New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Allomancy, a 3.5 Conversion

Spoiler
    Show
    Allomancy is one of the three magic systems in the Mistborn fantasy novel trilogy, and is the most prominent. People capable of Allomancy are known as Allomancers. Allomancers have the ability to "burn" (or use) metals, in order to fuel a variety of physical and mental enhancements and abilities. For an additional burst of power, they may flare, or burn their metal especially quickly, consuming it at an accelerated rate, but gaining greater benefits in return. A person who can only burn one metal is known as a Misting. If a person is born with the ability to burn more than one metal, they can burn all Allomantic metals, and are known as Mistborn.

There are 16 metals that Allomancers are able to use: 8 basic metals (4 base metals and 4 alloys) and 8 Higher metals (4 base metals and 4 alloys). There are also 3 additional metals referred to as 'God metals' that sit outside of the main 16, which have as many as 16 alloys each. All these metals must be pure when ingested, and the alloys must be mixed to specific proportions. If the metals are impure or mixed wrong the Allomancer could become very ill or possibly die.

What I'm trying to do is adapt that to d20, optimally 3.5. I'm also considering refluffing it to fit into a world other than Scadria. Input, advice, questions or other forms assistance/interest is appreciated.

Allomancy d20 Conversion as it stands:

The Basics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting or ending a 'burn' (using the metal) is a free action. Flaring and scrimping must be decided at the start of a burn. One round of burning uses a number of charges. Charges are regained from the use of allomantic vials, and fade after 24 hours. Scrimping divides the power of the metal in half for half the number of charges (rounding down when required, or to the nearest useable unit). Flaring multiplies the bonus by the number of charges used per round. Limit of flaring is x5 under normal circumstances.

Burning an improperly balanced allomantic metal sickens for 1d6 hours. Burning a non-allomantic metal is poisonous (DC 25 ingested, sickened 2d6 hours, 1d6 Con damage).

All powers have a range of 100ft unless otherwise stated.

Possible bonuses for being misting: Flaring up to x7? More targets per action? Longer duration? Increased bonuses? Combination of the above? Only ones eligible for savanthood (i.e. more bonuses/always flaring to x2 with no negative)? Thoughts and suggestions on this would be appreciated.

The Metals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steel/Iron: Activated. Allows metal objects to be pushed/pulled in a straight line as a move action. Range 60 feet (maybe more?). Lighter objects (and allomancers) are pushed/pulled at a speed of 15+5 per 15lbs difference (total, gear counts, as well as things bracing the pushed/pulled object). Max speed is 100, regardless of flaring (possibly more?). Max targets to be pushed/pulled per action is 2 (with ways to increase number of targets via feats, levels and stuff). Intangible blue lines connect the allomancer to all valid targets. Unable to push/pull when scrimping.

Tin: Passive. +4 (maybe +6?) to listen, search, spot. Sonic damage deafens on failed fortitude save (DC 10+damage, 2d4/1d8 rounds). Light sensitivity (perhaps light blindness instead?). 1 nonlethal per 5 lethal damage taken. Flaring grants Scent ability.

Pewter: Passive. +2 Strength, Dexterity, Fortitude, +10 speed. Not disabled/dying at 0 or less. Fight past -10 (and die immediately if the burn ends at -10 or less, removed when scrimping). Resistant to nonlethal damage (not knocked out at NLD>=HP, maybe?). DR 2/Piercing with Flaring.

Bronze: Passive. Detect Allomancy, 60ft range.

Copper: Passive. Protection from Detect Allomancy at 30ft range from allomancer. Self only immunity to Brass/Zinc.

Brass/Zinc: Activated (maybe passive/activated?). Not sure entirely yet. +4 (or +6) to diplomacy, intimidate and bluff both against the target? Unique bonuses each? They already have a myriad of roleplay affects.

Gold: Passive. Mostly a roleplay metal, it allows you to see, essentially, alternate versions of yourself. +3 to a random skill when burned.

Electrum: Another roleplay metal. It lets you see your own future. I dunno... maybe some sort of minor divination-like effect, if I had to give it a crunchy ability?

Cadmium: Passive. Stretches a bubble of time, making it pass slower. Stationary 13x13 bubble. Arrows and thrown items pass through normally, though if they pass completely through, the direction is slightly changed, resulting in a 20% miss chance. To the outside observer, everything within the bubble moves in slow motion, or stands completely still at higher flares. Base time conversion is 1 round of real time per 10 rounds in the bubble. Burn-rate would be in real time.

Bendalloy: Passive. Compresses a bubble of time, making it pass faster; same problem as cadmium, opposite effect. Stationary 2x2 bubble. Arrows and thrown items pass through normally, though if they pass completely through, the direction is slightly changed, resulting in a 20% miss chance. To the outside observer, everything within the bubble is nothing but a blur. Base time conversion is 1 round within the bubble per 10 rounds of real time. Burn-rate would be in real time.

Aluminum: This one is strange, but easy; it destroys other allomantic reserves in the body on a 1-1 basis. It burns instantly; immediate action to get rid of all your metals. It only really works for mistborn, though, since they can burn all metals.

Duralumin: Another strange one (I may have to rethink the Active/Passive paradigm). Duralumin forces you to flare your metal, at an increased bonus. Once I figure out what system balances out best, I'll work on this one more.

Chromium: An external version of aluminum. It lets you destroy another allomancers metals on a 2-1 basis. Doesn't burn instantly, though.

Nicrosil: The chromium of duralumin. It lets you enhance the metals of other allomancers. Again, once I figure out what system works best, I'll update this one.

Artefact Metals: These metals are powerful, hard to balance, and really more belong as the focuses of quests and stuff.

Larasium: Activated. This metal comes in 1 charge beads, and anyone that is not misting or mistborn may burn it. Larasium mixed with any one allomantic metal causes the burner to become a misting with that metal. Straight larasium, when burned, produces a mistborn. I'm debating letting a misting become mistborn in this way; thoughts? (See: Misting and Mistborn templates.)

Atium: Insanely freaking powerful, lets you see a brief moment into the future, and lets you act accordingly. Insight bonuses out the wazoo. Also extremely rare. 2+Wis mod (minimum 2) insight bonus to attack, damage, AC and saves.

Malatium: An alloy of gold and atium. Lets you see other people's alternate selves. What sort of bonuses would you think this gives? Maybe a massive bonus to social rolls? (Good lords, malatium and zinc/brass. Scary thought.)

Burn-rates
    {table=head]Metal|Burn-rate

Steel|2

Iron|2

Tin|1

Pewter|4

Bronze|2

Copper|1

Zinc|2

Brass|1

Gold|3

Electrum|5

Cadmium|3

Bendalloy|3

Aluminum|All

Duralumin|1+1 per flare boost

Chromium|2

Nicrosil|2+1 per flare boost

Larasium|N/A

Atium|5

Malatium|3[/table]

Allomancer Subtype and Templates
    Spoiler
    Show
    The allomancer subtype is much like the psionic subtype; it merely means that the subject has an allomantic reserve.

Misting
    Misting is an acquired template that can be added to any aberration, fey, giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have either ingested alloyed larasium or have Snapped into their (existing genetic) power.

Size and Type: Size remains unchanged. The creature gains the allomancer subtype, in addition to any other subtypes it may have.
    Special Qualities: A misting has all the special qualities of the base creature, as well as those described below.
    Allomancy (Su): A misting may pick one metal from the list of allomantic metals. They gain the ability to hold and use an allomantic reserve for the selected metal. Maximum allomantic reserve is equal to 15+(HDx3)+size modifier. If your size increases or decreases, so does your allomantic reserve. If this would cause your stored reserve to be greater then your maximum, you lose the excess.
    {table=head]Size|Modifier

Fine|-16

Diminuative|-12

Tiny|-8

Small|-4

Medium|0

Large|+4

Huge|+8

Gargantuan|+12

Colossal|+16[/table]
    Skills: +2 to appraise for items where metal is a significant part of the construction, otherwise same as base creature.
    Organization: Solitary, team (2-6) or same as base creature.
    Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +1.
    Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +1.

Mistborn
    Mistborn is an acquired template that can be added to any aberration, fey, giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have either ingested larasium or have Snapped into their (existing genetic) power.

Size and Type: Size remains unchanged. The creature gains the allomancer subtype, in addition to any other subtypes it may have.
    Special Qualities: A mistborn has all the special qualities of the base creature, as well as those described below.
    Allomancy (Su): A mistborn gains an allomantic reserve for all metals. Maximum allomantic reserve is equal to 15+(HDx2)+size modifier. If your size increases or decreases, so does your allomantic reserve. If this would cause your stored reserve to be greater then your maximum, you lose the excess.
    {table=head]Size|Modifier

Fine|-16

Diminuative|-12

Tiny|-8

Small|-4

Medium|0

Large|+4

Huge|+8

Gargantuan|+12

Colossal|+16[/table]
    Abilities: Same as base creature.
    Skills: +2 to appraise for items where metal is a significant part of the construction, otherwise same as base creature.
    Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +2.
    Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +2.

Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Allomantic Generation [Allomantic, General]
    You have learned how to draw power from the most obscure sources.
    Prerequisites: Level 3
    Benefit: You draw trace metals from the food you eat and the water you drink. Every day that you eat or drink, you gain 1 charge in your allomantic reserve.

