okay. I guess I'd better see how good this X is, *checks out his notes, then goes to do a cost/benefit analysis of trying to get a better spot in the lab*
    07:04:24: <Balmas> Oh, see, that's where you're right.
    07:04:24: <Balmas> He's only really stubborn about big things, like life path or life or death situations.
    07:06:31: <Balmas> So, if someone were to say, move your stuff, he might bristle a bit, but he'd pack up.
    07:06:41: <BlasTech> So how far do you have to push him before he digs in?
    07:07:31: <BlasTech> The way I see it, where you set the slider for minor-major issues on that question, needs to be consistent to his treatment of social situations in terms of his research priorities
    07:09:17: <Balmas> He's fairly easy-going. He'll only start digging in if you're constantly pushing at him or if you start doing something that's clearly stupid or wrong.
    07:11:35: <BlasTech> can you 1-10 it for me, 1 being doormat, 10 being iron will?
    07:12:25: <Balmas> So, to set an example:
    07:12:25: <Balmas> With his dad, it took years of constant nagging for him to finally explode.
    07:13:16: <BlasTech> hmm ok
    07:13:23: <Balmas> They'd had fights before, neither wanting to back down for pride and stubborness.
    07:13:31: <BlasTech> so ... 2? 3?
    07:13:52: <Balmas> Out of ten?
    07:14:04: <Balmas> Let's say 3.5.
    07:14:09: <BlasTech> wait, they both fought before? so he was stubborn while getting rolled over?
    07:14:15: <BlasTech> lol
    07:14:43: <Balmas> There was tension between them.
    07:15:08: <Balmas> The dad would make off-hand comments, he'd snap back with a witty retort, and so on.
    07:15:32: <Balmas> But never stuff like shouting, insults, accusations, like after his brother died.
    07:21:45: <BlasTech> Ok, so the retorts were mostly just joking back or something?
    07:22:33: <Balmas> More irritation than joking.
    07:23:04: <Balmas> He acts very differently with his dad than with everyone else.
    07:24:03: <BlasTech> Have to be careful with that I guess, if he's actively insulting back or something that makes it more resistance than acceptance I think.
    07:24:42: <Balmas> The irritation did come after long periods of nagging, though.
    07:25:25: <Balmas> He's not going to come out with both barrels blazing for most people, because they just don't annoy him or nag him all that much.
    07:26:58: <BlasTech> ok
    07:27:09: <BlasTech> so more a specific psychological break regarding his dad
    07:27:35: <Balmas> Yeah.
    07:27:51: <Balmas> He craves his approval, wants to make him proud.
    07:28:01: <Balmas> At the same time, he wants to live his own life and study the world.
    07:28:05: <BlasTech> Even after pushing him over the edge?
    07:28:15: <Balmas> Even after pushing him over the edge.
    07:29:00: <Balmas> After his brother's death, he's even more determined to find the answers, to cure diseases, to prove to himself and his father that he was right and it wasn't a mistake.
    07:29:32: <Balmas> He worshipped his big brother growing up.
    07:29:34: <BlasTech> Ok, so he's basically hiding a very deep insecurity behind his quiet exterior and his drive.
    07:29:42: <Balmas> Basically.
    07:30:22: <BlasTech> Fair enough.
    07:31:11: <Balmas> (I should probably flesh out his family a bit more. Names would be a good starting point.)
    07:31:24: <Balmas> How are we coming on his development, do you think?
    07:32:29: <BlasTech> Well, this discussion has made me feel alot better. I think the most difficult part about playing DB is going to be maintaining that restraint of emotions when dealing with others in a way that's true to a 3.5 on that 10 point scale.
    07:33:04: <BlasTech> At the same time, I think he could thus be a bit more inquisitive about social interactions, rather than shelving them completely as if he were a 1 on the scale.
    07:33:44: <BlasTech> Definitely hesitant, definitely unsure and definitely expecting to get it wrong, but still likely to have a soft go at asking questions.
    07:34:02: <BlasTech> but might get put off if people tell him to butt out
    07:34:07: <Balmas> That fits.
    07:34:19: <Balmas> Kind of a shy, awkward pegasus who wants to learn more.
    07:34:43: <BlasTech> The shy scientist then.
    07:34:56: <Balmas> Yep! ^^
    07:35:28: <BlasTech> Ok, given this view on him, I would suggest taking another stab at the five keywords.
    07:36:24: <BlasTech> In particular the one on "adventure" because I think that puts him as a bit braver than he seems to be after this convo.
    07:36:45: <Balmas> Okay, let's take a look.
    07:36:50: <Balmas> Awkward remains true.
    07:37:00: <BlasTech> Inquisitive does
    07:37:12: <BlasTech> (or at least I think it still does :P)
    07:37:13: <Balmas> Either Learning or Knowledge could be true.
    07:37:27: <Balmas> Oh, right, still have inquisitive.
    07:37:47: <Balmas> So, Awkward, Knowledge, Inquisitive...
    07:38:10: <BlasTech> Is learning or knowledge better?
    07:38:22: <BlasTech> ah nevermind
    07:38:26: <Balmas> Well, learning kind of fits under inquisitive.
    07:38:30: <BlasTech> I guess if Inquisitve is there it kind of fits under ... yeah that
    07:39:50: <Balmas> Principles remains true, or at least I think it does.
