Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Spiral of Shadow and Light, Part 3 [IC]

Red shrugs. "I'm fine either way, your call."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The monk takes a sip from his drink if only to please the Lunar, and shrugs, his face noncommittal.

"I don't know where they are taken, but I spent a long time in such a village, and people there live good lives." He stops there, however, and seemingly won't go into an argument of civilized versus simple life.

He pauses for a moment long enough to make one feel awkward in a conversation.

"But I think our problems are not necessarily disconnected," he speaks at last. "I have fought with a dead man in one of these raids, and it was only due to Wince and his friends that I survived."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-10-16 at 12:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

The Lunar silently offered gratitude to Luna for this more promising news, then just as silently questioned that gratitude. He had become enamoured with the lore of the Incarnae he had read in the Electrum Archive as he knew Luna had touched him as he had exalted, but his whole life he had accepted the Immaculate Faith which specifically prohibited the direct worship of spirits other than the Elemental Dragons.

The stark contrast between him as he sat now and him a year ago was almost farcical, and that though led him briefly to wonder if his desire to reunite with his family was itself a farce. But he dismissed the thought just as quickly; his companion could drop dead at any moment, now was not the time for such philosophy.

"Well now, that is an interesting connection. With respect, villages like yours aren't generally high priority targets, meaning raiders could usually be left to their own devices if all they sought was strife to stoke the calls for war. For an Officer of Death to be present personally, there must have been something specific he was after in your village.

Do you have any ideas what that might have been? Was it known locally that individuals or artefacts of such worthy power resided there?"
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-10-20 at 02:05 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jania

The divine agent's lips curl into a smile. "Very decisive," she playfully mocks. "To the city it is!"
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"Good deed for the day." Red dryly adds, though Jania can see the corner of her mouth rise just a little. To the city it is. Honestly, throwing care to the wind simply feels better. She herself needs no rest, so the others will have to buckle up.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The Road to the City

You cover a moderate amount of distance with the daylight still available, though several ships pass you by, sped by the river's currents. As you continue on, the terrain transforms to low-lying fields with a somewhat elaborate irrigation network.

Oddly, despite the fact that the rice in the fields should have many hands tending it, no slaves or peasants are working. In fact, there don't even seem to be any animals living in the area.

You can make out a town nearby, with what looks to be some sort of pier: probably some kind of stopping point for riverboats. You might even be able to catch a ride there. More immediately, you can see several riders racing down the path, at least one firing his bow at a mob slowly chasing them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+Awareness to notice more details about the riders, mob, or terrain.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Leaning on the boat's rail, Red lets her gaze wander lazily across the scenery, doing her best to stave off boredom and agitation. She's becoming better at it, at least. Looking forward to spending a night out with Gao Shu and Jania certainly helps, though. Registering the riders and mob, the contained violence naturally piques her interest, but still gets barely a reaction, instead trying to see what is going on before making up her mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d10)[2][9][10][4](25) to see more about the riders and mob

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The old man looks blankly into far away as he tries to recollect his memories, or at least as far away as the inn's walls can allow. "The dead men were more than one, and they led the attacks on the villages themselves. Some of them massacred people to create panic, and others recruited whole villages into their service using this fear. There was even one that was supposed to work in Nexus, I think."

"So, no. It wasn't about powerful individuals or artefacts."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-10-23 at 01:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

"Leading the raids personally seems fairly inefficient to me, mortals can inspire fear in their own kind just fine. But then again I'm not responsible for inciting an unholy war in Creation, so what do I know.

Either way, I'm sure Wince & Jian will have more information. I'll speak to your friend's friend and have him contact them to find out when they will be back in the city. I can then inform you later this evening."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"I would be most grateful," Arda says, nodding. He takes another sip from the weird green drink, but it seems to be done in mostly courtesy.

11. - Top - End - #41

Jania

The look of the events that were heading toward them all was not good. It looked interesting. Excessively interesting. Relaxing her grip on the present and letting her awareness spill into the future she hoped she would see any more surprises before they happen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perceptions + Awareness: (6d10)[9][9][3][7][3][9](40)

Activating Prior Warning
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Jania and Red

The Rider's look hard pressed, fighting several smaller figures running along side them, though splashes and dust makes it difficult to get a good look at them. The Riders are certainly afraid, though.

The crowd is much easier to observe, with what looks like 10 or so people and large animals, all with vines and flowers woven around them. The humans all look upset, and occasionally one of them throws something, though you can't see any weapons among the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still waiting on if there is a boat.

Jania, roll Prior Warning.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-10-25 at 09:03 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the vines growing around those on foot, Red grows more interested in the going-ons, standing up straight. "Know something about the plants?" she asks, motioning towards the peasants with her head once. Jania did say they should do something fun on the way back. Here's event number one.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

"Then I will see you later. This place has some decent accommodations, I'd recommend staying here. And keep your head down, I doubt we were the only ones who heard you asking after the golden boy."