Efficient Burning [Allomantic, General]
    Your experience with allomancy has taught you better use for your allomantic reserves.
    Prerequisites: Misting, Savant, Level 12
    Benefit: Each charge of your allomantic metal lasts two rounds, rather than one. (With the burn-rate system the burn-rate is reduced by 1. If this would reduce it to 0, use base effect.)

Expanded Allomantic Reserve [Allomantic, General]
    You can hold more in your allomantic reserves.
    Benefit: Choose one metal that you can burn. Your allomantic reserve for that metal is increased by 10.
    Special: This feat may be taken more than once. It's effects stack. If the same metal is chosen more than once, the allomantic reserve is increased by 5.

Savant [Allomantic, General]
    Constant reliance on your allomancy has increased your abilities with it.
    Prerequisites: Misting, Level 12
    Benefit: The bonuses gained from burning a metal are always treated as one level of burn higher than normal.

Prestige Classes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Allomancy Master
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Reflex|Will|Special
    [/table]
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2013-07-17 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Miss busy bee is busy.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Allomancy, a Balanced 3.5 Conversion

That sounds like a whole base class to me.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you want a direct conversion, I would just make it a feat that grants you access to the subsystem. Simple as that.

Given that this is supposed to be balanced next to the other magic systems, though, I would just make a Mistborn base class.

Maybe a 3-5 level PrC for Mistings.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-11-01 at 12:25 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hm. It's possible. I'd need to build up the subsystem a bit. I was considering a skill-based system at first, but I don't think that skill checks would have worked out for something like this.

The class is possible. I've been working on it, but that has it's own set of problems. Like the fact that it technically is not limited by level, but by practice (which is normally tied into level, but that's neither here nor there).

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I think there may have been an earlier attempt at this on this site, try the following as a google search. It may not work, but it should give you the idea of how to do this sort of search.
    site:www.giantitp.com allomancer
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If you were to ignore the flaring of metals, you could probably just refluff [carefully] a Warlock to get most of the effects you need here.

Steel, being seemingly the most common, could be based on Eldritch Blast and you could have a selection of metal slots to use metals in, beyond that, simply treating them as loseable objects that fuel class features.

The fancy ones would have to be magic items, mind. Atium being basically a permanent Foresight spell...

If you have a list of the metals and what they can do, i'm willing to have a go at making a class for you, or at least helping...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Allomancy for the list of metals and the over all ability of allomancy.

THe main problem is that I want to stay close to canon (in feel, not in power. Vin and Kelsier were, like, level 10+ over.) As such, metal would be burned and lost, 'charges' have to be expended within 24 hours and so on. Prices for allomantic vials would get prohibative pretty quickly; 10 rounds of atium would be more costly than 100 rounds of gold.

I saw the thread on allomancy a while back, but it doesn't feel like they got very far. I suppose the main problem is the fact that you get all of the ability up-front. There is no 'levels of allomantic power'; either you burn steel and can coinshoot and the like, or you can't. Either you burn copper and make a coppercloud, or you can't.

It may not be a magic system, per se. It is a type of magic yes, but it's not even as remotely traditional as a warlock. The feats make sense to a point, but it limits the overall potential (unless I get REALLY in depth with the feats.... which would take forever and a day).

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Atium would be priced based on its actual effects as a magic item

As i've not read the books and know for a fact that you can't balance anything based on gold, i wish you luck in your endevour.

Peace!
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lemme rephrase. Atium wouldn't be a magic item, per se. It is a rare metal, and it burns quickly. It's a precious resource. A vial of atium would have roughly the same amount of metal, but would not last nearly as long. Where as copper might have 50 charges a vial, atium would only have 5. The gold thing has a bit to do with incentive not to abuse the power. Mostly it's just a role playing thing, but gold is a factor in over all balance. Perhaps not ultimately whether it's good or not, but it does factor in, in small doses.

I realize that it seems horribly broken for d20 (well, honestly, it is, but I'm a glutton for punishment), but I'm compelled to try. It kinda goes hand-in-hand with a friends project to make chormatheurgy work (which is from a totally different book series). I think the best way to start is to put the limits on that keep it from overpowering other things.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I would strongly suggest moving away from the fluff of the series, and making it so that allomancers don't need to purchase their metals. I know that breaks what the books say in half, and makes all of the PC's mistborn rather than mistings, but for the sake of balance, it probably will work better. That, or let them create them easily themselves. Say give them five base metals, and SLA's or a point-based thing tied to each one, and at higher levels let them learn how to alloy them properly to create new effects. These guys will top out at tier 2, maximum, simply due to lack of versatility. Yeah, they have 16 effects, but wizards have as many as there's wizard spells.

