Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 152
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    nedz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by hex0 View Post
    In game, mostly.
    How can you be mostly a virgin ?
    I thought it was somewhat binary
    p = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.


    Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

    Avatar by Caravaggio

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Come and try to catch me!

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    How can you be mostly a virgin ?
    I thought it was somewhat binary
    Are you kidding? Who doesn't use a point system for virginity?
    A pickle shifts uneasily under the bun.

    My birthday is April 18th. Don't trust anything I say around then since I wont be very sober that day.

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hex0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    How can you be mostly a virgin ?
    I thought it was somewhat binary
    Actually most of the Vow feats have the clause "If you break your vow as a result of magical compulsion, you lose the benefit of this feat until you perform a suitable penance and receive an atonement spell." Well screw you if someone forces you to drink a beer! It's your fault, sinner!

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Jeff the Green's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Great PNW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by hex0 View Post
    Actually most of the Vow feats have the clause "If you break your vow as a result of magical compulsion, you lose the benefit of this feat until you perform a suitable penance and receive an atonement spell." Well screw you if someone forces you to drink a beer! It's your fault, sinner!
    So viginity, along with teetotaling and pacifism, are trinary. Good to know.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep/Spring Greenman by Comissar

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

    I mean really. We always joke that the verbal components for the spell aren't a joke, but just staring at the target with a straight face and going "Tasha's Hideous Laughter."
    "Two elves walked into a bar. There's now a Bar Elf sub-race." -The Dungeon Master on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/cczy9vg

    You'd probably be best to take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu View Post
    Oh, that. You know the entire world was once an empire ruled by demons that enslaved dragons that lasted form millions of years, right? Or that the continent was once ruled by a magical kingdom of goblins? Little things like that. There's probably more rings lying in wait out there than there is gold to mine.
    Which begs the question, what are the rings made of?

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Which begs the question, what are the rings made of?
    Heh, nice one! :D

    Does Eberron suffer from a scarcity of raw materials, since the easily accessed mines etc have been exhausted by previous civilizations? I don't think it does, but I've never actually played in it.

    It reminds me of Feist's Midkemia/Tsurani books, where the latter invade the former because the Tsurani world's resources had mostly run out.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dusk Eclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In the ruins of San de So
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    IIRC Dragonshards normal ones at the least are treated very similar to Oil in modern world (perhaps a little earlier in our history) in the sense they are in a great but finite supply, though unless that is the plot of the campaign you can assume they won't run out in the near-future. Khyber and Syberis shards are another matter since they are extremely rare. And one must also take into account that some shards are MASSIVE (60 ft tall or something like that) and can be processed into smaller ones or uses to power similarly sized machines.
    Just call me Dusk
    Avatar by Ceika

    Iron Chef Trophy:
    Spoiler
    Show



  9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Heh, nice one! :D

    Does Eberron suffer from a scarcity of raw materials, since the easily accessed mines etc have been exhausted by previous civilizations? I don't think it does, but I've never actually played in it.

    It reminds me of Feist's Midkemia/Tsurani books, where the latter invade the former because the Tsurani world's resources had mostly run out.
    Not really. The Tsurani didn't really have metal in the first place (The instead have lots of wood that can be made into things almost as good), but a nice point.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Not really. The Tsurani didn't really have metal in the first place (The instead have lots of wood that can be made into things almost as good), but a nice point.
    Sinex's post helped me realize that, if the endless supply of magic rings and stuff is due to previous civilizations, how come there's still basic materials such as iron left to mine for the current races?

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Sinex's post helped me realize that, if the endless supply of magic rings and stuff is due to previous civilizations, how come there's still basic materials such as iron left to mine for the current races?
    Buried scrap metal?
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Poil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Deities of mining and resource gathering adding more?

    Sort of like, "Uh oh the orcs are running out of gold. Pot of gold. There all fixed."
    Last edited by Poil; 2012-09-22 at 04:11 AM.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

    Constipated Lizard Slayer

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Sinex's post helped me realize that, if the endless supply of magic rings and stuff is due to previous civilizations, how come there's still basic materials such as iron left to mine for the current races?
    Well, I for one have never seen a mine in D&D that wasn't a good mile or so under the surface and filled with zombies, so I'd hazard a guess all the good veins of ore have already been tapped out.

    Dwarves Kobolds and the other undergound races do most of the mining anyway, and they are always "delving too greedily and too deep" so it's a good fit fluff-wise. Add in all the generic Evil Empire Forcing Prisoners to Work as Slaves in the Plot Mines set-pieces and mining is probably almost as dangerous as dungeon-crawling, assuming your mine isn't already transforming into an "Abandoned Mine" dungeon.

    Also remember that resources are only limited on a local level; Wish Economies and the ability to mine on infinite planes like the Elemental Plane of Earth means there is always going to be iron (and gold, and admanantine...) out there to buy if you can't find it yourself.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Though I am appreciative about the Epic Destiny in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos that allows you to become a Regiar.
    Could you clue us non-SJ, non-4E fans in what a Regiar is? Wikipedia and Google are not finding it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Original source: 1E UA Illusionist only. (well it might have been in Dragon first). The thing is though, by the time you can do the save or die thing, you could have spent your action in casting a 6th level spell.
    Unless 1E was very different from 3E in this respect, though, you get a LOT more 1st-level spells than 6ths. Especially since, if you have a 1st that's as good as a 6th, you can cast all your 2nds, 3rd, 4ths, 5ths and 6ths as that one 1st.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    And on stupid in an awesome way PC races, I'd like to talk about Unbodied. They're essentially giant disembodied brains made from psionics users who have transcended mortal flesh, and they have PC stats.
    What bugs me about Unbodied is that they have no body, yet they can appear as anything, with no stated limits on that. So they can pretend to be a dragon sitting on the roof of your house, but they can't pass for human in a crowd because as soon as someone bumps into them they'll notice that this person isn't actually physically present. Also we have no life-cycle information about them; the fluff seems to imply that they're a race of ancients who've been lingering around forever, and I don't see how they could breed, but there's nothing indicating that they have a former human life (contrasting sharply with the Elans, who do have a former human life despite starting out as level 1 characters). Just a mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
    What's really confusing about that spell is that the name seems to imply that it's forcing the target to laugh, but according to the Gray Jester in Heroes of Horror, the target is actually amused. It doesn't mechanically force you to laugh the way Otto's forces you to dance, but rather causes you to feel such overwhelming humor that you break out laughing in the middle of a fight - humor which the Jester can then eat after you've wasted your action. Weird.

    I mean really. We always joke that the verbal components for the spell aren't a joke, but just staring at the target with a straight face and going "Tasha's Hideous Laughter."
    Reading OOTS has left me very tempted to have every spell be cast by saying it's name. It makes a mockery of the whole Spellcraft skill, but I still find it hard to resist.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-23 at 07:12 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Sith_Happens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    What's really confusing about that spell is that the name seems to imply that it's forcing the target to laugh, but according to the Gray Jester in Heroes of Horror, the target is actually amused. It doesn't mechanically force you to laugh the way Otto's forces you to dance, but rather causes you to feel such overwhelming humor that you break out laughing in the middle of a fight - humor which the Jester can then eat after you've wasted your action. Weird.
    So basically, Tasha's Hideous Laughter is the world's funniest joke.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Iruka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So basically, Tasha's Hideous Laughter is the world's funniest joke.
    Which means you don't really prepare it in the morning but instead tell it to your party until all you get is an annoyed groan, thus protecting them against it's effect in battle.

    I'm now also doing this deviantart thing.
    "Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    "Je pense qu'il y a suffissantes des plumes dans la gare."
    ~Bo Banjo~

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Not really. The Tsurani didn't really have metal in the first place (The instead have lots of wood that can be made into things almost as good), but a nice point.
    The world was one they escaped to via magic after the Valheru invaded the place they previously were. The world they escaped to had presumably had other races previously who had used up all the metal. Which makes no sense really, unless they launched it into space the metal should still be there somewhere.

    It was more complicated than that anyway, certain political parties wanted the war in order to keep their power.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    nedz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Unless 1E was very different from 3E in this respect, though, you get a LOT more 1st-level spells than 6ths. Especially since, if you have a 1st that's as good as a 6th, you can cast all your 2nds, 3rd, 4ths, 5ths and 6ths as that one 1st.
    Well it only targets one individual, so its not that awesome.
    p = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.


    Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

    Avatar by Caravaggio

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Which makes no sense really, unless they launched it into space the metal should still be there somewhere.
    Rust, corrosion, adulteration with impurities, gold dissolved into sea water - the metal might still exist at the atomic level, but unless you can split molecules or separate alloys you'll never get at it.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-24 at 10:26 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mnemnosyne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Which begs the question, what are the rings made of?
    That's not begging the question, which would be asserting something and then using it as proof of itself. It may pose or suggest that question, but saying it 'begs the question' is inaccurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Could you clue us non-SJ, non-4E fans in what a Regiar is? Wikipedia and Google are not finding it.
    The correct spelling is Reigar.
    -Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
    Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Asheram's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Well, I for one have never seen a mine in D&D that wasn't a good mile or so under the surface and filled with zombies, so I'd hazard a guess all the good veins of ore have already been tapped out.

    Dwarves Kobolds and the other undergound races do most of the mining anyway, and they are always "delving too greedily and too deep" so it's a good fit fluff-wise. Add in all the generic Evil Empire Forcing Prisoners to Work as Slaves in the Plot Mines set-pieces and mining is probably almost as dangerous as dungeon-crawling, assuming your mine isn't already transforming into an "Abandoned Mine" dungeon.
    Would this mean that mines in D&D work a bit like minecraft? Seal off a section of the mine for a day and a night in complete darkness and by the morning it might be a beholder lair?
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.


    And remember, things can always get worse.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Deepbluediver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The US of A

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    Would this mean that mines in D&D work a bit like minecraft? Seal off a section of the mine for a day and a night in complete darkness and by the morning it might be a beholder lair?
    Apparently the Theory of Spontaneous Generation is alive and well in both MMOs and tabletop RPGs.
    "A man is known by the company he organizes." -Ambrose Bierce

    Homebrew Extended Signature!

    Progress in my Core rebalance project: 9 of 11 classes complete
    Druid, Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Wizard, Sorcerer, Monk & Paladin

    Magic Fix: spell rewrites paused; rules under revision


    Non-core stuff I want to take a crack at rewriting: Healer, Warlock, Ninja, Samurai, Artificer, Soulborn Incarnum, psionics, bloodlines, and the item-crafting system

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
    That's not begging the question, which would be asserting something and then using it as proof of itself. It may pose or suggest that question, but saying it 'begs the question' is inaccurate.
    While I realise (and hope) you were probably saying this to be helpful and informative, it comes off more rude and condescending fyi.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    While I realise (and hope) you were probably saying this to be helpful and informative, it comes off more rude and condescending fyi.
    I found it a bit pedantic myself, but just rolled my eyes and moved on. Mnemosyne is a cool dude/ette/oid/whatever, I can overlook the occasional English-Teacher's-Pet self-indulgence.

    PS: OMG Reigar....that is amaaazing. An entire race of Mary Sues who out-elf the elves. I badly want to know who was consuming what flavor of six-month old yoghurt just before they hallucinated that concept.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-26 at 09:36 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Hbgplayer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Favored by tem-et-nu, a feat from sandstorm, gives you the ability to rebuke, get this, hippopotami. That's right, you get the ability to rebuke freakin' hippo's.

    Plus, if you lose Tem-et-nu's favor, you take damage as if bitten by a hippo. That's right, anger your god and the "spirit of the hippo" chomps your butt.

    How stupid is that?
    It's a little late, but I felt the need to post this in response to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    nedz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I found it a bit pedantic myself, but just rolled my eyes and moved on. Mnemosyne is a cool dude/ette/oid/whatever, I can overlook the occasional English-Teacher's-Pet self-indulgence.
    Well I discounted it as noise, but whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    PS: OMG Reigar....that is amaaazing. An entire race of Mary Sues who out-elf the elves. I badly want to know who was consuming what flavor of six-month old yoghurt just before they hallucinated that concept.
    But at least they are artistic.

    If I were ever to use these then I can think of several players who would like nothing better than to introduce them to the finer points of rapiers; others however would love to talk with them, before moving on. It is not a surprise that these players play in different groups.

    They are only Mary-Sues if you use them as such. These seem more of a high level distraction or trading opportunity.

    BTW the flavour of yoghurt would be Madagascan Vanilla with a hint of Armagnac.
    p = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.


    Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

    Avatar by Caravaggio

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Poil View Post
    Class restrictions applying to the player too would be hilariously stupid.
    Poor Eunuch Warlocks would see even less play.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SW England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
    That's not begging the question, which would be asserting something and then using it as proof of itself. It may pose or suggest that question, but saying it 'begs the question' is inaccurate.

    The correct spelling is Reigar.
    I've heard good arguments that given:
    1) "begging the question" is a very bad translation of the original Latin term for the fallacy
    2) Going by the normal English meaning of words, the colloquial interpretation of the prase ("demanding/requiring the question be asked") makes more sense than the "real" meaning
    3) Almost everyone uses it that way

    Therefore the colloquial meaning should now be treated as as correct.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Nyes the Dark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    My group also encountered a swan-shifting charm. It was a once-a-day effect, and ironically the violent guy took it and always wants to use it to kill things, but the DM vetoes it because it would never work.

    On-topic: Bag of Tricks. That is all.

    Thanks to flumphy for the avatar

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    The LOBster's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Hillariously Stupid Non-Monster Things from D&D

    "Chicken-infested." It's just one of the best and worst things ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Vasharan Offal Bag: From The Book of Vile Darkness, it's essentially a giant bag of poop that summons a giant cockroach once a day. And it's made by this uber-evil race of humans who really, really should've at least been more creative than "Crap in a bag+make it magic = ROACHIE!". Though Sloth is a deadly sin...

    THE NIPPLE CLAMP OF EXQUISITE PAIN!: Also from The Book of Vile Darkness. When I hear that item's name, I don't so much think "Evilly perverse sociopath" as "Insane wizard who really, really needs to get laid."
    Wow. Was the 3e BoVD really that over the top? I mean, I knew it listed sadomasochism as an evil trait, but... Wow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •