New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIII: Stashing Ponythreads Around in Case of Ponymergency!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Someone know who that pony with the red Pinkie-style hair is? Someone on the show's OC? I've seen her pop up a lot lately.

All right, fine. Her name is K-dans forever now.
    I got the impression that it is very much officially confirmed to be CadAnce and not CadEnce, but I'm not sure of the source of that.

Personally I don't mind. People give their children names with much stranger spellings than that, so why not ponies? In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel a pretty pink pony princess like Cadance, the most obvious marketing ploy ever, needs something to make her a little less generic and forgettable. It's a futile effort in the face of all that pure pink plainness, of course, but nevertheless.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIII: Stashing Ponythreads Around in Case of Ponymergency!

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Let me clarify: you're going up against A) the trigger-happy psychopath with an army of ninjas and multiple orbital mini-Death Stars, Ab) the prince who is actually a dragon, B) the eldritch horror with an army of undead and other nasties, C) the aforementioned lich capable, apparently, of ending trillions of lives when he loses, and D) the nominally neutral WMD distributor who cares little about collateral damage from his arsenal of paranuclear explosives.

Unless your OC is Discord, you're going down.
    Let's not forget E) the eldritch abomination who runs around offering dubious Faustian (and not in the good sense) pacts to everypony and F) the evil vampiric pony princess.

Ponythread is something of a mecca for powerful, amoral entities.

Speaking of...

Alright folks, here it is: The big one. Load the airships, arm the Balmas Blimp, set up a dozen additional Swiss Bank accounts, and paint Luna's face on the prow of my Flagship: Ponythread is going to war.
    Very well then.
    TWILIGHT SPARKLE IS THE BEST PONY, RARITYxSPIKE IS THE BEST SHIP, AND I HAVE AN ARSENAL OF OFCS FOR ANYPONY WHO SAYS OTHERWISE!

This won't end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Someone know who that pony with the red Pinkie-style hair is? Someone on the show's OC? I've seen her pop up a lot lately.
    Actually I was wondering that myself.
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2012-09-09 at 12:45 PM.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is everyone evil. 6_9

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

http://mutatingraven.deviantart.com/
    I got the impression that it is very much officially confirmed to be CadAnce and not CadEnce, but I'm not sure of the source of that.

Personally I don't mind. People give their children names with much stranger spellings than that, so why not ponies? In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel a pretty pink pony princess like Cadance, the most obvious marketing ploy ever, needs something to make her a little less generic and forgettable. It's a futile effort in the face of all that pure pink plainness, of course, but nevertheless.
    And even though they never pronounce it like that, and even though her given name is "Cadenza," she is K-dans forever now.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    Zz'dtri's cutie mark?
    ....V's but with color's inverted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

headcanon

Cadance is filly Twi's way of attempting to spell and pronounce Cadenza
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Kindablue! I didn't recogonize you with your avatar! :O

Yoooooo wassuuuuuppppp how are the ponies?

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Why is everyone evil. 6_9
    Quite frankly, it comes down to roleplay limitations. When you play a good character, it places a limitation on your character. Would your character really strike down that villain, regardless of how much he deserves it? Would he detonate that bomb to destroy his nemesis, even if it would destroy the nearby town of innocent villagers? What is a step too far to go?

If you're evil, there's no problem. They're just villagers, after all.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks

And even though they never pronounce it like that, and even though her given name is "Cadenza," she is K-dans forever now.
    I'd pronounce Cadance and Cadence the same. That's what comes natural to me, but that might just be me. Edit: Apparently it ought to depend on whether your from the US or the UK. In the US there should be no difference in pronunciation, generally speaking, ignoring all the many, many subtleties of dialects I'm sure
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-09-09 at 01:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quite frankly, it comes down to roleplay limitations. When you play a good character, it places a limitation on your character. Would your character really strike down that villain, regardless of how much he deserves it? Would he detonate that bomb to destroy his nemesis, even if it would destroy the nearby town of innocent villagers? What is a step too far to go?

In which Tectonic Robot complains about things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh. But, uh... this is Ponythread, yo. @_@

I mean, it's like... ponies. And we have... like... seven different power-tripping super people running around. Who are blowing other ponies up. 'S crazy, man.

I guess I'm just surprised at the level of crazy mad scientists/world destroying cultists/armies/amoral businessponies/etc. etc. etc. to, well, ponies. I suppose that there are plenty of regular ponies running aboot, but since they aren't being crazy over-the-top super powered wackadoos they don't get very much attention/aren't too noticable.

In other news, I need to rewatch the Discord episodes. Because ♫Discoooord, I'm howling at the moon~♪

11. - Top - End - #191

So everyone is evil because it's easier?

On a more happy and less depressing note towards the powers of good being the hard path no one takes, lets have some Apple Pie.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    ........Griflicious

All pretty good.

I just found this. I cannot take credit for it, but it's so freaken funny I wish I could.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, Dark Overlord, sir, I cannot express my delight
    I know somewhere in here –
    In my circus of fear –
    There’s a monster for you that’s just right

I can't wait to get started, but first let me make a decree:
    This beast better be rough
    And it better be tough
    It’ll face six mid-level PCs

High Challenge Rating, got it!

Well I’m sure finding suitable monsters will be quite a breeze

How ‘bout something with status effects – maybe fear or disease

Sure! How 'bout Sir Flumph-y?
    He’s spiky and flies and squirts acid with ease

Do you know what I do to those who displease?

Please sire, have faith
    Give me just one minute
    Somewhere in here is the beast that’ll win it

Come on, no rest for the wicked!

Wicked is good. I'd like it to be Evil.

Really? Because I think this owlbear has your name written all over it. True Neutral; Smite Evil won't work. Aww, look, he’s violent!

Pass.

I have so many wonderful monsters you’re sure to adore
    There are ogres and wights
    That I bet will delight

Their Challenge Rating’s below Four.

Maybe so, but I've seen this particular wight drain ten character levels in one encounter when he used his lucky dice!

That's it. Throw her to the dire weasels.

Wait! I’ve still got more choices
    If you’ll just perceive it
    How 'bout a cockatrice, or a salt mephit?

Fiercer. And crueler.

Fiercer, crueler. Right.

I've got just the thing in this hole, sire
    Meet Duke Archibald Grey, the Gnoll!

It's just a gnoll.

Not just any gnoll. A gnoll Aristocrat!

...An NPC class? Let me make myself clear...

Listen you fool, this won't cut it
    I need a monster worthy of me
    Something horrid, something vile
    Not anthro hyena bourgeoisie!

I'm sensing you want a monster that’s very powerful.

Ya think?

I have plenty of wonderful monsters both evil and strong
    Like a huge purple worm or maybe an adult black dragon

Intriguing. Continue.

Of course. How 'bout an tophet, or a lich, or a roper?
    When it comes to my monsters, the surface we’ve barely scratched
    There’s rakshasas and devils
    In cruelty they revel
    Or perhaps you’d prefer this lovely frumious bandersnatch?

Impressive… most impressive. But instead of just one standout, now that's too many.

So many monsters, showing fangs and antennae

Not a bad problem to have, if someone else is fighting ‘em.

The rakshasa is awesome, but the worm I'm digging too
    Do you have something in a purple striped fiend?

No.

I've got a dreaded gazebo, just dying to meet you

What to do, what to do? [gasp]
    A prize! That's it! There's really just one way
    To find out which monster is best
    Hold a contest of speed, attack, defense, and wit
    That will put each beast to the test

Don't forget HP, that should be remembered

Then we'll know who’s best and who would get dismembered

The one who is mighty and cruel

Just like me
    Can't settle for less, 'cause I'm the best

So a contest we will see

Who's the number one, vilest, villainous beast

In the world for me

May the games

Begin!

And may the best beast win!
    That is just so spectacular. I pictured Bleakbane being the evil overlord there and doing a bit of song and dance as evil Fluttershy shows him all the monsters.

This needs to become art somehow. Pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    That is a work of genius and I wish I could tip my hat to the one responsible.
    That too.

Zz'dtri's cutie mark?
    Hmm, how about a speech bubble with the ... symbol? Or maybe something like a dark magic wand or scroll.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's no creature on Earth as wily as a farmer."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Zz'dtri's cutie mark?
    V's corpse? I mean the guy tailored has tailored his build specifically against hir, I don't know why he's so obsessed (aside from the obvious drow elf hatred thing and the lawyer incident) but it does seem to be an obsession.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    A trillion is a thousand billions.

I reached that number in one game of Galactic Civilisations. At the end, on the biggest map possible, as the most populous race possible.

A trillion is a big number.
    True. However.

AOTRS is one of an (as far as I'm aware) unspecified number of space empires. In common use, "space empire" refers to an organization exercising control of multiple inhabited planets. I'd say it's not entirely implausible, especially if some species would rather terraform than wander off hoping to find something appropriate to their physiology, for the galaxy to contain well over 125 inhabited planets. And that's all it would take to reach a trillion if we assume Earth is fairly average (instead of high-end).
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    /snip
    Dwama! :D

*Just found this post* >.> <.<

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    True. However.

AOTRS is one of an (as far as I'm aware) unspecified number of space empires. In common use, "space empire" refers to an organization exercising control of multiple inhabited planets. I'd say it's not entirely implausible, especially if some species would rather terraform than wander off hoping to find something appropriate to their physiology, for the galaxy to contain well over 125 inhabited planets. And that's all it would take to reach a trillion if we assume Earth is fairly average (instead of high-end).
    Yes, but going to 10 times that amount, or one hundred times that amount would be truly massive in scope. To reach a quadrillion, as was suggested, would be mind-bogglingly large, even when talking about populations amidst multiple space empires.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'd pronounce Cadance and Cadence the same. That's what comes natural to me, but that might just be me. Edit: Apparently it ought to depend on whether your from the US or the UK. In the US there should be no difference in pronunciation, generally speaking, ignoring all the many, many subtleties of dialects I'm sure
    I give people the benefit of the doubt and wouldn't pronounce a misspelled word any differently either.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-09-09 at 01:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Well, I'd say it couldn't hurt, but it depends how it works out.
    Quick question and answer session;

Hero List, the Testening.

1) Your Nemesis is in Canterlot, and through a twist of fate, so are numerous explosives placed throughout the heavily populated capitol.
    Do you A) Open Fire
    or B) Find a way to defuse and make safe the strategically placed explosives.

2) An Evil Cult has taken up residence underneath Manehatten. Do you
    A) Unleash an irradiated, tentacle covered Kaiju (Godzilla style) to destroy the cult, with the inevitable damage to the city being easily written off as "Unscheduled Remodelling"
    Or B) Work with the legitimate Authorities in order to untangle the cult from Manehatten society and bring them to justice.

3) Your Nemesis is cornered, after your success in the above two scenarios. He pleads for Mercy, but you know that this may be your one chance to kill him, once and for all.

What do you do?

Edit - Bonus Round Question;
    Is there such a thing as acceptable collatoral damage and if so, please define and/or quantify.
    Ooooh nice! questchungs!
    You ask for arguments too?... adding them anyways
    1)Answer B:
    Cuz opening fire could make him press the button of innocent-harming explosions before he's completely out and give explosions a worse name, better disarm as many as possible (with priority on how dangerous they are) and then open fire when it's safe, or better: plant them where he is!

2) Answer B:
    A is just mindless destruction and how are the others going to know it's hunting bad guys? working with others to stop them could give info on what was going on and help at getting them.
    Or if I could add a third option
    C: Try to rescue away any initiate they may have (if they have anything that binds them to the thing they worship, get the safe ones and try to rescue the ones with an erradicable one), stop it's high ranks via explosive strategy (preferably non-lethal by dazzing or something) and help the authorities get the rest of it. Though it's part of the plan for B too

3) Depending on what he has done, what did he intend to do and how dangerous is he: Could just let him go with a warning, another screw up and he/she's going down; or could seal in an X amount of cans with a Y spread between each other.

Bonus: depends, how many does it help? what kind of bad stuff happens? if it's destroying a building with a portal-nuke (IE. Portal to a negative-energy plane), then ok, but make sure to evacuate the place of people if possible. Collateral damage sucks, the point is lessening it while achieving the objective.

Let me clarify: you're going up against A) the trigger-happy psychopath with an army of ninjas and multiple orbital mini-Death Stars, Ab) the prince who is actually a dragon, B) the eldritch horror with an army of undead and other nasties, C) the aforementioned lich capable, apparently, of ending trillions of lives when he loses, and D) the nominally neutral WMD distributor who cares little about collateral damage from his arsenal of paranuclear explosives.

Unless your OC is Discord, you're going down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Let's not forget E) the eldritch abomination who runs around offering dubious Faustian (and not in the good sense) pacts to everypony and F) the evil vampiric pony princess.

Ponythread is something of a mecca for powerful, amoral entities.
    ....Nice!
    More fights then!
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Quick question and answer session;

Hero List, the Testening.
    -snip-
    Those seem to be very specifically worded such that Boffinspark fails each of them...
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    headcanon

Cadance is filly Twi's way of attempting to spell and pronounce Cadenza
    Oooh I like this headcanon.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Ooooh nice! questchungs!
    You ask for arguments too?... adding them anyways
    1)Answer B:
    Cuz opening fire could make him press the button of innocent-harming explosions before he's completely out and give explosions a worse name, better disarm as many as possible (with priority on how dangerous they are) and then open fire when it's safe, or better: plant them where he is!

2) Answer B:
    A is just mindless destruction and how are the others going to know it's hunting bad guys? working with others to stop them could give info on what was going on and help at getting them.
    Or if I could add a third option
    C: Try to rescue away any initiate they may have (if they have anything that binds them to the thing they worship, get the safe ones and try to rescue the ones with an erradicable one), stop it's high ranks via explosive strategy (preferably non-lethal by dazzing or something) and help the authorities get the rest of it. Though it's part of the plan for B too

3) Depending on what he has done, what did he intend to do and how dangerous is he: Could just let him go with a warning, another screw up and he/she's going down; or could seal in an X amount of cans with a Y spread between each other.

Bonus: depends, how many does it help? what kind of bad stuff happens? if it's destroying a building with a portal-nuke (IE. Portal to a negative-energy plane), then ok, but make sure to evacuate the place of people if possible. Collateral damage sucks, the point is lessening it while achieving the objective.
    You show promise. Intruiging.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Those seem to be very specifically worded such that Boffinspark fails each of them...
    Actually, they are more or less things that actually happened, and using Boffinspark as the ur-example of a ponythread monster who considers themself a hero.

Note - The exception being the nemesis at your mercy example, which was Dragon-prince Regeln who did apparently show mercy.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

So I just found this, and I thought it was adorbz.

24. - Top - End - #204

I'd like to point out that the general alignment of the thread is chaotic-stupid, and there's a lot of chaotic-good around, so some characters have to hold the villain ball.

And there's The Pink One which transcends your petty morality in ways you cannot imagine.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

Former Avatar 2

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    hmmmmm........ now where have I seen that before?
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know. What's weird is that the soundcloud poster-person shares a name with you!

Speaking of, did you send it in? Or was is it someone else?
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

28. - Top - End - #208

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Is it important that Cadance not be Celestia's niece? I mean, I'm not giving the ad that much credit or anything, but we don't have any canon evidence contradicting it. So on one side we have what you consider to be a very weak source saying she's the niece, and on the other side we have no evidence at all. That still suggests that niece=yes should be the default interpretation unless there's some important reason why having Cadance be related to Celestia messes stuff up.
    Its less about the particular issue then about what people look to for information. Ads are irrelevant because they are always irrelevant. You want rake through every bit of promotional material and see if it adds up to a harmonious whole? Bet you bits to pony feathers it doesn't.

Taking marketing you will inevitably have to account for why say a synopsis was misleading or flat wrong, you inevitably will be picking and choosing what is "true."

Canonicity does not have ever decreasing degrees, it goes to a certain point and then stops dead. Its sharply limited. Corporate authority can do that, but only when discernibly in that specific capacity.

Now "Celestia's niece" on its own is already dealt with by Blueblood's parallel case. Until Celestia is revealed to have another sibling it doesn't matter since obviously she's not Celestia's daughter and Luna was on another planetary body when Cadance was a filly. Its just Blueblood all over again, really a distant relation simply called niece by ponies.

Word of Faust is that Celestia/Luna have no siblings or children, as a background detail from the creator that has the fullest weight possible until the show changes it onscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    Pinkie'd you last page

Did you send that in at all or did someone on the ponynet just stumble across it?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Um, just wanted to mention project mentioned in Post #10 has one spot left
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"