New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIII: Stashing Ponythreads Around in Case of Ponymergency!

Did some train reading again. Thanks for entertaining me, priests of Apollony. I have the following to say, in no particular order:
    • "Yours truly" was great. I have no idea what emotion it filled me with, and why, but ugghhh ~_~
    • "The old stories" reminded me of "The Homilies of Blessed Almalexia", for obvious reasons. Also, legends and African fairytales, but that's even more obvious.
    • "Do not serve these ponies" and "A study in rainbows" were fun and well written, even if I can't say much more about them. Having the tar falls be a common world feature is definitely a cool idea.
    • "What dreams may come" left a big impact. This one I know why: I have a problem with making big decisions. I'm either destroying the world where I chose (a) or the world where I chose (b). But that's after-over-analisys, it just worked for me. Also, it's well written and stuff. I was thankful the climax was not longer and more developed. Maybe it should have been, or maybe that would have been a bit cliche and overdrawn.
    • "Always has been" is delightfully meta. It's not finished, right?
    • "Dark night" is a story that needed to exist, as simple as that.
    • "Duel nature" is not finished and already pretty long, but it managed to keep me interested to the latest chapter. You're good at characters and interactions, aren't you?
    • "Mood wings" contains my favorite type of shipping: humorous. And my favorite type of humor: innocently saucy.
    • "Twilight discovers literary analysis" is bizzaro-world version of "A beautiful day in Equestria". Fun fun fun. It's the kind of meta experiments fanfics are great for.
    • "Writing is hard" reminds me in some way of "Naked singularity". WiH is shorter and with less build-up has less potential for facepalmingly excruciating shame. On the other hoof, you have six different silly styles instead of one.
    • "No tame forest" was a nice story. It's not something I usually look for, but it's good to see ponies having good old-fashioned pony adventures. Developing Zecora is a nice plus.
    • "The pony who wanted to be a real puppet" is the one I probably liked the least of this batch of fanfics, but not by much. For my taste the premise is too mean to be vanilla, and the execution is not dark and psychological enough to be a serious what-if. It is an interesting idea though.
    • "Fillysata" in epub format doesn't show most of the third act on my reader, so I put it (and the sequels) off for later.

Also, late Chekhov is much better then his early stories IMO. Probably because he's not trying to be so funny all the time to please the publishers. On that note, putting the complete body of works on the reader probably was not worth it, the man has written a lot of letters and stuff in his life.

The Wat of the day is brought to you by some random Russian tumblr. I have no luck locating the source.
    Spoiler
    Show

Socks... no, they are already mainstream. Let's go with some rugged manly footwraps.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIII: Stashing Ponythreads Around in Case of Ponymergency!

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Those seem to be very specifically worded such that Boffinspark fails each of them...
    I agree, that questionnaire is prejudiced against mad scientists!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Actually, they are more or less things that actually happened, and using Boffinspark as the ur-example of a ponythread monster who considers themself a hero.

Note - The exception being the nemesis at your mercy example, which was Dragon-prince Regeln who did apparently show mercy.
    Tell me, given that Boffinspark is a lunatic with an arsenal of orbital laser cannons, who commands a fleet of airship crewed by a seemingly inexhaustible supply of cloned ninjas, and who has on more than one occasion demonstrated a willingness to unleash giant monsters upon whoever crosses him, has it ever occurred to you that convincing this psychopath that he’s better suited to being an actual villain might not be the best idea? At least as long as he's convinced himself he's a hero he's not actively trying to destroy Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'd like to point out that the general alignment of the thread is chaotic-stupid, and there's a lot of chaotic-good around, so some characters have to hold the villain ball.

And there's The Pink One which transcends your petty morality in ways you cannot imagine.
    Frankly, I'd say Chaotic Stupid might be the most appropriate way to describe the professor. He's not malicious so much as he just hasn't realized that solving all of your problems with giant space-lasers isn't the best idea.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post

I just found this. I cannot take credit for it, but it's so freaken funny I wish I could.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, Dark Overlord, sir, I cannot express my delight
    I know somewhere in here –
    In my circus of fear –
    There’s a monster for you that’s just right

I can't wait to get started, but first let me make a decree:
    This beast better be rough
    And it better be tough
    It’ll face six mid-level PCs

High Challenge Rating, got it!

Well I’m sure finding suitable monsters will be quite a breeze

How ‘bout something with status effects – maybe fear or disease

Sure! How 'bout Sir Flumph-y?
    He’s spiky and flies and squirts acid with ease

Do you know what I do to those who displease?

Please sire, have faith
    Give me just one minute
    Somewhere in here is the beast that’ll win it

Come on, no rest for the wicked!

Wicked is good. I'd like it to be Evil.

Really? Because I think this owlbear has your name written all over it. True Neutral; Smite Evil won't work. Aww, look, he’s violent!

Pass.

I have so many wonderful monsters you’re sure to adore
    There are ogres and wights
    That I bet will delight

Their Challenge Rating’s below Four.

Maybe so, but I've seen this particular wight drain ten character levels in one encounter when he used his lucky dice!

That's it. Throw her to the dire weasels.

Wait! I’ve still got more choices
    If you’ll just perceive it
    How 'bout a cockatrice, or a salt mephit?

Fiercer. And crueler.

Fiercer, crueler. Right.

I've got just the thing in this hole, sire
    Meet Duke Archibald Grey, the Gnoll!

It's just a gnoll.

Not just any gnoll. A gnoll Aristocrat!

...An NPC class? Let me make myself clear...

Listen you fool, this won't cut it
    I need a monster worthy of me
    Something horrid, something vile
    Not anthro hyena bourgeoisie!

I'm sensing you want a monster that’s very powerful.

Ya think?

I have plenty of wonderful monsters both evil and strong
    Like a huge purple worm or maybe an adult black dragon

Intriguing. Continue.

Of course. How 'bout an tophet, or a lich, or a roper?
    When it comes to my monsters, the surface we’ve barely scratched
    There’s rakshasas and devils
    In cruelty they revel
    Or perhaps you’d prefer this lovely frumious bandersnatch?

Impressive… most impressive. But instead of just one standout, now that's too many.

So many monsters, showing fangs and antennae

Not a bad problem to have, if someone else is fighting ‘em.

The rakshasa is awesome, but the worm I'm digging too
    Do you have something in a purple striped fiend?

No.

I've got a dreaded gazebo, just dying to meet you

What to do, what to do? [gasp]
    A prize! That's it! There's really just one way
    To find out which monster is best
    Hold a contest of speed, attack, defense, and wit
    That will put each beast to the test

Don't forget HP, that should be remembered

Then we'll know who’s best and who would get dismembered

The one who is mighty and cruel

Just like me
    Can't settle for less, 'cause I'm the best

So a contest we will see

Who's the number one, vilest, villainous beast

In the world for me

May the games

Begin!

And may the best beast win!
    "I've got a dreaded Gazebo, just dying to meet you"

..whoever did this obviously reads Knights of the Dinner Table
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Oracle's Cutie Mark?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    Oracle's Cutie Mark?
    Taimat's seven heads would be my bet.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

My gods. It's beautiful.

Can't you feel it? That cool, turquoise blue autum wind like a bubble I glass, adding its chill touch to the bright golden warmth that limns us all? One forgets that the seasons matter, living as we do in climate controlled rectangles of human stasis. But time marches on, anyway. There is such Beauty to be found in that flow, like a calming river. Such peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    And I love it.

Let me clarify: *you're going up against A) the trigger-happy psychopath with an army of ninjas and multiple orbital mini-Death Stars, Ab) the prince who is actually a dragon, B) the eldritch horror with an army of undead and other nasties, C) the aforementioned lich whose military has already ended trillions of lives, and D) the nominally neutral WMD distributor who cares little about collateral damage from his arsenal of paranuclear explosives.

Even if your OC is Discord, you're going down.
    Fixed for truth.

Zz'dtri's cutie mark?
    V's, color inverted!

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Why is everyone evil. 6_9
    Silly Tectonic, amorality isn't evil, it's jus-bwahahahahahahaaha

Oh

Oh man

Almost

Almost said that with a straight face

Heeheehehee~

In which Tectonic Robot complains about things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh. But, uh... this is Ponythread, yo. @_@

I mean, it's like... ponies. And we have... like... seven different power-tripping super people running around. Who are blowing other ponies up. 'S crazy, man.

I guess I'm just surprised at the level of crazy mad scientists/world destroying cultists/armies/amoral businessponies/etc. etc. etc. to, well, ponies. I suppose that there are plenty of regular ponies running aboot, but since they aren't being crazy over-the-top super powered wackadoos they don't get very much attention/aren't too noticable.

In other news, I need to rewatch the Discord episodes. Because ♫Discoooord, I'm howling at the moon~♪
    I'd like to point out that most of those are all the same two people. The two 'strongest' have never actually done anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That is just so spectacular. I pictured Bleakbane being the evil overlord there and doing a bit of song and dance as evil Fluttershy shows him all the monsters.*

This needs to become art somehow. Pretty please?
    *sigh*
    fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Those seem to be very specifically worded such that Boffinspark fails each of them...
    Boffenspark's justification for being the good one is LITERALLY "I've killed 500 innocents, but he's killed 500 and 1 innocents! I'm totally the good guy here."

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    So I just found this, and I thought it was adorbz.
    Adorbz is best word~

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    I know. What's weird is that the soundcloud poster-person shares a name with you!

Speaking of, did you send it in? Or was is it someone else?
    CHANGELINGS!
    I blame them

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post

Said Gazebo predates the knights of the dinner table, having been in a letter sent to The Dragon.

-

Spoiler
    Show

"How is it?" the voice was tinny, far away. And plaintive.

"Not bad. Weightlessness is... Disorienting. Ponykinesis helps."

Through the yawning chasm, she notes that it's not so bad. Beautiful, even, of you ignore the life threatening peril of it all. And then it came into view.

"Target acquired. I repeat; asset is in view.". Her voice was all business.

"Do we have a designation?"

"Confirmed. Beginning full analysis. Checking for gyroscopic sensors before touchdown."

Her horn wiggles a bit, throwing her slightly off course. The dull, ceramic white of the thing - so like an eggshell, she marvels - criss-crossed by fluorescent orange web work as her magic took hold.

The vibrations from*Her horn picked up as she focused. There was no time for balance; they needed this data.

"We've got some problems. There are gyroscopes and magiscopes in bedded in the outer hull. Touchdown, possibly even base anchoring, could set them off. I'm transmitting the info now. Can you give me the necessary bypass?"

"Sure thing!" The voice on the other end slowly tinges dark with suspicion. "What's the other problem?"

Deep breathe. Stay professional. "We didn't account for weightlessness. My scans created minute vibrations and I have no anchor. I'm adrift." On the exhale, her breath shakes. No use hiding it now. "Off the record? I'm scared, Gerry. Hurry back. Schema out."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

You show promise. Intruiging.
    oh my.....brrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I agree, that questionnaire is prejudiced against mad scientists!
    If the mad scientist explodes the whole place without caring about collateral damage then yes! it's against them cuz that's bad, one's supposed to get the bad guys to make the others safe without getting the safe ones.

.....Uhhh, can I use blue text?...He's blue too
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-09-09 at 06:35 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    My gods. It's beautiful.

Can't you feel it? That cool, turquoise blue autum wind like a bubble I glass, adding its chill touch to the bright golden warmth that limns us all? One forgets that the seasons matter, living as we do in climate controlled rectangles of human stasis. But time marches on, anyway. There is such Beauty to be found in that flow, like a calming river. Such peace.
    So like a summer Thursday, I'll cry for rain
    To come and turn the ground to green again.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Why is everyone evil. 6_9
    The good ones are too busy quietly saving the world to be posting in here lately

Kindablue! I didn't recogonize you with your avatar! :O

Yoooooo wassuuuuuppppp how are the ponies?
    Hi Tect! I see you! *hugs*

Quick question and answer session;

Hero List, the Testening.

1) Your Nemesis is in Canterlot, and through a twist of fate, so are numerous explosives placed throughout the heavily populated capitol.
    Do you A) Open Fire
    or B) Find a way to defuse and make safe the strategically placed explosives.

2) An Evil Cult has taken up residence underneath Manehatten. Do you
    A) Unleash an irradiated, tentacle covered Kaiju (Godzilla style) to destroy the cult, with the inevitable damage to the city being easily written off as "Unscheduled Remodelling"
    Or B) Work with the legitimate Authorities in order to untangle the cult from Manehatten society and bring them to justice.

3) Your Nemesis is cornered, after your success in the above two scenarios. He pleads for Mercy, but you know that this may be your one chance to kill him, once and for all.

What do you do?

Edit - Bonus Round Question;
    Is there such a thing as acceptable collatoral damage and if so, please define and/or quantify.
    On behalf of Iggy, since I'm trying to defend his hero-ness.

1) Option B: Partly because Iggy does not have a means of attempting option A. Partly because he would probably achieve an option B outcome simply by going up to said nemesis and giving him a hug and inadvertantly hitting the off button on the explosives detonator as he does so.

2) Option C: Join the cult, throw them a party. Inadvertantly ruin their plans by dropping popcorn into their summoning ritual.

3) Give him a hug and an invite to the next Royal Guard tea and muffins bake off.

Bonus round question: Iggy doesn't consciously accept collateral damage. It may happen, but in his mind that just means you're not doing your job right.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizmat View Post
    [*]"The pony who wanted to be a real puppet" is the one I probably liked the least of this batch of fanfics, but not by much. For my taste the premise is too mean to be vanilla, and the execution is not dark and psychological enough to be a serious what-if. It is an interesting idea though.
    It was a very random story, and sadly I never really did realize what I actually wanted to make of it until long after it was finished. And by then I just didn't care enough about it to rewrite it.

But thanks for reading it. It's not one I'd show off as an example of my work, either

[*]"Fillysata" in epub format doesn't show most of the third act on my reader, so I put it (and the sequels) off for later.
    That's too bad. Where are these epubs? Edit: If these are the ones made by others, then they might also not be up to date. I've done some editing of my stories over time, although nothing major in most cases.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-09-09 at 07:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personaly lost it at "Not anthro hyena bourgeoisie!"
    Oracle's Cutie Mark?
    Second SlyGuyMcFly's idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

You don't get out much, do you?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Colossus in the Playground

Did some train reading again. Thanks for entertaining me, priests of Apollony. I have the following to say, in no particular order:
    • "Yours truly" was great. I have no idea what emotion it filled me with, and why, but ugghhh ~_~
    • "The old stories" reminded me of "The Homilies of Blessed Almalexia", for obvious reasons. Also, legends and African fairytales, but that's even more obvious.
    • "Do not serve these ponies" and "A study in rainbows" were fun and well written, even if I can't say much more about them. Having the tar falls be a common world feature is definitely a cool idea.
    I am glad to have entertained.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-09 at 08:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Tell me, given that Boffinspark is a lunatic with an arsenal of orbital laser cannons, who commands a fleet of airship crewed by a seemingly inexhaustible supply of cloned ninjas, and who has on more than one occasion demonstrated a willingness to unleash giant monsters upon whoever crosses him, has it ever occurred to you that convincing this psychopath that he’s better suited to being an actual villain might not be the best idea? At least as long as he's convinced himself he's a hero he's not actively trying to destroy Equestria.
    There is a vast, vast gulf between Hero and Villain. But I'm not trying to convince him of anything.
    (But like with Bleakbane's threat, I find it hard to believe that one should allow Evil free-reign simply because it threatens to do much worse if you try to stop it.)

Besides, surely that's what you're for? To stop him once and for all if he ever goes Evil. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    If the mad scientist explodes the whole place without caring about collateral damage then yes! it's against them cuz that's bad, one's supposed to get the bad guys to make the others safe without getting the safe ones.
    A simple way of stating a complex concept, but not a bad one at all.

Blastech - Inadvertant Heroism is a step up from Ponythreads usual lack, at least, as long as the intention is heroic at least. If for example, he genuinely wanted to join the cult that he eventually went on to accidentally thwart, that's a very different situation.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Its less about the particular issue then about what people look to for information. Ads are irrelevant because they are always irrelevant. You want rake through every bit of promotional material and see if it adds up to a harmonious whole? Bet you bits to pony feathers it doesn't.

Taking marketing you will inevitably have to account for why say a synopsis was misleading or flat wrong, you inevitably will be picking and choosing what is "true."

Canonicity does not have ever decreasing degrees, it goes to a certain point and then stops dead. Its sharply limited. Corporate authority can do that, but only when discernibly in that specific capacity.

Now "Celestia's niece" on its own is already dealt with by Blueblood's parallel case. Until Celestia is revealed to have another sibling it doesn't matter since obviously she's not Celestia's daughter and Luna was on another planetary body when Cadance was a filly. Its just Blueblood all over again, really a distant relation simply called niece by ponies.

Word of Faust is that Celestia/Luna have no siblings or children, as a background detail from the creator that has the fullest weight possible until the show changes it onscreen.

Pinkie'd you last page

Did you send that in at all or did someone on the ponynet just stumble across it?
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. You're free to decide what you believe or disbelieve after considering all of it. But if you are willfully withholding information from others in order to prevent them from making their own decisions, or telling them that their decisions are flat out wrong because they're relying on information you have chosen to disregard, you're making other ponies worse off. Everypony should be able to decide for themselves whether there's a contradiction and what they want to believe, including the strength of the the various sources.

Edit: Just to make this specific, we literally had Pokonic saying on the previous page that he was pretty sure Cadance was the niece but couldn't remember where he had read it and was ready to write it off as fanon. I linked him to the add where it had been stated because he did actually have a reason for having remembered that he read that somewhere. So, I don't understand why you would respond by telling me that the add is worthless.

*sigh*
    fine.
    yes yes yes yes yes yes!
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-09 at 09:15 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Blastech - Inadvertant Heroism is a step up from Ponythreads usual lack, at least, as long as the intention is heroic at least. If for example, he genuinely wanted to join the cult that he eventually went on to accidentally thwart, that's a very different situation.
    One of the great mysteries of Iggy is whether or not to put inverted commas around the word "inadvertantly" in anything he does.

Hint: *REDACTED*.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    On an unrelated note, new avatar change. Past due anyway.
    Tis very nice! I give Lyra two thumbs u-- oh wait...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sweetie Belle has the cutest smile here.

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    On a more happy and less depressing note towards the powers of good being the hard path no one takes, lets have some Apple Pie.
    **Gives up evil for a slice of that Apple Pie**
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. You're free to decide what you believe or disbelieve after considering all of it. But if you are willfully withholding information from others in order to prevent them from making their own decisions, or telling them that their decisions are flat out wrong because they're relying on information you have chosen to disregard, you're making other ponies worse off. Everypony should be able to decide for themselves whether there's a contradiction and what they want to believe, including the strength of the the various sources.

Edit: Just to make this specific, we literally had Pokonic saying on the previous page that he was pretty sure Cadance was the niece but couldn't remember where he had read it and was ready to write it off as fanon. I linked him to the add where it had been stated because he did actually have a reason for having remembered that he read that somewhere. So, I don't understand why you would respond by telling me that the add is worthless.
    Perhaps better to say that the add is meaningless, irrelevant to speculation, or unofficial. Always knowing where a notion comes from is important in and of itself, but in the interest of accuracy.

Coming from an add is as significant/meaningful/official etc as fanon though.

Heck you can speculate there's actually a third sister, maybe Celestia and Luna have an earth themed sibling that rules another principality. And a fourth that rules the sea ponies. And then Cadance can be the daughter of either of those, probably the Earth one based on us knowing she appears in some context of whatever this Crystal whatever is.

However that Times advertisement... offers no meaningful support one way or the other. Even if its right it is effectively just a coincidence.

Speculation is to be treated with no mercy and probably routinely ground to mush just on principle, or one is setting oneself up for failure. Or your setting yourself up for proud nonsense like the MLP wiki practices with pony names and awkward terms like Pegasus Unicorn.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

I think you're missing a huge thing here Tiki. There is a gulf between villain and hero. There is also a gulf between Hero and Super Hero. Flex Pluther and his space cannon armada and infinite Santaran army is not a pony level issue. Neither is Negasoul McRandomgod and his army of cadavers which somehow outnumber equestria's population for the last five centuries.

The non-pony level people have tried dealing with them. We succeeded. They are locked in their own existences, endlessly girding while others watch and eat popcorn. You aren't going to argue morality with All My Foals all day are you?

As for Bleakbane, he's, seriously, not a problem. His existence isn't a crime, and he hasn't really done anything evil, until the the whole assisted suicide thing. If a demonically powered megalomaniac comes here to cool his jets and enjoy ponies, who are we to trow his race in his face? Isn't that a little bit tacky?

-

Spoiler
    Show
    Think. Think think think. THINK!
    The bedraggled looking earth pony continues to scribble across a field of scattered notes, wiping sweat from his brow and into his spiky chestnut mane with a hoof. There has to be something...

"RRREARGH!"
    His pencil snaps user the strain, an he flogs his left foreleg across the workspace, scattering the notes to match his thoughts, diagrams, charts and billeted lists filling the air like giant snowflakes. The rustle as they settled, almost-rainfall, was enough to bring him back to himself.

This was... Intense. Time was of the essence, and yet?
    There wasn't enough data. Pure and simple, there wasn't enough information to account for everything. They had screwed up. Bad.

Too many variables. The motion of the asset. The motion of the scanner. Luna, even that the gyroscopes were each oriented along a concentricly inclined axis! Was the asset moving? Was Schema? Which way? Could she account for her...

Fetlocks fly as Gerry's good impacts his face. Twice. Thrice. Once more for--

"What was that? You're breaking up. Over."

He grimaces at his communicator horseshoe. Ah well. "Nothinf. Hey, you hold on for just a moment. I think I've got an idea." grabbing few stray pages and a fresh pencil, he bolts towards the outskirts of Ponyville. With luck, he can catch the express train...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Coming from an add is as significant/meaningful/official etc as fanon though.
    This is apparently the source of our disagreement.

Fanon is when something isn't explained and we, as a collective, come up with a plausible explanation for it based off of logic and evidence as presented in the show. An advertisement, corporate announcement or other non-show official material is still providing official information about the show, albeit information that could be contradicted later.

If/when the advertisement is contradicted by the show itself, it is correct to disregard the add because the show itself is the primary source of its canon. In the absence of conflict, I see no reason to disregard the advertisement, however. It is providing us a piece of information that is not contradicted by any other source.

Actually, in this particular case with Cadance, you did mention the Faust quote that implies Luna and Celestia have no direct relatives, so the advertisement is somewhat contradicted and we can fall back on show canon to suggest to that whatever is meant by referring to Cadance as "niece" is the same thing that was meant by referring to Blueblood as "nephew." Even with this correction, the information that Cadance is a "niece" is not contradicted anywhere, we're just less sure of what "niece" means than we were before.

My general point here is that, in addressing any question, we should look at all the evidence available from all sources, decide on its relative weight, and make a decision. And I don't think that fanon has the same weight as an official announcement about something in the show.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-09 at 10:31 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a vast, vast gulf between Hero and Villain. But I'm not trying to convince him of anything.
    (But like with Bleakbane's threat, I find it hard to believe that one should allow Evil free-reign simply because it threatens to do much worse if you try to stop it.)

Besides, surely that's what you're for? To stop him once and for all if he ever goes Evil. Again.
    If you think that Boffinspark's little tantrum after being disavowed was him going evil, than your even more naive than I thought. Given the arsenal at his command, if the nutcase had really wanted to he could have done a lot more than knock a few holes in Canterlot (in case you've forgotten, Dive Bomb was the one who actually blew up Canterlot). Frankly, I'd be willing to bet that the only reason the professor even fired on Canterlot in the first place was he bother to check the coordinates of Silent Night's little tea party.

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I could stop him if he really went off the deep end. Granted, I might be able to take him down, but there's an even chance he'd just portal me out of the ship and use me as target practice. In the end, it's safer to let him remain Celestia's loyal little psychopath.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

Fillies and gentlecolts, the time has finally come. Ponies are officially serious business. We just made the pages of the Ultra Serious Business Geopolitical Finance Magazine, The Economist.

It's not an explicit reference, embedded in an article about arcane legal rules, but this is literally as far as The Economist's pop culture references ever go. The last internet culture reference was an XKCD quote in early February.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Sorry for slight blur, don't own a scanner). Page 63 of the September 8th issue.)

As one of my life goals is to be quoted, referenced or mentioned in the pages of The Economist, this feels disproportionately awesome to me.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-09 at 11:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Bugbear in the Playground

My general point here is that, in addressing any question, we should look at all the evidence available from all sources, decide on its relative weight, and make a decision. And I don't think that fanon has the same weight as an official announcement about something in the show.
    Personally, I think this "decide on its relative weight" is the crux of the issue. For myself, and apparently for Soras, the relative weight of anything but the show itself is pretty dang low. (For instance: in those cases where my own speculation conflicts with the map that showed up a while ago, I consider the map completely wrong.) Whereas you appear to be arguing that the relative weight of each individual point of information - each advertisement, each wiki page, each off-the-cuff quote by a voice actor - should be determined separately and individually, and in many cases higher than I'm willing to set it.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you think that Boffinspark's little tantrum after being disavowed was him going evil, than your even more naive than I thought. Given the arsenal at his command, if the nutcase had really wanted to he could have done a lot more than knock a few holes in Canterlot (in case you've forgotten, Dive Bomb was the one who actually blew up Canterlot). Frankly, I'd be willing to bet that the only reason the professor even fired on Canterlot in the first place was he bother to check the coordinates of Silent Night's little tea party.

And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I could stop him if he really went off the deep end. Granted, I might be able to take him down, but there's an even chance he'd just portal me out of the ship and use me as target practice. In the end, it's safer to let him remain Celestia's loyal little psychopath.
    I disavow any responsibility for the use of my explosives. If you recall correctly, I had them innocently stashed away until the nasty unicorns meddled with them.

As for Cadence, I believe that word of Hasbro trumps Word of God, especially when God hasn't worked there for a season. Of course, Canon trumps all.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Fillies and gentlecolts, the time has finally come. Ponies are officially serious business. We just made the pages of the Ultra Serious Business Geopolitical Finance Magazine, The Economist.

It's not an explicit reference, embedded in an article about arcane legal rules, but this is literally as far as The Economist's pop culture references ever go. The last internet culture reference was an XKCD quote in early February.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Sorry for slight blur, don't own a scanner). Page 63 of the September 8th issue.)

As one of my life goals is to be quoted, referenced or mentioned in the pages of The Economist, this feels disproportionately awesome to me.
    Ah, now I feel bad that I cancelled my subscription to them. We got an entire article title!

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Personally, I think this "decide on its relative weight" is the crux of the issue. For myself, and apparently for Soras, the relative weight of anything but the show itself is pretty dang low. (For instance: in those cases where my own speculation conflicts with the map that showed up a while ago, I consider the map completely wrong.) Whereas you appear to be arguing that the relative weight of each individual point of information - each advertisement, each wiki page, each off-the-cuff quote by a voice actor - should be determined separately and individually, and in many cases higher than I'm willing to set it.
    Here's my distinction. As I said to Soras, he's free to discount anything he wants in his personal views, and you, similarly, are free to discount the map if you don't like it. But Soras also said
    Speculation is to be treated with no mercy and probably routinely ground to mush just on principle
    So, are you saying that anypony who uses that map at all is wrong and should have the notion that the map could be accurate beaten out of them? That's what I'm arguing against.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Oracle's Cutie Mark?
    Gah, we've been over this. I'm not a pony. I'm a non-pony character whose non-ponyness makes all the actual ponies look even ponier by compari-

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Taimat's seven heads would be my bet.
    -And what does Tiamat have to do wi- oh. OH. That Oracle. Nevermind!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Sweet~!

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I disavow any responsibility for the use of my explosives. If you recall correctly, I had them innocently stashed away until the nasty unicorns meddled with them.

As for Cadence, I believe that word of Hasbro trumps Word of God, especially when God hasn't worked there for a season. Of course, Canon trumps all.
    And word of god is that word of god doesn't matter, so you should discount it anyway.

Here's my distinction. As I said to Soras, he's free to discount anything he wants in his personal views, and you, similarly, are free to discount the map if you don't like it. But Soras also said

So, are you saying that anypony who uses that map at all is wrong and should have the notion that the map could be accurate beaten out of them? That's what I'm arguing against.
    I'm with Anarion on this one. You may as well discount cadence herself from being canon. She was as much a corporate decision as the ad.

I will note that Thanqol was quite confused about that animation error where it looked like she had wings, so.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Ponycraft 2.

Need medical attention? Shy has you covered.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Sweetie Belle has the cutest smile here.

Actually, that's not Sweetie Belle, it's Moondancer from G1, G4ized as a filly.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

As for Bleakbane, he's, seriously, not a problem. His existence isn't a crime, and he hasn't really done anything evil, until the the whole assisted suicide thing. If a demonically powered megalomaniac comes here to cool his jets and enjoy ponies, who are we to trow his race in his face? Isn't that a little bit tacky?
    Not actively a problem, and certainly no worse being here than anywhere, but at the end of the day the Army of the Red Spear is a space faring army of undead megalomaniacs, led by someone eviler and more maniacal even than Bleakbane who is a creature that regularly enjoys Puppy and Kitten smoothies, (Purely one imagines for the evulz, because otherwise it's just a meat-shake and that doesn't sound very refreshing). I seriously doubt that his secret plans are going to be benevolant ones, and I think it's only fair to acknoledge this. It's not like it's a secret.

Though, if the leader of the AOTRS (Lord Death Despair wasn't it?) secret plans turn out to be to usher in an era of love, tolerance and fluffy goodness across the entire galaxy, that would be hilarious to watch happen.

Regeln - Babysitter. Got it.