New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Foreseeing a little light rain, Ever sets up his tent, half-open on the deck, to keep him and his gear dry.

"Little rain comin'.... won't be heavy," he says to no one in particular.

Then he takes the scroll case with the map of Shark's Luck, heads into his tent, pulls out a torch for light, and spreads the map across his blanket. He studies the map for a good while, trying to internalize the geography of the island, and its harbors.

When he's finished, he replaces the scroll in the case and returns it to the basket.
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-09-29 at 04:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst stood on the deck of the Ogre's Kiss as it pulled away from the harbor. He stood and looked back at Old Alk as it got smaller and smaller. His eyes looked out into the distance at the island slowly disappearing over the horizon, but his gaze was more distant yet. He stood there lost in thought considering the whirlwind day that brought him to this unfamiliar place.

It started as any other, curled up outside under the stairs of Old Man Hartho's place. As far as he knew that morning the day would unfold as every other had in recent years. Scrounge up some food, pick a few pockets, stay out of sight, keep out of trouble. If it was a good day maybe he'd head down to the shore and go swimming, maybe he'd catch a bit of music wafting outside the tavern. Not much of a life, but it was familiar. He knew when to expect the drunks stumbling out of the tavern, he knew when the market got the most crowded, he knew when Miss Duenna threw out the scraps at the Jolly Sailor. As much as he hated the people in Alkton, he knew them, knew their routines and knew how to survive around them. His life was far from comfortable, but it was his. He was in control and he was free.

But everything changed when that smooth-talker fouled up his mark. Suddenly he found himself in and out of the courthouse, in and out of the Jolly Sailor and now, of all places, on a ship looking at his home across a thousand feet of ocean. He was surrounded by people he didn't know, heading to some island he had never been to, hoping to accomplish some mission he hadn't the slightest idea about, and perhaps facing dangers he had never heard of before. He didn't know what to expect and he was afraid. The world was so big, and he was so small. Despite all the pain he went through on Old Alk he was suddenly feeling homesick.

Had he made the right decision? He didn't know. He really didn't. Kevst just stared out to sea.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-09-29 at 10:31 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

After enjoying the company of the crew for a day and a night most of you are ready to disembark and stretch your legs. You've made good time with the wind behind you and arrive at Bridge with the morning high tide.

It is obvious where Bridge gets its name as you approach the small island. It is relatively flat with a few tall trees growing on the sparse hills. There are houses built up on stilts above the shallow water beneath or on the sandy beaches of the higher land. A few structures are made from a dark stone, turned green with sea weed. Most of the buildings you see have ropes hanging in the water below, obviously crab or lobster traps from the few that are being repaired on people's porches.

The most striking feature though is the spider web of rope bridges that connect clusters of houses together. Folk are running along these wildly swaying paths carrying goods to market and there is a steady stream of people congregating by the dock area to the east of the island.

The captain gives instructions to the crew to pole for sand traps and steers the shallow cog into the hanging market where he ties her up. Bridges run overhead and sellers immediately start shouting for trade. Captain Rames holds his hands up for quiet, "I do have a contract already t' sell me goods," he yells, "But I do be buying live crab and lobster when me hold be empty. I have passengers lookin' t'go north t' the sisters too if there be any takers." He indicates the party with a wave of his hat.

The crew moves efficiently and starts to unload the wood and the crates of animals with winches and wooden cranes along the dockside. The captain jumps on the first crate being carried by a crane and hops down to pass some silver to a harbour master in a red vest. You've little choice but to keep out of the way until most of the work of unloading has been done. The captain returns and tells you that he'll be ready to depart in an hour if you've not had any luck finding another vessel.

Looking around the cog is the largest ship in the docks anyway, "Mayhap you'll try the Dead Man's Rest. It be a trader's bar on Tower Hill over thar and they may have news of ships comin' in the next few days."

"Do ye want me t'keep yer horse aboard fer the time bein', wee lad?" he grins up at Graorin, "I c'n have the beast put off afore we go if yer in luck."
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Whilst I am in no hurry to put myself in peril, I feel that our task will be best served by travelling by the most expeditious manner. I am happy to head on over to the Dead Man's rest to seek passage to the Sisters; if any of you are keen to accompany me I would welcome the support in this strange town, but if you have personal business to attend to, or perhaps feel like doing a little investigation of the general situation, then perhaps splitting up might be a better option?

In any event, I shall return here in three quarter-hours to allow a decision to be made and the correct ship to be boarded!"

Ben looks for a nice, stable crate being readied for hoisting and climbs up on to it (now is not the time for fancy acrobatics) for the ride to the shore, however as soon as it starts to move he loses his nerve and signals for the crew to let him dismount. He then takes the slower route off the gangplank!

He asks the Captain to point again in the direction of the bar. Turning, and pausing briefly, to see if anyone intends to follow him and heads off, stopping once to confirm the directions with a local to ensure he can find his way back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Balance check for riding the crate on the crane (1d20+4)[5]
    Gather Information check to get local directions (1d20+3)[18]
    Local Knowledge check to remember the directions for the way back (1d2+4)[6] or concentration if it is more appropriate (1d20+1)[12]

new roll for Local knowledge (rolling a D2 was never going to go well!)[roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-10-02 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Updated based on results of rolls

5. - Top - End - #125

BlackDragon

"Aye, I'll come."

Ever laughs a little as Ben first decides to ride the crate and then quickly changes his mind. He follows Ben down the gangplank and to the Dead Man's Rest. The island is fascinating to him. While the other islands are surrounded by water, Bridge seems to be built in the water itself.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As Ever catches up with Ben on the docks, Ben is suddenly glad to have a companion along, You never know when you might need someone to watch your back he thought.

Following the directions the Captain gave, Ben found the bridge system to be pretty intuitive, if not initially obvious, and they soon found their way to the inn.

Before heading inside, he says to Ever,"Let's just spend a few moments in preparation; why don't you take a quick walk round the outside whilst I watch the front? We don't want to find ourselves caught in a jar if something goes awry."
    Ben finds an unobtrusive vantage point and quietly observes the building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    hide check to blend in with the surroundings (1d20+8)[11]
    Spot check and listen check respectively: (1d20+1)[7], (1d20+3)[22]
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2012-10-02 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typos!

7. - Top - End - #127

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: also subject to there being no change in plans.

At Little Ben's request, Ever is slightly puzzled. "Uh.. awry?" He's slightly suspicious of what Ben might be up to, but after a few words of assurance, he takes a walk around the tavern and looks for anything suspicious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently (take 10): 18
    Hide (take 10): 20
    Listen: (1d20+4)[7]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[19]
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-10-21 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Val will come with me," Graorin answers the captain. Upon disembarking, he says to Athedru, "I'm not in the mood for another session of people gawking at me. I'm headed inland to be by myself for a couple of hours."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you want me to come with you? It'll be a good time to-" The raven quickly pecked at Athedru's ear, who quickly went quiet before he could reveal the raven's secret by accident. Graorin would know that the raven could speak of course, but others might not take too kindly to a talking raven.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"If you like," Graorin says simply.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the other memebers of the part going off to do their own thing, Devka decideds to try and be helpful too. He rolls up his bed roll and checks his great axe for an damage. once he is satisfied he then proceds of the ship to have a look around and keep an open ear for any interesting rumours

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[6]
    Listen (1d20+8)[13]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

The Dead Man's Rest

Ben and Ever scout out the Dead Man's Rest. By all appearances it is a busy tavern on two stories balanced on stilts on top of a rocky outcrop. Rope bridges run off in five directions across both floors and the open rooftop and a wide scaffold, serving as a road, surrounds it. While you're watching a man arrives with a wheelbarrow full of crabs which he trades with a red faced man in an apron who takes the food back inside. A number of people are sitting at open windows, eating, drinking and smoking pipes. There is a steady stream of people coming and going, more than seems likely for people just eating and drinking.

There doesn't seem to be any danger here even though a tall halfling with a broken nose walks around the "road" and up and down the staircases between levels. He's carrying a quarterstaff and dressed in studded leather. While you watch he stops briefly to chat to the man in the apron you saw earlier and then resumes his patrol.

A delicious smell wafts over to you from the tavern, a combination of roasted hops and buttered crab that makes your mouth water. Seeing nothing untoward you or your companions walk across one of the swaying bridges and enter the main bar area.

There are a number of round tables in the place, most are taken already and at one end of the bar are two large rectangular desks. Seated at them are two clerks with piles of paper, pots of ink and large wooden stamps, each one flanked by two guards in the same studded leather as the man patrolling the perimeter. There are two queues in front of each desk. They are merchants and tradesmen for the most part. You see the mate from the Ogre's Kiss at the front of the queue with his writing desk box. Some kind of merchant or shipping transaction seems to be taking place with the clerks acting as notaries.

Bridge

Devka wanders around Bridge, making his way round the market and keeping an ear out. Most of the talk is about the Ogre's Kiss and the giant on his giant horse and you hear slightly distorted versions of the events in Old Alk repeated back to you. Other news stems from the attacks on the Six Sisters and beyond by the giants and rumour has it that Shark's Luck is overrun with the monsters.

One rumour about Bridge does reach you and that is news of Old Claws. Apparently this fearsome creature has been the terror of the island for years, attacking pig farmers, foresters and their homes inland. Nobody really knows where Old Claws lives or even if it is one of a kind. Patrols never seem to find it and it rarely attacks the same place twice.

The Island

Graorin and Athedru are followed by a curious crowd as far as the edge of Bridge. Getting around with a horse is difficult but not impossible as several sturdy bridge ways have been made for donkeys and carts. The town itself ends rather abruptly rather than thins out at the edges as you'd expect. It seems that the town has definite limits inland marked by an old wooden palisade.

You rouse a sleepy gate keeper to let you out and in the middle of complaining he warns you, "Watch out for Old Claws if you plan on crossing the island. Biggest crab you ever did see, bigger'n you." He also tells you to avoid the darker pools in the shallows as they indicate deep holes obscured by water.

Once outside you ride through the shallow water. It's a few inches deep between the low sandy hills and rocky outcrops. Sure enough you spot a few dark pools between these hills that could have been easy to fall into. Within half an hour you reach slightly higher ground and stop to dry off your horse's legs and rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you both make a spot check please.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dreev, I think you can talk now..." Athedru said cautiously, seeing no stranger in sight.

The raven nodded, and looked at Graorin.

"Ahh, my poor, dry beak. Graorin, mind not the words of the ignorant or the foolish...the minds of many are sheep for the experience of the bitter, and halfings in particular prefer to believe in monsters where there are none." it said, ignoring the look of charign on Athedru's face.

"Anger suits not folk like you, and dwelling in the shadows cast by others makes you a lesser mortal...or as we say in the realm of the ravens, carrion of the weak."

"...yeah! Cheer up! We feel upset when you do..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:

Athedru: [roll0]
    Dreev: [roll1]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...oops.

Spot:

Athedru: (1d20+1)[5]
    Dreev: (1d20+7)[14]

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

The Dead Man's Rest

Ever surveys the bar, slightly taken aback at the combination of facilities that the Dead Man's Rest seems to be. He starts towards the bar for a moment, then stops and turns toward Little Ben. Ben had seemed to have some kind of plan, and Ever was unsure whether he should proceed as normal or wait for Ben's lead. He looks at him awkwardly for a moment, before speaking.

"Well?..." The word comes out a little more gruffly than Ever means it, but Ever was never one with the patience for complicated schemes. His instinct is to be straightforward and just ask about boats.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't clear to me if there was an actual bar in the bar or not, so if not, he'll just be heading towards an empty table.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben hangs back a step as he and Ever enter the premises, happy to watch the response of the crowd to Ever's presence. When Ever turns to him he replies (slightly, but deliberately, loudly so as to be easily overheard),"You grab a couple of drinks, I'll see if I can locate our contact."

He makes a deliberate show of trying to subtly look around the room as if he were a simple man up to something slightly shady and trying to be clever about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff to pull off the simple man routine - (1d20+7)[15]
    Listen check to try to hear what is being said around him - (1d20+3)[23]
    spot check to find anyone obviously looking for passengers with no questions asked - (1d20+1)[4]
    sense motive to identify any such individuals in the crowd - (1d20+3)[7]

17. - Top - End - #137

BlackDragon

Ever is slightly confused by the bit about the contact, as he doesn't remember the ship's captain telling them about anyone in particular. However, just as he's about to ask Ben what he means, it occurs to him that Ben has a plan in place. Ever just nods at Ben, turns around, and finds a seat. When he can get someone's attention, he asks for a couple mugs of ale, placing a piece of hacksilver onto the counter.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben was initially worried that Ever had misunderstood his intentions, but then it became obvious that he realised that Ben had a plan.

All I need to do now is find us a ship's captain going the right way and convince him to carry us at the expense of the Mayor of Old Alk!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

The Dead Man's Rest

There is a small bar at the far end of the common room but men and women in aprons are busy carry trays of food and drink from it or returning with empties. The tavern seems to operate a waitress service. Almost as soon as you find a table a young lady in one of the staff aprons approaches to take Ever's order.

A buxom woman in a frilly gown puts her arm around Ben's shoulders, "You look lost, squire. Looking for anyone in particular?" You hear someone nearby snigger.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Seeing that his ruse has worked (at least a little) Ben continues with it.

He turns to his new companion and whispers (straight faced), "You seem like a discrete woman who knows her way around the town," he looks around furtively before continuing with a shy smile"I find myself in need of a fast vessel to move a cargo to the Six Sisters without attracting any official attention, I assumed I could find such a vessel here perhaps you know of someone who might help? I'm kinda new to all this!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Another bluff check to continue the act - (1d20+7)[15]
    Diplomacy for the smile - (1d20+7)[20]
    Sense motive to make sure I understand her response (1d20+3)[16]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

She gives you a suggestive wink, "I know exactly what you need, follow me," and sways over to the spiral stair case going up, "Better bring your little friend too, the more the merrier." A chorus of bawdy laughter follows you up the stairs but once she's got you in a room she quickly drops the act.

"I can arrange discrete passage. It's a bit more expensive but a lot faster and no questions asked. A friend of a friend you understand. Just a way to avoid paying duty on a few goods, nothing really criminal about it," emphasis on the word criminal, "How do I know we can trust you though?"
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Upon hearing about old claws, Devka decides that it might be a worthy use of his time to find out more about it. He starts to ask around about this old claws. "Where was it spotted most recently? Does it seem to appear in one place more than others? Is there anyone who has seen it and lived to tell the tale? Is there anybody who's fought it and survived? Where could these people be found? Does it seem afraid of anything?"
    He mightn't spend long enough here to deal with it. But it's better than doing nothing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information (1d20)[15]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Old Claws is something of a local legend, a monstrous crab ten feet tall who lives on the other side of the island. "Why do you think we've got that wooden wall around the town if not to protect us from the monster?" Nobody is entirely sure if Old Claws is one beast or if there are several but only one has been seen at a time. Heroes have occasionally gone out to hunt it down but nobody has managed to kill it. Apparently a few years ago it killed some children who were exploring the island, "An' we got together a posse of hunters to drive it out wi' fire. Worked an' all. For a little while anyways."

While you're chatting about it in the market a gruff old guard pipes up, "You're one who came in on Cap'n Rames ugly old cog, ain't ye? Wi' the giant and his magic horse? Saw 'em head out earlier, that scrawny fella wi' th' crow too. Gone t'hunt Old Claws himself they said. Least ways they was loaded with weapons for a hunt."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Devka thinks to himself, leave me out of a battle, would ya? to the guard he says, "thank you kindly for your help, which way did they go?"
    After getting his answer he then he storms off after the giant and his buddy to join the hunt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he doesn't get an answer he will look for a likely gate and go through that one

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst was impressed with the network of rope bridges on the island, he was thinking about going out and 'exploring' the islands varied bridges, houses, pockets and bags while he was here, but noticed that all his companions had things to do and places to go. Soon, everyone was gone and he was left back at the ship.

"Well," he thought, "Someone needs to hang back and watch all the loot we got before they left. Wouldn't want to have someone walk off with it, or have the Ogre's Kiss leave with all our stuff still on board."

Kevst hung back and watched the crew as they unloaded the ship, ever aware of where each of them were in relation to the group's pile of goodies.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-10-09 at 05:11 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

The Island

Dreev taps Athedru with his beak, "We appear to have been pursued," he indicates a group of four spear carrying men walking on short stilts some distance behind you.

Bridge

Devka heads across town, taking a low bridge to the main gate. A grumbling old gate keeper is practising with his quarterstaff and doesn't look pleased to see you, "You wanna go out en'all? Busy day for it. Gates normally closed but that giant went out earlier, then a group o' 'hunters, now you. You all going to hunt down Old Claws, eh?"

--

Kevst guards their mostly empty baskets until the mate returns to the ship, "We've be setting sail soon. You stayin' or goin'?", he says. All around the crew are loading up with crab and lobster cages and you get the impression that you're in the way.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

"Graorin, should we hide?" Athedru said nervously as he draws his crossbow and pulls back the string, his fingers shaking lightly.

"I might be able to provide a distraction, but it'll be a dangerous manuver." Dreev said quietly, flapping its wings in preperation of flying.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-10 at 03:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

The Dead Man's Rest

Seeing a kindred spirit in his contact, Ben decides that, for once, honesty may be the best policy.
    "My good lady, let's both drop our acts; I have no way of proving to you that I am not in law enforcement and you have no way of demonstrating that you won't just slit my throat and throw me overboard as soon as the boat leaves the island. I am willing to be frank with you, we have been sent by the Mayor of Old Alk to investigate the tales of Giants coming from Islands in the North. We were given passage on a cog this far but their route is a long one and will not get us to our destination for many more days. I came here to find a fast ship, and I have always found that, shall we call your friends entrepreneurs, often have the fastest vessels and may stand a chance of dropping us off without bumping in to any Giants along the way.

Our original vessel departs in about 30 minutes so any arrangements will need to be made promptly; our little group was formed from those who happened to be in the wrong place at the right time and so we are doing what we can to help all of our little society.

If we were able to arrange swift passage for our group, 7 small-folk, a giant and his horse, we would be able to provide adequate compensation; especially if a return journey could also be secured.

My colleagues are likely to take my suggestion as the appropriate actions, but I need to return to them with that suggestion soon.

If your friends are unable to help us then you will have to excuse me as I need to continue my enquiries downstairs."

Spoiler
    Show
    Having dropped the pretence, it had better be a diplomacy check (1d20+7)[23]
    And then, as I need to get a feel for her responses a sense motive check (1d20+3)[6]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spot checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Graorin: (1d20+3)[18]
    Valerius: (1d20+4)[15]

(under the assumption that since we both beat the bird's roll...)

Both Graorin and Valerius turn, having noticed their pursuers as well. Graorin curses quietly; once again, the spells he prepared that morning ("I'm on a boat!") are woefully inappropriate for his needs. This is starting to become a pattern. What he wouldn't give to Pass Without Trace right now...

He silently prepares to spontaneously Summon Nature's Ally in case of trouble, and says to Athedru, "Yes."
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2012-10-10 at 09:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Stay here, Val," Graorin whispers, and heads into the underbrush. Not too far away - he still wants to cast that spell and be available himself in case they try to take or kill his horse. He pulls out his scimitar (though he's been practicing with that oddly light quarterstaff, he doesn't yet trust himself to use it in a fight) and hides as best he can.

Hide (for which roll I needed to split my action into two posts):
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14]