Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic: The Broken Road.

Hey Diego, are you around? Still hoping to catch you on the IRC regarding character creation, had any ideas yet?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

...I'm sorry BT, but no. I've got nothing.

I dunno, I'm just not really feeling it anymore. I don't even know what I want to play.

May try and come up with another character idea or may just drop out altogether. I haven't decided yet. Sorry to mess you about and waste your time like this.
    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    ...I'm sorry BT, but no. I've got nothing.

I dunno, I'm just not really feeling it anymore. I don't even know what I want to play.

May try and come up with another character idea or may just drop out altogether. I haven't decided yet. Sorry to mess you about and waste your time like this.
    Aw, that's a shame to hear. Well, whatever you decide make sure it's something you'll enjoy. This is an RPG, not a job.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much this ^

Let us know what you decide in the end, no pressure!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, have fun!
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Blastech and I have finished up the character exercises for Dive Bomb. Here's the 25 association words I've come up with. I'll have a fuller write up later on.

Knowledge: Medicine, Intelligent, Record, Science, Applied.
    Inquisitive: Curiosity, Question, New, Learning, Attentive
    Reserved: Quiet, Shy, Judgment, Apprehensive, Withdrawn
    Principles: Morality, Method, Overcome, Proud, Driven
    Awkward: Inexperienced, Insecure, Unsure, Alone, Follower
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

People don't *live* on the Disc anymore than, in less hand-crafted parts of the multiverse, they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats its tea, but they *live* elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the center of their heads. ~Terry Pratchett again

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

I should mention that the 25 words are not intended to be a difficult exercise. They are there to put a bit of flesh on the bones of the core character idea, and to encourage you to think a bit beyond the basics of job description and race.

Yes, you can use the same word multiple times, or variations on the theme. It just means that that characteristic will be more "dominant" in that character.

You can also have somewhat contradictory terms (like I mentioned to Balmas' above with "shy" and "pride"), so long as you work out a framework for determining how to resolve that internal conflict of the character.

Anyway, this marks three characters close to done. Once the backstory stuff comes up you guys can work on how Divebomb will fit in with Grease and Soot.

I know Amish is rather busy with his project until the end of the month, so we're probably looking at an October start time at this stage. Take the time to read the recommended fanfics if you haven't already, and or to start bouncing ideas off each other and me in terms of statting out the characters in RiM mechanics in light of any changes from the chargen process.

Can you also please point me towards any final stats once you've done the above, I think I do need to at least eyeball them to see if they follow the mechanics set out.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

It should also be noted that this is a tool for helping you, not a formula. You could hve a perfectly clear character and not e able to shoehorn them into this formula.

That said, it is a damned good formula.

Blastech: so you guys are settled on the four PCs right? Tinsel, Amish, Balmas, and .... Uh... Ravian! Wow. Your name is hard to remember, mate. I'll have to hang out with you more to fix that!
    "Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, looks like we've got our crew. I did make some alterations to the story to accomodate a fifth player. Now that they're in there, it should be easy to tweak back to four or five depending on Diego's decision as whether to play ot not. (I'm assuming not at this stage, but he has till the RP actually starts to say otherwise)

10. - Top - End - #130

All right, then, I only have a few words left before I'm done. I'll put what I have here, and maybe I can work some of them out by the time I'm done this post.

Efficiency: Teamwork, Punctual, Simple, Practical, Prepared
    Responsibility: Maturity, Dependable, Judgmental, Professional, Society
    Frustration: Repression, Pride, Romance, Laziness, Snobs
    Family: Loyal, Exemplar, Nagging, Siblings, Love
    Flexibility: Variety, Generalist, Connections, Friendly, Synergy

For clarification, not all of these words relate the same way. Some are subsets of the main word, some contribute to why the main word is important to her character, and some are things that don't describe her, but still relate to the main word. Most of these are under Frustration. (Her Pride and her Romance life cause her frustration in different ways, while Laziness is an attribute of other ponies that frustrates her.) If I need to clarify more, I can do so.

