New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: What would you expect in a new dnd cartoon?

The entire thing should be based on the BoV.

You know, for kids!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    Me neither. Keep the RL out of it, just make a good series about a fantasy world.
    same here.. teleporting people in a fantasy word always keeps the door open for cross-contamination and genre-savvyiness.. which is good in a single episode comedy..or in OoTS.. but not what I'd like to see in a proper DnD based fantasy story
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So would you prefer a series set in say Eberron for example and have it occasionally focus on a minor character or between groups when they go their own ways after the start?

For example have the first episode be set in a village thats attacked and your initial group is made up from survivors and some mercenaries and we see them respond to the situation with eventually some being killed, some returning to their village or moving on and perhaps a new group of adventurers' is formed and we see them develop with some leaving the party or some of their new allies or adversaries used as the focus of a few episodes perhaps even having crossovers where we would realise there is an overarching story leading to a first season cliffhanger to make us want more?

What would you like to see if they didn't go the route of regular people accidentally or deliberately sent to another world that mirrors the dnd settings?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    same here.. teleporting people in a fantasy word always keeps the door open for cross-contamination and genre-savvyiness.. which is good in a single episode comedy..or in OoTS.. but not what I'd like to see in a proper DnD based fantasy story
    Who says the world would be vulnerable to genre-savviness? The best worlds aren't. Or do you want a mediocre world, with plotlines being predictable and cliche?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-10-18 at 05:47 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Who says the world would be vulnerable to genre-savviness? The best worlds aren't. Or do you want a mediocre world, with plotlines being predictable and cliche?
    nobody does..but I would have the concern.

never said I want predictability or chlichés.. then again, it's kinda hard to evade every possible cliché in a world that has a few billion books and on a medium where most themes have already been explored. I don't see how you go from "not having people dumped from 21st century real world into a fantasy environment" to being a cliché story. it's not like that team hasn't been tried already..it's the very premise of the original cartoon.

I just prefer to see characters who aren't stumped by "how does one make a rope in the middle-ages" or "how do you put up a leather cuirass/saddle a horse" because they've never seen one .. or trying to tackle inworld problems with IRL modern thought processes..
    purely a personal preference, of course.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    nobody does..but I would have the concern.

never said I want predictability or chlichés.. then again, it's kinda hard to evade every possible cliché in a world that has a few billion books and on a medium where most themes have already been explored. I don't see how you go from "not having people dumped from 21st century real world into a fantasy environment" to being a cliché story. it's not like that team hasn't been tried already..it's the very premise of the original cartoon.
    I know you didn't say that, hence why it was a question rather than a statement.

I went to cliche stories because you seem to not want genre-savvy characters, while genre-savvy characters could only utilise their genre-savviness if the world adhered to the general lines of the genre, and thus cliches and predictability (heck, genre-savviness is generally the ability to predict what is going to happen and use out-of-the-box thinking to try and get the best possible outcome).

I just prefer to see characters who aren't stumped by "how does one make a rope in the middle-ages" or "how do you put up a leather cuirass/saddle a horse" because they've never seen one .. or trying to tackle inworld problems with IRL modern thought processes..
    purely a personal preference, of course.
    People from the Middle Ages end up in a DnD world. Two of them are ancestors of Gygax and Arneson.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries