Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Has anyone actually watched this?

    DND 3 Book Of Vile Darkness

    After watching the trailer I am very hesitant about watching this and was wondering if anyone has actually seen this?

    I actually liked the second one but thought the first one was very weak and not just because of having beholders as guard dogs or a rogue who doesn't know what he can do nor that jumping off the top means taking less damage than letting a fighter beat the living daylights out of you before you take the jump anyway...

    So... has this been shown on Scy Fi?
    Or is it so bad they won't show it?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Interesting can't find this on the Amazon site but its listed on the Amazon UK site... makes you wonder doesn't it?!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Wiki seems to say it's only this far being released on DVD in the UK. Amazon.co.uk suggests a 17th of September release.

    Colour me generally unimpressed. D&D 1 was... on the same level as Hawk the Slayer, but for different reasons (and it could have been slightly better if they'd left in all the cut scenes). D&D 2 actually felt more like a D&D movie, but was still fairly forgettable.

    So I'm not holding out much hope, except maybe that it's bad enough fodder for FilmBrain or Phelous or Mike J or someone on TGWTG.

    I mean, there is a chance that it'll actually be good, but I'm honestly not banking on it.

    *watches trailer*

    No. No, I totally wrong on that point. That looks absolutely dreadful. And I mean, on top of it looking like a pretty awful movie, it has appalling aethetic design.

    And again, strongly looking like it's missing the whole "adventuring party" motief that's, y'know, kinda most central to D&D, like period.

    Also... is that guy with the face plate supposed to be the advertised mind-flayer...? Because... just... NO.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pffh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    The only good D&D movie is Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

    Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

    My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    "The classic saga returns."

    I'm sorry, but at what point in last 12 years did these films become classics?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-09-06 at 10:05 AM.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    The only good D&D movie is Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising.
    "How much experience do I get for the farmer?"
    Quote Originally Posted by M'aiq the Liar
    The Wood Elves are not made of wood and the Sea Elves are not made of water. M'aiq still wonders about the High Elves.
    Nexus Character: Faceless J

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pokonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Malbolge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    "The classic saga returns."

    I'm sorry, but at what point in last 12 years did these films become classics?
    The same time Twilight became a childrens classic in fine literature, which actualy means that that claim is so full of bull it forms a pile so high you could touch the clouds if you dared to scale it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    Spoiler: Old avatars
    Show


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    The same time Twilight became a childrens classic in fine literature, which actualy means that that claim is so full of bull it forms a pile so high you could touch the clouds if you dared to scale it.
    1000 years from now, Future Archeologists will unearth a present-day library filled with remnants and fragments of ancient texts. One will be enshrined as an example of 21st-century religion, the cover of a book displaying two hands cupping an apple (a clear symbol of growth and rebirth) with the title Twilight (obviously the religion's word for death, so it must have been a sun-worshipping cult where darkness was equated with endings or eternity).
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pokonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Malbolge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    1000 years from now, Future Archeologists will unearth a present-day library filled with remnants and fragments of ancient texts. One will be enshrined as an example of 21st-century religion, the cover of a book displaying two hands cupping an apple (a clear symbol of growth and rebirth) with the title Twilight (obviously the religion's word for death, so it must have been a sun-worshipping cult where darkness was equated with endings or eternity).
    Would what little remains of the off-hand remarks about a 'Black Family" and "Cullins" be tied to nacient darkness-cults with aspects of nature worship and a force of removal and death respectivly?

    I wonder how they will think of the hefty Seven-book account of increadbly powerful humans who hide from the general population, being mostly isolationist and were noted to be feared by mankind in ages past, who's accounts of fighting and warfare with dreadful items and abilities are now seen as the bodies of myths and stories from the pre-biometal times? After all, it does carry some similarity to the "Twilight" texts, seeing as each text presumably focuses on a single time period, with a name indicating a main center tale. It is currantly belived that the sixth book, for example, contains the story of a demigod who eventualy sets up the events for the final myth ark, in which the forces of darkness are triumped over in the final battle against good and evil.