At any rate, it seems that I at least got 25 down.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I know Amish is rather busy with his project until the end of the month, so we're probably looking at an October start time at this stage. Take the time to read the recommended fanfics if you haven't already, and or to start bouncing ideas off each other and me in terms of statting out the characters in RiM mechanics in light of any changes from the chargen process.
    Thank you very much. I've been meaning to come and post that I'm a bit swamped at the moment. I'm trying to think of that fifth word every time I've got the mental cycles to spare, but so far I've got nothing. I think this is telling me that there's somewhere that I can add a bit more to the character, seeing how right now he's summed up in four words (Family, Leadership, Pride, Perfection). The coding part of the project is supposed to be done on the 30th, and I come back on the 6th (literally arriving home an hour before I leave), so sometime after that should be good.

@Diego: Sorry to hear that, but don't stress yourself out over it. RPs are, at the end of the day, a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm ... didn't he get his cutie mark through art?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Thank you very much. I've been meaning to come and post that I'm a bit swamped at the moment. I'm trying to think of that fifth word every time I've got the mental cycles to spare, but so far I've got nothing. I think this is telling me that there's somewhere that I can add a bit more to the character, seeing how right now he's summed up in four words (Family, Leadership, Pride, Perfection). The coding part of the project is supposed to be done on the 30th, and I come back on the 6th (literally arriving home an hour before I leave), so sometime after that should be good.

@Diego: Sorry to hear that, but don't stress yourself out over it. RPs are, at the end of the day, a game.
    Family, Leadership, Pride are all neutral words. Why?
    Perfection generally always has a connotation. Is it positive or negative? Is it a goal to strive to? A thing to maintain?

Also, you don't have to be a good person. Your perfect self can be an attractions, evil ****, he's just the perfect atrocious evil ****. You can Also elaborate on a negative trait that is important to the character, such as isolation, aggression, greed, and the like

How would people describe him? So far if I go to a party and ask someone about him, they will say "who, that guy? Yeah, he's pretty stiff. Likes to do his best, a perfectionist. Really proud, kids full of himself. Totally dedicate to his family." is there any trait his buddies in the dorm would relate that's not there?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Family, Leadership, Pride are all neutral words. Why?
    Perfection generally always has a connotation. Is it positive or negative? Is it a goal to strive to? A thing to maintain?

Also, you don't have to be a good person. Your perfect self can be an attractions, evil ****, he's just the perfect atrocious evil ****. You can Also elaborate on a negative trait that is important to the character, such as isolation, aggression, greed, and the like
    Aye, though Pride was meant as his flaw. That, combined with Leadership, puts him a tier above the rest of the world. He'd be the sort of person to work off of the assumption that he knows best, and you'll have your work cut out for you proving him wrong.

How would people describe him? So far if I go to a party and ask someone about him, they will say "who, that guy? Yeah, he's pretty stiff. Likes to do his best, a perfectionist. Really proud, kids full of himself. Totally dedicate to his family." is there any trait his buddies in the dorm would relate that's not there?
    Hmm ... didn't he get his cutie mark through art?
    I think this is where I can get that last word. After all, he was the pony who, when he got a vision in his head, went and painted it on bottlecaps because he lacked paper. For lack of a better explanation, I think I can put a bit of Rarity's sense of drama in him, driven from that underlying artistic passion. Puts him as a character who lives more in the moment, and finds the dilemmas of the here and now to occupy his thoughts. That also ties into his Perfection; he can only see the incomplete painting in front of him, not the three hours he's already spent fussing over the sky.

In that case, perhaps Passion would be a decent contender for the fifth word, though I think I might be able to find a better one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Passion is an intense and barely controllable emotional response. Passion also comes from 'pati', to suffer. I think it's a fine wine-red word. Works beautifully and really ties the other four together.

I am bu one not-so-humble opinion though

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Aw, that's a shame to hear. Well, whatever you decide make sure it's something you'll enjoy. This is an RPG, not a job.
    Pretty much this ^

Let us know what you decide in the end, no pressure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Well, have fun!
    Thanks guys, 'preciate it.

After much thinking I've decided that I'm not going to continue. This isn't what I'm really looking for right now. Thanks for putting up with me though. I look forward to seeing how you guys get on.
    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

17. - Top - End - #137

Well hope everything goes well for you, sorry you won't be able to join us but it's not your fault.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

It's miiiiiiinnneeeee D:

Seriously though, sorry to hear that, but I hope we can entertain :3

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys, while we wait, can you link me to your latest stats for your characters so I can add them to the OP?

Was thinking we could have another look at those, hopefully with people getting a bit more time to read over the mechanics and get a feel for any changes their character may have gone through over the last few weeks.

20. - Top - End - #140

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soot
    Unicorn Filly
    Body- 2, Heart-2, Mind 5 (+1 mind from egghead)
    Fortitude- 4, Energy- 7, Courage 7, Willpower 9
    Cutie Mark: Black Cat
    Special Talent: Going unseen and unnoticied
    Job: Thief (level 2)
    Skills: Stealth 1, Sleight of horn 1(telekinetic pickpocketing), Lockpicking 1, Acting 1(Generally for alibis)
    Talents: Sensitive, Wary

Magic:
    Aspects known: Telekinesis, Animate, Light, Body, Deceive, Diminish, Forge, Reveal (+1 from new magic trick)

Spells known:
    Sneak in the Shadows
    Level 3
    Deceive, Light
    Range- Contact, Duration- Temporary
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot shrouds the target (usually herself) to make light bend around them, making them invisible to normal sight

Follow the Shiny Light
    Level 2
    Animate, Forge, Light
    Range- Anmiomorphic, Duration- Concentration
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot conjours a mote of light and direct where it goes

Hush now, Quiet now
    Level 2
    Diminish, Body
    Range- Anmiomorphic, Duration- Temporary
    Difficulty- 4
    Soot saps the energy from a target, making them very sleepy

Lights Out
    Level 1
    Diminish, Light
    Range- Spectacle, Duration- Temporary
    Difficulty- 5
    Soot coats an area in a blanket of darkness, obscuring everything within

Detect Life
    Level 1
    Reveal, Body
    Difficulty- 5
    Soot is able to sense the locations of sentient creatures in an area, useful to avoid guards, not so much for their dogs

Flaws: Low Society

Element: Kindness

Advancements:
    Egghead (+1 Mind) 10 pts,
    New Magic Trick 5 pts,
    Uplifting Attitude 5 pts,
    On-the- Job training (+1 level to thief) 4 pts,

Devices: set of lockpicks, saddlebag

these are Soot's current stats, I made a couple of changes from the original, namely swapping Agile for Sensitive to represent her empathy, and adding a skill at acting, since Dive Bomb has cooking covered and it would help in her way of life to pretend to be somepony she's not.
    OOC
    IC
    Map

21. - Top - End - #141

Ok, here's my stats, copied from earlier in the thread. I'll mark any changes I make with bold text
    Spoiler
    Show

Grease Spot
    Earth Pony Mare
    Guiding Element: Generosity
    Special Purpose: Keeping the world running smoothly
    Cutie Mark: Oil can

Mind: 5
    Body: 4
    Heart: 3
    Energy: 9
    Courage: 8
    Fortitude: 7
    Willpower: 12

Talents: Strong, SensitiveAdaptable
    Jobs: Mechanic 4
    Skills: Magical Theory 1
    Metalwork 1
    Sewing 1
    Repair 1
    - 6 initial skill points (4 spent)
    Advancements: Toast of the Town (Canterlot)
    Extra Talented (Strong)
    XP: 40/60 spent

Notable Possessions: Her toolbags, which contain a variety of wrenches, screwdrivers, lubricant, and other tools necessary for her job. She is rarely seen without it.

I changed her Sensitive talent to Adaptable, like I said I would earlier on in the thread. I decided to keep her Guiding Element as Generosity, though, to show her attitude of spending her own time and talents to aid the rest of Equestria.

I used up her starting skill points, as well. I gave her Metalwork because I figured that she regularly has to modify her tools or create new ones. Sewing, similarly, came to mind because she made her signature saddlebags by hoof. Repair is simply an area of focus in her job that she's particularly good at.

I still have 20 XP which I plan to spend on skills (along with 2 skill points), which again will mostly be based on what skillsets we think the party is lacking.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, here's Dive Bomb, version 3.0, hopefully the final version.

Spoiler
    Show

Dive Bomb
    Pegasus colt
    Guiding Element: Kindness
    Cutie Mark: Blue Dictionary with gold A-Z
    Special Purpose: Record the knowledge of the world

Body: 3
    Heart: 1

Energy: 8
    Courage: 6
    Fortitude: 4
    Willpower: 9

Talents: Wary, Tireless
    Flaw: Shy.

Job: Chemist 3

Skills:
    Pharmaceutical medicine 3
    Research 2
    Explosives 1
    Cooking 1
    Weathercraft 5
    Aerobatics 5

XP spent: 25/25
    Egghead
    On the job training (Chemist)
    Skill up medicine (level 3)
    Skill up research (level 2)
    Awesome Aerobatics

Possessions: two small saddlebags--one contains practical medicines, the other small amounts of explosives and chemicals. He's also never without his notebook and pen.

It's interesting; when it came time to spend XP, I actually looked at it and was going to spend it on something different. Then, I looked at the awesome aerobatics, and said, "Yeah. That's something he'd have."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Phew. I've gone through the character stats you guys posted and have a bit of feedback on areas I think might need another looking at. More than happy to discuss, particularly if you think I got a calculation wrong ... it can happen!

One point for clarification; I read through the rules, and strictly speaking any XP spend on the Mind attribute does not confer additional skill/spell points at creation as XP spending occurs last in the flow of character creation.

I assumed that if you had increased your mind score, you used your attributes at creation to do that, and any subsequent attribute increase came from XP at the end, it only really impacted Dive Bomb because of how high he pushed the mind score.

Specific notes for each character are below;

Soot
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Soot still has one unspent skill point, and one unspent spell point.
    • "Telekinetic pickpocketing" is too narrow for a skill, just "pickpocketing" is fine!
    • A question I had while looking over this; Is Mind the dominant talent of Soot? She may be relatively quick thinking or inteligent (in which case take the appropriate talent), but has to contend with a lack of education. Surviving as she has on street smarts and guile, maybe her heart score higher? Also consider physical acrobatics being body based. (Sneaking, breaking into a house etc etc). Finally, thief skill seems appropriate only for a petty thief at that level, a professional would have a few more ranks in it.
    • Soots special purpose sounds a bit narrow. (Remember, this is special purpose, not just talent). Maybe stealing from the rich, or "ensuring equitable distribution of wealth" is something better? Happy to discuss.
    • 29/25 XP spent, largely due to additional aspect I think.

+1 to Body (10xp)
      +2 Magical Aspects (Forge, Reveal) (10xp)
      +1 to Thief skill (4xp)
      Uplifting Attitude (5xp)

Magic Spells:
    • There is one extra magical aspect up there that's unaccounted for (start with 5, bought 1, but have 7?)
    • Sneak in the shadows; If Soots intends to cast it on other ponies or objects, it needs an additional aspect to represent the step where she affixes the illusion to them (e.g. body or creature). This is fine if she only casts it on herself.
    • Hush now Quiet Now, should have a mind aspect and higher difficulty to represent overcoming resistance of other ponies. (likely a +1 difficulty given it is only temporary)
    • Detect life spell can be concentration based if you want (makes spell easier, but other checks, such as lockpicking, harder while in use). Correct in that it will only pick up sentient creatures without an additional aspect.

Grease Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 2 unspent skill points ... yeah, I got nothing. You got the skill points thing right and remembered that all earth pony XP spend is discounted by 1 ... I can't find anything wrong with Grease Spot.

+1 to Mind (9xp)
    +2 to Body (18xp)
    Toast of the Town (0xp)
    Extra Talented (4xp)
    +2 to Mechanic (9xp)

Dive Bomb

Spoiler
    Show
    • Feel that “Explosives” skill may be too broad, are we talking manufacture, using them or disarming bombs etc?
    • Similarly, cooking is too broad but I assume you mean home cooking, and not gourmet or the like.
    • Special purpose may be too narrow? Can get away with a bit more broad focus of “discover knowledge” not just record.
    • guiding element is kindness? That's surprising? Can you please explain the choice? (I had him pegged as magic personally)
    • Overspend on XP, largely due to skills I think. 31/25xp spent by my count.

+1 to Mind (10xp)
    +2 to Medicine (5xp)
    +1 to Research (2xp)
    +2 to Chemist (9xp)
    +1 to Aerobatics (5xp)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Dive Bomb

Spoiler
    Show
    • Feel that “Explosives” skill may be too broad, are we talking manufacture, using them or disarming bombs etc?
    • Similarly, cooking is too broad but I assume you mean home cooking, and not gourmet or the like.
    • Special purpose may be too narrow? Can get away with a bit more broad focus of “discover knowledge” not just record.
    • guiding element is kindness? That's surprising? Can you please explain the choice? (I had him pegged as magic personally)
    • Overspend on XP, largely due to skills I think. 31/25xp spent by my count.

+1 to Mind (10xp)
    +2 to Medicine (5xp)
    +1 to Research (2xp)
    +2 to Chemist (9xp)
    +1 to Aerobatics (5xp)
    Most of these were caused by my own misunderstanding of the system.

Spoiler
    Show

• I had assumed that you started with one job and one job point which could be used to either advance the job you had or create a new one. Upon looking at the rules, that is not the case. Let's put Chemist at 2, then. (XP 4)
    • Explosives means improvised explosives. For example, he can take some chemicals and rig it up into a smoke bomb, a flashbang, or a very small-yield explosive like a firework. Most of this comes from his experience with stunt flyer chemicals. He would be able to improvise something if he has the right things, but application would be limited to chucking it at something; he usually couldn't demolish a building or disarm a bomb. (If he did, it would be an accident or pure luck, respectively.)
    • I didn't know that the Egghead bonus doesn't apply to skills. Strictly speaking, this also means that his Weathercraft score drops to four, since that is based off of Mind.
    • Yeah, cooking is home cooking. After all, cooking is just applied chemistry with a subtle twist, right?
    • I picked kindness because all he really wants is to perfect the world, to help ponies, make sure that they don't get hurt. With that, it comes down to either kindness or generosity. Actually, rereading the descriptions, he's probably more generous than he is kind, since he's not particularly sensitive to other ponies' feelings. But magic also applies... Gah. This is where asking the mental construct comes in handy.
    • You're right about his special purpose. So, working on the guidelines: "My special purpose is to discover, recover, and record knowledge."

Revised stats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dive Bomb
    Pegasus colt
    Guiding Element: Magic
    Cutie Mark: Blue Dictionary with gold A-Z
    Special Purpose: Discover, recover, and record knowledge.

Body: 3
    Heart: 1

Energy: 8
    Courage: 6
    Fortitude: 4
    Willpower: 9

Talents: Wary, Tireless
    Flaw: Shy.

Job: Chemist 2

Skills:
    Pharmaceutical medicine 3
    Research 1
    Improvised Explosives 1
    Home Cooking 1
    Aerobatics 5
    Weathercraft 4

XP spent: 24/25
    Egghead 10 xp
    On the job training (Chemist level 2) 4xp
    Skill up medicine (level 3) 5 xp
    Awesome Aerobatics 5 xp
    1 xp remaining.

Possessions: two small saddlebags--one contains practical medicines, the other small amounts of explosives and chemicals. He's also never without his notebook and pen.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-09-25 at 01:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Grease Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 2 unspent skill points ... yeah, I got nothing. You got the skill points thing right and remembered that all earth pony XP spend is discounted by 1 ... I can't find anything wrong with Grease Spot.

+1 to Mind (9xp)
    +2 to Body (18xp)
    Toast of the Town (0xp)
    Extra Talented (4xp)
    +2 to Mechanic (9xp)
    Yay! I didn't fail!
    I think I will now do a bit of my XP expenditure, though I will still save 2 skill points and some XP for additional skills.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grease Spot
    Earth Pony Mare
    Guiding Element: Generosity
    Special Purpose: Keeping the world running smoothly
    Cutie Mark: Oil can

Body: 4
    Heart: 3
    Energy: 9
    Courage: 8
    Fortitude: 7
    Willpower: 12

Talents: Strong, SensitiveAdaptable
    Jobs: Mechanic 4
    Skills: Magical Theory 3
    Metalwork 3
    Sewing 1
    Repair 4
    ?
    ?
    - 6 initial skill points (4 spent)
    Advancements: Toast of the Town (Canterlot)
    Extra Talented (Strong)
    XP: 52/60 spent

Magical Theory +2 (3 XP)
    Metalwork +2 (3 XP)
    Repair +3 (6 XP)

Notable Possessions: Her toolbags, which contain a variety of wrenches, screwdrivers, lubricant, and other tools necessary for her job. She is rarely seen without it.