A thought on how the alloys/points thing could work (please, forget you read the books while you read this) :

Let's go with Steel, Tin, Bronze, Pewter and Brass. These could either be dictated at creation, or chosen from a list, with the option to gain more later. The Allomancer could have a total limit of 10 points each to begin with, or we could have it be malleable at creation, say, having ten points in three metals, nine in one and eleven in the last.

As long as the Allomancer consumes (eats? I dunno) a given amount of each metal per day, they can use the powers, up to the limit dictated by the number of points they have associated with the metal. I'd recommend using the psionic power point system as a baseline for this. Surging, I think it's called, could allow you to use multiple points at once for a greater effect.

Alloying could be a developed power that allows the Allomancer to internally combine the consumed metals, either entirely or in part, to create a new effect. We might want to break away from the canon to do this, as it's a little constricting from what I can see. A Allomancer could combine a point of Steel and a point of Bronze to make two points of....something. Bronze-Steel alloy, that would have a different effect.

We'd need to do a lot of work to make this workable, but it's a start.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Edit: The above post already made this point and I missed it. Alas.

What if you made it somewhat like psionics, in that you have a limit to how much you can safely burn at a single time that is based on your level. Then have a series of tables that say how each metal scales with expenditure.

Flaring is like overchannelling, you can do it but you get nasty stat damage.

Coinshot for instance, perhaps does a maximum of 1d6 damage per point of metal spent if used to propel a projectile, and has limits analogous to telekinesis.
    Maybe you need to spend at least 3 to even consider moving certain things.

That'd take care of the power growth curve, but it wouldn't help with making the versatility grow.
    Last edited by NichG; 2011-11-02 at 01:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I was actually thinking about doing a project like this a while back, but never got around to it. I love Sanderson's work and would be a big fan of any attempt to translate it to an RPG medium.

That said, I think to be successful in doing so, you'd have to just swallow the discomfort and come to terms with the fact that major departures from cannon will be necessary.

1) Leveling up, as you pointed out, usually controls power in these types of games. The "all-or-nothing" approach to allomancy (either you have it or you don't) just doesn't translate well. Level progression is necessary and probably the best you could do is making represent the character's practice.
    2) Mistborn are objectively stronger than Mistings, but that just isn't much fun in a game. At the very least it might make sense to have Mistings automatically become savants as they level up.
    3) Flaring is a built in mechanic that is once again "all-or-nothing." This one might be workable in a system that gives you effectively spell points or power points for the day if it acts as a sort of nova, but it could also be a good idea to make it a progression sort of thing.
    4) I highly discourage making allomanic powers actually based on resources (ie consuming metals). Characters might still do this thematically, but it shouldn't cost money to use class powers. Plus, some sort of daily limit needs to be in place anyway.

So those are some of the challenges I see. Here are some of the (extremely crude) ideas that come to mind.

1) Mistborn could "unlock" different alloys as they level up. Not terribly desirable because it's just not the way the system worked.
    2) All the alloys could be available to them at level one, but you could write up different, more powerful, effects they can make with them as they level up. This isn't terribly against the theme of the novels as skill determined a lot of what an allomancer was capable of and in game version XP is the best metric of practice and training you may be able to have.
    3) If you had a progression of abilities that you could produce by burning a metal, flaring could allow you to accomplish abilities another step up on the power scale (or a few). This would allow flaring off the bat, but also make it something that progresses with the character as they level up.
    4) Each allomancer's body could have a "tolerance" for metals that only allows them to consume so much in a given day. This would create a resource management system similar to spells/day or power points (probably more like the latter as they would be able to burn metals for any effect they are capable of at any time). As they level up they would their tolerance would go up.

Dunno if any of my ramblings make sense or offer any help, but good luck.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Never read the series, but as someone who HATES when conversions don't match the fluff of the original, here are my suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrion View Post
    1) Leveling up, as you pointed out, usually controls power in these types of games. The "all-or-nothing" approach to allomancy (either you have it or you don't) just doesn't translate well. Level progression is necessary and probably the best you could do is making represent the character's practice.
    Or make each possibility a template, perhaps with one or more PrCs (which probably ONLY require the template, although ranks in Knowledge(Metalurgy) or Arcana or Spellcraft could be used if necessary).
    2) Mistborn are objectively stronger than Mistings, but that just isn't much fun in a game. At the very least it might make sense to have Mistings automatically become savants as they level up.
    In which case this would be a template with a lower LA/CR adjustment.
    3) Flaring is a built in mechanic that is once again "all-or-nothing." This one might be workable in a system that gives you effectively spell points or power points for the day if it acts as a sort of nova, but it could also be a good idea to make it a progression sort of thing.
    Fold this into the template? Or, if you insist, have the PrCs progress it.
    4) I highly discourage making allomanic powers actually based on resources (ie consuming metals). Characters might still do this thematically, but it shouldn't cost money to use class powers. Plus, some sort of daily limit needs to be in place anyway.
    Expensive material components are never cited as a major draw-back of magic-users... which is to say that if you keep any given metal either:
    1. Cheap enough it isn't really a problem for a character who can use it (IE look at the WBL for the campaign and cross reference that with the LA on the templates/level access to the metal is gotten).
    2. Ultra-rare enough to qualify as a quest-item rather than something you actually PURCHASE per-se most of the time.

2) All the alloys could be available to them at level one, but you could write up different, more powerful, effects they can make with them as they level up. This isn't terribly against the theme of the novels as skill determined a lot of what an allomancer was capable of and in game version XP is the best metric of practice and training you may be able to have.
    Ah, in which case, "you either are or are not a mistborn/mistling" holds only slightly more water (at best) than "you either are or are not a sorcerer" or "you either are or are not a warlock"... if they always start with better skills than that, then just make it as a hybrid base-class/template... which is to say, a base class that no character may ever have less than X levels of, but can certainly have MORE than that. The minimum number of levels represents someone who has just discovered they have the talent , and/or it was known since they were a baby, and they have just reached adventuring age (on the LOWEST rank of the starting age chart...). Perhaps do something funky to nerf skill-points for those levels... saves, and ESPECIALLY hitpoints are more a construct of the game than anything else. The simplest way would be to give NO skill points for levels 2 through X, where X is the minimum number of levels of the class you can have.
    3) If you had a progression of abilities that you could produce by burning a metal, flaring could allow you to accomplish abilities another step up on the power scale (or a few). This would allow flaring off the bat, but also make it something that progresses with the character as they level up.
    4) Each allomancer's body could have a "tolerance" for metals that only allows them to consume so much in a given day. This would create a resource management system similar to spells/day or power points (probably more like the latter as they would be able to burn metals for any effect they are capable of at any time). As they level up they would their tolerance would go up.

Dunno if any of my ramblings make sense or offer any help, but good luck.
    And I hope that my ramblings help you bring it back closer to the books.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-11-03 at 06:12 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Gomenasai, I've been dealing with life.)

All of these suggestions are good, and I'll take it into consideration. It'll take quite a bit of playtesting before I'm comfortable with it, though, even if I were to take the changes to heart. I'm surprised at the popularity of this thread, actually.

I have no problem with departing from the fluff in terms of power (I had planned on creating a allomancer base/prestige class to allow for the super-stuff from Mistborn). THat said, I'm trying to keep the feel of allomancy close, even if you don't become a 'roid-monster by burning pewter. THere are a few things that I'll say now, I'm likely going to be very inflexible about. Acquisition of the materials is part of the feel, and limits how much you can get a hold of. THey'd be like exotic material components for spells.

My original plan was actually to provide basic (low power) allomancy via feats. It would be limited by the number of targets you can affect (without feats, practice through either skills or class-levels) and a relatively low bonus compared to the fluff. I'm sorry, but +20 from pewter to strength is a little.... much. In order to advance, you would need to either take levels in a base class (I'm thinking possibly something wizard-like in that you can either specialize and get bonuses, or generalist and use everything) or a PrC. THe PrC fits better thematically, and allow me to cram a bunch of nice fluff-emulations in a small space.

On that note, I'm mostly making the system for my game world, and I as a DM like dramatics, like Shadowrun. Taking the feat does not necessarily you have instant access to the powers; you need to actually earn them (or Snap, as the book calls it). And Snapping as an adventurer is actually a lot harder than it is if, say, you're a street rat that's about to get caught and killed. For me, it's as much a way to promote roleplaying as it is a new source of power.

Ironically, as a fan of the psionics system, I'm not sure it would fit in the goal of 'feel, but not power' for this conversion. On the one hand, the points system works (I was already going to use something similar), but on the other, you have to spend more points to get an effect that thematically you could do in your sleep (or with the tiniest bit of training). Truth be told, out of the 18 allomantic metals, only about half of them have combat use. The others are better off as skill bonuses, like spot and such.

What I'm generally aiming for for each part is: Scrimping for a longer burn, but less of a total boost. Burning for a nice, though limited boost. Flaring for a massive increase in the power you gain, at the cost of less time available. The current working limit for flaring is x5 (that is, you get up to 5 times the bonus, but you use 5 rounds at once, instead of one at a time). Regular burning is equal to roughly a 2nd level spell, though some of said burns emulate several of these spells at once. Iron/Steel are basically two parts of a powerful, metal only, Telekinesis spell.

I knew I forgot to mention something: The allomancy powers that directly affect the world only work on metal. Powerful against, say, a full-armed paladin. Not so much against a nature embracing druid. Not that big of a deal, but something worth noting. I'll summarize and grab the system I've been working on in my spare time to see what people think.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

The current super-short summary of Allomancy (d20)

Spoiler
    Show
    REMEMBER: I haven't set a level limit for the power yet. I'm considering at least level 3 to take the feats unless given as a class feature.

Starting or ending a 'burn' (using the metal) is a free action. Flaring and scrimping must be decided at the start of a burn. 1 round of burning equals one allomantic charge. Charges are regained from the use of allomantic vials. Scrimping divides the power of the metal in half (rounding down when required, or to the nearest useable unit). Flaring multiplies the bonus by the number of charges used per round. Limit of flaring is x5 under normal circumstances.

Burning an improperly balanced allomantic metal sickens for 2d6 hours. Burning a non-allomantic metal is poisonous (DC 25 ingested, sickened 2d6 hours, 2d6 Con damage).

Possible bonuses for being misting: Flaring up to x7? More targets per action?Longer duration? Increased bonuses? Combination of the above? Only ones eligible for savanthood (i.e. more bonuses/always flaring to x2 with no negative)? Thoughts and suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Steel/Iron: Activated. Allows metal objects to be pushed/pulled as a move action. Range 60 feet (maybe more?). Lighter objects (and allomancers) are pushed/pulled at a speed of 15+5 per 15lbs difference (total, gear counts, as well as things bracing the pushed/pulled object). Max speed is 100, regardless of flaring (possibly more?). Max targets to be pushed/pulled per action is 2 (with ways to increase number of targets via feats, levels and stuff).

Tin: Passive. +4 (maybe +6?) to listen, search, spot. Sonic damage deafens on failed fortitude save (DC 10+damage, 2d4/1d8 rounds). Light sensitivity (perhaps light blindness instead?). 1 nonlethal per 5 lethal damage taken. Flaring grants Scent ability, +2 to Wis based skill checks (i.e. skills requiring increased perception).

Pewter: Passive +4 Strength, Dexterity, Fortitude, +10 speed, DR 2/piercing. Not disabled/dying at 0 or less. Fight past -10 (and die immediately if the burn ends at -10 or less). Resistant to nonlethal damage (not knocked out at NLD>=HP, maybe?).

Bronze: Passive. Detect Allomancy, 60ft range.

Copper: Passive. Protection from Detect Allomancy at 30ft range from allomancer. Self only immunity to Brass/Zinc.

Brass/Zinc: Activated (maybe passive/activated?). Not sure entirely yet. +4 (or +6) to diplomacy, intimidate and bluff both against the target? Unique bonuses each? They already have a myriad of roleplay affects.

Any metal not listed, I'm still working on. Perhaps a mistborn can only burn 2 metals at once, increased via feats/base levels/PrC levels?

My personal view on the different alloys and stuff: Setting specific. My world, Tallal, might include weather/temperature affecting metals. After all, the frostbite elves work with cryore (an ice-like metal native to the northern part of the continent), which feasibly could lower temperatures around the allomancer.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    For the longest time after I read the series I talked with a lot of friends about the possibilities of this, and we concluded that Mistings would simply be a shorter class than Mistborn would. Furthermore, we must remember that Sanderson's world is fairly low-magic compared to D&D, so the comparisons for balance will have to be limited. We also decided that Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy are all resource-based systems, not magic systems per se. Since metals are consumed by allomancy, used to store energies by feruchemy and release/unlock energies with hemalurgy, the "magic" is really in its enabler: metals. They still must be paid for, or otherwise could be made via fabricate or such spells.

I think making Mistings into an E6 class would work well. It gives the finished approach of a full class with fewer levels and more limitations but with the scope of something greater. Mistborn could just be a base class.

As for gaining base metals, you might want to do a bit of thinking... Remember that all of these metals and their uses came about because of a technology-based need for metals...and the metals became diverted from strict tech into fuel for the magic systems. In D&D, I think it would take a campaign setting to make this most feasible, and EVEN THEN, metals still have to be bought. The thing is, these metals will comprise most of the cost of an allomancer's equipment (Once again, even weapons were nearly always nonmagical).

Finally, the Mistborn series has a lot of influence from the Heist genre...so a team of heroes are like tier 4 or so casters combined with some tier 4 or 5 fighters, and a tier 3 caster (a mistborn) to back them up.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2011-11-04 at 04:38 PM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

this sounds alot like SEIKON NO QWASER to me, Alchemy and the ability to manipulate a specific element l would go and have a look it many help with any ideas to further your class

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/seikon_no_qwaser/
    Last edited by Hentai_BookStor; 2011-11-04 at 07:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have much experience with E6, honestly. It's not much my forte. I will be fair, this is not necessarily looking for help with a mistborn/misting class, but rather balancing an allomancy system in which allomancy stands up to other character types. I already know that either mistborn will be a stand alone base-class with misting being a prestige class, or that they are both part of a wizard/psion hybrid. Templating allomancy sounds appealing at first, but part of the strangeness of allomancy is that it's powers can go completely unknown until they are awakened, if they ever are.

Resource basing is not as much of an issue as many people may think. Take a wizard, for example. There are many, many spells that require material components. A good portion of these spells are more powerful than others of the same level. There are a number of these in which the PHB itself states that the cost is negligible (i.e. no specific cost is listed), and you can always say you have them so long as you have your spell component pouch. Put into these terms, you still have to pay for the materials, in the form of the spell component pouch. Games with more realism may require restocking of said pouch. Then there are the expensive spell components. Is allomancy really so different from arcane magic in that case?

Please bear in mind, that I seek only to emulate the feel of allomancy in a d20 game. I do not seek to recreate the Mistborn series, as that is what Mistborn Adventures from White Wolf is for.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a thought, but I'd recommend treating steel, or whichever metal lets you push metals around and shoot them at people, like a warlock's eldritch blast. Mechanically, going pew-pew is fairly similar whether it's unholy/fey energy or a little coin thingy. I'd recommend letting them eventually make trip, disarm, etc attacks with their abilities. I know this removes a large part of their in-canon powers, but it would make for a more simplistic class. You could include a repel metal effect at higher levels, or with a flare. Dunno how that would fit into a point system, but it's a thought.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's possible, though that would mean that you would absolutely have to take class levels in order to be an allomancer. I'll admit, there are things that you can/should only be able to do with training (see: The Horseshoe Trick), but at the same time, I wouldn't want to penalize a player for being creative. That's where a lot of the power of allomancy comes from, in my opinion; being creative enough to think of things that other people would overlook. (Again, see: The Horseshoe Trick.)

That's part of the reason why I'm trying to stabilize the system before working on classes. After all, we wouldn't have wizards if we didn't know how spellcasting worked (well, I suppose we could, it would just get a lot more complicated a lot faster). Perhaps a list of 'allomantic tricks' that you can learn, kinda like skill tricks?

I do like the idea about steel being like the eldritch blast, but I'm not sure that it'd work, unless you keep a bunch of worthless coins or metal balls around just for that. Since, technically, all it is is a one-way Telekinesis effect. Like Launch Item (Spell Compendium) on steroids.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alright, since the flavor of the setting doesn't seem to support a progression-based mechanic like most things in D&D, let me suggest something else.

None of the effects seem to be inherently very powerful unless you make the numbers big. Why not just make this a +1/+2 LA Race/Template? (+1 for Mistings, +2 for Mistborn). Maybe even +0/+1, but replacing your other racial benefits for the +0.

Its a significant cost for the versatility, and it lets you make the entire thing resource limited (significant at lower levels, and at higher levels you can just have as much as you want of stuff but the power doesn't scale). Then you just want to make sure that the effects are more about being able to do things than being able to dish out big numbers. Pewter seems like it might be the only one that really causes a problem with this since its explicitly a sort of instant super-steroid effect.

For Pewter I'd probably propose +2 to Str checks for Scrimping, the effects of Barbarian's Rage for burning, and the upgraded Barbarian's Rage for one round for Flaring. If you like a little more punch, make the Flaring one be the Frenzied Berserker's rage, so you just don't die for a round.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Barbarian rage had been proposed by the friend on Yahoo. THe problem is that the inherent drawbacks of the rage do no apply to pewter. It does not change your state of mind. It merely augments your body, similar to how Tin augments your senses. It's hard to balance, because the bonuses may be small, but they are powerful. Perhaps knocking off the Fort save bonus and/or the dex bonus and.... hm. The others are already trimmed down versions of the fluff-based powers (some of which were already removed for balance sake). Perhaps make the DR contingent on flaring?

I'm starting to think that a template may be the only way to go, even though I much prefer the idea of a feat. Though, a feat would require more storytelling and a DM willing to hand out story-based feats. Fine, a template it is. (Race wouldn't work, since it's a genetic trait that can appear in anyone who can trace their history to an allomancer.) It would have to be acquired, though can be given sporadically under the proper circumstances (namely, either Snapping or being made misting/mistborn via larasium).

EDIT: D'oh! I just remembered one of the drawbacks of pewter: Resistance to NLD and ending a burn at less than -9. Resistance is not immunity, and you could very well end up passing out after ending a burn if you have taken enough NLD (see: Pewter Drag). Likewise, if you are at -10 or less when you stop burning, you don't get any warning that you may die, you just do. In fact, pewterarms tend to not know where their physical damage limit is anymore, especially when flaring. Perhaps on such an occasion, the DM should only tell you that you take damage, and they keep track of your total?
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2011-11-05 at 06:21 PM.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Templating allomancy sounds appealing at first, but part of the strangeness of allomancy is that it's powers can go completely unknown until they are awakened, if they ever are.
    That just means that technically it is an "acquired" template, rather than an "inherited" one. A character might start with it, or might gain it later. Of course this creates some problems when you get a player who (perhaps for pure RP reasons) want to play a character who is later going to become a mistborn or misting, but you can't have everything.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-11-06 at 03:49 AM.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah. In general, it was going to be the type of thing that a player and a DM would agree on ahead of time anyway. Technically, this gives more freedom; the DM can give the template to a character that he feels qualifies for it anytime they have a moment to Snap. I should define a Snap next... And adding in the blue lines to metal objects when burning steel/iron.

Spoiler
    Show
    The allomancer subtype is much like the psionic subtype; it merely means that the target has allomantic power.

And now, the first of two templates. (You are about to see what I was avoiding writing up the template.)

Misting
    Misting is an acquired template that can be added to any giant, humanoid or monstrous humanoid. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have either ingested alloyed larasium or have Snapped into their (existing genetic) power.

Hit Dice: Same as base creature.
    Speed: Same as base creature.
    Armor Class: Same as base creature.
    Attack: Same as base creature.
    Full Attack: Same as base creature.
    Special Attacks: Same as base creature.
    Special Qualities: A misting has all the special qualities of the base creature, as well as those described below.
    Allomancy (Su): A misting may pick one metal from the list of allomantic metals. They gain the ability to hold and use an allomantic reserve for the selected metal.
    Abilities: Same as base creature.
    Skills: +2 to appraise, otherwise same as base creature.
    Feats: Same as base creature.
    Environment: Same as base creature.
    Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +2.
    Treasure: Same as base creature.
    Alignment: Same as base creature.
    Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +1.

EDIT: The template will be getting a touch up in the first post. It should be completely finished within the hour, but give me two, since I'm easily distracted.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2011-11-06 at 07:40 PM.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Two templates? An organized opening post?!

Madness!

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

An elegant solution, Byzantine!

EDIT: Tin shouldn't cause light blindness, per se, but should cause sensitivity. Maybe perhaps require a Fort save to avoid blindness when encountering light.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2011-11-07 at 11:16 PM.

more

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you. I couldn't have done it without the others here.

Perhaps. It does seem like that would be a more appropriate choice. Maybe, once I write out the official paragraph; Burning tin increases the allomancer's sensitivity to light. Abrupt exposure to bright light requires a DC 15 fortitude save, or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. They also gain the light sensitivity trait. If the allomancer already possessed this trait, it then becomes light blindness.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Thank you. I couldn't have done it without the others here.

Perhaps. It does seem like that would be a more appropriate choice. Maybe, once I write out the official paragraph; Burning tin increases the allomancer's sensitivity to light. Abrupt exposure to bright light requires a DC 15 fortitude save, or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. They also gain the light sensitivity trait. If the allomancer already possessed this trait, it then becomes light blindness.
    Sounds good. Bad for Orcs or Drow to burn, okay for humans.

more

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Should the appraise bonus only apply to thinks made out of metal?
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm considering that, though I will probably raise it to a +4 in that case. The appraise bonus is there mostly so that there's some change to the template other than subtype and level adjustment. Allomancy is enough to warrant a level adjustment, but at the same time, it feel kind of empty if that's all you get. After all, you don't even get ability bonuses, which is something players expect when they get a template. Then again, if you're mistborn, or a Thug misting, you already have some nice bonuses going for you.

I'm open to feat and PrC suggestions. I know there are some more things I can put into feats to help with emulating the feel from the books, I'm just not sure what they are exactly yet.

Currently in store for PrCs:
    • Allomantic Savant, a mistborn savant option.
    • Hazekiller, a PrC for those who wish to combat allomancers.
    • Allomancy Master, a path to powerful allomantic ability, like steel-pulling another's allomantic reserve. (level 15+)
    • Perfect Misting, power-enhancing misting PrC.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2011-11-08 at 11:19 AM.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template