New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Are there any shows that completely change genre?

So I was browsing internet today and I saw a post that described the latest episode of community as "post apocalyptic." That got me thinking- What if they actually went ahead and had an apocalypse, and the rest of the series was the same cast of characters trying to survive in a wasteland?

Now, for obvious reasons, this would be a terrible decision (alienation of fans, inability to re-use props, etc etc.) Still, I'm sure somebody did it. Shows that were successful in one aspect (or unsuccessful) and then did a massive direction change well after the fans had settled into the existing routine.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Are there any shows that completely change genre?

Xena arguably does this, given its perchant for cutting between slapstick, parody, straight up adventure, pretty close to horror, and the occasional musical. Sometimes within the same episode.

Not a show, but Cloud Atlas is six genres in one movie. The Fountain pulls off three, but is much more boring.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #3

Buffy S1: Dark comedy with a few serious moments that pokes fun at the urban fantasy gene.

Buffy S2: Character-driven tragedy (with some funny moments) about a girl dealing with her abusive boyfriend.

Buffy S3: High school urban fantasy dramedy that's mostly heroic but does feature a tragic villain.

Buffy S4: Moderately light-hearted conspiracy thriller.

Buffy S5: Extremely dark high-stakes fantasy action.

Buffy S6: Dark sitcom, then suddenly people die horribly.

Buffy S7: Cosmic horror, except the good guys win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The cosmic horror in S7 of Buffy is inflicted entirely on the viewer. Stop after six.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, I'm told Attack on Titan sorta does this in that it starts insane grim-dark horror/tragedy with minor action elements before the Titan's inevitably go "ROFLMAO *STOMP* *MUNCH* *DEAD*" to everything that tries to fight them, and eventually moves away from that and let's the pro-tag's start, you know, not suffering endlessly only to inevitably loose and die horribly.
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Hmmm, I'm told Attack on Titan sorta does this in that it starts insane grim-dark horror/tragedy with minor action elements before the Titan's inevitably go "ROFLMAO *STOMP* *MUNCH* *DEAD*" to everything that tries to fight them, and eventually moves away from that and let's the pro-tag's start, you know, not suffering endlessly only to inevitably loose and die horribly.
    Not really, just suffering on other levels.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    Not really, just suffering on other levels.
    And just like that, any curiosity my friends had been trying to muster in me to check the series out again is gone. Thanks for sparing me the pain. =)
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You might want to check out Dark Shadows. I never watched it myself, but I am under the impression that the first 200 episodes or so it was a generic soap opera with a hint of mystery about it. Then suddenly; vampires, witches, zombies, and other fun shenanigans.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

And just like that, any curiosity my friends had been trying to muster in me to check the series out again is gone. Thanks for sparing me the pain. =)
    Ah, now I feel bad. What I meant was that there's still suffering but there's also hope. It's a good series and well recommended.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    You might want to check out Dark Shadows. I never watched it myself, but I am under the impression that the first 200 episodes or so it was a generic soap opera with a hint of mystery about it. Then suddenly; vampires, witches, zombies, and other fun shenanigans.
    Isn't that the standard "Jump the shark" procedure?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that the standard "Jump the shark" procedure?
    Probably, except the show is now remembered and loved much more for the 4 seasons with vampires in it than the first 2 without.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Sliders
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Battle with the Kro Maggs in season 3.

It did not last long enough to have a Dr. Who Crossover .
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, now I feel bad. What I meant was that there's still suffering but there's also hope. It's a good series and well recommended.
    Don't, if the Titan's are still wiping the floor with everything all over the place with no meaningful opposition that matters and the protags are still in existence to suffer near endlessly and almost inevitably die horribly for a goal that is all but unachievable, then all you did was spare me watching a lot of it.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

TVTropes has a list of these. Mahou Sensei Negima is the page image for a reason, though only the manga - the anime adaptation was... rather loose, to put it lightly. Medaka Box is also particularly extreme, going from slice-of-life to superpowered battles to weird metafiction.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-01-24 at 06:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Sliders
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Battle with the Kro Maggs in season 3.
    This.

Totally ruined the show. The cast changes were annoying but survivable*. When they changed the premise of the series, all the fun was gone.

*Not Jerry O'Connell, though. He was the main protagonist. When he left, the show was kaput.

I really, really want a remake.
    Last edited by Pex; 2014-01-24 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You could maybe make a case for Trigun, as it goes from fairly light action-comedy to really quite dark action-drama, and does so very well. Of course it's not really a complete genre shift so I'm not sure if it counts.

It doesn't so much change genre as the series progresses as it does shift wildly and abruptly in tone, sometimes multiple times an episode. Honestly it often felt like wasn't entirely sure what it wanted to be half the time.
    After a while its action episodes settle into a rhythm of: angst over situation > devise plan of action > everyone gets hopeful and pumped-up > plan collapses horribly, recently characterised side-characters die > angst over situation > desperate second plan is formulated > plan just about works, immediate crisis is escaped > angst over situation etc.
    This doesn't really help the overal tone problems though.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-01-24 at 06:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Any anime/manga by Clamp, with the exception of Card Captor Sakura (seriously, that kinda weirded out some friends of mine who kept expecting it to turn dark suddenly).

If it starts out happy and fun, it won't end happy and fun. Running theme in my College anime club was "Spoiler: It's Clamp."

As an example,

Magic Knights Rayearth: 3 schoolgirls from Tokyo pulled into another dimension and given magic powers and a mission by a cute creature to rescue the young princess so the magic doesn't die.

...Then it turns out that she's about 10 years older than she seems, the source of magic in the world is related to her being kept young, and the conflict is actually that her teenage self fell in love and wants to actually grow up, while she can't. The way they need to save her, as they find out when they get there? They need to kill her, and her "kidnapper" who's actually the head of her guard trying to keep her from dying.

Oh, and this happens in cycles as the source-girls grow up and basically go insane due to the conflicting ages/personas/desires within them, and need to be killed to reset the cycle.

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateGirl

The only thing that really comes to mind is the movie "From Dusk 'Til Dawn". It's such an abrupt, senseless shift that it almost feels like two movies actually did crash into each other. Or maybe the directer/writer had a stroke halfway through filming and the editor just decided to go with it.

I still would like to see the rest of whatever the first half of that movie was.

That said, it seems to me that most shows undergo some minor shifting as they try to find their own sense of identity, but a complete genre change seems quite rare. Apart from something like Lost which starts out as character drama and slowly morphs into a series of semi-random, confusing non-events.

But that's not really a genre-shift. That's more like a story collapsing under its own narrative weight into a black hole from which no entertainment value can escape.

19. - Top - End - #19

Sword Art Online, to the point where I wonder if the two halves feature the same creative team.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    The only thing that really comes to mind is the movie "From Dusk 'Til Dawn". It's such an abrupt, senseless shift that it almost feels like two movies actually did crash into each other. Or maybe the directer/writer had a stroke halfway through filming and the editor just decided to go with it.

I still would like to see the rest of whatever the first half of that movie was.
    This is what I came in this thread to say.

It starts off as a really interesting crime thriller, then it's like "JK Vampires".

The guy with the whip and the crotch pistol still gets me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

There are many shows which change their tone between episodes a lot... (Actually, a lot of my favorite shows)
    I guess examples where the entire genre shifts (more) massively are a bit rarer...

Medaka Box is an anime/manga which takes quite a dramatic shift at the end of the first season when the "crazy high school comedy" turns into a at time quite bloody and violent battle story..

BeerMugPaladin's From Dusk Till Dawn is a very popular movie example... and I guess Life is Beautiful could also qualify. Also, Hot Fuzz' take on action movie takes quite a turn towards the end.

I guess the Discworld series could qualify but it's more Pratchett not having quite figured out what he was aiming for in the first few books... It's prtty much the difference between a parody and a deconstruction of a classic fantasy world.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateGirl

I thought of a couple more examples, though they're probably not quite what is wanted.

There's a british sitcom I believe where the characters all work in a department store called "Are You Being Served?" At least I think that was the name. At the end of one season they're either all fired or the department store went out of business or something so the cast moved to a farm and started living there. It's still a sitcom, though if I recall correctly the episode explaining the shift was a downer episode. (I didn't really watch the show, I just saw it sometimes because it aired after/before Keeping Up Appearances.)

Genre shifting is the premise of "Excel Saga". It's pretty much a comedy all the way through, but at the beginning of most episodes there's a guy 'the writer' who says, "Ehhh.. This is a sci-fi show now." Or "I'm making it horror this time!", or so on. These changes really only signify what genre the show is going to start parodying and they happen in most every episode, so it makes the show feel hyperactive (like almost all the characters), not like an actual shift has taken place.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Genre shifting is the premise of "Excel Saga". It's pretty much a comedy all the way through, but at the beginning of most episodes there's a guy 'the writer' who says, "Ehhh.. This is a sci-fi show now." Or "I'm making it horror this time!", or so on. These changes really only signify what genre the show is going to start parodying and they happen in most every episode, so it makes the show feel hyperactive (like almost all the characters), not like an actual shift has taken place.
    xD It's the running gag of the show and the show is tagged "Quack Experimental Animation". ... Now I've got to watch it again.
    Though there is a shift in the later episodes when the show actually takes a serious turn (still with a few gags though)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    This.

Totally ruined the show. The cast changes were annoying but survivable*. When they changed the premise of the series, all the fun was gone.

*Not Jerry O'Connell, though. He was the main protagonist. When he left, the show was kaput.

I really, really want a remake.
    Exactly, If they didn't mess it up, we could be seeing Dr. Who and Sliders crossover.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

One that comes to my mind is 20th century boys.
    and i would say berserk anime also even though the change happens only for last couple episodes or so.

excel saga was mentioned i think there was one moment that really made sudden change when in apocalyptic world Excel returns to Ilpalazzo. What happened there and how it was shown was just so unexpected.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Samurai Flamenco. Multiple times.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    By this point I just register Samurai Flamenco's genre as "Samurai Flamenco".

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Blassreiter did the same thing sort of. Only it was darker and kept killing off protagonists when the set up changed.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-01-25 at 02:41 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Blassreiter
    I'm trying to parse that title in my head and the more I do, the more it begins to hurt. I think someone just typed "Pale Rider" into a bad online German translator, because that would be at least an explanation. But really. Someone who rides on something that is pale? Someone who rides in a pale fashion? How does that even work?

Gaaaaaaaaaah.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'm trying to parse that title in my head and the more I do, the more it begins to hurt. I think someone just typed "Pale Rider" into a bad online German translator, because that would be at least an explanation. But really. Someone who rides on something that is pale? Someone who rides in a pale fashion? How does that even work?

Gaaaaaaaaaah.
    A term for one who rides on a pale horse?

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Rider