26. - Top - End - #146

Third try: I generally read the mind stat as more of natural cunning then education since it covers more broad subjects then the talent: Smart, like instincts, perception and the like.

Basically I read the stats as:
    Body= Strength, Constitution and Dexterity
    Mind= Intelligence and some parts of Wisdom (like Perception)
    Heart= Charisma and the other parts of Wisdom (like Insight)

However I did decide to give her more heart instead of Mind to help her with her Empathy. Taking your advice for the Robin Hood style Special purpose, but now am wondering if a cat is eintirely appropriate for a cutie mark seeing as how independent they are. For the low level in thief, I intend to improve it, but bear in mind that Soot is definately closer to a petty thief then Catmare right now.
    Didn't like the acting skill so decided to change it to Scavenging (finding all sorts of perfectly good things that people will throw away without a thought)

As far as the Magic goes, I read in the rules that Animate is granted for free, I guess since it's an exstension of natural Telekinesis or something. Because her mind is lower and I can't afford to get some of the aspects for some of the spells I'm going to wait until she has more experience and instead specialize in some and make the most with what I have. Removed the Light conjuration spell and the sleep spell and instead added a more personal version of the Lights out spell, afixing a darkness illusion to somone's eyes to blind them.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soot
    Unicorn Filly
    Body- 2, Heart-3, Mind 4 (+1 heart from advancements)
    Fortitude- 5, Energy- 6, Courage 7, Willpower 9
    Special Purpose: Redistribution of Wealth so that those without are cared for
    Skills: Stealth 1, Pickpocketing 1, Lockpicking 1, Scavenging 1

Magic:
    Aspects known: Telekinesis, Animate(Granted Free according to the rules), Light, Body, Deceive, Diminish, Reveal (+1 from new magic trick)

Spells known:
    Sneak in the Shadows
    Level 3
    Deceive, Light
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot shrouds herself to make light bend around her, rendering herself invisible to normal sight

Shrouded Sight
    Level 2
    Decieve, Light, Body
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot binds an illusory darkness to a target's eyes, rendering them blind as long as she concentrates

Lights Out
    Level 1
    Diminish, Light
    Difficulty- 5 (costs 1 willpower if it fails)

Detect Life
    Level 2
    Reveal, Body
    Range- Spectacle, Duration- Concentration
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot is able to sense the locations of sentient creatures in an area, useful to avoid guards, not so much for their dogs

Advancements:
    +1 Heart 10 pts,
    New Magic Trick 5 pts,

24/25 experience spent

Is this alright?
    OOC
    IC
    Map

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Third try: I generally read the mind stat as more of natural cunning then education since it covers more broad subjects then the talent: Smart, like instincts, perception and the like.

Basically I read the stats as:
    Body= Strength, Constitution and Dexterity
    Mind= Intelligence and some parts of Wisdom (like Perception)
    Heart= Charisma and the other parts of Wisdom (like Insight)

However I did decide to give her more heart instead of Mind to help her with her Empathy. Taking your advice for the Robin Hood style Special purpose, but now am wondering if a cat is eintirely appropriate for a cutie mark seeing as how independent they are. For the low level in thief, I intend to improve it, but bear in mind that Soot is definately closer to a petty thief then Catmare right now.
    Didn't like the acting skill so decided to change it to Scavenging (finding all sorts of perfectly good things that people will throw away without a thought)

As far as the Magic goes, I read in the rules that Animate is granted for free, I guess since it's an exstension of natural Telekinesis or something. Because her mind is lower and I can't afford to get some of the aspects for some of the spells I'm going to wait until she has more experience and instead specialize in some and make the most with what I have. Removed the Light conjuration spell and the sleep spell and instead added a more personal version of the Lights out spell, afixing a darkness illusion to somone's eyes to blind them.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soot
    Unicorn Filly
    Body- 2, Heart-3, Mind 4 (+1 heart from advancements)
    Fortitude- 5, Energy- 6, Courage 7, Willpower 9
    Special Purpose: Redistribution of Wealth so that those without are cared for
    Skills: Stealth 1, Pickpocketing 1, Lockpicking 1, Scavenging 1

Magic:
    Aspects known: Telekinesis, Animate(Granted Free according to the rules), Light, Body, Deceive, Diminish, Reveal (+1 from new magic trick)

Spells known:
    Sneak in the Shadows
    Level 3
    Deceive, Light
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot shrouds herself to make light bend around her, rendering herself invisible to normal sight

Shrouded Sight
    Level 2
    Decieve, Light, Body
    Difficulty- 3
    Soot binds an illusory darkness to a target's eyes, rendering them blind as long as she concentrates

Lights Out
    Level 1
    Diminish, Light
    Difficulty- 5 (costs 1 willpower if it fails)

Detect Life
    Level 2
    Reveal, Body
    Range- Spectacle, Duration- Concentration
    Difficulty- 3

Advancements:
    +1 Heart 10 pts,
    New Magic Trick 5 pts,

24/25 experience spent

Is this alright?
    Personally, I find it most helpful to think of the attributes in terms of World of Darkness attributes, with Mental, Physical, and Social attributes. It just falls easier that way. (Though I'm guess you're just familiar with D&D.)

Also, according to the spell rules, you don't have to have all the aspects of your spells to know them. Having an aspect means you can improvise with that aspect. You can have a "rote" spell with an aspect you can't improvise with, but you couldn't adjust that spell on the fly like you could with one where you have all the aspects.
    Or you could just read the way the book itself puts it:
    Magical Aspects and Spells
    The Magical Aspects a character knows, and
    the Spells a character knows, do not have to
    be related. Known Magical Aspects allow a
    character to improvise magic, giving them
    flexibility in spellcasting; whereas known
    Spells allow a character to practice magic
    more safely, and develop specific uses of
    magic, giving them stability and power. In
    terms of classic fantasy roleplaying, a Unicorn
    Pony is both a ‘Wizard’ and a ‘Sorcerer.
    And personally I thought that Acting fit well, but hey, it's your character.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    As far as the Magic goes, I read in the rules that Animate is granted for free, I guess since it's an exstension of natural Telekinesis or something.
    Colour me corrected then! As for the other changes, they all look good, although I'll have to impose a +1 difficulty modifier on the Shrouded Sight spell for similar reasons as before (namely you're doing something involuntary to another pony).

Up to you on the particular of the skills choices, both looked fine to me.

Also, according to the spell rules, you don't have to have all the aspects of your spells to know them. Having an aspect means you can improvise with that aspect. You can have a "rote" spell with an aspect you can't improvise with, but you couldn't adjust that spell on the fly like you could with one where you have all the aspects.

This is a pretty good point to clarify, and I'm going to add this to the OP Magic Guide.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. So things you want your character to be a master at no matter what should be known aspects, but things you want to do, specifically, you aren't bound by aspects. Rarity can trasnform fabric, but she can only do so to create an outfit; This is a known spell but she doesn' have the aspects to wing it.

Twilight Sparkle seems to have a slew of rotes, and a few core aspects.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I've been working with Dive Bomb to figure out a bit more about him, specifically his mannerisms. As noted before, he is a very cautious, reserved pony, and it carries over to his speech; he usually doesn't say much at all, preferring to observe until the ideal time. When speaking, his voice is calm and quiet unless he's stressed or angry, when he develops a stammer.

His body language is much more expressive, since most of it is instinctual. His wings play a large part in that when he's on the ground; they bristle when he's angry, droop to his sides when he's sad, flare out when he's startled, and raise halfway when he's beginning to get irritated with someone. He's also acquired the habit of hovering in place when he's thinking about a difficult question.

He is very protective of his personal space, though usually this just takes the form of him avoiding people who encroach thereon. Touching him, and touching his wings in particular, are good ways to rapidly earn his dislike and ire respectively.

He likes all kinds of music, though he has a special fond spot for the great pegasus military anthems and other bombastic tunes. (Think Sousa and the 1812 overture.) He'll often hum along to such music, perhaps closing his eyes and 'conducting' for a bit. He doesn't know how to play any instruments, but admires those who do.