New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Indicating in the general direction of the others Ben says, "This is not so much an attempt to approach you mob-handed as much as taking some sensible precautions; we're new in town and have caused a bit of a stir, what with killing Old Claws and having the Giant with us, so I thought it best not to wander off alone. Plus the last member of our party who did so had a nasty experience of his own so we are all a little more wary. In my experience, a man who fails to make adequate plans and preparation is often a man who dos not get a chance to learn from that mistake.

You are right that we seek passage North, a discrete trip to avoid any complications on the journey; we seek not to avoid official confrontation but more any confrontation from the giant slavers we have heard stories of. We set forth from Old Alk to investigate the rumours of trouble and to determine the cause of the loss of contact from those islands.

As I undstand it, things have been quite quiet for you and your contempories in that region recently also; perhaps you also have an interest in discovering what is going on?

We can pay for our passage, but as I said we are looking for speedy, discrete transport, with a pre-arranged return journey for preference.

Is this something you feel you can help us with?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy checks:
    (1d20+7)[20]
    (1d20+7)[21]
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever is caught off guard by the welcome they receive, and the seeming need for secrecy. He quietly follows Ben down the stairs, keeping his mouth shut for the time being. Ever hopes Ben knows what he's doing, and indeed, his smooth-talking friend seems to be in his element.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ever is not Lawful-aligned; he can be convinced to break the law if it seems necessary. However, he is by nature a straightforward and honest chap, which combined with his lack of intellect results in a certain naïveté. It genuinely hadn't occurred to him that they could arrange transport on a ship seeking to circumvent the law.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru looks absently around, making only small talk with Kevst. It is clear he isn't concentrating at the situation at hand, and seems rather distracted, but Dreev picks up the slack, and prevents him from tripping over rocks or bumping into pillars every now and then.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

"I think that something can be arranged," he stops for a moment and lifts a bony arm to scratch his chin, "There's a small problem though. Maybe you could help us out with it?" He looks around and walks along a bridge until you're directly under the construction site of the new tower. It's very loud here with sawing and hammering above you and there isn't anyone else in sight. He leans very close to you so that you can hear his thin voice over the noise, "We have a...storage area...a few miles along the coast. A set of caves really, discretely placed away from the revenue patrols."

He waits for a reaction before continuing, "Well some of these giants have attacked and taken this little den of ours. My men have them penned in but we don't have the manpower to drive them out. If you help us maybe we could provide a discount for you on your trip north. What do you say?"
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275

BlackDragon

Ever's eyes widen. It's a dangerous prospect, but that's kind of what they were getting into with this whole mission in the first place. At the same time, their first goal is gathering information, and falling in combat is not a good way to send back information.

Nervously, the dim-witted ranger begins to speak. "I.. uh..." The pause, accompanied with a worried expression on his face, is just long enough that the others are ready to question him, before he manages to continue his thoughts. "I dunno if.. uh... whole group 'll agree.."

The impression Ever conveys could plausibly be interpreted in two ways: either Ever is not much of a thinker, or he's just very nervous. But his muscular frame and weathered skin counter the idea that there is no toughness to him.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"What sort of numbers are we talking about here; you seem to have plenty of resources here, will we five tip the balance? I'd hate for us to be facing large numbers of these Giants.

My friend here is correct, we will need to be in accordance but I spoke to the rest of our little band before we left and they are happy that anything that advances our cause is part of our cause. We need to gather information in the North, we need your transport, you need our help to make your resources available to us; I would say we have the beginnings of a deal.

I imagine that any action on our part will not be without its drain on our limited resources; I propose a maximum hack price for the return trip of 180 for the five of us and the horse, less any expenses we incur in this little foray? With a pre-arranged pick-up point and time; what say you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to represent the party (to Ever mostly) (1d20+7)[8]
    Diplomacy to negotiate price (1d20+7)[19]
    Sense motive for any come-back/counter-offer (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-11-12 at 08:16 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

7. - Top - End - #277

BlackDragon

Ever hears Ben claiming to have talked over the possibilities with the rest of the group, but he senses that it is a lie. The group hardly spent much time together, and Graorin in particular had been avoiding conversation as much as possible. Surely Ben hadn't anticipated getting them into needless conflict?

