New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] OoC 34: If it exists, we have role-played it. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Baron View Post
    So what I'm asking is whether you folks would be okay with that, and whether there were any characters you wanted to see in particular.
    Hm, sure. Go ahead and toss Kirk in there.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] OoC 34: If it exists, we have role-played it. No exceptions.

So, I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately (a strategy game where you fight aliens) and I had a thought that I night to a runthrough with a squad named after Nexus characters. Then I thought I might write some war stories about that squad and post them in the stories thread.

So what I'm asking is whether you folks would be okay with that, and whether there were any characters you wanted to see in particular.
    KR. You will win every single battle and then the entire game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately (a strategy game where you fight aliens) and I had a thought that I night to a runthrough with a squad named after Nexus characters. Then I thought I might write some war stories about that squad and post them in the stories thread.

Naera, if you've still got room for people in this.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

It should be just fine.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    XCOM

Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-10-18 at 10:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-10-18 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

8. - Top - End - #908

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Naera, if you've still got room for people in this.
    Oh, there'll be plenty of room. Maybe not for the first squad, but definitely when people start dying.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, there'll be plenty of room. Maybe not for the first squad, but definitely when people start dying.
    Seems appropriate for her, then...

10. - Top - End - #910

Also, I know literally nothing about Naera. Do you have a character sheet or something?

11. - Top - End - #911

Yeah, I was under the impression "school" included, well, young people?
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    Yeah, I was under the impression "school" included, well, young people?
    What is this a response to?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    That is , as I said, what he already did. And as said I got no reaction from Harnel.

And isn't he searching people for his school? I assume that this includes young people as well.

Edit: Also I have no problem making him a bit older.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    It's probably best to quote things you're replying to when your post is sufficiently far from them, especially when the post you're replying to is on the previous page.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915

Okay. Sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I know literally nothing about Naera. Do you have a character sheet or something?
    No character sheet, no. What do you need to know?

17. - Top - End - #917

Pretty much just her personality. If you could send me a PM, that'd be great.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

Deadtime now. Goodnight, sleep tight and don't let the Nuli bite. I doubt it will, but you never know.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

19. - Top - End - #919

News!:
    I'll be back tomorrow soon as possible! ^_^
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, guys, I have a question: if a nearly brainless creature were to take on a PC class, which would be most amusingly unfitting due to the creature having the intelligence of a handful of raisins?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Pixie in the Playground

If you enjoy the new XCOM that much, RB, you've gotta give playing the original XCOM a whirl (or watch experience a Let's Play of it like I did )! You start each mission with 10 soldiers or more and if you're lucky if four survive! The game pounded into my head the universal truth that you can, in fact, put a price on life and that the aforementioned price is an affordable 40,000 bucks! The expenditure isn't commensurate with what ya get because it doesn't buy you anything more than a guy who shoots civilians and higher ranking veterans in the back of the head while going berserk!

Even now the visceral rage boils within! Why'd you shear your own squad down, disposable recruit! Why! That was the captain and, more importantly, a very expensive suit of armor! >.<

If I had my druthers, I'd have been posting again sometime before now! I'll post some stuff tonight and get around the rest tomorrow, hopefully!

22. - Top - End - #922

But I did play and beat the original X-COM years ago, and I thought that game was great. I think the new one is also great.

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Okay, guys, I have a question: if a nearly brainless creature were to take on a PC class, which would be most amusingly unfitting due to the creature having the intelligence of a handful of raisins?
    Alchemy. Hands down your brainless should be an Alchemist.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

24. - Top - End - #924

But most alchemists are already half-braindead from all the fumes! No, clearly the right answer is Archivist! Just too damn dumb to be bothered by all that nasty eldritch nastiness, a-yup.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

25. - Top - End - #925

Really, any PC class would be a pretty good choice.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Alchemist sounds pretty good, especially if they're the kind that's always throwing bombs.
    Archivist sounds pretty wacky too---one wonders how often they'll fail to concentrate enough to cast a spell and just say screw it and waffle someone over the head with their Big Ol' Book like they just signed on with ECW.

@RB: Kind of, but stuff like Fighter and Barbarian wouldn't be quite as funny because, at least for the creature type here, it's not that hard to go all metalbrutal on a thing. The amount of thought/sense/attention span required is probably about equal to the inherent hilarity.

EDIT: They may end up multiclassing just for the complete silliness of it all.
    Last edited by Beans; 2012-10-18 at 10:34 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927

Speaking of the old x-com, I have started playing it, and I'm getting beaten at every turn, except when it comes to shooting UFO's down. Any advise?

----
    Also, so when is Harnel starting his tournament? Two days from now?

28. - Top - End - #928

Keep your soldiers in cover, always save time units for a reaction shot, explosives are your friends. Oh, and you're probably going to lose men no matter what, so don't get too attached to them.

29. - Top - End - #929

Most importantly, keep on trucking. Losing men and failing missions is not only normal, but more or less unavoidable, so don't get frustrated and ragequit if you mess up a few times.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Halfling in the Playground

Never bunch your soldiers up, never leave any individual soldier isolated, if you ever see a chrysalid make sure it dies immediately. Be careful about giving your soldiers heavy weaponry, odds are they'll get mind controlled and blow everything up. The skyranger is a deathtrap, try and get your troops out of it and spread out into cover very quickly.

Take extra care to preserve any troops that do survive long enough to gain several ranks. If they die, it's pretty much guaranteed to send everyone into a panic.

Oh, and base invasions are inevitably going to occur at some point, make sure to redesign your base so the access lift has only one exit, otherwise the aliens will flood your base very quickly.

And on the subject of bases: Setting up several other bases as early as you can to get better radar coverage and stationing fighters in them is a good idea.

Check your graph of alien activity frequently. If a country's alien activity ever shoots up suddenly, odds are there's a base there. If the aliens develop a base, you have to take it down before the end of the month or you'll lose that country's support for sure.

Finally, get laser cannons asap. You can build laser cannons and sell them for a profit. They're a far more reliable source of income than relying on the support provided from nations.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.