Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: One quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I don't see why it would do that, personally.
    If the young dragon was alive when V killed his mother, it would have been probable he would return with a vengeance one day, so the Familicide would be relatively rational precaution. But with him being dead, V has no reason to worry about that and Familicide is done purely out of spite.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    If the young dragon was alive when V killed his mother, it would have been probable he would return with a vengeance one day, so the Familicide would be relatively rational precaution. But with him being dead, V has no reason to worry about that and Familicide is done purely out of spite.
    V likens the Familicide to casting "a Fireball into a crowded square". The presence of a single enemy in that crowded square does not make that a relatively rational precaution.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Personally, I just flat-out eliminate True Resurrection - if the players want to bring back somebody who Resurrection won't be enough for, then it's plot device time.
    I played for quite a while in Dark Sun setting and our DM wanted to reflect the fact that if we wanted to resurrect someone we had to retrieve his soul lost in the Gray (a sort of Plane that envelopes Athas and secluded it from other planes). In game terms my earth priest had to play a mini-solo adventure in the Gray when he tried to resurrect someone (even the raise dead spell). I generally had to find a keeper (seldom seen creatures that dwelt in the Gray) and usually bargain a precious or somewhat interesting object to claim the lost soul i was searching for.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Besides that, there's no question that Familicide was overkill given what we know from the Black Dragon itself. She notes that she wasn't willing to attack V, despite being given ample opportunity, until V had fired off most of that day's high-level spells, and trance-deprivation had ruined V's aim, and there was zero chance that help could come.

It's fair to say that this Black Dragon was a pretty powerful example of its kind, highly intelligent and with a very skilled grasp of magic alongside its own rather formidable physical strength. And it very carefully did not engage V until the odds were massively stacked in its favour. A less-powerful dragon, attacking when things were not so overwhelmingly against V winning, and when tOotS were nearby, would almost certainly not stand a chance of surviving the encounter. And that's IF another Black Dragon did care enough to actually come to avenge the death of the mother and son.

V was furious, drunk on power, and giving in to the temptation to sadistically crush an enemy with the most powerful spells available at the time. But there was no need for Familicide at all, if you think about it.
    Last edited by Tergon; 2012-09-09 at 10:22 PM.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Didnt it say somewhere in the comic that only PCs can be resurrected? Which is why Celia was so afraid to die? Because she could not be brought back?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by konradknox View Post
    Didnt it say somewhere in the comic that only PCs can be resurrected? Which is why Celia was so afraid to die? Because she could not be brought back?
    No, she couldn't be brought back because she's an Outsider (True Ressurection actually can, but it's not like they'd be able to find a 17+ level cleric to cast it for them).

Shy Guy avatar made by the awesome Death by DM

Join us today.

The Legend of Zelda WW: The Wind Waker is underway.

Previous Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    No, she couldn't be brought back because she's an Outsider (True Ressurection actually can, but it's not like they'd be able to find a 17+ level cleric to cast it for them).
    Exactly - note that the teleport-casting Wizard from Azure City was at least slated to get resurrected, though the invasion/Shojo's death may have kept it from actually happening, as well as the Oracle getting resurrected after being killed by Belkar.
    LGBTitP

I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    Exactly - note that the teleport-casting Wizard from Azure City was at least slated to get resurrected, though the invasion/Shojo's death may have kept it from actually happening, as well as the Oracle getting resurrected after being killed by Belkar.
    Actually, the Oracle was just raised - he said it's next time he'll need a resurrection.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, the Oracle was just raised - he said it's next time he'll need a resurrection.
    Raised, then. I wasn't meaning the particular spell, more the act of going from dead to living again without becoming undead.
    LGBTitP

I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.