New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

"this path doesn't seem to go anywhere, if they set off in a random direction to get out of town for a bit it seems odd that anyone should follow them. Ever, have you got a good feel for their tracks if we were to increase our pace? Perhaps we can stalk the stalkers and find out what they want with our friends! "

Ben tightens his backpack straps and hitches it a little to settle it on his back more comfortably ready to set off at a jog.
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

The crab keeps changing direction, taking a meandering route in your general direction. It doesn't seem to have noticed you in your hiding places or even to have noticed the horse standing out in the open.

--

In the distance Devka notices a tall horse standing by a bush.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever looks at Ben for a second. He hadn't thought about it, but as he examines the tracks, they're pretty clearly continuing in one direction. "Think so... aye, this way."

He continues in the same direction, but quickens his pace. He tries to keep an eye ahead as well, hoping to catch a glimpse of the makers of these tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (take 10): 14
    Spot: (1d20+3)[7]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben matches pace with Ever as he chases along the path following the tracks. He looks back to check that Kevst is keeping pace before returning his attention to the path.

As they move further from town he keeps his eyes sharp for signs of his friends or their passing this way.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot check: (1d20+1)[17]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst follows along.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

The spear carrying halflings move towards the giant crab, taking a wide path round and moving very slowly, stopping frequently to hide.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Devka, upon seeing the horse, heads towards it. now who do we know that has a big horse, the giant, that's who
    When he realizes that he can't see the giant or his funny little friend, Devka smells a metaphorical fish. He decides to take a more stealthy aproach to the situation and adopts a crouch before procceding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+8)[13]
    Move silently (1d20+6)[19]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

"What are they doing?" Athedru asks, as he aims his crossbow worriedly at one of the otherr halflings. Killing on of his own kin makes him shake with sweat...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Suddenly something seems to alert Old Claws, maybe the wind changed and it caught a scent of the horse, maybe one of its eye stalks just happened to note movement, whatever it was it starts to move at a shuffle directly towards the low sandy hill where the horse is standing. Devka just makes out the movement but it is obvious to everyone else.

Can I have initiative from Graorin, Athedru and Devka please.

Initiative Halflings (1d20+1)[15]
    Initiative Old Claws (1d20+1)[5]

Graorin and Athedru are in the west of the map, the halflings are south and east, Devka is to the far east and Old Claws is to the west. Each hex on the map is 5 feet.

Map in spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-18 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Put map in spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

"Should we run?" Athedru calls out to Graorin uneasily and he swings his crossbow between the pincer attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[18]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

The movement makes Devka uneasy and he pulls out one of his daggers, ready to throw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    INIT (1d20+4)[13]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[12]

As soon as Graorin sees Old Claws start moving - not towards him, but towards Val - he starts moving as well, interposing himself between crab and horse. He will cast the spell as soon as the crab is in range, no longer waiting for a sign of overt hostility because there already is one.

Athedru doesn't get a response from him - he's focused entirely on his quarry.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Glad to see that Ever is following the tracks as they move, Ben thinks through the contents of his backpack trying to remember where he packed each item so that he can quickly find anything he may need. He has often found this a useful mental exercise to keep his mind clear of other thoughts and allow him to feel better prepared to face whatever the day may hold.

Keeping his eyes and ears peeled for signs of his friends, or the group following them, all the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    concentration check (just in keeping with the idea of thinking about his equipment; if it is a poor roll I may RP the next stages differently)(Int may be better but the modifier is the same) DC12 (1d20+1)[21]
    spot check (1d20+1)[16]
    listen check (1d20+3)[5]
    Record:

RAT POWER!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

The moment Graorin stands up the giant crab's attention switches to him and it moves towards you jerkily. At the same time the halflings leap up from their hiding place and charge directly at Old Claws, waving their spears and splashing through the shallows noisly.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll maximum hit dice affected (2d4+1)[3] - Sorry!
    Will save against Calm Animals (1d20+3)[8] DC14

The giant crab seems completely unaffected by your attempt to calm it, perhaps it is simply too hungry to care. The noises made by the halflings do distract it though and it swings its massive claws in their direction before circling to try to keep them and you in its sight. It is 30 feet from you when you release your spell, probably too far to get to you in the next round but still very close.

What are Devka and Athedru doing? Everyone else is unfortunately too far away even to hear the sounds of combat.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-19 at 06:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin widens his eyes as the spell seems to do absolutely nothing. He blinks a few times, frozen in place by indecision and surprise, then grabs Athedru by the shoulder. "Let's move," he says, and breaks into a run to the northeast, giving a whistle to signal Val to come as well.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Devka breaks into a run. He sets his eyes on the big crab and keeps hold of his dagger. I'm not letting a blasted crab get it's hands on that horse, i like horses

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Athedru quickly nods, and sprints after the human, starting to feel the strain in his weak legs. Sweat begins to drip from pores on his skin, and his breathing starts to become heavy...

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Round 1 Summary

Old Claws starts by charging forward but skitters to a stop when it spots the halflings running towards it waving their spears. After a moments indecision it moves to keep both groups in sight. The halflings continue to move towards the crab's right while Graorin and Athedru move away to its left with Val obeying her master's summons. Across the shallows Devka is at a sprint racing forwards, weapons at the ready.

Round 2

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative order
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athedru [18]
    Halflings [15]
    Devka [13]
    Graorin [12]
    Old Claws [5]

As before just declare your actions and I'll sort out the order afterwards.

As Graorin and Athedru move away one of the spear men shouts across at you, "Hoy, where are you going? We came to help."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the other players want to control the halflings so that you have some involvement in the first fight of the game then go ahead. They are level 1 warriors except they are armed with three spears each. I hope it's not giving away too much to tell you that they followed Graorin and Athedru thinking that they were hunting Old Claws. They hoped to join the battle and claim part of the glory.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

What a misunderstanding, Graorin thinks to himself. Sorry, kids. He keeps running alongside Val (he respects him too much to ride him except in a true emergency), and rather selfishly leaves the halflings to fend for themselves. He came out here to be alone, not to hunt the local wildlife.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

"But...but...what if they die because we leave?" Athedru called out to Graorin, turning desperately between the giant crab and his human friend.

Fumbling with his crossbow, he hesitates, but fires a bolt straight at the monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"They've got no more business taking on something that big than we do!" Graorin calls out. "If they're not smart enough to realize it..." at which point he realizes Athedru is not, in fact, running after him. Oh hell, he thinks to himself and stops running. Just his luck, his best friend seems to have assigned himself the role of an external conscience.

(OOC: Graorin's wasted his whole turn running away and will probably need to run back next round. Also, nice natural 20!)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Devka slows down and gets as close as he can to the beast before launching his dagger at it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking at the map i think i will be in 45ft of the crab when i throw my dagger, which is a lovely -8 to my roll, so
    Dagger throw: to hit (1d20-1)[12]
    To damage (1d3+2)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case of a critical hit
    To confirm (1d20-1)[19]

23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ever continues to lead Ben and Kevst in the direction of their companions. It feels good to be exercising his legs, after spending most of the last several days confined on boats. His spear isn't much use as a walking stick at their hustling speed, but he still holds it in front of him, almost like a divining rod, tracing over the tracks in the air.

Their trek reminds him of days spent hiking through the forests of the isles, and suddenly Ever is struck with a bit of longing for a more wooded environment. Trees are good, steady company. They stay simple and true, yet they often have more to tell a good woodsman than most city folk would ever imagine.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Round 2 Summary
    Some running around and a few shots fired to very little effect. A bolt sticks in its shell but the thrown dagger just skittered off and landed in the sand and water nearby.
    Old Claws has taken 2 damage.

Round 3
    Map
    Spoiler
    Show

The halflings move a little more cautiously towards the giant crab waiting to get in to close range with their spears. Old Claws shifts its full attention to Devka, turning its back on the halflings and moving to attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Idiots!" Graorin growls to himself as he draws to a stop. "Idiots, idiots, idiots." He looks over at Val and shrugs. "No choice, right, Val?"

The horse tilts his head, looking at Graorin inquisitively.

"Right then," Graorin says, drawing his spear, and charges the crab, though he probably won't get there this round.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Devka looks up at the giant crab and grimaces. he pulls out his great axe and enters a rage. He feels his boil, his vision turns red and his mind turns to thoughts of only violence. He plants his feet firmly, gets ready to strike against the crab as soon as it enters his range and lets out an ear-shattering roar.

Spoiler
    Show

enters rage
    (readied action) Great axe: To hit: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[7]
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case of critical hit
    To confirm: (1d20+6)[22]

Spoiler
    Show
    Stat changes (i'll make adjustments for attacks in the actual attacks themselves)
    Hp: 16
    Ac: 16
    Str: 19 (+4)
    Con: 19 (+4)
    Will: +5
    Rage lasts 7 rounds
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2012-10-22 at 11:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes! I hit the crab!" Athedru called excitedly, his heart pounding as he faced the monstrous being.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shooting crossbow at Old Claws.

Attack: (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

The three halflings charge in and hurl their spears just before the crab reaches Devka.

Spoiler
    Show
    Halfling 1 to hit (1d20+4)[13]
    Halfling 1 damage (1d6)[3]
    Halfling 1 critical (1d20+4)[8]
    Halfling 1 damage if crit (1d6)[2]

Halfling 2 to hit (1d20+4)[10]
    Halfling 2 damage (1d6)[6]
    Halfling 2 critical (1d20+4)[24]
    Halfling 2 damage if crit (1d6)[6]

Halfling 3 to hit (1d20+4)[24]
    Halfling 3 damage (1d6)[5]
    Halfling 3 critical (1d20+4)[21]
    Halfling 3 damage if crit (1d6)[3]

The last halfling to reach the crab hurls his spear with uncanny precision, embedding it deep in a gap in its undershell. It checks its head long charge towards Devka, causing him to miss, and spins to face the spearmen.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-22 at 11:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As they head further and further from town Ben. Erin's to hope that he hasn't just set them off following their friends on a little, circular, walk in the brush.

He has confidence in Ever's abilities to find their friends amongst all this, conscious that he himself is not really at home beyond the edge of the "civilised" world.

He keeps casting one eye over to Kevst to make sure that the kid isn't flagging too much and hasn't fallen over anything.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst continues following the others further away from the town, all the while wondering why the heck their associates wandered off away from the group and why the heck Ben, Ever and Kevst were bothering to follow after them. They should be getting some hot food at the inn, not tramping around the wilderness.

Kevst was also wondering why Ben kept looking back at him. It was starting to creep him out.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!