With a polite nod of the head Wing leaves a few silver coins on the table and departs.

Returning to Nightsky's "nest" Wing offers a small bow again before speaking.

"The mortal is here looking to enlist Wince to reclaim some peasants taken in the recent raids. I told him you'd be able to contact Jian and the others to find out when they're expected back in the city and I'd inform him. Really boring bugger he is."

15. - Top - End - #45

Jania

"Festive decorations," she said with confidence. "Or deadly parasites." She said with equal confidence. "It could go either way at this point."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let's join the festivities." Red quips before making her way over to the mob, Siren drawn and battle ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Eye of the Tempest for the scene

Personal: 15/20
    Peripheral: 37/46 (9 committed)
    WP: 7/8

17. - Top - End - #47

Jania

The agents rolls her eyes at the joke as she follows behind Red.

Spoiler
    Show
    Personal: 7/15 (0 Committed)
    Peripheral: 35/37 (2 Committed)
    Willpower: 9/9

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Wings

"Well, then. With that taken care of, perhaps it is best to pickup where we left off. Scent of War, Eyes in Shadow, and I have been trying to figure out who is our hidden Abyssal."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

"Do any key suspects present themselves? I know nothing of the city, nor it's inhabitants so I suppose I won't be much use in that regard just yet."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

One of the horses is brought down, the rider managing a dismount, before he is surrounded. The Mob hides what happens, but when it clears, you don't see the rider or his horse. On the possibly bright side, the mob does pull back as it sees you, and the Riders seem to relax.

One, wearing an old but well kept suit of lamellar, likely signifying he is some sort of local bandit or town guardman, approaches you.

"Well met, strangers, and thank you for making those things pull back. We were trying to get out, to get help, but they were hiding in the fields."
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #51

Jania, That Dangerous Road

"Thank you," Jania says with a slightly uncomfortable smile. "But we really didn't do anything apart from be here."

Looking over the man's shoulder at the retreating mob, her eyes looking as though she were considering something. "Do you know what they are?" She asked the man, her eyes now focusing on him again. "Why they're here?"
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2012-11-19 at 12:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Red only nods to the man, her face even, expressionless, the Siren already sheathed when she arrives. For the most part, her eyes are fixed on what seems like infested mortals. "What we need to know to kill them," she adds nonchalantly, figuring it is a valid question considering what they just saw.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"You being here is the only reason they didn't pursue, and drag the rest of us down like Rivers.

No idea what they are, but be careful. Those vines aren't for show: they control them somehow. Which leads to what they want: I think it's some sort of recruitment drive. We've lost a couple people to them over the days, and while so far we've kept them from breaking in, it's only a matter of time. Especially with supplies as they are.

We've been using fire to keep them back, and the few that press close enough fall pretty easily to weapons.
    "
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Taking the Lunar's advice, Arda rents a room from the inn, and enjoys the modest accommodations like a rich merchant may enjoy an expensive and luxurious suite.

Letting his thoughts swim free for a while, he then begins to meditate on today's experiences. Not much has happened, a regular person might say, but to Arda, even a simple walk through the streets of a city included enough stimulants to fill a book.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds straightforward enough. Wouldn't mind cleaning 'em up," Red comments, rolling her shoulders. Stopping a growing threat should be in tune with their goals in a way. Then again, her desire to fight is always there.

26. - Top - End - #56

Jania

"I'd prefer it we could get a closer look at one of them - and by we I mean me. If we know what they are we might open up a few extra paths to take." Jania gives Red an apologetic smile. "Sorry. We'll probably have to fight them off on the way back though, so there's that."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Red simply shrugs. "Fair enough, result's the same."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2012-11-27 at 10:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Careful: they can hide pretty good. We thought the road was mostly clear when we broke out, but they were waiting."

You can see his point. Already there are many members of the mob seemingly vanishing into the fields.
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #59

Jania

"It wouldn't be much of an ambush if we could see them," she replied flippantly. "But we'll be fine all the same - just stay close to either me or my friend."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Red nods. However, she is a little surprised to be subsequently pulled aside by Jania for a moment. "What's up?" She raises an eyebrow when she hears that her friend wants to give her some martial arts related pointers and demonstrations, but answers "Sure, go ahead."

Red, though she apparently has little interest in intellectual undertakings, is an attentive student. She might not have much in the way of unarmed combat ability, but everything related to combat is a language she speaks fluently. She asks a few questions now and then to help the process and the techniques come naturally to her, though she lets Jania correct her on form and execution a few times, just as Red does by herself when something feels off or trying out a few ways quickly to get it right.

Once they have finished the quick lesson, the Abyssal can definitely feel the benefits already, Jania being a great teacher. Clenching and unclenching her fist, she mutters "Nice." before turning to her friend again, a little smile on her face. "Looking forward to the next lesson, Sifu." It is more playful than anything, even adding the quick gesture of pressing her fist against her open palm, but she can appreciate a good mentor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reacting to BG's OOC post. Updated the sheet.