But was it needless? Now that the Ogre's Kiss had left, perhaps aiding these men was the only way to reach their destination any time soon.

Ever lets out a breath and stands with his mouth slightly open, but it doesn't appear that he is about to speak. He means to interrupt, but he's so slow to think things through that the conversation has moved on before he can say anything.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ben might be able to pick up on Ever's continuing apprehension, or he might not. At any rate, Ever is not yet convinced of the plan and will again voice his concern shortly.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

"Numbers?" the thin man scratches a hollow cheek and shrugs, "That's part of the problem, see. We found one of their giant row boats and looks like it could hold twenty giant men but we've only seen a half dozen defending the cave entrance. Might be they're taking shifts or might be there's only six of them"

"As for resources, " he pauses to sit down on a beam and motions you to do likewise, "most of our supplies are in the caves, anything you find there you can make use of but we want the bulk of it back. We're a small operation. It's better to be small and not attract too much attention than to grow too quickly. We can bring in the man power from our other bases or off the ships we have but that means cutting into our profit and risking our men. We'd rather risk you." He gives you a toothy grin that doesn't reach his eyes.

"What do you say to 250 for the return journey, all in? Weren't there six of you or aren't you counting your giant?" With that he stands, supporting himself on the seat. He seems to barely have the strength to lift his own limbs. "My name is Gem Saltfoot and I want this done tonight. Do we have a deal?"
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

BlackDragon

Ever turns to Ben and whispers, "When did you.. talk, everyone... Six Graorins?! For boat trip?"

He eyes Gem suspiciously. This doesn't seem right.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"My friend and I just need to discuss a few details, between us we have been trusted by our group to arrange passage; Ever here is in charge of ensuring the security of our journey, whilst I am responsible for the logistics." Turning to Ever, and shepherding him off to one side a little, he continues in a whisper, "I know it sounds like a lot to take on here Ever, but we need to get further North and these people are our only chance at it; you are right, I didn't speak to everyone this morning but sometimes we need to take small liberties with the facts to achieve our goals, not so much lie, merely present things in a more favourable light. I am sure our colleagues and friends will not object too strongly to me claiming to represent us all, the do know of the purpose of our visit today.

I accept, 6 giants does sound like a bit of a problem, but this doesn't necessarily have to end in violence perhaps we can bargain a way through this. Failing that, self-confidence, a little aggression and a high tolerance for mindless violence inflicted on others will see us through!"
    With this last comment Ben winks at Ever to let him know he understands the seriousness of the situation.

Pausing briefly in case Ever has any objections, Ben turns back to face Gem.

Spoiler
    Show
    Second post (or an edit) to follow.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

11. - Top - End - #281

BlackDragon

Ever gulps. This didn't seem like the best idea, but Ben said it was the only way. He didn't think everyone would agree, but then Athedru, Graorin, and Devka had only yesterday gone out hunting a giant crab on a whim. If there was a group of halflings (and a giant) to take on the giants, it would be this group of halflings (and a giant). Still...

"Maybe.." He pauses for a few moments, glancing at the thin smuggler a few paces away. "Cleanin' their den should be worth.. uh.. more'n boat rides. Why we fight.. and pay?"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Before turning to Gem, Ben replies to Ever, in a whisper, "My good friend, you make a very valid point; we need to get good value for our services, and any blood we may spill on the way. I shall make sure we do!"

Turning now to Gem, he continues, "Mr. Saltfoot, or shall I call you Gem. It seems to me that by ridding you of this infestation in your stores we would be doing you a valuable service that would otherwise cost you a great deal in time and money. In light of the numbers involved and the potential danger to our group I propose that when we successfully clear these giants from your cave that you give us safe passage to our destination in recompense. Every day that you are denied access to your stores is a day of both lost revenue and most probably lost or damaged goods. What say we set off for your cave this evening so that we may approach it in the dark to make our plans?"

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy vs Ever(1d20+7)[11]
    Diplomacy vs Gem(1d20+7)[18]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Sighing in resignation he holds out a bony hand, "You drive a hard bargain. Free transport to one of the Six Sisters for you and your friends it is. In exchange you'll clear out these giants from our little cave and let my operation resume its business. If you shake his hand he continues, "I'll have my man, Grobin, lead the way. Can you be ready in two hours?"
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284

BlackDragon

Ever just looks at Ben. Ben's taken charge of this situation, so now it's his call. Ever's expression is neutral; he's just observing his companion's response.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Directly to Gem, Ben says "I'll need a little more time to get the group together and make any last preparations, shall we say three hours back here or would the Dead Man's Rest be better?

We'll make sure that you can continue to use your stores and you'll provide us with transport to the Six Sisters and back.

We get to use anything we need from the stores to get the job done, but we'll keep it to a minimum. It's a deal!"

Ben spits on his palm and offers his hand to Gem to seal the deal.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

"Deal, three hours then. I'll have Grobin collect you from the inn. he shakes your hand with the feeblest grip you've ever had then wipes it on his cloak, "Give me a minute," he says as he starts slowly up the stairs.

The rest of you see the thin halfling reach the top of the stairs alone and walk off with the rough looking man. A minute or so later Young Ben and Ever follow.

You have several hours to grab some lunch, have a nap or do what ever else you like. Graorin no doubt returns to the Dead Man's Rest for some food and finds Athedru's gift. Around three in the afternoon the thug identified as Grobin shows up to collect you. He leads you in a direct path on low level bridges that are out fo the public eye towards the main gate. Once there he slips ahead, speaks to the gate guard briefly who takes this opportunity to take a break, and opens the gate.

You follow him over the sandy dunes, still wet despite it being low tide, for about ten minutes until you reach a couple of halflings guarding a line of a dozen donkeys. "This'll be quicker, " Grobin says indicating the donkeys. They're already saddled and have empty panniers and spare packs for those not being ridden. Grobin and the other two mount up and wait for you to do the same. One, who you pick up from conversation, is called Longeye the Barber. He toys with a set of daggers through the entire journey when he isn't looking out of his spyglass at the lands around you. The other one, called Milo, scowls at you all and spends only enough time talking to ask you how religious you are.

The few hours are spent taking a winding path across the island, clearly designed to make following them difficult and to confuse your own sense of direction. You reach more solid ground near the coast that leads up to a steep chalk rise. The men with you take the donkeys and tie them up.

Longeye the Barber then leads you up the hill about a half a mile until you reach a chalk cliff overlooking the sea. Below you can make out a secluded cove and a sandy beech with large row boat turned over in front of a cave entrance. A set of stairs a built into the side of the cliff leading down to the beech below. Ever spots two large hairy dogs lounging by the overturned boat, looking much like piles of dirty seaweed from the state of their coats. Longeye points to the other side of the beech and whispers, "That there's a bridge goin' to t'other entrance"
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

When Graorin returns to his room, the present left by Athedru brings an involuntary smile to his face. All right. He'll forgive his friend, for the sake of the years they've spent together. He'll just have to take him aside at some point and tell him not to get him almost killed again.

He rubs his side, where he can still feel some pain from the pincers. He winces.

------

He's considerably less enthused about the mission for which the halflings seem to have volunteered him. He grumbles a bit, but he finally relents for lack of any real way to get back to his home cave system and the desire not to stay on Bridge.

---

During the trip, Graorin refuses a donkey, but rather goes by foot, Val trotting along behind him. He does his best to figure out exactly where they're going and where they are in relation to the town.

Survival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[17]

While overlooking the cove, Graorin asks a question that's been bothering him. "What do the... giants... want with this den of yours, anyway?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Devka is thrilled with the prospect of fighting some of Graorins kind. If the size is anything of an indication they should be a worthy foe. Though he doesn't show his excitement at all, he just grunts his acceptance of the mission and gets up on the donkey.

When Milo asks how religious he is, Devka replies with a short, "enough."
    Then he follows on silently for the rest of the journey.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Happy that the rest of the party have accepted his agreement with Gem, if at least grudgingly, he double checks that his gear is suitably stowed before the meeting time and happily climbs on one of the donkeys for the trip.

Ben tries to concentrate on their route so that he may find his way back if required.
    Spoiler
    Show
    survival - (1d20+1)[15]

When asked about his beliefs, he merely replies, with a cheeky grin, "I'm firm in what I believe, I'm just not sure any of the gods agree with me I'm afraid!"

Aware that he is neither a brawny fighter nor a tactical genius, when the party arrives at the cliff-top Ben waits for someone else to take the lead, all the while trying to absorb as much information about the location as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    local knowledge (to "store" the info), it's intelligence based so it made sense to me - (1d20+3)[5]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

20. - Top - End - #290

BlackDragon

Ever keeps mostly quiet during the trip. Once again he feels more at ease in the wilderness, even if the prospect of a skirmish dampens his mood a little. He instinctively scans their surroundings and tries to maintain his sense of direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+4)[7]

When they reach the cliff, he points toward the boat and whispers to the others. "Careful, dogs'll mess up surprises." He turns to Longeye. "Seen them come out at all? Get water, food?"

He surveys the landscape around them as he listens, looking for any features of the terrain that might affect their proceedings. His eyes are those of a hunter, though this prey is quite new to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[6]
    Not sure if any of these would help for this purpose...
    Survival: (1d20+4)[11]
    Knowledge (geography): (1d20)[19] (a trained skill with INT penalty)
    EDIT: got my knowledges crossed! It's still a trained roll, but should be at -1, so make that an 18.
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-11-14 at 04:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

"Religious...uh, not really" Athedru told Milo, "Since I was young, I've been...uhh...rather frail. My family and friends provided me all the support I needed..." he finished, trailing off.

As if suddenly remembering something, Athedru runs up to Kevst. "Hey Kevst! I forgot to ask, but what were you doing at Graorin's trial? Did you take something cool?"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

On the trip to the cove Graorin and Young Ben are pretty sure that they could find the place again and Ever thinks that the geography here is limited to only a few places on the island, it should be easy enough to figure out there at.

--

Longeye grunts at your questions, "Dunno really. We wants 'em ta go now so we's left 'em alone f'r a bit. There's water 'n food inside, barrels o' th' stuff. Beer an' grog too bu' tha's fer sellin', no' fer drinkin'

Ever's hunter's eyes spot a bare foot at the edge of the boat. It looks as if someone is lying down underneath it. In addition it looks as if the stairs have been the scene of a recent fight. The wood is scored from recent cuts, there are broken slats and there's blood on part of it.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293

BlackDragon

"See that?" Ever points out what he sees to the rest if the group.

"Fight in group? Or something else?" He waits silently while the others react.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Hopefully this means there are either fewer of them, or that they are not all of one mind; each of these offers us some advantage.

We should avoid letting those dogs get our scents, is there a way around?"
    Record:

RAT POWER!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst chuckled quietly after Athedru's question, "He waited this long to ask me that? I guess it took him a few days to remember he has more friends here then the giant..."

Then answered, "I didn't get much, just some coin and a few daggers. But not bad for a day's work."
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

"Only that?" Athedru asked wonderingly, "But you've gotten away with stealing more before!"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Young Ben looks around for another way around. Other than the sea route and the wooden stair it may be possible to lower someone down on ropes or even to climb down from another point on the chalk cliffs. It is easy enough to walk around and have a look without being see from the cave entrance below.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin, having asked his question for the encounter and not really gotten a satisfactory result, frowns and waits patiently for somebody to decide to do something. He'd be happy to decide himself, but then it wasn't really his decision to be here, is it?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing he misunderstood his friend's question, Kevst says, "Oh, you mean how I got arrested? I would have gotten away with it just fine, but Ben was trying to scam the same mark, and screwed everything up..."

"Actually, the moment I got out of the court, while I was waiting for you to finish, I picked several pockets and even got some loot out of someone's house while everyone was distracted. Thankfully I didn't have a certain con artist around to foul things up."

Not wanting to sound too harsh on his new companion he added, "But Ben got us both out of the hands of the mayor, and now we're here with plenty of hot meals and a roof over my head, so it all worked out for the best."
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

30. - Top - End - #300

BlackDragon

Ever follows Ben around the top of the cliff, looking for alternate routes down.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+3)[14]
    Search: (1d20-2)[8]