New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: ProgrammersitP

1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ProgrammersitP

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Does anyone here have any skill with C systems programming? I've been trying to read file permissions of all files in a directory, but everything comes up [----------] (i.e. 000) when I lstat() and bitwise & to check the flag.
    My guess is that the variable you're ANDing the permissions with is incorrect somehow, like you forgot to initialize the value or it's shifted one bit to the left or something. Can you post the code?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    My guess is that the variable you're ANDing the permissions with is incorrect somehow, like you forgot to initialize the value or it's shifted one bit to the left or something. Can you post the code?
    It was actually a silly mistake. I was looping through and forgot to update the current path, so it was always one-behind the index (i.e. reading the above directory permissions).

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

I want that everytime I`ll press the print screen key it would automatically save the generated image in some folder.
    I`m assuming I can somehow accsess the code preformed by keyboard buttons, but I have no idea how to even approach the issue. Some directions would be greatly appreciated.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you want to capture a keypress like that then you need to write an application that implements a system-wide keyboard hook. Doing that is really getting down and dirty in the oily bits of Windows, though, not something you want to be doing unless you're really good at this sort of thing.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    I want that everytime I`ll press the print screen key it would automatically save the generated image in some folder.
    I`m assuming I can somehow accsess the code preformed by keyboard buttons, but I have no idea how to even approach the issue. Some directions would be greatly appreciated.
    I think what you want instead is an AutoHotKey script.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you want to capture a keypress like that then you need to write an application that implements a system-wide keyboard hook. Doing that is really getting down and dirty in the oily bits of Windows, though, not something you want to be doing unless you're really good at this sort of thing.
    Fortunately for the rest of us, there's AutoIt.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Fortunately for the rest of us, there's AutoIt.
    Hm, this actually looks rather nifty.

Unrelated note... Does anyone know of a pure-python implementation of Subversion or Mercurial? I'm looking for something similar to Dulwich (for GitHub).

Or even better, a pure-python implementation of Git-Hg and Git-Svn ...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, this actually looks rather nifty.
    Legend has it that AutoHotKey is a fork of an earlier, open source version of AutoIt.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm back with another private/protected/public question:

Why is it recommended to have private variables in an abstract class then use getters and setters in subclasses? I heard this from a TA today and the logic makes no sense. I can understand no non-private variables in most classes, but not for use with subclasses. Why wouldn't you just make them protected if you want those fields to be in the subclass?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Why is it recommended to have private variables in an abstract class then use getters and setters in subclasses? I heard this from a TA today and the logic makes no sense. I can understand no non-private variables in most classes, but not for use with subclasses. Why wouldn't you just make them protected if you want those fields to be in the subclass?
    A quick guess is that it would let someone subclass your class as a means for accessing and manipulating the variables directly without using the getters/setters, which would break the encapsulation.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251

BardGuy

I know this one! I actually did exactly what you had done - some physics variable was being retrieved by many bits, including derived subclasses.

Also - in C++ at least - derived classes don't have access to the base classes private parts*but do have access to the getters and setters for precisely this reason.
    * Hehe - "private parts".
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    A common school of thought is to keep a variable private unless it you have situation:

Code:
    class Foo {
    private:
        Bar x;
    public:
        Bar getX() const {return x;}
        void setX(Bar val) {x = val;}
    };
    You might as well just make x public, right?

However, I have found that I've been in this situation and I've wanted to replace x* with something else (whenever I used it it was being converted into different units which weren't human friendly) so I changed it to get() and set() functions which would do the conversion for me because this conversion was happening thousands of times per frame and became a real bottleneck.

This made me wish I'd kept x private and just used get()/set() functions for it because I could have just changed the class definition. As it was I had to go and change the many references to it by hand. :-(

*It wasn't actually called x. I forget what exactly it was.

12. - Top - End - #252

I think what you want instead is an AutoHotKey script.
    Thanks. I used it, and now I have a problem.

I managed to write a code that would save the print screen image (spoilered below), but I can`t seem to find the right image format.
    Will I have to append some bytes so it would fit a specific image format? Is there a format I can save print screen images directly in?

Spoiler
    Show

OnClipboardChange:
    if A_EventInfo = 2
    FileAppend, %ClipboardAll%, D:\print screen\screen.bmp
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. I used it, and now I have a problem.

I managed to write a code that would save the print screen image (spoilered below), but I can`t seem to find the right image format.
    Will I have to append some bytes so it would fit a specific image format? Is there a format I can save print screen images directly in?

Spoiler
    Show

OnClipboardChange:
    if A_EventInfo = 2
    FileAppend, %ClipboardAll%, D:\print screen\screen.bmp
    All files have a file header detailing what types of files they represent (and probably some other meta-data too). Without this header, your files are just going to be considered complete nonsense by the operative system. I suggest you either read up on how to save data in specific file formats, or just try to find a program to do it for you.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    So, I was wondering if there was anyone involved or wanting to get into programming in the playground, and just had a few questions:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Where are you and what are you doing in terms of programming? Employment, education or in your spare time?
    I have a BS in Electrical Engineering (woo whoop). I did well in the Firmware classes because I learned about programming during high school (from a book and help with a friend and internet sources). I have a job (9 months now) where my main responsibility is related to firmware for rapid prototype design. I'm supposed to be faster and better than a hobbyist but in practice it's a lot like someone being payed to do specific things with more complexity than say an Arduino.

Embedded firmware is simple and frustrating, so I don't recommend it, it's so non-glorious. Say you have a button. Pressing it should be simple, right? But for firmware, debouncing is non-trivial and it depends on how the button is physically made and what the user is supposed to do with it. It's not a big deal for one button, but little things add up.

15. What language or languages are you using primarily at the moment? What's your favourite, and why?
I do everything I can in C and very rarely I need to/want to go down to the assembler level. We usually use Microchip's PIC microcontrollers and they have their own IDE called MPLAB. I hate it. Code::Blocks is better, MVSC better, but MPLAB works. The firmware debugger is funny because in non-simulate modes it runs on the microcontroller and takes hardware input.

I don't know of any microcontrollers running Java or Python so I've ignored them so far. Speed counts for more than usual because of hardware timing issues. I've heard of OOP MCUs with a whole operating system but never had to use one. Maybe for fun I'd try to learn higher end languages, because learning about computer science is useful for this job.

• Where do you hope to go with your programming? Any plans for the future, or just waiting to see if anything of interest comes along?
  • I like videogames too I guess, they're fun to think about. I'm looking at some of these tutorials in my spare time: http://www.lazyfoo.net/

To be honest, I liked other parts of Electrical Engineering better. Programming is neat and fun but I have lots of other talent too and I don't want to be stuck with button contraptions when I know about transistors and antennas. It doesn't help that I don't think of myself as a programmer. When computer science people talk about networks or whatever it goes over my head. Complex stuff like USB protocols are usually handled by some outside programmer who releases his code under acceptable (free) conditions.

• Any projects, personal or otherwise, you're in the middle of? Anything you're really focused on?
  • I don't want to talk about work. I'd like to think I'm making a game, but it's a once a month thing.

• What environment do you work/prefer to work in? Netbeans/Eclipse/Command line and a text editor?
  • I like the IDEs with a debugger like Code::Blocks or Visual Studio. Catches my frequent and stupid mistakes.

• Any problems that are driving you mad? A piece of code not compiling right, or being off by one, or one little syntax error in a sea of code? Not quite grasping the logic of a particular piece of code?

• Here's something I could use help with:

What really ticks me off at work at the moment is version control. We don't have a standard for it and I'm expected to think of sensible and helpful names for versions of a project to save in a server. And it's useful to save many versions with embedded code because things can break for very unexpected reasons.

What kind of free, simple version control could I sell to my boss? It's a small design firm so I think spending money is out of the question, and we're on the overworked side too.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• - Top - End - #255

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    What kind of free, simple version control could I sell to my boss? It's a small design firm so I think spending money is out of the question, and we're on the overworked side too.
    SVN is free, and TortoiseSVN is an extremely simple to use Windows client for it, so I'd say that.

• - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

well I consider git to be far superior to svn, though svn is more easy to learn.

Especially if you want to have many different versions then the branching feature will be invaluable.

Though it does take maybe a day to learn git (depending on level of competence)

• - Top - End - #257

BarbarianGuy

I found this while listening to "Security Now" Tiobe Software It is a list of 100 programming languages popularity/use

• - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Can someone help me with some code? Long story, but I'm analyzing the correlation between two different movie rating systems. I would manually sort all the data for χē for homogeneity, but there's well over 1000 entries. I know there's an error in the output from a manual search (ctrl-F), but I can't figure out where the error would be. Instead of trying to figure it out (I seriously can't tell where it'd go wrong), I figured I'd just ask you guys for help.

(I just need help with incrementing the array. I know the file input part is working)

Rating system 1: A-I, A-II, A-III, L, O
    Rating system 2: G, PG, PG-13, R, Not Rated

I have an int[5][5] named arr where I'm storing the counts. 0 is A-I/G, 4 is Not Rated/O

reader.nextLine() = [Movie title, possibly with commas in it], [rating 1] ([rating 2])
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

• - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can someone help me with some code? Long story, but I'm analyzing the correlation between two different movie rating systems. I would manually sort all the data for χē for homogeneity, but there's well over 1000 entries. I know there's an error in the output from a manual search (ctrl-F), but I can't figure out where the error would be. Instead of trying to figure it out (I seriously can't tell where it'd go wrong), I figured I'd just ask you guys for help.

(I just need help with incrementing the array. I know the file input part is working)

I have an int[5][5] named arr where I'm storing the counts. 0 is A-I/G, 4 is Not Rated/O

reader.nextLine() = [Movie title, possibly with commas in it], [rating 1] ([rating 2])
    I'd say create a temporary String to hold the result from nextLine, parse it to get rating1 and rating2 as integers, then you have arr[rating1][rating2]++.
    Side note: you probably want a more specific name than arr, call it ratingCounter or something.

• - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

You forgot the X rating. Or is that not in your database?

• - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You forgot the X rating. Or is that not in your database?
    Oh, and NC-17 too.

• - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Need help again (I need to start asking in the middle of the week).

Spoiler
    Show

"Code the Add button's Click event procedure so that it adds the amounts entered by the user to an accumulator variable and then displays the variable's value in the lblSales control. Use an arithmetic assignment operator to update the acumulator. Display the total sales with a dollar sign and two decimal places."

The other one I need help with.

Spoiler
    Show
    Public Class frmMain

Private Sub btnExit_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
    Me.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub btnClickMe_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClickMe.Click
    ' blinks the message in the lblMessage control

' declare counter variable
    Dim intCount As Integer

' begin counting
    intCount = 1
    Do While intCount <= 20
    If lblMessage.Visible = False Then
    lblMessage.Visible = True
    Else
    lblMessage.Visible = False
    End If
    Me.Refresh()
    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(250)
    ' update the counter variable
    intCount = intCount + 1
    Loop
    End Sub
    End Class

"Change the pretest loop in the btnClickMe control's Click event procedure to a posttest loop that uses the Until keyword."

A step-by-step guide would be preferable, if possible.

• - Top - End - #263

BlackDragon

Are you asking us to do your homework for you? Because you won't learn anything if you just follow what we say by rote...

Just a note on the second problem: it's basically just asking you to change the Do While test...Loop construct to a Do...Loop Until test one. You just need to change the test around so it works properly (bear in mind that While keeps going while the test is TRUE, whereas Until keeps going *until* the test is true, e.g. while it's false; also note that putting the test at the end of the loop means the code in the loop will be executed before the test is carried out, so there's a potential off-by-one issue you'll need to figure out).

• - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a pretty tough nut to crack atm,
    For an android project I have to display a route between two or more points on a mapview, in previous projects I just used a webview which worked fine.

This time however due to extra features I have to implement it into a mapactivity (sherlockmapactivity for actionbar in lower api versions)

The route calculation and displaying works all well (if a bit slow with the repsonse parsing but not really an issue).

However I noticed pretty extreme fps drops, further inspection seems to indicate that the mapview redraws every single overlay constantly.

With less complex overlays its no problem but a route is rather complex (and due to a 4.2.2 "bug" (maybe intended) I canīt use path but have to use line instead (which sucks performance wise).

the draw code in the Overlay extending subclass with some effort to reduce the number of lines displayed to enhance performace a bit.
    this code is called several times even if the mapview does not change

Code:
    @Override
        public final void draw(final Canvas c, final MapView mv,final boolean shadow) {
            super.draw(c, mv, false);
            int x1 = -1;
            int y1 = -1;
            int x2 = -1;
            int y2 = -1;

Log.d(TAG,"DRAW");

Paint paint = new Paint();
            paint.setStyle(Paint.Style.STROKE);
            paint.setStrokeJoin(Paint.Join.ROUND);
            paint.setStrokeCap(Paint.Cap.ROUND);
            paint.setColor(colour);
            paint.setStrokeWidth(STROKE);

for ( int i = 0; i < routePoints.size(); i++ )
            {
                int detailInc = 8;
                Point point = new Point();
                mv.getProjection().toPixels( routePoints.get( i ), point );
                x2 = point.x;
                y2 = point.y;
                if ( i > 0 )
                {
                    if(x1+detailInc < x2 || y1+detailInc < y2 || x1-detailInc > x2 || y1-detailInc > y2){

if(y1 < mv.getHeight()+100 && y1 > -100 && x1 < mv.getWidth()+100 && x1 > -100){
                            c.drawLine( x1, y1, x2, y2, paint );
                        }
                        x1 = x2;
                        y1 = y2;
                    }
                }else{
                    x1 = x2;
                    y1 = y2;
                }

}
        }

The functionality inside the mapview is pretty standard, just adding it to the overlays.

So has anyone any idea how to fix the constant redraws?
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2013-02-24 at 01:41 PM.

• - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I think I found a solution, ItemizedOverlay draw is only called twice when nothing changes (normal + shadow).
    So I think I will put the route into an itemized overlay (although google said to put complex shapes into overlay subclass).

that was a bit premature, problem is still there
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2013-02-24 at 03:16 PM.

• - Top - End - #266

I`m looking at browser games development tools.
    There is applets in Java, but I think other things (like flash) will be more suitable. My plan is to try a few tools that are supposed to be good, and from that pick my favourite.
    So I know that there are applets in Java, flash, and I heard Ruby is good for web development...
    What else is out there? What do you recommend?
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

• - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay for those interested I "solved" my issue, well the mapview still redraws constantly but I managed to
    a) understand android 4.2.2 behaviour regarding what it draws on the map and what not
    b)increase the draw performance by roughly 2000%

firstly android 4.2.2 only draws objects where either the beginning or the end are within the displayed area plus half the span (or the center point plus the span).
    With this information you can once again use path instead of line (which is a ton faster to draw and has build in optimization).

the most important parts of the RouteOverlay:

the draw override:
    Code:
      @Override
        public boolean draw(final Canvas c, MapView mv,final boolean shadow, long when) {
            super.draw(c, mv, false);
            if(shadow){
                return false;
            }
            paint.setColor(colour);
            paint.setAlpha(ALPHA);
            paint.setAntiAlias(true);
            paint.setStrokeWidth(STROKE);
            paint.setStyle(Paint.Style.STROKE);
            optimize(mv);
            redrawPath(mv);
            c.drawPath(path, paint);

return false;

}
    the optimize method which removes all geopoints outside the displayable bounds
    Code:
      private List<GeoPoint> optimize(MapView mv){
            optimizedRoutePoints = new ArrayList<GeoPoint>();
            GeoPoint leftTop = new GeoPoint(mv.getMapCenter().getLatitudeE6()-mv.getLatitudeSpan(),mv.getMapCenter().getLongitudeE6()-mv.getLongitudeSpan());
            GeoPoint rightBottom = new GeoPoint(mv.getMapCenter().getLatitudeE6()+mv.getLatitudeSpan(),mv.getMapCenter().getLongitudeE6()+mv.getLongitudeSpan());
            for(int i = 0; i < routePoints.size();i++){
                if(routePoints.get(i).getLatitudeE6() > leftTop.getLatitudeE6() && routePoints.get(i).getLatitudeE6() < rightBottom.getLatitudeE6()
                        && routePoints.get(i).getLongitudeE6() > leftTop.getLongitudeE6() && routePoints.get(i).getLongitudeE6() < rightBottom.getLongitudeE6() )
                {
                    optimizedRoutePoints.add(routePoints.get(i));
                }

}
            return optimizedRoutePoints;
        }
    redrawPath:
    Code:
     private void redrawPath(MapView mv){
            final Projection prj = mv.getProjection();
            path.rewind();
            final Iterator<GeoPoint> it = optimizedRoutePoints.iterator();
            prj.toPixels(it.next(), p);
            path.moveTo(p.x, p.y);
            while (it.hasNext()) {
                prj.toPixels(it.next(), p);
                path.lineTo(p.x, p.y);
            }
            path.setLastPoint(p.x, p.y);
        }
    One could optimize it further by having the mapview implement a zoom and motion listener and saving restoring the optimized route so that optimize is only called when the mapview has actually changed, but Iīm perfectly happy with the current result even on my very low end test android, so I see no need for it atm

• - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Does anyone know the best way for a mechanical engineer to learn the following:

BASH in Linux
    Creating Make files using FORTRAN

To be more specific, I have already self taught myself quite a bit in BASH, but there is so much more I do not know. I have a little helpful cheat sheet with command line codes and such, but it barely scratches the basics.

I can get by moving around in directories, creating/moving/renaming them. I can get by with transferring files (via a GUI). Still having problems doing it by line based.

I can create FORTRAN files, compile them, and create an executable file which I can then run from the BASH.

My point is, is there a very good, very helpful cheat sheet which explains in depth every command along with every subcommand that you can use to define it even more?

Or is it better to learn from someone who knows BASH and have them teach me?

Same with creating Make files in FORTRAN?
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

• - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

I`m looking at browser games development tools.
    There is applets in Java, but I think other things (like flash) will be more suitable. My plan is to try a few tools that are supposed to be good, and from that pick my favourite.
    So I know that there are applets in Java, flash, and I heard Ruby is good for web development...
    What else is out there? What do you recommend?
    You can do some really cool things with Javascript/WebGL. Add HTML5, and you could make a full game engine.

• - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathslayer7 View Post
    My point is, is there a very good, very helpful cheat sheet which explains in depth every command along with every subcommand that you can use to define it even more?
    Ta-da! It's not completely comprehensive, but it's much better than most.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

• Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast