New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dream Team

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default Dream Team

Hey, y'all.

Funny discussion idea. If you could play D&D with any six people in history, one person being the DM, and the other five being your teammates, who would you pick?

My team would definitely have Jimmy Stewart and Bach (playing the badass Warforged), and Joss Whedon could DM. I know I'm asking for a TPK with that one, but it would be worth it.

My rundown;
    Joss Whedon (as DM),
    Jimmy Stewart,
    Bach,
    Mike Shinoda (of Linkin Park),
    Hal 9000 (the supercomputer by IBM)
    Summer Glau.

Toodles.
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Dream Team

I won't explain any of my picks, if anyone has a question about it, I'll gladly answer.

DM:
    Homer + the Machine (since he is blind )

Players:
    Archilochus
    Mohammed
    Danton
    Poe
    Tom Waits
    Last edited by Mandrake; 2012-10-18 at 05:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll edit my list laster but...

DM: Dante Alighieri (Divine Comedy)

Players: To come after I think about it.
    Last edited by TopCheese; 2012-10-18 at 06:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hm...

DM: JRR Tolkein, of course.
    Players:
    • Napoleon Bonaparte, playing an Eladrin Lazylord.
      Leonardo da Vinci, playing a (Something) Artificer.
      (to be continued...)
    Last edited by Adoendithas; 2012-10-18 at 03:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adoendithas View Post
    Hm...

DM: JRR Tolkein, of course.
    Players: [coming soon].
    Isn't that the author of Lord or the Rings? You should read "DM of the Ring" which is a great webcomic that makes the movie/movies into a Tabletop RPG.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

My roomie and I discussed Tolkein, and we think he's be a rail-roading type of DM.
    Last edited by Alan_Pehnereas; 2012-10-18 at 09:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I've read DM of the Rings, but I don't think Tolkein would railroad it too much. He would probably have maps of every city and area in the camppaign setting written out beforehand, so the encounters could just be transposed if we got off the rails.

Of course, he would probably also write up grammars and vocabularies for all the languages, and I doubt if I could learn three per level, so the Linguist feat would be right out.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adoendithas View Post
    I've read DM of the Rings, but I don't think Tolkein would railroad it too much. He would probably have maps of every city and area in the camppaign setting written out beforehand, so the encounters could just be transposed if we got off the rails.

Of course, he would probably also write up grammars and vocabularies for all the languages, and I doubt if I could learn three per level, so the Linguist feat would be right out.
    I see Tolkein as more of a DM that wouldn't so much as railroad the players as just not care they are there. He'd would have been so engrossed in his own work that it wouldn't matter if there were PCs at the table... After the game was over he would probably turn it into a book too.

Have you ever had a DM that has done that? It is a form of railroading I guess but it is like the DM almost doesn't want players to mess up his story. I've had and heard of many tales of DMs like that...It really sucks cause you are essentially sitting somewhere while a guy is reading you a story....

Could you imagine if he was running his Lord of the Rings setting and the guys playing said "yo let's just take these birds (that totally owe us) all the way there so we don't have to deal with all that crap between here and the volcano, plus it will take a day to get there!". I see rocks falling haha. Actually if he had players I think his writings would have been better at least.

Of course Dante would be that harsh type of DM that if you was playing a Cleric or Paladin and stepped out of line just a tiny bit... You god would come down and tell you about it. Hahaha

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I always love this type of question.

Players:
    The Elven Rogue: Kate Micucci. She does awkward and cute so well. I can imagine her failing all of her skill checks then using her innate awkwardness to really make the situation both tense and hilarious. Plus she could do the smugness of the Elf just right to make a perfect combo with the rogue. And don't go thinking that I'm making fun of her: I'm not! She's got all the qualities that I want in someone sitting at a table with me. I can just imagine her failing a stealth roll only to pop up in the middle of a large group of bad guys. The inherent awkwardness as her and the bad guys just stare at each other with that "Ooops!" and "What the heck is she doing here?" look for 15 seconds, with her just standing there frozen and them being confused ... brilliant. And then she'd sing a song about it and they'd be enraptured. Kate, if you ever read this, contact me, please. You're my hero.

The Bard: Neil Patrick Harris. Who else could do a bard so well? He would bring life and energy to the party like no one else ever could. And I can't pass up the chance for a singing trio of NPH, Oates/Gooch, and myself. Yeah, I'm not a singer, but who cares? You don't pass up a chance to play basketball with Michael Jordan and you don't pass up a chance to sing/act with NPH and Kate. But I'm digressing. NPH would be the perfect "awesome" foil to Kate's rogue.

The Minotaur Wizard: Felicia Day. I can see her playing the distracted minotaur wizard perfectly. She'd always be distracted and play up the fact that she's a minotaur. And I would completely expect her to roleplay it perfectly while definitely being a bit (or a lot) sub-optimal. I would also be excited to see what she would do with the rituals. We'd all laugh and get some great roleplaying out of this.

The Swashbuckler: Maisie Williams. This is definitely to have her reprise Arya. Also, she's a dancer and I was a tap dancer growing up. Sometimes I enjoy a challenge. But yeah, to have Arya as the Fighter? Awesome. I'm a sucker for strong female characters and I believe she has the strongest character in the series.

(What? But there's no swashbuckler! I don't care. Make it a dexterous fighter, a rogue, an assassin, a monk ... whatever.)

The Changeling Whatever: Robin Williams. Giving Robin Williams the ability to shapeshift is a winning formula, no matter what you are trying to solve. Just make it a Cha secondary class so that it actually makes sense. Why? He'll pass most rolls ... but I want to see him fail an occasional role. He's brilliant and funny and I want him to have all the ammo possible to work with, and we all know that often times failure gives you more than a success.

The Battlemind: Me. Just so I can use Lightning Rush and say, "I'll protect Micucci!"

I struggled to come up with an appropriate DM. I don't think there's anyone who could possibly keep all those personalities above in check while still giving us a great story. It's just not going to happen. The story is going to write itself. So, I'll go with ...

The DM:
    Wil Wheaton. He's knowledgeable and feels like he'd be a rules lawyer. We need that. Plus, he could make some good stories. And I think he'd be decent enough at keeping everyone in line while still being a fun guy himself.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I would watch those. I loved WW on the PvP games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

WW on the PvP?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Wil played with the guys from PvP and Penny Arcade. You can find some of it here. Was very funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show