    07:40:09: <BlasTech> Ok
    07:40:18: <Balmas> Let's replace adventure with Driven.
    07:40:40: <Balmas> No, that falls under principles as well.
    07:40:41: <BlasTech> I think that's a bit too active again?
    07:40:46: <BlasTech> that too.
    07:41:23: <Balmas> Vulnerable falls under awkward...
    07:41:48: <Balmas> Not that that's a bad thing...
    07:42:46: <BlasTech> I think you need something that hints at his rather reserved nature, to differentiate him from a monologuing maniacal scientist who makes bad jokes
    07:43:14: <Balmas> You mean, his future self? ^^
    07:43:20: <BlasTech> EEyup >>
    07:43:34: <BlasTech> :P
    07:43:51: <Balmas> Reserved... word association time.
    07:44:09: <Balmas> Reserved -> quiet -> Shy
    07:45:01: <Balmas> (My mind has a weird train of thought, because it somehow linked Shy ->Himura Kenshin -> swordsman)
    07:45:14: <BlasTech> Reserved -> Introspective -> Quiet -> Shy -> Flutter ... wait
    07:45:43: <Balmas> (Flutter ->Flutterdash->OTP...)
    07:46:02: <Balmas> Actually, reserved is probably the best keyword.
    07:46:20: <BlasTech> ... well that was easy! :P
    07:46:32: <Balmas> So:
    07:46:53: <Balmas> Knowledge, Inquisitve, Reserved, Awkward, Principles.
    07:47:52: <BlasTech> Reserved can also incorporate some aspect of witholding judgement until he has evidence so yeah, that workks
    07:47:53: <BlasTech> works*
    07:48:07: <BlasTech> Now just go make five more words foe each of those, include a virtue or a vice or something :P
    07:48:21: <BlasTech> but I do feel like it's a bit more clear to me now than it was before.
    07:48:44: <Balmas> I also have to work on his family, have something besides vague concepts and personalities.
    07:48:50: <Balmas> Names would be a good start.
    07:48:52: <BlasTech> Yep.
    07:48:59: <BlasTech> Well, keep those keywords and ideals in mind
    07:49:15: <BlasTech> just try to ask yourself. "Ok, I have this pony. What kind of upbringing would result in this pony"
    07:49:46: <BlasTech> "One that has a loud parent or a quiet one? One who's mother coddles them or who believes in booting them out of the nest?
    07:49:49: <BlasTech> whose*
    07:50:07: <BlasTech> One who had a big brother who cared/protected/hated/picked on them?
    07:50:19: <Balmas> Let me review what I have so far:
    07:51:04: <Balmas> Father: authority figure, high discipline, order, sincerely wants what's best for his children, very paternal in the ethical sense of "I know what's best for you."
    07:51:24: <BlasTech> So a bit domineering, a bit pushy, but still loves them.
    07:51:40: <Balmas> Yep.
    07:52:14: <Balmas> Mother: Caring and nurture figure, loves children, but supports the father. United front and all that.
    07:52:27: <Balmas> She's more accepting of different wants.
    07:52:47: <BlasTech> A port in the storm?
    07:52:55: <Balmas> Yes.
    07:53:15: <Balmas> A shoulder to cry on and from whom to receive council.
    07:53:58: <Balmas> The brother was one of his heroes, though this image may have been idealized a bit by his absense.
    07:54:05: <Balmas> *absence
    07:54:19: <Balmas> Strong, caring, protective.
    07:54:34: <BlasTech> so tell me about zhur brother *dons spectacles*
    07:54:56: <Balmas> Well, Sigmund, my brother was always a caring and supporting figure in my life...
    07:55:30: <Balmas> He absorbed a bit of the fatherly proddings, and was destined for stunt-flyer stardom.
    07:55:43: <Balmas> (As in, he was actually trying to get into the wonderbolts.)
    07:56:31: <Balmas> He was also protective of DB, keeping bullies away.,
    07:56:42: <Balmas> Supportive of DB's dreams.
    07:56:52: <BlasTech> a confidante purhaps?
    07:56:58: <Balmas> Totally.
    07:57:11: <BlasTech> did zhey play togeather as the foals hmm?
    07:57:31: <Balmas> So, you can imagine DB's distress and denial when the doctors delivered the diagnosis.
    07:57:49: <Balmas> Yeah. Imagine a pegasus version of Shining Armor.
    07:58:00: <BlasTech> is true, ver sad. Ze BBBFF iz not forever
    07:58:52: <BlasTech> Zho how does monsieur dive bomb feel without his hero now?
    07:59:19: <BlasTech> would he be, ow do you say, adrift?
    07:59:28: <Balmas> Adrift, and a bit betrayed.
    07:59:36: <Balmas> How dare he? How could he die?
    07:59:40: <BlasTech> betrayed? by 'o?
    08:00:06: <BlasTech> och I see, I see. 'tis a failure in the perfection innit it?
    08:00:16: <Balmas> Exactly.
    08:00:43: <Balmas> Suddenly, someone who was always strong, always protected him, was always a barrier between himself and his father suddenly... wasn't.
    08:00:49: <Balmas> In the worse possible way.
    08:01:21: <BlasTech> Da, veri good. This is makeink good sense now comrade.
    08:02:36: <Balmas> Well, with that said, I think I ought to head to bed. I have a meeting in seven hours, and I'd like to spend six of those asleep.
    08:03:18: <BlasTech> Aiyah, go to bed go to bed! We see you in morning. Bright and fresh!
    08:04:00: <Balmas> See you then!
    08:04:01: <BlasTech> I'll save the chat logs to the OOC thread so you can revisit em when yer upright, alright mate?
    08:04:21: <Balmas> Alright.
    08:04:27: <Balmas> Night, mate!
    08:04:30: <BlasTech> G'night!

29. - Top - End - #119

Well me and BlasTech have finished the character exercises for Soot, and here are the general results

Her ideal is "If Everyone cared then Nobody'd cry" (yes it's from the nickelback Song) in that her idea of a perfect world would be one without selfishness or poverty

Her flawed ideal is "If they won't care, I won't either" she doesn't see her stealing as hurting anypony since she only steals from those who have plenty while she and her "family" starve

Her key words are Empathy (Nurturing, Peacemaker, Patient, Listener, and Accepting), Jaded (Sarcastic, Cynical, Suspicious, Hypocritical, and Envy), Protective (Maternal, Possesive, Teammate, Defensive, Caretaker), Lonely (Vulnerable, Sadness, Haunted, Unappreciated, and Dependent), and Strength (Bravado, Endurance, Sacrifice, Willful, Determined)

As far as interactions with Grease Spot (who seems the most finished) go
    Spoiler
    Show
    She would definately relate to her ideal of a world where everypony worked together, though she doesn't see the value of machinery as much, not having alot of exposure to it in any personal sense. The types of ponies they both dislike is also rather similar although Soot dislikes Apathy more than really laziness. one of the interesting things I noticed is that likely Grease Spot knows more about magical theory than Soot does, being university educated, while Soot treats magic more like a couple of useful tricks, basically more of a Sorceror than a Wizard (Both mostly Rogue)

The other thing though is most likely Grease Spot and Soot wouldn't feel much in common with each other looking at one another's covers. Grease Spot would seem alot like the kind of bossy adult she normally deals with (usually while running from their stores), while from what I'm getting from your description Grease Spot might chalk Soot down as a non-contributing member of society since she steals for a living.

Would be interesting for them to dislike each other before realizing how similar they really are.

What do you think about this OTS?
    OOC
    IC
    Map

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Well me and BlasTech have finished the character exercises for Soot, and here are the general results

Her ideal is "If Everyone cared then Nobody'd cry" (yes it's from the nickelback Song) in that her idea of a perfect world would be one without selfishness or poverty

Her flawed ideal is "If they won't care, I won't either" she doesn't see her stealing as hurting anypony since she only steals from those who have plenty while she and her "family" starve

Her key words are Empathy (Nurturing, Peacemaker, Patient, Listener, and Accepting), Jaded (Sarcastic, Cynical, Suspicious, Hypocritical, and Envy), Protective (Maternal, Possesive, Teammate, Defensive, Caretaker), Lonely (Vulnerable, Sadness, Haunted, Unappreciated, and Dependent), and Strength (Bravado, Endurance, Sacrifice, Willful, Determined)

As far as interactions with Grease Spot (who seems the most finished) go
    Spoiler
    Show
    She would definately relate to her ideal of a world where everypony worked together, though she doesn't see the value of machinery as much, not having alot of exposure to it in any personal sense. The types of ponies they both dislike is also rather similar although Soot dislikes Apathy more than really laziness. one of the interesting things I noticed is that likely Grease Spot knows more about magical theory than Soot does, being university educated, while Soot treats magic more like a couple of useful tricks, basically more of a Sorceror than a Wizard (Both mostly Rogue)

The other thing though is most likely Grease Spot and Soot wouldn't feel much in common with each other looking at one another's covers. Grease Spot would seem alot like the kind of bossy adult she normally deals with (usually while running from their stores), while from what I'm getting from your description Grease Spot might chalk Soot down as a non-contributing member of society since she steals for a living.

Would be interesting for them to dislike each other before realizing how similar they really are.

What do you think about this OTS?
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I think we can definitely have some good RP with the two of them getting to know each other. Looking forward to it.

Actually, I haven't gone through the secondary 25 words for Grease yet. I'll think about it, see what I can come up with. Now that I have an example to work off of, I should be able to think of something.