    Also related to that main body is that of the "D-Files", which seems to be a sort of folk tale colection, bearing little relation to the main myths yet seemingly sharing at least one figure, who varies in power and abilites between the two works greatly.

    Amusingly related to this topic, the first thread I ever made on these forums was about a cryptic remark about a "Book of Vile Darkness" movie. Ah, how horrible my grammer was.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-09-06 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    Spoiler: Old avatars
    Show


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Why are the worlds we posit for future archeologists to find always more interesting than the world we actually live in?
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Oh... oh wow that looks awful.

    It's so bad that it might have actually passed as a parody if it wasn't for thefact that they're trying.

    There's a reason SyFy has delayed it's release for so long... and I think it's because D&D3 is a holocaust of film even by their standards.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sanguine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Elemental Pole of Oil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    I wonder how they will think of the hefty Seven-book account of increadbly powerful humans who hide from the general population, being mostly isolationist and were noted to be feared by mankind in ages past, who's accounts of fighting and warfare with dreadful items and abilities are now seen as the bodies of myths and stories from the pre-biometal times? After all, it does carry some similarity to the "Twilight" texts, seeing as each text presumably focuses on a single time period, with a name indicating a main center tale. It is currantly belived that the sixth book, for example, contains the story of a demigod who eventualy sets up the events for the final myth ark, in which the forces of darkness are triumped over in the final battle against good and evil.
    I feel stupid for having to ask, but which series is this?
    Avatar by Elagune

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Empedocles's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I feel stupid for having to ask, but which series is this?
    I want to say Harry Potter.....but I don't feel like that's right.
    Extended Signature here.

    Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

    SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pokonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Malbolge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I feel stupid for having to ask, but which series is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    I want to say Harry Potter.....but I don't feel like that's right.
    Harry Potter, yep yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    Spoiler: Old avatars
    Show


  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Hiro Protagonest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    I want to say Harry Potter.....but I don't feel like that's right.
    Aaaaand I checked the little "topic review" thing and noticed I was ninja'd.

    If they're particularly lucky, the archaeologists might even find some books detailing the myths of the Great Old Ones, who will return to devour the world.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Gnomish Wanderer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    As often as possible
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    I have seen the trailer [earlier today, actually] and I think the movie looks good, certainly at least on par with the quality that Syfy produces if not better.

    Yeah, maybe I just love the longshots? But seriously, I am excited to watch that movie...
    Ms. Creative by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler: Green?
    Show
    GREEN IS NOT A CREATIVE COLOR
    I Use My Hair To Express Myself!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    I have seen the trailer [earlier today, actually] and I think the movie looks good, certainly at least on par with the quality that Syfy produces if not better.

    Yeah, maybe I just love the longshots? But seriously, I am excited to watch that movie...
    Really? The trailers for their movies are THAT bad?!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    The same time Twilight became a childrens classic in fine literature, which actualy means that that claim is so full of bull it forms a pile so high you could touch the clouds if you dared to scale it.


    If you listen carefully, you can just about hear Frank Herbert turning in his grave.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-09-07 at 06:25 AM.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ferelden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Inspired by this thread, I have embarked on a bold experiment: I've now purchased this film, sight unseen (from Play, mind - three quid cheaper than Amazon).

    I will not watch the trailer before it arrives, nor will I wiki any details about it; I shall watch it unspoiled, the better to let the epicness/craptitude enthrall me.

    (However, I did notice while buying it that, rather encouragingly for a fan of wonky cinema, it stars absolutely no-one that I have ever heard of.)

    Expect a full review - whether you want it or not - in due course.


    This is gonna be awesome/horrifying!
    Last edited by Senator Cybus; 2012-09-07 at 06:09 PM.
    I have a cookie now! (::) I've licked it, so no backsies.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Cybus View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I have embarked on a bold experiment: I've now purchased this film, sight unseen (from Play, mind - three quid cheaper than Amazon).

    I will not watch the trailer before it arrives, nor will I wiki any details about it; I shall watch it unspoiled, the better to let the epicness/craptitude enthrall me.

    (However, I did notice while buying it that, rather encouragingly for a fan of wonky cinema, it stars absolutely no-one that I have ever heard of.)

