New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Athedru nods, and quickly follows Graorin into the underbush, Dreev taking off high into the sky, out of the range of arrows, fly way above the spear-men, using its shadow to alert them to its presence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+7)[21]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Dead Man's Rest

Having ordered the drinks, Ever exchanges pleasantries with the young lady who serves him, only sparing a glance or two towards Little Ben. When the drinks have come, he turns towards his companion, only to see that he's no longer in the room.

Ever has no idea what Little Ben is up to, but for his part he wants to learn what he can. Ever turns to some of the people at a nearby table, trying to choose people who don't seem to be talking privately. He inquires, "What news from the Sisters? Hear tell o' bad trouble. What's the latest?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information (if appropriate): (1d20)[18]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Once out of the gate, Devka surveys his surrondings. He drops to one knee and looks for any trace of the giant, he figures he must be easy to spot, his tracks would be unlike anybody elses. Even Devka, being untrained as he is, should have a shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+6)[8]
    I'm hoping it's a low DC, i don't have track so i can't get anything higher than 10, if he doesn't find any tracks he will pick a likely direction and go that way

He picks himself up and dusts himself off. Then he moves out, keeping a watchful eye and a sharp eye on alert at all times.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (1d20+8)[21]
    Spot (1d20+2)[13]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

The Dead Man's Rest

"Fine, but you're taking all the fun out of earning my trust," she pouts and then offers a saucy smirk, "Look, there's no fast ships in dock at the moment but in three days there'll be a, shall we say, quiet delivery of rum and brandy to a slightly less than legitimate location bit far from Bridge. A fast ship with a captain who'd rather avoid the revenue collector, if you know what I mean." Seeing that her meaning is plain she continues, "I can make the necessary introductions, for a negotiable fee, say fifty gold bands and I'll see if I can get you fifty gold per head on a fast ship?"

Downstairs in the bar Ever spends a pleasant few moments chatting to the serving maid, "Oh it's terrible from what I hear," she says, "Raids from giants, people carried off an all sorts. Westlyn was attacked two weeks ago or so a trader said to me the other day. I heard tell that them giants have been taking ships too. Four have gone missing this month and it ain't cause of the weather as the weather's been fine.

The Island

The four spear men are walking on stilts to keep out of the water and keeping an eye on the hoof prints. Occasionally they look in your direction, shielding their eyes from the sun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20)[15]

It looks like they've spotted you but their notice is taken by the shadow of the raven overhead. They take off towards some low hills and attempt to hide, an effort completely wasted from your point of view as you watch exactly where they secret themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide check [roll]1d20+4[/roll]]

About a mile away Devka has no trouble following the deep hoof prints and the four sets of stilt prints that head west. It's messy going for him as he finds himself between knee and waste deep in low seawater.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could Devka make a spot check please.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-10 at 06:35 PM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Try again
    Spoiler
    Show
    Halfling spear men Hide check (1d20+4)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Believe me, if I had the luxury of time we could have worked on our relationship to our hearts' content. I'll need to find my friends and suggest this plan; I'll return here with our decision. If we have three days, perhaps we'll find that time to get to know each other a little before I leave."

With an overly formal bow, followed by a cheeky wink, Ben turns to return downstairs.

When he returns to the bar, he sees Ever in conversation (somehow, even after such a little time of knowing him, he can't think of Ever as "chatting") with a comely barmaid.

Waiting for them to finish, he sits sups from his drink and says; "well that's a tale to tell the others back at the docks! We'd better be going."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Upon seeing the spearmen hide, Graorin frowns. He doesn't really understand what's going on here, but...

After a minute or two of silence and no movement in the area, Graorin begins moving, as slowly and quietly as he can, in the exact opposite direction of his pursuers. He keeps careful watch and gets ready to stop and/or run for it if they seem to spot him and/or move. Meanwhile, Val remains in place as per Graorin's last order to him.

Move silently:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[20]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Breathing a sigh of relief, Athedru tried to follow Graorin, only to grimace as he felt his robes catch in the dry twigs of the underbush.

With a desperate tug, the robes rip free, and the halfling quickly scampers over to Graorin as he felt the raven stare at him disapprovingly from high above.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+5)[10]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst looks over to the mate who asked whether they were staying on the ship or not.

"Uhhh, I don't know..." Kevst looks around the docks frantically for any sign of his missing associates. "Everyone seems to be gone.."

"Figures," he thought, "I get roped into this crazy adventure and sail away to some strange island I've never seen before and everyone I was with just ditches me. I should have known better then to trust others... *sigh* Now what?"

His worry quickly faded as he considered the predicament from another angle.

"Well... if everyone is gone and all the gold and items are left here with me... I guess this isn't so bad after all. I can take this loot and go anywhere I want."

"I think we'll be staying here," Kevst says to the crew member.

Reconsidering for a moment, Kevst says, "Wait, what are the next stops for the Ogre's Kiss?"

Perhaps the ship will take him someplace better then this island.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-10-11 at 12:13 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Devka turns his head, thinking he saw something glinting in the corner of his eye
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[10]

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

"Yep, best be gettin' back. Uh.. thank ya, tha's good to know." Ever smiles at the barmaid and breaks her another piece of hacksilver.

He begins to head out with Little Ben, his mind focused on the task at hand. "So.. Any faster boats?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As he and Ever leave the Dead Man's Rest, Ben keeps quiet until they are out of obvious earshot. Once on the path back to the docks he says,
    "We have the option of a boat that leaves in three days and will take us straight there, quickly and quietly, and may even bring us back again afterwards; just right for a quiet reconnaissance. It'll cost us 50 per head, not cheap but I am sure the Mayor's pockets are deep enough. I think it's our best option, and it gives us time to plan and try to find out a little more about what we might be facing out there. We just need to gather the others and set ourselves up somewhere for the next couple of days."

Heading back to the dock by a slightly different route to the way they arrived, and checking for followers along the way, Ben and Ever arrive back just in time to see the crew making final preparations for the next step of their journey.

"Kevst, off you hop with those baskets my friend; it looks like we're going to spend a couple of days in Bridge after all. Have you seen the others?"

Spoiler
    Show
    based on the success of Ben's navigation there I haven't rolled for the way back.
    Spot check for any tail [roll]1d20+1

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

The mate didn't know all the stops off hand, and started to leave to ask another crewmember. Just then Ever and Young Ben showed up. While it would have been nice to walk off with all this stuff, Kevst was actually glad to see the smooth talking con artist and the dimwitted ranger.

"Nevermind," Kevst shouted out to the mate, "I'll be getting off here."

Then, to Ben, "You're just in time, the ship almost left." He picks up the baskets and makes his way down to the gangplank. "I have no idea where the others took off to. So you found a ship?"
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-10-11 at 04:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

The Dock

One of the crew hears Kevst comment and leans over to him, "I saw the giant head to the gate about an hour ago an' another one was heading over to the market up there." He points to the bustling market on the bridges and platforms above you, "May you have good tides." he says with a smile as you leave the Ogre's Kiss.

The Island

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check (1d20+3)[8]

The two of you begin moving away from the halflings who aren't moving. As you slide behind one of the low rises you see the crusty shell of an enormous crab moving in your direction. It isn't moving quickly and keeps stopping to look around it and wave an oversized claw up at the circling raven. It is some distance off but if it keeps heading towards you at the rate it's going it will reach you in ten minutes or so.

Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-12 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Typo
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"If they've headed out, they must come back the same way eventually. What say we head out the same way? We will either catch them up or bump in to them on their way back."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"Graorin, what do we do?" Athedru asked, with a tint of desperate fear in his voice, his crossbow wavering as it points at its soft underbelly.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin shushes Athedru. "Get Dreev out of the way," he whispers calmly. For the first time in three days he feels comfortable - he's in his element again, in the forest, facing beast rather than man, and, most importantly, he has the right spell.

Knowledge (nature) check to see if, despite its size, anything about this crab might make casting Calm Animals anything but routine:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[16]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The land is not so much forest as sandy hills with the occasional tree on surrounded by shallow sea water.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi235&258 View Post
    Knowledge (nature) check to see if, despite its size, anything about this crab might make casting Calm Animals anything but routine:
    Nothing would indicate that it is anything more than a giant version of a normal animal. It may be considered a dire animal and receive a saving throw or it may exceed the 2d4+1 Hit Dice that you can affect. Well, if you roll badly.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169

BlackDragon

At first Ever isn't sure about going out after the others. "Might take different path.. Uh.. Why not wait here? They be comin' back.." He's clearly unsure, but everyone knew the boat would be leaving soon. They knew they might need to leave with it, so they should be back soon.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben is surprised by Ever's view, expecting him to prefer action over inaction; "The Kiss is almost ready to depart and they are nowhere in sight; we don't need to continue with the Kiss and so we can let it depart without us. I suggest we set off after our companions, and leave word for them here in case they return before we do; we have a good idea which way they went. Of course our other option is to find us all some suitable lodging for the next couple of nights and round up a hearty meal and some good ale for when they return."

Ben's life runs on feeling like he knows the necessary information, pro-active decisions and formulating plans to work the angles; he could easily settle here with the obviously more developed "not-quite-lawful" community that he seems to have already made contact with.
    Maybe I'll look at settling here. I can make some enquiries in the coming days and on the way back for when all this is over. he thinks to himself.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmmm, maybe they just got held up. Did anyone catch where they were going or why? I'm sure they'll turn up. But who knows, with these strange rope bridges everywhere it is possible they got lost. We should give them a bit more time before we start to get worried." The idea of worrying about anyone besides himself was rather foreign to Kevst, but he played along.

22. - Top - End - #172

BlackDragon

Ever stood for several moments, the expression on his face clearly declaring that he was thinking. Thinking hard.

The others... could be lost.. could need help, but... running circles, looking for each other... Right, leave word here... but need a plan, need... a... uh... need a meeting place... and place to stay... and...

"Uh... Well, we could... we could leave word here. Say to meet at Dead Man's Rest... at dusk?" He looks to the others, his eyes saying something along the lines of 'or whenever works best.' "Go look for 'em... no luck, then head to town... find place to stay, make plans..." Ever trails off, unsure what to add, or whether he's forgotten anything. Yes, now that he's spoken it aloud, everything seems to make sense. That's what they should do.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Ever, my friend, already I know you as a man of few words, but the words you do speak are usually very wise and worth listening to. If I may interpret them, we can leave word here with the harbourmaster for the rest of our band and head off to find them. I am sure we can find bed spaces and food at the Dead man's Rest as you suggest, but we can address that when we get there."

Striking a subtly more dramatic pose Ben continues,
    "What say you gentlemen, shall we set forth to discover the fates of our companions? If you would be so kind as to lead the way friend Ever? Kevst would you prefer the middle or the back of the group as your place for now?"
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

24. - Top - End - #174

BlackDragon

"Aye, tell the harbor master, then." After they have left word, Ever sets off in the direction Graorin and Athedru took.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (tracking, whenever it becomes necessary): (1d20+4)[18]

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If Kevst speaks up to keep the group here, I can change my post.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst nods at the words of Ever and Ben. "Uhh, in the back I suppose." He doesn't have much to say, so with a shrug he starts following Ever.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Allowing Ever space to follow any ground sign, and knowing that he is comfortable in his own company, Ben walks alongside Kevst and attempts to strike up a friendly conversation to pass the time.

"What with our time in court, preparing for the trip and the close confines of the voyage here I haven't had much of a chance to talk to you about our bumping in to each other in Alk. From what i saw before the guards lifted us, you have some pretty slick moves when moving through the crowd; how long have you been doing what you do?"
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Not prepared to have Ben ask him about himself, Kevst sputters out, "I, uh, I guess its been a few years. I just do what I have to to get by."
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2012-10-14 at 06:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Satisfied that the animal isn't anything other than a normal animal, and only slightly nervous at the fact that he's never done this to anything this size before, Graorin prepares to cast the spell the moment the crab is both in range and apparently hostile.

He doesn't know why he thought he was in the forest. It must've just been a flashback.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Once outside the gate the tracks are fairly easy to follow. A horse carrying a load followed by four halflings wearing short stilts to help them walk through the shallows all heading west. One additional set of foot prints follow these.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

BlackDragon

Ever points out the strange tracks of the stilts to his companions. As they continue to follow the horse's tracks, he mentions that as well.

"These tracks... looks like they were followin' our friends. Another came after, on foot."

After he gestures to the tracks, Ever continues on without wavering in his pace.