Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good free RPGs

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good free RPGs

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    Wait, you want Indie AND NOT Rules light?
    Then you should look into Legend, linked above by Geostationary, which I will gladly second the recommendation for. It's lighter than 3.5, but still fairly sophisticated.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

Play Legend. / Legend IRC.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just a note, look at 1km1kt.net. They have a bunch of free RPG's with any theme you care to name.
    If I am slow to respond, it is because I just restarted playing Skyrim I'm updating a ton of damn tables.

"The only difference between homebrew and third-party content is a price tag." -Me, just now.

Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.

My Homebrew-[Nexus] Bailey

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Diaspora is a fairly crunchy indie game based off of FATE. I believe it's stated to be a hard sci-fi game, including a communal universe-building session to kick things off.
    Ludicrus Gaming | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget Dungeons: The Dragoning 40,000 (7th edition), which may or may not be 'good' but is definitely AWESOME.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Then you should look into Legend, linked above by Geostationary, which I will gladly second the recommendation for. It's lighter than 3.5, but still fairly sophisticated.
    Not a fan of Legend, but thanks.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rkarnes View Post
    that's actually very, very awesome.
    Oh my God, my eyes, what were they thinking putting black and blue on pink...

I actually have few of those lying around, never got a chance to play them, but one day, one day I hope to:

Dawn of Worlds - players are gods, who create completely new world.

Song Of The Sidhe - Adventures in world of Celtic mythology

Mekton Zeta and Giant Guardian Generation are for Super Robots Wars-esque style of game (there is at least another free SRW rpg out there, but I lost the link for it), through the latter has official rules to turn it into Super Sentai/Keman Rider type of game. And when we're at giant robots, there are two versions of Adeptus Evangelion, fix to Dark Heresy allowing you to play your own version of NGE.

Traveller - I heard nothing about it aside that it's popular SF RPG and apparently it's SDR is free.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Traveller - I heard nothing about it aside that it's popular SF RPG and apparently it's SDR is free.
    I dunno about the new edition, but classic Traveller was semi-hard SF (it has psionics), and tended to be about a bunch of veterans chugging around the galaxy trying to make a credit by fair means or foul.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    I dunno about the new edition, but classic Traveller was semi-hard SF (it has psionics), and tended to be about a bunch of veterans chugging around the galaxy trying to make a credit by fair means or foul.
    New edition or old, if you want a good idea of what a typical Traveller game plays like, just go watch Firefly. I swear Joss Whedon must have played Traveller at some point before making that show...
    I apologise if I come across agressive. I'm the sort of person that will poke a wasps nest, just to see what happens. I don't hate you, I just like a good argument

Credit for Avvytar to drKarling (based on original artwork by Squaff, in turn based on Spectre, a character of my creation)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

I actually think that Dogs in the Vineyard is a better fit for Firefly. In Firefly, the story is only superficially about gettin' them credits an' keepin' ol' girl flyin'. Really, it was about the fundamental changes that Mal and his crew brought to the places they visited. It was about doing the right thing, even when that wasn't the smart thing or the profitable thing. It was about holding the freedom of the individual and the inherent goodness of common folk in higher regard than making a buck or giving the Union the finger.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #40

Dawn of Worlds - players are gods, who create completely new world.
    Dawn of Worlds isn't actually an RPG. It is lots of fun though. My group has been playing it to create our next campaign world.

Follow my blog!
    If you haven't yet, you should give League of Legends a try.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Come try Heroes Against Darkness, the free, fast and flexible modern d20 RPG:
    http://heroesagainstdarkness.blogspot.com

12. - Top - End - #42

Now that I've played it, I'm going to suggest Magical Burst, by Ewen Cluney. It's still in rough draft, but it's fully playable as is.

It's got the magical girl anime genre down pat, and is highly influenced by Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but even if that's not your bag, I'd atleast flip through it for inspiration. The change tables and the relationship mechanics are total genius.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Now that I've played it, I'm going to suggest Magical Burst, by Ewen Cluney. It's still in rough draft, but it's fully playable as is.

It's got the magical girl anime genre down pat, and is highly influenced by Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but even if that's not your bag, I'd atleast flip through it for inspiration. The change tables and the relationship mechanics are total genius.
    Anything by Ewen Cluney is good in my book. Man is a genius.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post

Seconded.
    It's still in obvious beta, and might require one houserule or two to make more sense, but it's a great system. I'm GMing one such game right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dungeons: The Dragoning 40,000 v 3.5 is pretty fun.

If nothing else, your friends will love reading the sourcebook.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

the latter has official rules to turn it into Super Sentai/Keman Rider type of game.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of those? I've downloaded the rules but I can't seem to find anything specific to that, and it's a type of game I'd be interested in running.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Dungeons: The Dragoning 40,000 v 7.5 is pretty fun.

If nothing else, your friends will love reading the sourcebook.
    Yes, this game is definitely amazing. Get it, and get book 2.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Stars Without Number is about the best free indie game I've ever seen.

Stars Without Number

It's like a mix of basic D&D and Traveller that's been designed specifically to cater to sandbox gaming. Not really Hard SF but no softer than most. It has a really nice Psionics system. This is pretty much the game I would use for a planethopping, ruins exploring, pirate fighting SF game.
    Last edited by Bayonet Priest; 2012-09-15 at 12:54 PM.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of those? I've downloaded the rules but I can't seem to find anything specific to that, and it's a type of game I'd be interested in running.
    I heard they're on author's blog, not downloadable, just in a blog post.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I heard they're on author's blog, not downloadable, just in a blog post.
    I think I found it, not much there but it gets a mention.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

A co-conspirator of mine has a site dedicated to free RPGs of all stripes. A lot of them are old school and "historical", but it's worth a look-see.

Check it out here: https://sites.google.com/site/rpgfreelist/