    Expect a full review - whether you want it or not - in due course.


    This is gonna be awesome/horrifying!
    Well done, that chimera! Way to (very likely) take one for the team!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ferelden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well done, that chimera! Way to (very likely) take one for the team!
    Hurrah for the spirit of adventure! Hurrah for shockingly poor impulse control/booze/mostly booze!
    I have a cookie now! (::) I've licked it, so no backsies.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Clip fromthe movie

    Found this in my search for a review of whether this movie is really that bad that even Scy fi wouldn't want to show it on their channel...

    I actually thought it was fine, now had they used that for the trailer there would have been less complaints, not no complaints just less.

    If this is 4e someone tell the fighter your job is to stay out of the way of the flying reptile and then charge it as it lands and take the wings out so it can't fly away it also helps if you're fire resistant... i said fire resistant not wearing demon armour!

    Hey isn't that a warlock? Nice at least one of them has their head on straight!

    Ooh the blue skinned half giant is going to give the dragon his spear of lightning... good for him now fighter take notice that is how you should be doing this no greatsword have two one handed weapons and have one also be a ranged weapon of mass destruction!

    Almost tempts me to buy it! Well almost!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-09-12 at 04:16 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    JoshL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Not watching the trailer, as that I know the DVD will end up in my collection. The first is such an amusingly bad movie...the only actually redeeming factor was Jeremy Irons realizing it was a crap film and hamming it up to 11! Still, the movie cracks me up every time.

    The second is low-budgety and they definitely could have used another couple passes on the dialogue, but not only did it feel like D&D, it benefited from not being the first. My girlfriend has a much lesser tolerance for low-budget, so she had a hard time sitting through it (and little taste for bad movies, so she can't stomach the first at all).

    So yeah, neither good movies, but I enjoy them both for different reasons. I totally get people who don't enjoy them. I've been waiting for the new one for ages. If it's passable, I'll enjoy watching it. If it's terrible, I'll probably still enjoy watching it. And, hey, naming it Book of Vile Darkness already ties it into D&D lore way more than the first ever was...

    And the Gamers, of course, rocks. Can't wait for 3! In a different direction, I'd recommend The Wild Hunt (drama/horror about a LARP gone wrong)...also pretty low-budget/indie, but really good. You see the end coming from a mile away and it's STILL intense. I dig that.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    An Enemy Spy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    "The third installment of the internationally renowned epic fantasy series."

    Unless this is Return of the King accidently given the wrong cover on the website, I have no idea what series they mean by this.
    New World: What's it about? Fencing Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lot's of Bad Men. Lot's of Good Men., Two or Three Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles and a Little Sex. In short, it's about Pokemon.here

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    "The third installment of the internationally renowned epic fantasy series."

    Unless this is Return of the King accidently given the wrong cover on the website, I have no idea what series they mean by this.
    Djibouti and Liechtenstein are countries too, you know. There are a lot of countries out there, all it takes for that to be true is for the movies to be renowned in at least two of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Iku Rex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    I've seen it, and I thought it was pretty decent. I don't regret watching it.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Djibouti and Liechtenstein are countries too, you know. There are a lot of countries out there, all it takes for that to be true is for the movies to be renowned in at least two of them.
    Hey now. On behalf of our semi-attached neighbour country, I should be offended by that!
    "You raise your baton. The glass kettle drums pound out the the overture. Your vision clouds with blood. You wipe it away and continue. The xylophonist's hair bursts into a violet flame, but he continues playing. He's either a consummate professional or very drunk indeed..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Hiro Protagonest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    "The third installment of the internationally renowned epic fantasy series."

    Unless this is Return of the King accidently given the wrong cover on the website, I have no idea what series they mean by this.
    "Internationally" just means it has to be known in at least two countries. "Renowned" doesn't say why it's renowned.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-16 at 07:09 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hey now. On behalf of our semi-attached neighbour country, I should be offended by that!
    I is confused by your comment and your listed location of Sydney.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pffh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Has anyone actually watched this?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I is confused by your comment and your listed location of Sydney.
    They move Liechtenstein down south for the winter.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-09-16 at 08:44 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

    Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

    My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •